Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 662
  1. #301
    Ridill
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    13,568
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Valisk View Post
    Ok thank you. I get it. I'm a bigot. Now GTFO so I can debate this with people who are actually arguing for points rather than my label.
    Your points were argued.

    It was pointed out that the justification that you are using is the same justification that was used to prevent interracial marriages, which was deemed in violation of the Due Process Clause of the 14th amendment.

    You haven't yet explained why that shouldn't be the case with homosexual marriages.

  2. #302
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,320
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Valisk View Post
    Ok thank you. I get it. I'm a bigot. Now GTFO so I can debate this with people who are actually arguing for points rather than my label.
    lol what points? You're a bigot and we're not, what's to argue?

  3. #303
    St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,645
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Valisk View Post
    Ok thank you. I get it. I'm a bigot. Now GTFO so I can debate this with people who are actually arguing for points rather than my label.
    Your points earn your label.

  4. #304
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    58,892
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Valisk View Post
    Ok thank you. I get it. I'm a bigot. Now GTFO so I can debate this with people who are actually arguing for points rather than my label.
    You refuse to acknowledge that the inability to marry a woman based on gender makes marriage unequal and discriminatory - you hear the valid points being made and don't acknowledge or counter them other than putting your fingers in your ears and saying "LALALALA both can marry opposite sex i can't hear you LALALALA."

    Refusing to address actual points being made by me doesn't mean I'm not making them.

  5. #305
    Black Belt
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,799
    BG Level
    8

    So Valisk and others citing selective service (which again doesn't address that women can marry men but men cannot marry men)... what is your legitimate, non-religious reasoning for this form of gender discrimination? At least for selective service, there's the issues of sustaining a population for a prolonged war and certain physical issues regarding females on a battlefield. although really there are enough non-direct combat roles more than acceptable for women that I think selective service should probably be extended. an interesting note is that in a Communist system the whole problem can be avoided by drafting women for war industry positions, but that's neither here nor there.

    Also note that one controversial standing doesn't justify another, especially when trying to convince people who don't necessarily agree with either.

  6. #306
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,576
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Odin

    @ Alleya & Tristam: Regardless of my label stick to the fuckin debate at hand. If you have nothing to add other than call me names then gtfo. This is a topic I'm very interested in and trying to get all points of views on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by aurik View Post
    Your points were argued.

    It was pointed out that the justification that you are using is the same justification that was used to prevent interracial marriages, which was deemed in violation of the Due Process Clause of the 14th amendment.

    You haven't yet explained why that shouldn't be the case with homosexual marriages.
    I thought I countered this by saying that certain things are reserved for certain people? What was your counter for my post about" "collecting unemployment check after getting off work" ?

  7. #307
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    58,892
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Valisk View Post
    I thought I countered this by saying that certain things are reserved for certain people?
    So what group of people is marriage reserved for, exactly?

    Serious question.

  8. #308
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,320
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Valisk View Post
    I thought I countered this by saying that certain things are reserved for certain people? What was your counter for my post about" "collecting unemployment check after getting off work" ?
    You have every right to get fired from your job and become unemployed.

    edit: fired vs. quit

  9. #309
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,576
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Odin

    Quote Originally Posted by Beckwin View Post
    So Valisk and others citing selective service (which again doesn't address that women can marry men but men cannot marry men)... what is your legitimate, non-religious reasoning for this form of gender discrimination? At least for selective service, there's the issues of sustaining a population for a prolonged war and certain physical issues regarding females on a battlefield. although really there are enough non-direct combat roles more than acceptable for women that I think selective service should probably be extended.
    My whole point for citing the selective service was just to show that men and women dont ALWAYS do the same things as men like some people are making it out as. It was just an example of one thing that men are required by law to do and women are not. We don't require them to register nor do we place them on the front lines (unless they volunteer). I was just using it as part of my argument, I don't necessarily believe it.

  10. #310
    An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,178
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

    Quote Originally Posted by Beckwin View Post
    So Valisk and others citing selective service (which again doesn't address that women can marry men but men cannot marry men)... what is your legitimate, non-religious reasoning for this form of gender discrimination? At least for selective service, there's the issues of sustaining a population for a prolonged war and certain physical issues regarding females on a battlefield. although really there are enough non-direct combat roles more than acceptable for women that I think selective service should probably be extended. an interesting note is that in a Communist system the whole problem can be avoided by drafting women for war industry positions, but that's neither here nor there.

    Also note that one controversial standing doesn't justify another, especially when trying to convince people who don't necessarily agree with either.
    Funny you mention communists, since in the history of the 20th Century the only nations to field legetimate female soldiers (as in part of an organized, state-sanctioned military not geurilla fighters or revolutionary forces) were communist nations. During the Great Patriotic War, as WWII is known in Russia, women took to the battlefield as well as worked in war factories and in the rear lines. There were even a few squadrons of female-only combat pilots. The most famous being the "Night Witches" who were a night-fighter squadron - the Luftwaffe had a particulairly high respect for them for their flying prowress and combat effetivness.

    That little historical note aside I don't see much reason why, in post-modern nations why women of service age are not elligable for the draft or "selective service" as the phrase goes in the US. While there are biological (reproductive and other) and social "impedements" to women serving, I think it's an awfully ancient concept that only men are required to fight. Aside from menstruating (and that's highly debatable and I would argue a non-material issue), there's nothing that makes a woman any less or more capable than a man at being a soldier in a modern army. Any arguments about the "fairer sex" or "emotional and physical fraility" are totally meaningless logical arguments and rely only on old social precedent of gender divisions in societies around the world.

  11. #311
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,576
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Odin

    Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    So what group of people is marriage reserved for, exactly?

    Serious question.
    That's the thing, it's reserved for ANYBODY willing to marry the opposite sex. I have the exact same right to marry a woman just like a homosexual has the exact same right to marry a women. If he chooses not to exercise his right to marry a woman then that's his personal decision.

  12. #312
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,576
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Odin

    Quote Originally Posted by Tristam View Post
    You have every right to get fired from your job and become unemployed.

    edit: fired vs. quit
    Right. So getting fired is a stipulation to collecting unemplyment just like opposing sexs is a stipulation to getting married.

  13. #313
    blax n gunz
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11,141
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Valisk View Post
    That's the thing, it's reserved for ANYBODY willing to marry the opposite sex. I have the exact same right to marry a woman just like a homosexual has the exact same right to marry a women. If he chooses not to exercise his right to marry a woman then that's his personal decision.
    Henry Ford used to say you could have any color car you wanted, as long as it was black. The illusion of choice is not the same as actual liberty.

  14. #314
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,320
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Valisk View Post
    Right. So getting fired is a stipulation to collecting unemplyment just like opposing sexs is a stipulation to getting married.
    you're just repeating the same thing over and over

    you believe some people should have rights while others should not based on sexuality.

    You're adding nothing new to the discussion, you're not debating anything, you're just saying "I'm a bigot" a different way each time.

    get it?

    edit: And it's not that one is a prerequisite for the other. Anyone can collect unemployment regardless of their race gender etc. Yet you're explicitly denying a set of rights to one group based on sexuality.

  15. #315
    Ridill
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    13,568
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Valisk View Post
    My whole point for citing the selective service was just to show that men and women dont ALWAYS do the same things as men like some people are making it out as. It was just an example of one thing that men are required by law to do and women are not. We don't require them to register nor do we place them on the front lines (unless they volunteer). I was just using it as part of my argument, I don't necessarily believe it.
    And lots of people, me included, think that selective service should be extended to include women where it isn't logistically impractical. And that makes it a terrible example.

    I thought I countered this by saying that certain things are reserved for certain people? What was your counter for my post about" "collecting unemployment check after getting off work" ?
    The 14th amendment explicitly forbids denying "to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws". Since any person--gay, straight, white, black, male, female, muslim, christian, atheist, pastafarian--is treated equally under unemployment laws, there's no conflict here.

    The difference with marriage law is that it is a conflict when you say men and women have different rights on who they may marry. Men may marry women, whereas women may not. That's not equal protection under the law.

  16. #316
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    58,892
    BG Level
    10

    Valisk, you make it clear that marriage is for everyone as long as they marry the opposite sex, and you state that this is similar to other situations where discrimination occurs - but why do you feel that it should be this way? We get that it is this way, but why should it be?

    Why -should- discrimination be written into the state constitution?

  17. #317
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,576
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Odin

    Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    Henry Ford used to say you could have any color car you wanted, as long as it was black. The illusion of choice is not the same as actual liberty.
    I see what you're saying (and love that quote) but it's a little different. If you applied that to today, you'd have the liberty to choose from millions of makes, models, and years. Sure it would still be black, but there are millions of other options. Black being the opposite sex. Makes, models, years being a number of other characteristics to choose from.

  18. #318
    New Spam Forum
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    158
    BG Level
    3
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

    Valisk, do you believe people are born gay or choose to be gay?

  19. #319
    Queen of the Pity Party
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    11,743
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    BEST POST EVER, MARRY ME

    Oh wait, nevermind

  20. #320
    Very Sexy Nerd
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    8,739
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

    Wow, you're pretty fucking thick.

    Do me a favor and go to page 5, and honestly answer the super simple question that I posted.

Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cabal Online USA CBT OPEN REG!
    By justamemory in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 2008-02-01, 17:34
  2. Square Enix Official Online Merchandise Store now open!
    By Haiko in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 2007-08-26, 11:52
  3. Phantasy Star Universe Online Beta Open!
    By Erebus in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 2006-10-24, 13:11
  4. Sony Online Entertainment opening RMT Servers for EQII
    By layoneil in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2005-04-20, 13:27