Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

networking printer?

I would like to network a printer.... so I can print from any computer in the house.

What would I need to accomplish this?

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Is the printer physically connected to one of the computers? If so, it's pretty easy. I'm assuming you are on some sort of windows flavor. Right-click on the printer and hit sharing, then share the printer. On your other machines, use the add printer wizard and when you get to the page of where it is located, select a printer on my network, browse to it, and hit add.

I typed this up from memory, so the exact wording may be off, but it is pretty straight forward.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Raiine View Post
    Is the printer physically connected to one of the computers? If so, it's pretty easy. I'm assuming you are on some sort of windows flavor. Right-click on the printer and hit sharing, then share the printer. On your other machines, use the add printer wizard and when you get to the page of where it is located, select a printer on my network, browse to it, and hit add.

I typed this up from memory, so the exact wording may be off, but it is pretty straight forward.
    The printer is hard-wired to a PC running Windows XP, and I have 3 PC's that are run off a wireless internet connection (all running windows vista ultimate) so I would like to print from those 3 computers that are wireless.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I've had a good experience with my Lexmark wireless printer- basically I do the initial configuration on the cable, then run the driver install on the client systems. Less annoyance than trying to get a mix-mode share that doesn't work. Bonus: the printer is cheapish. Just be warned the ink gets expensive for color printing o_o;

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

As mentioned, the simple way is to just share the printer on the computer it's connected to, and connect to it from the other computers. It does require that the host computer is on n' such, which can be an inconvenience.

Depending on the printer, it may have a network port on it already. It's becoming a more common feature to find. If so, you can connect it to your network, give it an IP address, and then you'd install it by installing a "local printer" with a custom port, then just make a TCP/IP port with the IP address. Sounds hard, it's not.

Some printer brands (well, HP offhand) have boxes/cards you can install to add network functionality to a printer. HP's are Jetdirect.

There are also print servers you can get to put on a network. For instance http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=482
    Might be able to find a router with a print server built in as well, but no models spring to mind offhand.

If you're open to getting a new printer, I would look at a network laser. You can get a color network laser printer for $300-350 now...toner costs a LOT for them though. If it's a higher volume printer, a B&W laser would probably be a better idea. For occasional home use, the initial cartridges will probably last a couple years+