Page 108 of 123 FirstFirst ... 58 98 106 107 108 109 110 118 ... LastLast
Results 2141 to 2160 of 2445

Thread: NHL Season 08-09     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #2141
    Kevin Lowe's Sock Account
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,268
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

    I'm still curious as to what's going to happen with Dany Heatley, especially now that he wants out of Ottawa. If he goes to NYR, the Rangers franchise will somehow find a way to ruin him. He's pretty much a guaranteed 40G, 85 point guy, but as a Ranger, I can see him racking up around 25 goals and maybe 60 points. LOL

    If Hossa really wants a Stanley Cup, he'd take the 10yr/$40m or so that Detroit offers. In 10 years, chances are Detroit will be back at the Big Dance again. As much as I don't like the team, you can't argue with their scouting and the way they replace what they're losing. Plus they plan for the future better than most of the league.

  2. #2142
    THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    23,089
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    NHL Awards in twelve hours, I would go to the Japers' Rink viewing party but we got Kirin tonight I think. Really hope Green gets the Norris, he was amazing this season despite the lackluster playoff performance.

  3. #2143
    Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    19,830
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    I think Green has a better than decent chance to win it. It's not often you come across a defenseman who is able to put up the kind of offensive numbers that he did. Last guy that comes to mind that was that offensively potent was Paul Coffey.

  4. #2144
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,223
    BG Level
    6

    Problem is that Green wasn't too great in the Defensive end. I ultimately think Chara will win it, mainly because of all the hype around him this year. Although I wouldn't be shocked to see Lidstrom pick up the award again either. I would be surprised to see Green win.

  5. #2145
    Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    19,830
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Agreed. I won't go so far as labeling Green a defensive liability. But he definitely let that aspect of his game suffer so he can focus on the offensive side.

  6. #2146
    TOO MUCH MAN
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,264
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by BrillCS View Post
    I think Green has a better than decent chance to win it. It's not often you come across a defenseman who is able to put up the kind of offensive numbers that he did. Last guy that comes to mind that was that offensively potent was Paul Coffey.
    If you mean points the last guy would be... Lidstrom. Goals though, Coffey is the only one that really comes to mind.

    Also looking at wikipedia (lol wikipedia for hockey) it's annoying that so few players have +/- listed under their stats.

    Edit: Also lol at the Sedins asking for identical contracts to Zetterberg's. They're good but they're no Zetterbergs.

  7. #2147
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,223
    BG Level
    6

    Together they're a Zetterberg. lol

  8. #2148
    Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    19,830
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Sorry, yeah I mean goals. Not assists. What does Zetterberg's contract look like? Just for my own amusement I ran some numbers. Here's what I came up with. These are the stats from the last four season for all three of them. I picked the last four because they are the season where all three players really came into their own and blossomed into great players.

    Hank Z GP H Sedin GP D Sedin GP
    292 328 327

    Hank Z Points H Sedin Points D Sedin Points
    318 314 311

    Hank Z +\- H Sedin +\- D Sedin +\-
    98 58 56

    Hank Z Shot% H Sedin Shot% D Sedin Shot%
    12.775avg 12.35avg 12.175avg

    Hank Z PIM H Sedin PIM D Sedin PIM
    34avg 56avg 39avg

    Hank Z PPG H Sedin PPG D Sedin PPG
    1.08 .95 .95

    So the stats are definitely in Zetterberg's favor. But the Sedin's aren't that far behind him. The problem is that they both want Zetterberg money which could cause some large salary cap issues for whichever team would sign them.

  9. #2149
    Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    19,830
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Oh fuck you you dirty fucking columns screwing up my tallies!

  10. #2150
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    922
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    pretty sure Hank got 12 year/60mil

  11. #2151
    Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    19,830
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Wow if that's the case, that's really fucking reasonable. Especially for a young guy with the talent he has. 5 million a year for a Zetterberg? Sold.

  12. #2152
    THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    23,089
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    This is how Detroit has stayed so good for so long. None of their contracts are Jagr/Yashin albatrosses, and players willingly take a pay cut to go there. It's kind of refreshing to see a franchise doing it right, but on the other hand, I'd love to get the players they do for the money they spend.

    As for the Sedins, it might be the length of the contract that has teams worried, especially since you're committing to both of them. If they collapse, it's double the bad free agent signing, and you can't really just trade one away to dump their salary.

    In an unrelated note, Brill's got a new fan in the Rain thread, check it out. :D

  13. #2153
    Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    19,830
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    He got butthurt really quick too. I kind of felt a little bad about it because I was just attempting to rattle his cage a little. Then he got defensive so I pushed further. Hope the guy stays out of spam. Ryko would have him ready to kill in a day. Where is Yashin now anyways? The KHL?

  14. #2154
    THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    23,089
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Keep it going for a few more hours, epic lulz at work make the day go faster.

    Last I heard Yashin was in Russia, but honestly the only time I've heard his name in the last six months was on Sportscenter when they were talking about some massive transfer fee for a soccer player and recounting the biggest contracts in sports.

  15. #2155
    Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    19,830
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    God what a travesty that contract was. I don't need to keep him riled up. It looks like Maxx and Abandon have taken the reins. With how poorly he's reacting to just about everything there's going to be two endings I think. Ending A is that they have their fun with him for quite a while longer. Ending B is him freaking out, popping off, then getting banned.

  16. #2156
    THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    23,089
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    I remember when the Caps got Jagr and then traded him, eating most of his salary, for the next few seasons we weren't really in the mix for any free agents and we let some guys go I really liked (Richard Zednik, Brendan Witt and Jeff Halpern I still miss.) Plus it didn't help that our owner is an AOL executive and that was right around the time their stock went in the shitter.

    That guy is unbelievable. The angel wings picture is just embarrassing at this point.

  17. #2157
    Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    19,830
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    I liked Halpern. I always hoped the Pens would make a run to try and get him. He's not flashy. He's not even that offensively talented. The guy just breaks his back doing whatever he can to help the team win.

    And yeah, the angel wing picture was fucking awesome. That guy needs to calm down because all he's doing at this point is giving people more ammunition to shoot at him with. But God damn is it funny.

  18. #2158
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,223
    BG Level
    6

    Awards pretty much went as expected, no real surprises. I was happy to see Steve Mason win the Calder, and was surprised to read today that he actually finished 4th on the Hart Trophy voting, didn't think he's get that high.

  19. #2159
    Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    19,830
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Moderately surprised at Chara winning the Norris. No shock with Mason or with Ovie. Masterson could have gone to any one of the guys up for it and it would have been ok. No huge shockers though.

  20. #2160
    TOO MUCH MAN
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,264
    BG Level
    8

    Masterton would be weird going to Cheli in my opinion because he's probably not going to retire this year, and him getting it is kind of a "length of career" award, more fitting to do as he retires.

    Chara didn't surprise me because Lidstrom had a moderately "down year" by his standards, although he still might have been the best of the 3. I also think some are getting bored by him winning the Norris. Green I don't think deserved it just for putting up 30 goals, though if his defense improved he could make a good case.

    Pavel still being the funniest guy in the NHL though.

Page 108 of 123 FirstFirst ... 58 98 106 107 108 109 110 118 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2011-2012 NHL Season Thread: FUCK COREY PERRY
    By Callisto in forum Sports
    Replies: 19036
    Last Post: 2012-04-10, 08:38
  2. 2010-2011 NHL Season Thread
    By Callisto in forum Sports
    Replies: 12372
    Last Post: 2011-04-11, 22:16
  3. MLB '08 Season Discussion
    By Doombard in forum Sports
    Replies: 1420
    Last Post: 2009-01-08, 16:58
  4. NBA Regular Season 2007-08
    By Rigor in forum Sports
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 2007-11-16, 08:49