+ Reply to Thread
    BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

New laptop, having some problems

I bought a brand new laptop last week, and i'm pretty pleased with it except for a couple issues. first off ill start with the specs:

Model: HP HDX 18t
    Windows: Windows Vista Ultimate x64 bit
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8GHz
    RAM: 3GB DDR2 DIMM
    Video Card: 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Hard Drive:
    250GB 5400RPM SATA

Problem #1
    My first problem is with the sound/speakers. With the volume anywhere near 30% or higher, popping noises and crackling/static are played along with what it seems to be high bass sounds and high treble sounds. I am able to turn both of these up and down, and even with both all the way off I can still hear the static.

I opened the volume control software to mess around with some settings to see if it helped. I ended up disabling the "Dolby surround space expander" which fixed the majority of the static, but the problem is still there... I'm fairly certain the drivers are up to date, seeing as i got the computer last week

According to the HP site, the speakers are:
    Home-theater-quality audio with premium 2.1-capable speakers, with a 7.1 audio system capable via digital output through HDMI, a triple bass reflex subwoofer, and Dolby-simulated surround sound

Problem #2
    Of course, windower does not work. UAC disabled, .exe set to run as administrator. etc... I want to try to disable the Microsoft eHome Infrared Theater, but the button in the Device Manager to disable it is greyed out. I read somewhere you can edit the registry to allow it to be disabled, but im at a loss where that would be.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Home-theater-quality audio with premium 2.1-capable speakers, with a 7.1 audio system capable via digital output through HDMI, a triple bass reflex subwoofer, and Dolby-simulated surround sound
    Unfortunately I think that's just one of them statements to make it sound like it's good, similar to onboard graphics:

Intel Extreme Graphics 2 supports the latest 2D and 3D APIs, delivering real-life environment and character effects. A 256-bit internal path enables up to four textures per pixel on a single pass for super light maps, atmospheric effects, and more realistic surface details. Flexible display capabilities enhance the personal computing experience, offering significant benefits for applications requiring 32 bpp and higher display resolution.
    In other words, it's the most basic of the basics. (aka fucking shit)

Laptop speaks will always suck, unless you manage to buy some $5000 (£2500~) laptop, but even then, it will probably still suck.

In regards to Problem #1, please try it with headphones to see if it the static is there too.

And with Problem #2, how does it not work? Do you get to POL at all? Where do you get stuck? Any error messages?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I just tried my headphones on a few different songs and a couple movies. The static and popping is definitly there. At least its not the hardware

As for the windower problem, heres a screenshot. After clicking Play in POL, FFXI starts to load then this happens. All plugins disabled.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Ah I see. Unfortunately I can't suggest much for that for now then...

As for the crash ... take another screen, this time, click on that arrow which views more information "View problem details"

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

more info

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Damn, I have a similar problem but with the hook.dll, not that dll you got specified.

I have a temporarily work arounnd is that in the POL config (NOT FFXI config) I untick the box which says "Start POL in Windowed" mode, so it makes POL start in full screen, and then after clicking play, windower takes over and it's back to windowed mode, within FFXI.

Try that. I doubt it'll work but you'll never know. The only frustration is you can't have a windowered POL box.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

wow i didnt even know that existed... but no it does not work, and gives the same error/details.

i did some searching on the windower.net forum, and people say it has to do with the Infrared devices in Vista. I want to try disabling them, but the button is "greyed out" in the Device Manager... noone seems to have a solution to enable it either.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Have you tried using windower lite? I had a problem similar to this on my Vista laptop... for some reason the full windower would not work, but windower lite did.

Also, try disabling your graphics card and using your on-board graphics card to boot up windower (you'll need to restart to do this), just to see if it works and if it's your graphics card or something else which is the root of the problem.

Finally, in regards to the audio problem, if you still hear the crackling noise when you have your headphones in then it's definitely your audio card and not your speakers. What kind of card do you have? Also you should definitely double-check and make sure your drivers are accurate, even though it's a new PC... because sometimes they aren't or they actually could be incompatible with your sound card (unlikely but I've seen it before).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag