Item Search
     
BG-Wiki Search
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 479
  1. #381
    Smells like Onions
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3
    BG Level
    0
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

    ---

    1

    I feel that the nature of any game that involves playing with other people means that there will be those that are greedy and ignorant. I've met more than a few in my time playing. I usually don't hold a grudge; I focus more on the good relationships with players I have.

    2
    No. When I first started, I knew of some very helpful JP players, but I was never aware of a list.

    3
    JP players can use their "JP Button", the button that allows them to do anything perfectly, for the better of my party. Unfortunately, I can't understand them when they speak, and I always worry that they're making fun of me. This fear comes from an incident in which I had captured some text in a screenshot, thinking nothing of it, and found out some very mean things were being said about me behind my back.

    4
    The Japanese players that have insulted me have generally done so on an individual level, and I would not hold other Japanese players accountable for it.

    5
    If I'm using auto-translate, that means I'm trying to reach the broadest audience possible. If you need a Mission, and I am shouting for it, just send me a "Yes, Please." I'm sure we can work together.

    6
    The players I know that dislike Japanese fall into two categories. The first are ignorant individuals. The second have been wronged by Japanese players in the past and still hold a grudge. I think this problem would be lessened if the auto-translator was fleshed out more, so that we could communicate with greater ease. I also remind you that while the game started as a Japanese game, Final Fantasy is a strong franchise over here, and many people chose to join FFXI without considering the other players and their nationalities.

    7
    In August alone, 4 of my friends joined. The game has a steep learning curve, though, so those that want to play but do not have any friends that do are definitely at a disadvantage.

    8
    The proper term is "elitist." However, I've no respect for people who think they are better than other players because their characters are better than another's. Remember, all it takes for a pawn to become a rook is to cross the chess board.

    9
    The only people I know who have ever cared for RMT are younger players who get frustrated with the difficulty of breaking into the game. They usually don't realize the harm that RMT causes. I combat this by taking time out to help out younger players.

    Tt is not uncommon for us to see a player who is high level yet who is terrible at his job and insult him by asking "How much did you pay for your character?" I feel this statement sums up how we generally feel about RMT.

    10
    My girlfriend loves subligar far more than she should. She was excited when I made her a signed Republic Subligar, and she wears it all the time. I am not a fan of the german bondage gear. Instead, I purchased a full Garish Tunic Set simply for looks.

    Bonus statement:
    I first started playing this game in July 2004. I started in Bastok, and was so confused! A Japanese player took pity on me when I died on my level 3 RDM. Not only did she raise me, she gave me a small amount of gil and, as best as she could, pointed out various NPCs to me. It was tough, as I did not speak Japanese, but I enjoyed being shown around town. She also replaced my onion sword with a Wax Sword +1 she made for me.

    This has had a large impact on my play style. I try to be helpful to all new players, even though many have burned me in the past in their own selfishness. To remind me of this, I still have that Wax Sword +1. I also remind myself that the player behind every character, regardless of what language he or she speaks, is a person just like.

  2. #382
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    298
    BG Level
    4

    1
    Have you ever had someone from your own country do something bad to you? For example, they invite you to replace someone, and when you get there, they just disband. Do you hold a grudge against the person who invited you in that case, or do you think “Oh well,” and just forget about it?


    Constantly, I've had many more negative experiences with NA players than with any other region. I generally tend to remember the names of anybody who does those things to me, and I'll go out of my way to avoid partying with them.

    2
    I heard that on foreign boards there is a list of useful Japanese players that will help people out. Do you really have such a list?


    I don't have such a list on a forum, no, but I do have quite a few names of old JP friends who have all since quit. But if any of them ever pop back up on Asura, I'll hit them up straight away.


    3
    I don’t go out of my way to invite NA players to my party, but NA players often invite Japanese players. What are the benefits and drawbacks of inviting a Japanese player to your party?


    I tend to invite JPs over NAs of similar level/job merely because I know they will usually party for longer periods of time. Most japanese players only look for a group if they plan on partying for at least a few hours, as far as I can tell, whereas NA players are more likely to join a party for a half hour, and leave.


    4
    Has there been a time when a Japanese player has hurt or insulted you? Also, what are some actions that are normal for us that you find disagreeable? I’m interested to know and would like to hear your thoughts.


    Not very often, no. I've been kicked from parties due to the "JP Only" sentiment, but that was much more prevalent years ago when I started (NA Launch through.....about ToAU release) than it is nowadays. It quite upset me then, because I was just a kid who wanted some XP, and I'd never treat somebody the same way.


    5
    Lots of NA players exclusively use Auto-Translate when recruiting for Assault and other activities. Does this mean that you are targeting Japanese players as well? I’m fairly knowledgeable when it comes to Missions and Assault, but I barely know any English, and worry if I should even send a tell.


    I do auto-translate because I would like anybody and everybody who can read my shout to be interested in coming along. Not knowing my language isn't something I really consider a barrier -- I feel that I can convey most messages through auto-translate, or through simple english words, which most japanese players I've met would understand.

    6
    I’ve had a foreign player say to me, “I hate Japanese people.” But Final Fantasy is a Japanese game. If you hate us, why play?


    Because people are stupid. That's what it boils down to -- There are tons of ridiculous prejudices held by people for ridiculous reasons.

    7
    A lot of time has passed since service began in Japan, and you barely see any new subscribers coming in. Are there new NA players still joining?


    There are some new NA players, but it seems to have mostly crawled to a stand still. Most new players I see nowadays aren't really new players, but a new account for an existing player.

    8
    In Japan, players that play long periods of time, have many Lvl 75 jobs, possess tons of high-level equipment, and who are usually filled with prejudice and contempt are called 廃人 <[ ( hai jin ) " High Level person but disable from living real life " ]>. Is there a similar name you use for NA players who are like that?


    We call them freaks who need to go outside. (I have 10 75s. I need to go outside more.) I don't think most NAs with a lot of jobs are filled with contempt or prejudice, however. I think they're mostly just people who are very good at managing their time.... Or kids who live in their mother's basement.

    9
    Is there opposition against the practice of RMT or the use of third party tools? What do you do if your friend or Linkshell uses them? How do you feel about RMT業者 (gyou sha) or gil farmers?


    I've despised RMT since day one, as I would imagine nearly everybody who plays this game legitimately has. I have a problem with any third party tools which give an actual unfair advantage to those who use them (E.g. claim bots, flee tools, etc.) -- But windower, and most plugins, I have no issue with.


    10
    In Japan, there are some people who are huge subligar fans. Are there any amongst foreign players, or is there another piece of equipment that is especially popular?


    Subligars are a huge hit for many American players as well. Personally, I hate the damn things. My girlfriend won't stop staring at elvaans in subligars. MAKE IT STOP!

  3. #383
    Puppetmaster
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    52
    BG Level
    2

    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer the Pointy View Post

    1
    Have you ever had someone from your own country do something bad to you? For example, they invite you to replace someone, and when you get there, they just disband. Do you hold a grudge against the person who invited you in that case, or do you think “Oh well,” and just forget about it?
    If the person doesn't apologize... then I'll complain.

    2
    I heard that on foreign boards there is a list of useful Japanese players that will help people out. Do you really have such a list?
    No

    3
    I don’t go out of my way to invite NA players to my party, but NA players often invite Japanese players. What are the benefits and drawbacks of inviting a Japanese player to your party?
    In general, I find that JP players usually know what to do. If they're a mage, they'll do their best as a mage. Same concept as DD and tank.

    4
    Has there been a time when a Japanese player has hurt or insulted you? Also, what are some actions that are normal for us that you find disagreeable? I’m interested to know and would like to hear your thoughts.
    Its usually because they don't apologize for incidents like question !.


    5
    Lots of NA players exclusively use Auto-Translate when recruiting for Assault and other activities. Does this mean that you are targeting Japanese players as well? I’m fairly knowledgeable when it comes to Missions and Assault, but I barely know any English, and worry if I should even send a tell.
    If SE gave NA players an option to write hiragana/katakana it'd be nice to try and communicate. But at the moment, the only method to attempt to communicate with non-english speaking players is thru Auto Translate.

    6
    I’ve had a foreign player say to me, “I hate Japanese people.” But Final Fantasy is a Japanese game. If you hate us, why play?
    I've had JP players say they hate NA people. I think its a lack of cultural acceptance and sensitivity.

    7
    A lot of time has passed since service began in Japan, and you barely see any new subscribers coming in. Are there new NA players still joining?
    No. The main complaint I hear from players that quit is that to do/get good gear requires more than 3 players normally. Another complaint I hear is the party system is horribly inefficient. Some people go for days without XP PTs and they become saddened. SE is too slow in fixing these problems.

    8
    In Japan, players that play long periods of time, have many Lvl 75 jobs, possess tons of high-level equipment, and who are usually filled with prejudice and contempt are called 廃人 <[ ( hai jin ) " High Level person but disable from living real life " ]>. Is there a similar name you use for NA players who are like that?
    Yes there are people like that.

    9
    Is there opposition against the practice of RMT or the use of third party tools? What do you do if your friend or Linkshell uses them? How do you feel about RMT業者 (gyou sha) or gil farmers?
    Yes. They suck.

  4. #384
    Short Yellow Bus Driver
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    172
    BG Level
    3

    1

    All the time, many NA players dislike when that happens. I don't hold a grudge, but I am extremeley weary of their PT invites.

    2
    I heard that on foreign boards there is a list of useful Japanese players that will help people out. Do you really have such a list?

    No, but phrased like that it seems you're looking for a list of JP players to abuse for our own goals. Their are lists for crafting/relics etc, but nothing malicious that I have seen.

    3
    I don't have a prefrence. When I am trying to make a PT for a long time, I prefer JP because they tend to stay as long as possible, and don't find replacement members. There is more commitment to the party, as opposed to the individual.


    4
    Has there been a time when a Japanese player has hurt or insulted you? Also, what are some actions that are normal for us that you find disagreeable? I’m interested to know and would like to hear your thoughts.

    Not myself directly, but as part of a larger group yes. I don't like to be lumped as a "NA player", not because I am a fake JP, but because I don't like the attitude that is associated with a "NA player"

    5
    It is for being lazy, and recruiting JP players to join. I don't believe nationality has an influence on getting the job done, I just want people who are interested in coming along.


    7
    I don't think there is many.


    9
    Bots have gone past the point of complaining about. It is assumed every endgame LS bots, because more often than not it is true, even if the LS leaders themselves don't know it. Ironically, people will not admit in public if they bot, just in /tell.

  5. #385
    New Spam Forum
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    180
    BG Level
    3
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

    1
    Have you ever had someone from your own country do something bad to you? For example, they invite you to replace someone, and when you get there, they just disband. Do you hold a grudge against the person who invited you in that case, or do you think “Oh well,” and just forget about it?

    Yes many times, and its very annoying when that happens. Its nothing to hold a grudge about but I tend not to invite party with these people again unless I forget the situation completely.

    2
    I heard that on foreign boards there is a list of useful Japanese players that will help people out. Do you really have such a list?

    No list that I know of.

    3
    I don’t go out of my way to invite NA players to my party, but NA players often invite Japanese players. What are the benefits and drawbacks of inviting a Japanese player to your party?

    I never go out of my way to invite Japanese players, I actually tend to avoid them just because they tend to tell me they are "JP only". But usually I just invite people based on their jobs, not based on they are JP or NA.

    4
    Has there been a time when a Japanese player has hurt or insulted you? Also, what are some actions that are normal for us that you find disagreeable? I’m interested to know and would like to hear your thoughts.

    I can read Japanese pretty well and I have read some extremely insulting talk come from Japanese players assuming that no one in the party would be able to understand them.

    5
    Lots of NA players exclusively use Auto-Translate when recruiting for Assault and other activities. Does this mean that you are targeting Japanese players as well? I’m fairly knowledgeable when it comes to Missions and Assault, but I barely know any English, and worry if I should even send a tell.

    Most NA's are open to having anyone join, regardless of if they are JP, NA, or whatever region. It might be a little difficult with the language barriers but there are always ways to get around that.

    6
    I’ve had a foreign player say to me, “I hate Japanese people.” But Final Fantasy is a Japanese game. If you hate us, why play?

    The people who say that they "Hate Japanese people" are racist idiots. But I've had Japanese person tell me "English go away" after asking them a question of where to go. I'm half NA and half JP, So I guess I'm hated by everyone. Sadness /cry. To answer the second part, We play the game because we like the game, that simple.

    7
    A lot of time has passed since service began in Japan, and you barely see any new subscribers coming in. Are there new NA players still joining?

    There are a few, but not that many that I know of.

    8
    In Japan, players that play long periods of time, have many Lvl 75 jobs, possess tons of high-level equipment, and who are usually filled with prejudice and contempt are called 廃人 <[ ( hai jin ) " High Level person but disable from living real life " ]>. Is there a similar name you use for NA players who are like that?

    People with no life.

    9
    Is there opposition against the practice of RMT or the use of third party tools? What do you do if your friend or Linkshell uses them? How do you feel about RMT業者 (gyou sha) or gil farmers?

    I hate RMT for the passion. I also hate third party tools also, but I can't do much about it besides call a GM, and they usually don't do anything.

    10
    In Japan, there are some people who are huge subligar fans. Are there any amongst foreign players, or is there another piece of equipment that is especially popular?

    Subligars NA's have a very love/hate relationship with. They hate how ugly/disgusting it looks, but they love to wear it to look that way.

  6. #386
    Cerberus
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    469
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    "poopsocker" is the only correct answer to #8.

  7. #387
    Cerberus
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    403
    BG Level
    4

    In the interest of keeping my answers real, I have foregone reading anything but the first post. *cough* No seriously, that's why I didn't do it. >.>

    1
    Have you ever had someone from your own country do something bad to you? For example, they invite you to replace someone, and when you get there, they just disband. Do you hold a grudge against the person who invited you in that case, or do you think “Oh well,” and just forget about it?

    I pretty much only /blist casinos and Feiwong.

    2
    I heard that on foreign boards there is a list of useful Japanese players that will help people out. Do you really have such a list?

    Yep. Right here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0


    3
    I don’t go out of my way to invite NA players to my party, but NA players often invite Japanese players. What are the benefits and drawbacks of inviting a Japanese player to your party?

    I'm not sure this is NA players so much as 'not' JP players. I typically just go down the list when inviting, look for people with a good reputation, or people I have seen play before, and they usually get the first invites. If they happen to be JP, so be it, but I'm not looking for a particular nationality when I form any kind of group.


    4
    Has there been a time when a Japanese player has hurt or insulted you? Also, what are some actions that are normal for us that you find disagreeable? I’m interested to know and would like to hear your thoughts.

    Again, not something I pay so much attention to. Maybe it would be different if I did HNMs (I doubt it), but it's not so much 'JP' or 'NA' or 'EU' players that offend me so much as asshats. And Feiwong.


    5
    Lots of NA players exclusively use Auto-Translate when recruiting for Assault and other activities. Does this mean that you are targeting Japanese players as well? I’m fairly knowledgeable when it comes to Missions and Assault, but I barely know any English, and worry if I should even send a tell.

    I don't think we're far off on this one. NA shout for missions and events with the hope to get things done. A lot of the time, I'll do this kind of thing, and then if we aren't successful, I'll try to get the same group together with a different strategy or set up on another day. I have had non-English speaking players come along for CoP missions, Assault ranking up, etc., and had no problems with the communication, in as much as they already knew what the general idea was behind the mission, and what job they were asked to bring was supposed to do.

    Added point - English web sites like BG, KI, lolAlla, wiki, etc. have given 'NA' players a lot of information about the game. I think we take for granted that it's there, and just assume that everybody else has access to the same amount of info. It was surprising to read the answers to the first round of questions concerning this, where many of the respondents showed little knowledge of any site outside 2ch. We have LS and player based websites that offer better info than what 2ch does... it just never occured to me that this didn't carry over.

    6
    I’ve had a foreign player say to me, “I hate Japanese people.” But Final Fantasy is a Japanese game. If you hate us, why play?

    I hate everybody equally, please don't hold it against me.

    7
    A lot of time has passed since service began in Japan, and you barely see any new subscribers coming in. Are there new NA players still joining?

    FFXI is dieing!!1!

    8
    In Japan, players that play long periods of time, have many Lvl 75 jobs, possess tons of high-level equipment, and who are usually filled with prejudice and contempt are called 廃人 <[ ( hai jin ) " High Level person but disable from living real life " ]>. Is there a similar name you use for NA players who are like that?

    So that's what that means... ; ;

    9
    Is there opposition against the practice of RMT or the use of third party tools? What do you do if your friend or Linkshell uses them? How do you feel about RMT業者 (gyou sha) or gil farmers?

    Windower and most of the plug-ins are ok, but any kind of botting tool or pos hack are pretty much a no-no. RMT and gil farmers can suck my big western balls.

    10
    In Japan, there are some people who are huge subligar fans. Are there any amongst foreign players, or is there another piece of equipment that is especially popular?

    We used to have buttersheep, but you don't see too many anymore.

    Quote:
    If you want to answer, I'm putting up a bonus question. It was just posted, and I think it would be interesting to take part in this old Japanese school riddle. The poster put it in Japanese and English himself, so these are his own words:

    Code:

    日本では古くから議論されている問

  8. #388
    The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    15,071
    BG Level
    9
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

    ^^ LOL @ Rick Rolling the JPs.

  9. #389
    futan
    Guest

    1
    Have you ever had someone from your own country do something bad to you? For example, they invite you to replace someone, and when you get there, they just disband. Do you hold a grudge against the person who invited you in that case, or do you think “Oh well,” and just forget about it?


    I've had it happen to me back when we partied out in Valley of Sorrows and it never bothered me for more than a day or two. After the update where they made Pallas and Alkyoneus trigger NMs, I had Alky Bracelets "stolen" from me(back when it was still around 2+ million gil). We used my pop, they kicked me after it dropped. I don't really hold a grudge, don't even remember their names. I blamed myself for being too trusting(only knew them for a few days) so maybe that's why I don't hold a grudge.

    2
    I heard that on foreign boards there is a list of useful Japanese players that will help people out. Do you really have such a list?


    I've never seen one.

    3
    I don’t go out of my way to invite NA players to my party, but NA players often invite Japanese players. What are the benefits and drawbacks of inviting a Japanese player to your party?


    I don't typically make PTs. Use the time looking for a party to make money. But when I have made parties, I never even cared about the players nationality. If they were my level and a job we could use, I'd invite.

    4
    Has there been a time when a Japanese player has hurt or insulted you? Also, what are some actions that are normal for us that you find disagreeable? I’m interested to know and would like to hear your thoughts.


    I've had several Japanese players who were on my Friend List end up Black Listing me. That itself doesn't hurt me much, but the fact that none of them would ever tell me why they Black Listed me is what caused me much headaches.

    Except for one actually, he would attack me when I was Charmed in Besieged and tell me about the fun times he had with other friends and would always let me know when the Undead Swarm was on the way. So the one day I finally killed him, he ended up Black Listing me. lol. Was talking to him earlier that day and he did seem upset about something else though. So I assume he was just taking whatever was bothering him out on me. lol.

    5
    Lots of NA players exclusively use Auto-Translate when recruiting for Assault and other activities. Does this mean that you are targeting Japanese players as well? I’m fairly knowledgeable when it comes to Missions and Assault, but I barely know any English, and worry if I should even send a tell.


    Yes. We use Auto-Translate so our message goes out to as many people as possible. NA players don't care about the nationality of players, they care about getting the people needed as fast as possible.


    6
    I’ve had a foreign player say to me, “I hate Japanese people.” But Final Fantasy is a Japanese game. If you hate us, why play?


    Same reason I eat Italian food. I enjoy it. Even if I say "I hate Italian people." Just because the Italian people originated Italian food doesn't mean I can't hate the people and not their food. It's just being stubborn to hate their product because you hate them.

    7
    A lot of time has passed since service began in Japan, and you barely see any new subscribers coming in. Are there new NA players still joining?


    Not really. It's sad seeing the starter cities so empty.

    8
    In Japan, players that play long periods of time, have many Lvl 75 jobs, possess tons of high-level equipment, and who are usually filled with prejudice and contempt are called 廃人 <[ ( hai jin ) " High Level person but disable from living real life " ]>. Is there a similar name you use for NA players who are like that?


    Nothing specific to the game, but the generic "Loser" applies.

    9
    Is there opposition against the practice of RMT or the use of third party tools? What do you do if your friend or Linkshell uses them? How do you feel about RMT業者 (gyou sha) or gil farmers?


    Very much so.

    10
    In Japan, there are some people who are huge subligar fans. Are there any amongst foreign players, or is there another piece of equipment that is especially popular?


    Adaman Hauberk? Ridill? lol. I think NA players look more at the stats of equipment than their appearance.

  10. #390
    virusq
    Guest

    Bananas should come with the meal! It's hard enough to get NA people to eat their fruit and vegetables! They'd never touch them if they charged extra!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer the Pointy View Post
    1) Have you ever had someone from your own country do something bad to you? For example, they invite you to replace someone, and when you get there, they just disband. Do you hold a grudge against the person who invited you in that case, or do you think “Oh well,” and just forget about it?
    I have had many bad experiences with NA players.

    I was once part of a linkshell that organized a mission and invited everyone in the linkshell to join. I signed up in advance and spent my weekend trying to meet all of the rules and requirements that were defined, but it was pointless. I could not get any of the linkshell members to invite me into the alliance for the mission. Finally, one party leader told me that he would invite me if I ran from Bastok to Beadeaux to meet him. When I arrived, the party leader said: "LOL. Sorry. You're too low level" and they proceeded to do the mission without me. I was the same level as everyone else in his party.

    Another linkshell invited me because they found out I was a girl. When they discovered that I play melee classes instead of WHM, they ignored me. When I complained, they broke my shell and lied to the other linkshell members as to why I "quit."

    When players do rude things in parties, I try my best to excuse myself and log out. It's usually better to go for a walk than to get angry about stupid things.


    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer the Pointy View Post
    2) I heard that on foreign boards there is a list of useful Japanese players that will help people out. Do you really have such a list?
    I would love to see such a list! I like to add helpful players to my friendslist, but that's usually so that I can remember to repay the favor in the future.

    We had a JP player in our linkshell, once. He was very kind and helpful, but people tended to barrage him with stupid questions and requests, so he left. I felt ashamed by the way the linkshell treated him and tried not to bother him. I still wave at him when I run past him, to this day. I don't want him to think that all NA players are as rude as the linkshell made them out to be.


    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer the Pointy View Post
    3) I don’t go out of my way to invite NA players to my party, but NA players often invite Japanese players. What are the benefits and drawbacks of inviting a Japanese player to your party?
    JP players know what they are doing! They have had much more time and practice playing the game. Plus, they tend to be dedicated to making the party last! Once a party is running, I wish it would last forever. NA parties always end too quickly.


    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer the Pointy View Post
    4) Has there been a time when a Japanese player has hurt or insulted you? Also, what are some actions that are normal for us that you find disagreeable? I’m interested to know and would like to hear your thoughts.
    I've had JP players disband as soon as they figured out that my party consisted of NA players. That was kind of hurtful. At the same time, however, I understand that they don't want to be the only Japanese speaking player in the group. Their time is better spent with people that can communicate clearly with them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer the Pointy View Post
    5) Lots of NA players exclusively use Auto-Translate when recruiting for Assault and other activities. Does this mean that you are targeting Japanese players as well? I’m fairly knowledgeable when it comes to Missions and Assault, but I barely know any English, and worry if I should even send a tell.
    I try to use the Auto-Translate feature whenever I can. I hate not being able to understand what everyone else is saying, so I can only imagine it's just as annoying for everyone else. When I start parties, I try to use the Auto-Translate feature so that I can include everyone -- I'd love to have a group with Spanish, German and Japanese players. I think it would be fun.


    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer the Pointy View Post
    6) I’ve had a foreign player say to me, “I hate Japanese people.” But Final Fantasy is a Japanese game. If you hate us, why play?
    Anyone that claims to hate an entire group of people is an idiot. They have probably seen someone or something that they do not like and they are projecting that hate on the entire culture. Final Fantasy has evolved into something much more than a Japanese game, but I agree -- if you truely dislike Japanese people, then why do you buy Japanese games, Japanese consoles, Japanese televisions and Japanese cars?


    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer the Pointy View Post
    7) A lot of time has passed since service began in Japan, and you barely see any new subscribers coming in. Are there new NA players still joining?
    A lot of gamers have been drawn in by World of Warcraft. NA gamers tend to follow the popular game of the time. They tend to see FFXI as "old" rather than "established."


    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer the Pointy View Post
    8) In Japan, players that play long periods of time, have many Lvl 75 jobs, possess tons of high-level equipment, and who are usually filled with prejudice and contempt are called 廃人 <[ ( hai jin ) " High Level person but disable from living real life " ]>. Is there a similar name you use for NA players who are like that?
    We usually call those "Power Gamers" or "God Gamers." They have a lot of time on their hands -- usually from the lack of an intellectually stimulating life.


    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer the Pointy View Post
    9) Is there opposition against the practice of RMT or the use of third party tools? What do you do if your friend or Linkshell uses them? How do you feel about RMT業者 (gyou sha) or gil farmers?
    I personally loathe RMT, but I have a few friends who purchase from them. It's difficult to keep up with your friends when you can only play for an hour a week! Hopefully the level-syncing option will dispose of some of these issues.

    I have mixed feelings about third party software. I really like being able to tab-out of the game and check online forums or guides when trying to help out friends or party members. On the other hand, anyone that uses speed hacks should be disconnected on the spot. I think, as long as no one is suffering from the experience, it is excusable.


    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer the Pointy View Post
    10) In Japan, there are some people who are huge subligar fans. Are there any amongst foreign players, or is there another piece of equipment that is especially popular?
    NA players view Subligar as something akin to underwear. Whenever my friends dress up in their end-game gear, I like to strip down to my subligar and dance around, as if to say: "Oh yeah? Well you can't do better than this!" I hope it puts things into perspective, or at least makes them laugh.

  11. #391
    Fake Numbers
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    93
    BG Level
    2
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Shadow Council

    1
    Have you ever had someone from your own country do something bad to you? For example, they invite you to replace someone, and when you get there, they just disband. Do you hold a grudge against the person who invited you in that case, or do you think “Oh well,” and just forget about it?

    I don't hold a grudge against them but the next time they invite me, I'm going to be weary on their decision.

    2
    I heard that on foreign boards there is a list of useful Japanese players that will help people out. Do you really have such a list?

    I personally don't have a list and I wouldn't know if we do have one since I don't research about that very much.

    3
    I don’t go out of my way to invite NA players to my party, but NA players often invite Japanese players. What are the benefits and drawbacks of inviting a Japanese player to your party?

    I just want to get exp/merits and to me race doesn't matter for that. If I have a Japanese player, I would try to add another one so they could communicate with each other. However, the drawback such as yourselves is the communication and even NA players agree that the auto-translation feature is extremely limited in the phrases they offer you.

    4
    Has there been a time when a Japanese player has hurt or insulted you? Also, what are some actions that are normal for us that you find disagreeable? I’m interested to know and would like to hear your thoughts.

    I haven't had a time where a Japanese player has insulted me, but things that I disagree with is the /check since I like to compare what equipment my fellow player for my current job is wearing at that time. The one thing I personally disagree is the 'JP only'. To me it says that you hate everyone outside of Japan and aren't willingly to cooperate with other people to achieve the same goals.

    5
    Lots of NA players exclusively use Auto-Translate when recruiting for Assault and other activities. Does this mean that you are targeting Japanese players as well? I’m fairly knowledgeable when it comes to Missions and Assault, but I barely know any English, and worry if I should even send a tell.

    I personally use the auto-translate feature as a means of 'shorthand' when typing out specific information. It's just quicker to use auto-translate than to type the whole thing out. I personally don't mind having a Japanese player for Assault and other activites as long as know and understand their role.

    6
    I’ve had a foreign player say to me, “I hate Japanese people.” But Final Fantasy is a Japanese game. If you hate us, why play?

    The reason why people in NA play FFXI is because for the friendships they have made and like you, to play something they enjoy. But not everyone hates Japanese people.

    7
    A lot of time has passed since service began in Japan, and you barely see any new subscribers coming in. Are there new NA players still joining?

    I haven't taken a notice to new players since I'm always busy with end-game but I do see the occasional ? players around San d'Oria.

    8
    In Japan, players that play long periods of time, have many Lvl 75 jobs, possess tons of high-level equipment, and who are usually filled with prejudice and contempt are called 廃人 <[ ( hai jin ) " High Level person but disable from living real life " ]>. Is there a similar name you use for NA players who are like that?

    Not to my knowledge.

    9
    Is there opposition against the practice of RMT or the use of third party tools? What do you do if your friend or Linkshell uses them? How do you feel about RMT業者 (gyou sha) or gil farmers?

    I personally hate it when people use third-party tools to claim mobs and for other methods that wasn't meant for in-game. Some third-party tools I'm ok with like distance plug-in and /recast window, something I wish SE would add to the UI themselves. RMT? Wish they would all burn in hell.

    10
    In Japan, there are some people who are huge subligar fans. Are there any amongst foreign players, or is there another piece of equipment that is especially popular?[/QUOTE]

    While the subligar has nice stats, I refuse to wear something that induces bondage. But for gear that's popular..uh Haubergeon?

  12. #392
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,822
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries
    3

    1
    Yes. I don't hold a grudge against them. It happens too often, so I just shrug it off. Usually I will think they must have a reason for it. They also apologize sometimes.

    2
    No such thing. I've seen a list of 'good people' before, but its more of a list to show thanks to people who have helped them than to get others to 'exploit' their kindness. The names are mainly NA.

    3
    I like to invite JP to my party, because they seem to know how to perform better in most situations. However, if I want to try something different which they aren't familiar with either, I probably get NA because of the language barrier issue that I may get with JP.

    4
    Yes. I can speak Japanese and understand perfectly, at least in the context of the game. Even so, whenever I play with JP i make it a point to tell them I'm actually a gaijin. And some JP I play with will be all friendly with me until that point, and then make an excuse that I can't join them after that. If they were afraid I wasn't up for the task because I was a foreigner, I would have hoped they'd just say so honestly.

    5
    Usually if I use Auto-Translate it means I'm expecting replies from both NA and JP, but it seems like usually JP don't like to respond to these. I still welcome them anyway.

    6
    I don't understand those people who just hate a race indiscriminately. However, I think a lot of people don't realise that FF is a Japanese game.

    7
    Very few. It only rises a little when new expansions release. And these are usually people who have played and quit before, or their friends that they have convinced to join.

    8
    Me and my friends use haijin as well, because we understand a fair bit of Japanese. Otherwise, I guess we can call them no-lifers.

    9
    Yes. I usually discourage use by friends, telling them what happens if they use it, but I can't do anything if they persist. RMT are a problem, but the buyers are also partly responsible, so we cannot blame RMT alone.

    10
    Um.. well there isn't any single equipment type that is popular like the Subligar, but we have some crowd favorites, like the Adaman Hauberk, Saotome Domaru, and the Ninurta's Sash joke.

    Bonus
    I'm on a very low carb diet, so the banana would be my meal itself.

  13. #393
    Feyna
    Guest

    1
    Have you ever had someone from your own country do something bad to you? For example, they invite you to replace someone, and when you get there, they just disband. Do you hold a grudge against the person who invited you in that case, or do you think “Oh well,” and just forget about it?
    I'm NA, and many NA players can be rude or unthinking. So yes, there have been times where someone has done something bad to me. I try not to hold a grudge, but the memory of them often means I cannot forgive them, and maybe I cannot ever trust them again.

    2
    I heard that on foreign boards there is a list of useful Japanese players that will help people out. Do you really have such a list?
    If we do, I have never seen it. Personally, I like to keep a list for myself of who is good to play with, and who is bad, whether they are JP, NA, etc.

    3
    I don’t go out of my way to invite NA players to my party, but NA players often invite Japanese players. What are the benefits and drawbacks of inviting a Japanese player to your party?
    I have had the honor of being invited to many JP parties, and I will sometimes also invite JP to party. I do not really pay attention to language, except to think "I should try my best to communicate with this person" (if they are Japanese). I know a little bit of Japanese, and I can read enough hiragana that I can say "please use hiragana" and I can usually translate.

    4
    Has there been a time when a Japanese player has hurt or insulted you? Also, what are some actions that are normal for us that you find disagreeable? I’m interested to know and would like to hear your thoughts.
    For me, I have played FFXI so long that I hold JP players in very high regard. I had a Japanese pen pal because of FFXI for a long time, so I have not had too many bad experiences to remember.

    5
    Lots of NA players exclusively use Auto-Translate when recruiting for Assault and other activities. Does this mean that you are targeting Japanese players as well? I’m fairly knowledgeable when it comes to Missions and Assault, but I barely know any English, and worry if I should even send a tell.
    I have not done any assault, but I think if you can convey that you are experienced, you should give it a try. Ganbatte!

    6
    I’ve had a foreign player say to me, “I hate Japanese people.” But Final Fantasy is a Japanese game. If you hate us, why play?
    We do not see Final Fantasy as a Japanese game. It is as much our game as your game, so we do not make that sort of connection. I know many people who love Final Fantasy, and think it is the best thing ever, so I think we think it is ours too. I personally feel that we can all love Final Fantasy.

    7
    A lot of time has passed since service began in Japan, and you barely see any new subscribers coming in. Are there new NA players still joining?
    I think it is the same for all, that FFXI is slowing down for new subscribers.

    8
    In Japan, players that play long periods of time, have many Lvl 75 jobs, possess tons of high-level equipment, and who are usually filled with prejudice and contempt are called 廃人 <[ ( hai jin ) " High Level person but disable from living real life " ]>. Is there a similar name you use for NA players who are like that?
    I don't know if we have a name for it, but we have the same regard for them, that they are stuck-up and think because they are so "experienced" they are better than the rest of us. We just think they have no life.

    9
    Is there opposition against the practice of RMT or the use of third party tools? What do you do if your friend or Linkshell uses them? How do you feel about RMT業者 (gyou sha) or gil farmers?
    I think most people would agree RMT is bad. More people are using the Windower now, and do not see it as harmful, but we dislike botters and RMT, who do automatic actions for their own selfish benefit. It messes up the game and makes it less fun for everyone.

    10
    In Japan, there are some people who are huge subligar fans. Are there any amongst foreign players, or is there another piece of equipment that is especially popular?
    I think some people think subligar is a funny joke, especially the zodiac subligar (i.e. Virgo subligar), and we call them "lacy panties", and there are those who "dance" in them, usually male characters. It is a little perverted, a little weird (hen-na yatsu >.>), but sometimes a little funny.


    I like partying with JP players, and I guess because I play Red Mage, they can see easily how capable I am. I am glad that I can impress them enough to get many recurrent party invites. I am always prepared to play for many hours, because I know getting levels at higher levels takes a lot of time. But I am also pretty familiar with Japanese, Chinese, Korean people, that I can try to be as polite as them, and copy their polite ways, "Excuse me, but..." "Thank you..." " Yoroshiku!"

  14. #394
    The Fucking Voice of Actually
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    11,046
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries
    6

    1
    Yes, it happens from time to time. My reaction usually depends on how severe the offense is. Minor, I just forget. Major, I blacklist and tell my linkshell about it.


    2
    I've never seen a list. But, my friends tend to remember people (any people, not just JP) who have been helpful, and make recommendations when need arises.


    3
    A drawback tends to be trouble in communication. A positive though is, when everything is clear, the japanese players I've been with tend to be very competent and reliable.


    5
    I use auto-translate for recruiting or occasional selling shouts, not because I'm targeting JP players, but rather, I want to be sure that EVERY player can understand me, not just those that know english.


    6
    They were likely a troll.
    (* Is there a japanese word for what we call trolls?)


    7
    Occasionally, but, any game's new players tends to slow down after a while.


    8
    Elitist. Alternately, [Insert BG celebrity name here].


    9
    There is a good amount of contempt for RMT and abusive third party tools here. Those that do it are looked down on upon, and my linkshell has a policy of kicking out any member found doing it.
    I personally, feel not as bad about chinese/third-world gil farmers, because they are trying to earn their livelihood, but, I still wish they'd find something else to do.


    10
    Most NA players I've seen, make fun of subligars. I personally don't like running around looking like I'm wearing pantsu.
    I think RDM's hat is pretty popular.

    Cantih - Bahamut

  15. #395
    Hayleystrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    7,069
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Man, the JP are going to understand us better than we do after going through all 400 of these replies. =P

  16. #396
    LD
    LD is offline
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,045
    BG Level
    7

    Really think Elmer wants to translate all this?

  17. #397
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,822
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries
    3

    he'll probably just group each question into categories, then pick the best reply out of that group that represents what they were trying to say

  18. #398
    Ifrit's lolCudgel
    QQing is what I do best

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    524
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

    1) I tend to remember when someone does something negative against me. If they invite me and then disband when I get there, I will remember it. It will make me less likely to party with the person again.

    2) I don't know if a list exists, but I usually tell people about nice players (regardless of nationality) I come across. Allakhazam server forums sometimes have list of helpful people (all nationalities)

    3) I don't go out of my way to invite JP players, I just invite whoever is seeking regardless of what language they are. Recently, I have met just as many JPs who do not play well as NAs so it does not matter to me. I find no benefit or drawback to inviting a Japanese player.

    4) Usually if I am 5/6 for a party and I invite a Japanese player seeking that is the only job left needed (like RDM, tank, etc...) and I get a JP ONLY, I get frustrated. Because that person does not want to play with NAs it makes 5 people not be able to level because they do not want to join.

    Actions I find disagreeable? The one I run into the most is players not knowing how to play their job correctly. It is frustrating that a party can have a perfect setup but fail because the RDM can't keep refresh or the PLD does not know how to keep hate.

    5) If you can explain your strategy via auto-translate then it will be a big advantage. I would enjoy doing missions with JP if they wanted to join me. Even if you do not have a strategy, the fact that you offered to help would be very appreciated.

    6) I do not know who the player was but it could be one of two things. Either the person is a new player and is very stupid. Or the person had difficulties with JP players in the past (like HNM issues several years ago or was told JP only by a party leader). The JP only thing is really offensive to some people and will hold grudge against JP for it.

    7) There are barely any new NA players joining. I don't know about EU but new NA players is very lacking. it's near impossible to level 40-70.

    8) I just call them people with no friends in real life. I don't think there is a correct English term for it. I guess you could say anti-social irl or irl loner.

    9) I hate RMT and people who use 3rd party programs. I do not do HNM due to use of them and the fact it takes up time from my real life.

    10) The white subligar is popular town gear along with the corsage. Also the costume items are popular to use and run around as. My friend likes to use Muteppo a lot...

  19. #399
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    814
    BG Level
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by LD View Post
    Really think Elmer wants to translate all this?
    Think of poor Elmer just having to READ all of this! @_@

  20. #400
    New Merits
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    232
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Ghostlands
    A3- yes, in fact we kinda prefer to invite jp player cuz they r a realy good player mostly. And there is one drawback which is the lake of good communication but with auto-trans its easy most of the time.
    A4- no insulting rly but many times I get invited to a pt and when I arrive the say sorry only JP players, why asking me to come in the first place I find that rude. Just personaly I don’t like /bow when a new player comes to pt or just anyone comes to a group, simply /wave
    A5- I use auto-trans for everyone, alot easyer and everyone can understand, English, Japanese, French and germens.
    A6- I love japans culture!
    A7- yes, many!
    A8- lifeless bastards (joking )
    A9- hate RMTs they make the game alot less fun, third party programs if it wont affect others like claiming then they r worst than RMTs to me, other than that idc.
    A10- most ppl I know hate subligars! Idk if there any popular piece of gear.

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Questions from a returning player
    By nekoshoonen in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 2010-03-19, 13:32
  2. Answers from JP Players
    By Elmer the Pointy in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 251
    Last Post: 2008-09-03, 08:31
  3. Questions for JP players
    By Elmer the Pointy in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 218
    Last Post: 2008-08-31, 05:10
  4. JP players & Thunder Rings
    By Lyramion in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 2008-05-22, 09:56
  5. Dynamis - Bueacedine: Questions from new Linkshell
    By Redness in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 2007-11-11, 13:56
  6. Question for PS3 players
    By SamanosukeShiva in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2007-11-07, 12:51
  7. Few Questions from a Dynamis Newbie
    By Kimiko in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2005-07-05, 18:44
  8. Hello, a quick question from a guy from Kujata. :P
    By Arc07 in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2004-11-30, 03:27
  9. Pulling Fafnir/nidhogg from JPs
    By in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2004-09-18, 22:55