+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

i need some real life college advice, yo

so im a freshman in college (unlv) right now and im aiming for an electrical engineer major.. but im taking computer logic(CPE100) at the moment for it. the problem is that this class is making me want to change majors. all the 1's and 0's confuse the crap out of me
    the asian and indian (no offense, im asian) teachers cant speak english for crap so they dont really help either..

i was thinking about switching to business while im still a freshman or maybe just a different field of engineering, maybe a med field but i doubt theres a good med major that doesnt require me to go to med school for another 4-5 years. i really really really hate computer logic right now..

halp plz
    advising center is closed on weekends so i thought id ask the bright minds of bg :o

See an advisor on monday.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

And don't wait until after registration opens up for next semester.

netz

Quote Originally Posted by untouchable View Post
    so im a freshman in college (unlv) right now and im aiming for an electrical engineer major.. but im taking computer logic(CPE100) at the moment for it. the problem is that this class is making me want to change majors. all the 1's and 0's confuse the crap out of me
    the asian and indian (no offense, im asian) teachers cant speak english for crap so they dont really help either..
    Is the problem the instruction, or that you just don't get it?

Are there other people in the course who are willing to work with you to complete assignments and help understand the material better?

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

I'm in the equivalent class to whatever you are taking and the shit is boring me to hell. EE Majors seems to have trouble with it, while CS Majors think it's a joke because we're introduced to binary and truth tables so early on and used them so exhaustively in multiple classes (Assembler/Disc Math/ etc.). If you really don't understand it you just need to put more time into it because it's a really simple concept...

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Definitely speak to an advisor/registrar. Every time I have they've had nothing but amazing advice, since I'm sure they have heard everything before. Good luck.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Well whatever path you take, never buy books for useless GE classes.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Ravenholdt

i was thinking about switching to business while im still a freshman or maybe just a different field of engineering, maybe a med field but i doubt theres a good med major that doesnt require me to go to med school for another 4-5 years. i really really really hate computer logic right now..

halp plz
    advising center is closed on weekends so i thought id ask the bright minds of bg
    If you're taking computer logic, I have a couple of lecture sites that might help ya. I will say this up front, EE/CE (Computer Engineering; basically EE/CS/TE/SE mixed in) are lucrative fields, especially with the government, however EE is going to be a tough regardless of your professors, and I will say that business is another great degree to pick up, and that you should probably think about what you want to do for yourself, and not for cash.

Since you're taking computer logic, I'm going to suggest these two lecture sites from my own university.

TE 3307 Discreet Mathematics for Computing: http://www.utdallas.edu/~cpb021000/TE%203307/
    EE 2310 Digital Systems: http://www.utdallas.edu/~dodge/EE2310/index.htm

Those have well put lectures, and good explanations in plain english for the most part, use em well if you continue to go down the EE path. The 2310 class explains the circuitry and covers combinational logic circuits, as well as the MIPS R2000? processor. The Discreet math class has truth tables and explains how the logic actually works in the computer with functions.

Also, talk to that advisor, make sure you want to keep going after the major you're going for.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shalyn View Post
    Definitely speak to an advisor/registrar. Every time I have they've had nothing but amazing advice, since I'm sure they have heard everything before. Good luck.
    Yeah if you can't find your advisor or something go straight to the registrar, that's what my sister does for a local private college, and they know the classes/programs as well as, if not better than, your advisor will.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Eh, shit picks up after the lower division courses, maybe you're getting a bit intimidated. Having shitty instructors who can barely speak English doesn't help either. The cool thing is that this is where students get filtered out, EE or GTFO. ;D I'm going for BS in computer engineering and switched minors from math to business ;x

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

If the major reason for you wanting to switch majors is professors with thick accents, this will likely be somewhat of a problem for you no matter what your major is. I have encountered thick russian, indian, african, chinese, turkish, iranian and vietnamese accents in classes from economics and calc classes to social sciences. A professor in one of my classes gave us an article that talked about how something like 1/4th of all college professors in the US are immigrants so you'll never be able to escape that issue. If you don't understand the class material go to the professor during office hours for help, but otherwise you should be able to understand the professors accents soon enough. Like other people have said meet up with your advisor asap and figure out what you want to do, and don't let having to go to med school dissuade you from a medical field if thats what you are interested in because of extra schooling, b/c youll likely need a master's or MBA in your other potential majors for a decent job but be forewarned that youll likely end up with as many thick accented professors/attendings if you do go onto medical school/internship/residency.

Ryko's Full of Lies and Johns
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ryuu Akaneiro
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Dunemaul

so im a freshman in college (unlv) right now and im aiming for an electrical engineer major..
    I'm going to tell you, now, that if you stay anywhere near a computer-based major, here, you're not gonna see that change.

I was a Computer Engineering major my freshman year. I LOVED my ECE classes (straight-engineering classes), I hated my math classes. I switched majors, first to business, then to Philosophy. Don't be afraid to switch, undergrad really isn't that big of a deal anymore. I have friends who graduated top of their class in Electrical Engineering and Industrial and Civil and Mechanical, ALL of them are probably going to go back to grad school.

Just do what you like to do, don't ruin your life trying to impress everyone with your 1337 money making skills. Save that for grad school.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

criminal justice. do it

All I'd say is to keep attending while you're figuring it out, just in case you get stuck completing the module.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

all the 1's and 0's confuse the crap out of me

That right there is pretty much the sign that you're in the wrong major.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    Yeah if you can't find your advisor or something go straight to the registrar, that's what my sister does for a local private college, and they know the classes/programs as well as, if not better than, your advisor will.
    Deans are pretty damn good at what they do, too.

alright thanks guys. more helpful than yahoo answers bahaha
    i scheduled a meeting with the engineering adviser for thur so hopefully i can switch classes. still debating whether i should switch to business or a different engineering.. but im leaning towards business since my engineering classmates are super nerds and i feel out of place lol

edit: no offense to super nerds out there. i just dont fit in

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

My ex (really great guy) double majored in EE/CS at University of Toledo.

Currently he's got a great job developing (or debugging? haven't talked to him in a while) software and he's making a ton of money. I thought he would be overqualified considering he graduated with honors but a lot of people wanted to hire him. If you have the time and motivation to do both, it might be a good option... looks real nice to companies, even if you only ever use the CS part.

Ryko's Full of Lies and Johns
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ryuu Akaneiro
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Dunemaul

alright thanks guys. more helpful than yahoo answers bahaha
    i scheduled a meeting with the engineering adviser for thur so hopefully i can switch classes. still debating whether i should switch to business or a different engineering.. but im leaning towards business since my engineering classmates are super nerds and i feel out of place lol

edit: no offense to super nerds out there. i just dont fit in
    I tend to ask this to a lot of people in the major, but why did you decide to go to UNLV instead of UNR?

Doesn't matter, now, I guess, lol.