Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 340 of 662
  1. #321
    Very Sexy Nerd
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    8,739
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

    Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    To all the people opposing gay marriage:

    If you were gay, how would you feel if you were denied the right to get married?
    Here, I went ahead and quoted it for you.

    6 pages and not a single real answer to this simple question.

  2. #322
    Rem
    Rem is offline
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    863
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

    Quote Originally Posted by meson View Post
    Valisk, do you believe people are born gay or choose to be gay?
    I've had this argument with him before in ls chat a couple of years ago. LOL

  3. #323
    Ridill
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    13,568
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Here, I went ahead and quoted it for you.

    6 pages and not a single real answer to this simple question.
    You can marry, just not anyone that you feel intimate about. According to Valisk, this is equality.

  4. #324
    Demosthenes11
    Guest

    I will repeat what I said a few pages ago.

    Anybody who believes gays should not have the right to marry are bigots that either:
    a) accept they are bigots and embrace it
    b) hide behind bullshit excuses which get knocked down constantly and are completely devoid of complex thought

    Let's guess which one Valisk is!

  5. #325
    Very Sexy Nerd
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    8,739
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

    Quote Originally Posted by aurik View Post
    You can marry, just not anyone that you feel intimate about. According to Valisk, this is equality.
    Awesome!

  6. #326
    Queen of the Pity Party
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    11,743
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Valisk View Post
    That's the thing, it's reserved for ANYBODY willing to marry the opposite sex. I have the exact same right to marry a woman just like a homosexual has the exact same right to marry a women. If he chooses not to exercise his right to marry a woman then that's his personal decision.
    You have the right to marry someone you love who is of legal age and able to give consent. I do not.

  7. #327
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,320
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by aurik View Post
    You can marry, just not anyone that you feel intimate about. According to Valisk, this is equality.
    Man: Hi Woman let's date and get married!

    Woman: Sure that sounds great!

    Man: P.S. I'm gay!

    Yay equality?

  8. #328
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,576
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Odin

    Quote Originally Posted by aurik View Post
    And lots of people, me included, think that selective service should be extended to include women where it isn't logistically impractical. And that makes it a terrible example.
    Just because YOU believe it should be changed doesn't make it a terrible example because it's still there, unchanged.


    Quote Originally Posted by aurik View Post
    The difference with marriage law is that it is a conflict when you say men and women have different rights on who they may marry. Men may marry women, whereas women may not. That's not equal protection under the law.
    See below.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maaglin View Post
    There's nothing stopping homosexuals from getting married in every traditional sense of the word. They can have a ceromony, reception, get a power of attorney, etc, and live a married lifestyle.

    The only thing they don't get are the government (tax payers) benefits (not rights, benefits) that come with the state recognizing your marriage. The government hands out beneifts all the time based on discrimination, it's bascially what makes them benefits and I don't see any outcry over that.
    law =/= benefits. They ARE granted equal right, just aren't recognized by the state to reap BENEFITS. Correct me if I'm wrong.

    <3 Rem

    As for as do I believe they are born gay or if it's a choice... Um... I personally believe it's a choice. You choose who you love and who you allow to get near you and show affection.

  9. #329
    Very Sexy Nerd
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    8,739
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

    Look, another person dodges my question!

  10. #330
    Queen of the Pity Party
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    11,743
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Look, another person dodges my question!
    It's ok, it's his choice to be incapable of a legitimate answer.

  11. #331
    New Spam Forum
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    158
    BG Level
    3
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

    When did you choose to be straight?

  12. #332
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,576
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Odin

    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes11 View Post
    I will repeat what I said a few pages ago.

    Anybody who believes gays should not have the right to marry are bigots that either:
    a) accept they are bigots and embrace it
    b) hide behind bullshit excuses which get knocked down constantly and are completely devoid of complex thought

    Let's guess which one Valisk is!
    Ok, let's get this straight. No pun intended. I'm neutral on the subject. I'm not for it, I'm not against it. I didn't want to come out and say that at then beginning because then I'd just be accused of being a troll. I'm not a troll just trying to get reactions out of people and piss them off. I simply want to know what everyone thinks and how they defend certain points of views. Playing devil's advocate if you will. I'm just taking an opposing stance and gathering information from both the affirmative and the opposition.

    If this proposition ever came to Texas, I would either not vote at all on it, or vote to allow them to marry.

  13. #333
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    58,871
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Valisk View Post
    They ARE granted equal right
    No, jesus christ you're thick.

    Men can marry women, women can't marry women. One has the right to marry women, the other doesn't. That is not equal. They both have the right to marry, but they don't have equal rights.

  14. #334
    Ridill
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    13,568
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Valisk View Post
    Just because YOU believe it should be changed doesn't make it a terrible example because it's still there, unchanged.
    It does make it a terrible example, actually. Two wrongs don't make a right, and so forth.


    law =/= benefits. They ARE granted equal right, just aren't recognized by the state to reap BENEFITS. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    They are not granted equal rights. In most states, it is MUCH harder to adopt children if you are not in a marriage. In some states, marriage is a prerequisite for adoption. Therefore, the difference in adoption rights amount to a difference in equal protection under the laws.

  15. #335
    Demosthenes11
    Guest

    the gender comparison is irrelevant.

    Straights have the right to marry who they fall in love with if they are of consenting age.
    gays do not have the right to marry whom they love even if they are of consenting age.

    That. Is. Not. Equal.

  16. #336
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,576
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Odin

    Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Look, another person dodges my question!
    Sorry, missed it. I would't know how to answer that because I'm not in that situation. That's like asking my what I would do if I was in the middle of the ocean surrounded by sharks. I could tell you theoretically what I would do on paper, but wouldnt know if I'd execute it irl.

    But on paper, if I were gay and people were preventing me from getting married, I'd probably be pissed. But nowhere did I say that gay people arent allowed to be upset.

    Oh and someone asked when did I choose to be straight. When I was old enough to make my own decisions and decide what I was attracted to. So 12ish? Before then it was probably "ewww girls have cooties".

  17. #337
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    58,871
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes11 View Post
    the gender comparison is irrelevant.
    Kind of, but it points more directly to the actual letter of the law, and since people are much more sensitive to sexism than homophobia, and there is a much longer legal history regarding gender rights than gay rights, it's not a bad tack to take as far as defense goes. Probably holds up much better in an "equal protection" argument as well.

  18. #338
    Chram
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,674
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Helmut Lang
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    Quote Originally Posted by Valisk View Post
    Sorry, missed it. I would't know how to answer that because I'm not in that situation. That's like asking my what I would do if I was in the middle of the ocean surrounded by sharks. I could tell you theoretically what I would do on paper, but wouldnt know if I'd execute it irl.

    But on paper, if I were gay and people were preventing me from getting married, I'd probably be pissed. But nowhere did I say that gay people arent allowed to be upset.

    Oh and someone asked when did I choose to be straight. When I was old enough to make my own decisions and decide what I was attracted to. So 12ish? Before then it was probably "ewww girls have cooties".
    It was a conscious decision? You thought long and hard one day and decided "to be straight"? Did you then proceed to stand up in front a group of friends and family and pronounce your straightness? Give me a break.

  19. #339
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,576
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Odin

    Quote Originally Posted by aurik View Post
    It does make it a terrible example, actually. Two wrongs don't make a right, and so forth.




    They are not granted equal rights. In most states, it is MUCH harder to adopt children if you are not in a marriage. In some states, marriage is a prerequisite for adoption. Therefore, the difference in adoption rights amount to a difference in equal protection under the laws.
    Adoption is not a right... that's a privlege.

    And Arch, I still think that it is equal if a man can marry an opposite and a woman can marry an opposite. That's equal to me. You can call me "thick" and every other name you can think of, but that's how I feel.

  20. #340
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,576
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Odin

    Quote Originally Posted by Intense View Post
    It was a conscious decision? You thought long and hard one day and decided "to be straight"? Did you then proceed to stand up in front a group of friends and family and pronounce your straightness? Give me a break.
    Because that's what you do when you make every decision? Oh shit, I have to piss. Let me call up all my family and friends and share the news. Are you kidding me?

Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cabal Online USA CBT OPEN REG!
    By justamemory in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 2008-02-01, 17:34
  2. Square Enix Official Online Merchandise Store now open!
    By Haiko in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 2007-08-26, 11:52
  3. Phantasy Star Universe Online Beta Open!
    By Erebus in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 2006-10-24, 13:11
  4. Sony Online Entertainment opening RMT Servers for EQII
    By layoneil in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2005-04-20, 13:27