Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Melee Summoner
    BG Level

What I'd love to see from Crafting

My woodworking is 70, my highest craft and it's pretty recent. I'm glad it was cheap to level because it hasn't made me much gil.

Here's some things I'd love to see for crafting.

Linkshell shops. I can craft shihei and bolts at a profit, but it's not a very big profit and typically if the crafters that consistently make shihei see someone trying to hedge in, they'll collectively undercut to push you back out. Nearly everyone uses shihei and enough people use arrows and bolts that I'd love to see an LS shop or mini-AH where only people with my ls's pearl could buy. This could also benefit the resale of unused gear, you can sell to friends at a better price for them. This would also free up some of the AH activity and cause prices on consumables to rise to the point of being worthwhile again, perhaps.

Wotg-supplies crafting.. We're at war! Those npc's use bolts, arrows, shihei, it would be nice if we could be given, or use AN points for parallel 'special' ingredients where we could make like Kingdom Shihei, Republican Shihei, Federation Arrows, etc that could be traded only to npcs for a gil reward.

Just some ideas~.

Not bad ideas, but really doesn't address the problems that crafting has run into.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by grimrising View Post
    Wotg-supplies crafting.. We're at war! Those npc's use bolts, arrows, shihei, it would be nice if we could be given, or use AN points for parallel 'special' ingredients where we could make like Kingdom Shihei, Republican Shihei, Federation Arrows, etc that could be traded only to npcs for a gil reward.
    That's an interesting idea.

Having the quartremaster ask you to trade him specific items once a day for some gil and points would be nice. Or adding the guilds to the cities in the past, and making something like the GP items system, but with a gil reward. I'd like that.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Making crafting more profitable = more idiots levelling crafts = more idiots undercutting you = less gil.

As for trading things to NPCs, RMT would be all over it if it gave a decent profit, so that wouldn't work either.

Hate to say it, but as much as crafting isn't perfect, it's hard to improve.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Viviton View Post
    Making crafting more profitable = more idiots levelling crafts = more idiots undercutting you = less gil.

As for trading things to NPCs, RMT would be all over it if it gave a decent profit, so that wouldn't work either.

Hate to say it, but as much as crafting isn't perfect, it's hard to improve.
    A few things they could do to thwart RMT involvement is require a certain job level, and/or campaign rank.

I've always felt with FFXI compared to other MMOs one of the problems is that you can't rely on npc's for income. Yeah a select few items have nice resale prices to the npc, as high as 5-10k or more. This would be a way to involve those npcs.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Tie sales to campaign NPCs to how much you have taken part in the fighting?

Or make it dynamic...like the recipe required changes everyday according to the battle situation. We need XXX number of Y arrows today and ZZZ number of A arrows tomorrow. What would be cool is that the NPCs actually DO use them in combat...

The NPC price would perhaps be the average AH sale price x 0.X, so it is still more attractive than the AH.

If the range of recipes include armor and weapons, it could breathe quite a bit of life into crafting as a whole.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by tymora View Post
    If the range of recipes include armor and weapons, it could breathe quite a bit of life into crafting as a whole.
    Indeed :D. I didn't mean to blindly give only WW recipes as an example. Crafs like Smithing, CC, and Bonecraft could be asked, not only to make new armor but repair old from all these npc's that get obliterated all day long.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Haomarush

at first i thought the OP was a nob but after actually reading it it's a neat idea.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Its clearly the most stale system in the game, and you honestly have to have the heart for it if you really want to be crafting. While some of your ideas are sound, I honestly don't know how you can implement it without seeing some form of RMT monopolization.

Just to tag onto the "what I'd like to see in crafting" mentality, I would love to see a "master point" system. Once your character has a level 100 craft, you can then earn "master points" in clumps of 5 skill points for every other craft at level 60. Meaning if you have 100 smithing, 60 CC, 60 Gold, 60 WW, you would have 15 master points to add to any craft you wish above the current limit. This could open up some interesting tiers on cross synths that could breathe new life into crafting while rewarding those who have put the time in.

Just a secondary thought to the posted idea, which like I said- if you could find a way to implement it to benefit crafters slightly more than current NPC sales while not giving RMT an incredibly easy method of cheating the system, more power to ya.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

How about being up to date on WoTG quests? or like 200K-400K AN to buy the armed forces supplier license?

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

it is a really great idea, i totally like it, it would give a life back to many old recipe.
    even the repair thing is awesome, i did like to see few npc staring at your for breaking their stuff lol

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Problem would be more of extra gil into economy rather than RMT (should be easily handled with some pre-reqs)

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by tymora View Post
    Problem would be more of extra gil into economy rather than RMT (should be easily handled with some pre-reqs)
    If we know one thing about SE, they don't mind making players invest a lot of time for a reward, there would be nothing wrong with a series of requirements that any crafting active player could meet.

* As tymora suggested. Charge a license fee in allied notes. Even a smaller, subscription plan, lol. 10k, 25k notes per month?

* Require that the crafting be done on a 71+ job. Sometimes we end up 74, it happens.

* Reasonable limits on how much can be crafted of a particular item.

* Make the materials rare/ex ofc so rmt couldn't earn AN on a account that seems very much like a typical player and mule to a lv1 CC100.

And like I said, there's nothing wrong with the materials costing allied notes, as long as they paid more than to compensate. "Allied Shiheix99"'s materials could cost 500-1k Allied points and sell for 3500-4k gil to the npc? HQ rates would make higher tier crafters more money just as real crafting does, even people at shihei's skillcap could make some money since it wasn't costing them money.

Thanks for all the positive feedback, since it's only wishful thinking.