Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 95
  1. #41
    WHERE THE FUCK DID MY CUSTOM TITLE GO
    I DEMAND IT BE RESTORED
    OR A TITLE OF EQUAL OR GREATER VALUE IS PROVIDED
    Both of them. That's just a dick move.

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    935
    BG Level
    5

    I wonder if the dad will let him play Halo 3 now, knowing that his son means fucking business.

  2. #42
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,325
    BG Level
    7

    halo 3 had nothing to do with it.

    it's the fact that the guy was addicted to video games in general as a way to cope with whatever he was going through. it could have just so easily been a love of dolphin porn or synchronized swimming.

  3. #43
    okay guy I guess
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    24,390
    BG Level
    10

    ^or synchronized dolphin fucking

  4. #44
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    814
    BG Level
    5

    I love how people think parents are the only place where a child can get information. Sure, it's their duty to try to raise their kid right, but at a certain point, kids just go do whatever they want.

    As an example, my family has 4 children in it. 3 of the 4 of us have basically no problems, have grown up to lead decent normal lives with no real issues. However, one of my brothers can't seem to control his emotions. If anyone, even a random stranger on the street, says anything to him that he perceives as an insult, he flies into a defensive rage and will literally be willing to fight with anyone over his pride, even if he's outnumbered. He even got to the point where he had to change schools because he couldn't stop his rage, even towards teachers. I would argue, looking back now that I'm 25, that my parents have done a much better job raising us than 90% of all parents out there, so explain that one to me.

    None of us have any idea how these parents raised their kids and even then, who's to say they're at fault? Especially at 16, you have so much information flying into your head every single day, more so nowadays then ever before, it can be utterly confusing to know what's wrong and right and what's accepted or not accepted. Half the places you go on the internet these days cheer on shitty behavior or practically beg for some sort of drama story to happen. If you think you can control all the information a kid receives you're mistaken.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadyMan View Post
    I wonder if the dad will let him play Halo 3 now, knowing that his son means fucking business.
    For all we know, he read something like this and thought "Hell yeah, I'll show them who's boss!"

  5. #45
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,903
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

    I think a bit of it is the total ignorance of older generations regarding video games and not treating them like other hobbies. If your son was reading a book and you asked him to do something, would you wait until he finished a chapter and be ok with it? Or would you walk up to him and slam the book shut in his face (like turning off a Madden 95 game during the 3rd quarter)? If he was outside playing basketball with friends and you called him for dinner, would you scream every 10s until he was in a door or would you wait 5 minutes and let him come once he has finished up the game? My mother eventually adopted a "I called you once, now your food is cold, suck it up" policy and I think that's just fine parenting, lol. But sometimes she'd go batshit crazy about things which would get me to respond in a similar fashion. Completely banning a game is going a bit too far, especially since afaik Halo 3 is mostly a non-realistic shooter.

    Most video games have a way to "pause" them rather shortly after you need to pause, or save them. Especially now, it was a bit worse 10 years ago because some games like FF had very long ways to go to save points during dungeons, but you could also just go to the menu screen then too. I think the best situation would be for a parent and child to compromise on doing this. The kid can play the game as long as they are willing to pause a game shortly after being asked to perform any chores. However a lot of parents seem to take the extreme route against video games, completely not allowing them to even be played in this circumstance. This only incites the rebellious nature of teenagers and causes more extreme reactions, like Mizango's story from above (which even if it is a joke, I can see happening in a number of families).

    I think this is mostly a rough time between generations as the video gamers are only just now becoming old enough to be parents (of teens). I'd hope that in another 15 years or so things will be a bit better in regards to such things. But I also worry that in 15 years parents will be even more lazy than they are now and kids will be even more fucked up...but that's another thread.

    I think I rambled a bit too much, going to bed...lol.

  6. #46
    WHERE THE FUCK DID MY CUSTOM TITLE GO
    I DEMAND IT BE RESTORED
    OR A TITLE OF EQUAL OR GREATER VALUE IS PROVIDED
    Both of them. That's just a dick move.

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    935
    BG Level
    5

    Well he fucking showed them who was boss, didn't he? Frankly, I lol'd at his set up.

  7. #47
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    814
    BG Level
    5

    Actually, I know you're just trolling, but there's the real laugh. He only showed how little control he really has as society just fell on him like a ton of bricks and this guy is going to be paying for this show of retaliation for a long time.

  8. #48
    WHERE THE FUCK DID MY CUSTOM TITLE GO
    I DEMAND IT BE RESTORED
    OR A TITLE OF EQUAL OR GREATER VALUE IS PROVIDED
    Both of them. That's just a dick move.

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    935
    BG Level
    5

    I think its kinda funny that whenever someone has an unpopular viewpoint, all you have to do is yell "UR TROLLIN'!" and all of a sudden what they say has no meaning. Not a very respectable rhetorical strategy, throws your ethos out the fuckin' window, ya ken?

  9. #49
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    814
    BG Level
    5

    I'm sorry, when I see something as completely idiotic as: "Well he fucking showed them who was boss" in a situation like this, I like to assume that no one's so stupid as to honestly think such a thing, but I guess this kid shot his parents over a video game, so yeah.

    That kid didn't show anyone anything but how much of a coward and an idiot he is. Year or two and he could have played any game he wanted. He lived at his parents house at their grace, was fed by them, used their electricity and survived on their dime for 16 years. If he didn't like their rules or thought they were unfair, he should have left. That would have showed them who's boss.

  10. #50
    Sandworm Swallows
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,989
    BG Level
    8

    It's the fucking internet you sopping cunts. YOU SHOULD BE USED TO THIS SHIT BY NOW THIS IS FUCKING BLUE GARTR FORUMS NOT GODDAMN SUNSHINEFLOWERSCAKEANDFIREWORKS.COM

  11. #51
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,325
    BG Level
    7

    LEAVE BLUE GARTR ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE

  12. #52
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    814
    BG Level
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiro View Post
    It's the fucking internet you sopping cunts. YOU SHOULD BE USED TO THIS SHIT BY NOW THIS IS FUCKING BLUE GARTR FORUMS NOT GODDAMN SUNSHINEFLOWERSCAKEANDFIREWORKS.COM
    If you don't want to see that sort of shit you should go back to spam or over to 4ch. General discussion means talk about anything, quit being a little bitch. My every post isn't to personally entertain you.

  13. #53
    Also Firas
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,431
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglestrike View Post
    I think a bit of it is the total ignorance of older generations regarding video games and not treating them like other hobbies. If your son was reading a book and you asked him to do something, would you wait until he finished a chapter and be ok with it? Or would you walk up to him and slam the book shut in his face (like turning off a Madden 95 game during the 3rd quarter)? If he was outside playing basketball with friends and you called him for dinner, would you scream every 10s until he was in a door or would you wait 5 minutes and let him come once he has finished up the game? My mother eventually adopted a "I called you once, now your food is cold, suck it up" policy and I think that's just fine parenting, lol. But sometimes she'd go batshit crazy about things which would get me to respond in a similar fashion. Completely banning a game is going a bit too far, especially since afaik Halo 3 is mostly a non-realistic shooter.

    Most video games have a way to "pause" them rather shortly after you need to pause, or save them. Especially now, it was a bit worse 10 years ago because some games like FF had very long ways to go to save points during dungeons, but you could also just go to the menu screen then too. I think the best situation would be for a parent and child to compromise on doing this. The kid can play the game as long as they are willing to pause a game shortly after being asked to perform any chores. However a lot of parents seem to take the extreme route against video games, completely not allowing them to even be played in this circumstance. This only incites the rebellious nature of teenagers and causes more extreme reactions, like Mizango's story from above (which even if it is a joke, I can see happening in a number of families).

    I think this is mostly a rough time between generations as the video gamers are only just now becoming old enough to be parents (of teens). I'd hope that in another 15 years or so things will be a bit better in regards to such things. But I also worry that in 15 years parents will be even more lazy than they are now and kids will be even more fucked up...but that's another thread.

    I think I rambled a bit too much, going to bed...lol.
    you rambled alright, so you're comparing reading a book and basketball to a video game, well excuse me.

    Let me put myself in the parents' shoes; if i see my son reading a book or playing basketball, well wow 1) he's benefitting from it 2) its healthy
    thats the reason why I don't go shutting the book in his face, or just taking the basketball away from him in the middle of a game (if i could). Not because I dont recognize videogames as hobbies, I know they're hobbies, I just dont think they need to be given that much importance.

    but when i see my kid, sitting for hours infront of a screen, not learning not moving, looking hypnotized....and you happen to mention that videogames have pause/save options...then I sure will shut it off w/o any pardon! fuck the kid and his game, society and what it teaches is a dangerous thing now. The fact that the standards have lowered to the extent of choosing a game over your family, for even a second is just alerting. society/parenting all that mixed up gives you a very compitent killer.

    I always say and i'll say it again; too much freedom kills.

  14. #54
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    860
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Azgalor

    "Shit....almost had a Double Kill."

  15. #55
    Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    51,544
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Firas View Post
    I always say and i'll say it again; too much freedom kills.
    Are you fucking kidding me? You'd rather we adhere to the illogical fantasies of lolreligion? Too many assholes refusing to accept personal liability is what truly kills.

  16. #56
    I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    20,043
    BG Level
    10

    I don't see what's completely wrong with saying too much freedom kills; it's just that it's a "boring" thing to say. Like saying all extremes are bad, which is a duh moment.

  17. #57
    YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,453
    BG Level
    7
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

    The kid was 16 when the shooting happened, and I'd say if locking the game up drove the kid to premeditate a staged murder-suicide, then he was already pretty fucked up in the head and the parents had every right to keep the game from him.

    We roll our eyes at the over-protecting of "violent content" sometimes because we get generalized into this group of mindless zombies who will go around killing anyone because a game told us to, but at the same time those content warnings DO have some merit. The difference is that most people are capable of distancing themselves from it so those influences don't adversely affect them; I'd bet money this kid wasn't capable of that (or if he was, certainly made no strides to demonstrate it to his parents...you know, the people legally responsible for his care).

  18. #58
    Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    51,544
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    I don't see what's completely wrong with saying too much freedom kills; it's just that it's a "boring" thing to say. Like saying all extremes are bad, which is a duh moment.
    I'm more addressing the circumstances in which the killings took place. "Too much freedom" isn't even in the equation, on the contrary, according to the article the guy was confined to his house for a year with possibly the utmost restrictions by a religious zealot of a father. Saying "too much freedom kills" is a lame rhetorical cop-out when obviously there were more factors that led to the shootings then a mere game.

  19. #59
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    58,864
    BG Level
    10

    I'm just not really sure how you can get the conclusion of "too much freedom kills" from a circumstance in which a kid's "freedom" was taken away, and that's why he killed.

    Seems to me that not enough freedom led to this one.

  20. #60
    HEY FUCK YOU BUDDY
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    330
    BG Level
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by Null View Post
    I can't believe they even tried to justify a "snowboarding" injury and being held up in home as to something that would lead to this. That just blew my mind.
    There's a joke here, but I've got nothing. Someone finish it for me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Teen Pregnancy; Parents Fault ?
    By Octavious in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 2008-09-05, 11:56