Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 78

Thread: Your 2008 GOTY     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #41
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    11,977
    BG Level
    9

    The experience in MGS4 is amazing... towards the end, you can really feel the pain Snake is going through (and I'm not talking about any cutscenes)

  2. #42
    D. Ring
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,855
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

    ive never played a mgs game other than 30mins in mgs1, and i absolutely loved mgs4.

    mgs4 is my goty, nothing else even close

  3. #43
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    19,023
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivaden View Post
    With so many people saying MGS4, I have to ask, and I do this with no intentions to start an argument or anything, but:

    Was it fun to play, or was it fun to watch?


    I can't imagine MGS4 being very different from MGS2 in terms of gameplay, but then again I never followed a thing about it because I don't have a PS3, yet I'm generally curious to the response of this question.
    Fun to play and watch. You'd play it, being sneaky and fucking with soldiers, shooting them in the head from a distance and watching their reactions then you would get to a cutscene and be in awe. Of either the graphical presentation or the story and events that unfold. The boss fights are fun and some are just so damn epic you need to stop for a while and figure out what exactly it is you're doing.

    The ratio of playing to watching is about 40:60 (or at least 30:70), but both are great.

  4. #44
    The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,761
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

    Haven't played Fallout 3 yet, but will be soon. So far it's MGS4. Fun to watch, even more fun to play. Replayed it 3 times and enjoyed every playthrough. The most frustrating of which was getting the Big Boss Emblem, however, it was absolutely worth it. Doing the Big Boss Emblem, the playing:Watching ratio is about 99.9:.1. YOu skip the cutscenes as fast as you can and play each area about 60 god damn times (and the chase scene about 6,000 times) until you get it right. Sounds annoying, but it's worth it.

  5. #45
    Champion of the House of Weave
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,124
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Since MGS4 is getting alot of mentions, I have a question:

    I played the first 2 but not 3. Will I be missing alot if I played 4 without playing 3? Or should I find a copy of 3 and finish that first?

  6. #46
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11,713
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    IMO, Play them in order 1-2-3-4 or don't play them at all.
    Although 3 is a prequel to the rest of the series, you'll understand it more (and the little jokes they threw in randomly) if you've played 1 and 2 first.

    And yeah, 3 is a big part of the story in 4, so you'll want to play it (or at least watch all the cutscenes..)

    Seriously there's no excuse not to play MGS1/2/3, the MGS collection is like 30 bucks NEW.

  7. #47
    New Merits
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    225
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

    Definitely play 3 before 4. Even though 4 is a continuation from 2, certain events in 4 will not leave the impact on you they would have if you had played 3 beforehand. You will really really kick yourself if you play Guns of the Patriots before Snake Eater. Apart from that Snake Eater was fucking epic and deserves to be played. Personally the conclusion to the game and the entire buildup leading to it was so good that I'm worried I'll probably never see something like it again in any form of media.

    Right after posting this I found out that MGS4 was named Gamespot's GOTY. Doubtful IGN will do the same, they gave Best Story to GTA4 and have been riding R*'s cocks since April.

  8. #48
    D. Ring
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,855
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomiko View Post
    Since MGS4 is getting alot of mentions, I have a question:

    I played the first 2 but not 3. Will I be missing alot if I played 4 without playing 3? Or should I find a copy of 3 and finish that first?

    all i did was read the happenings of mgs1-3 and i enjoyed it deeply, dont think you have to play it, im sure its better if you do, but it was a great experience none-the-less

  9. #49
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,342
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Reapz Sjc
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Playing the previous 3 MGS before MGS4 is definetly worth it because there are characters and backstory from every game which you need to know for it to be a more epic experience!

  10. #50
    Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,841
    BG Level
    8

    They also reference the first two Metal Gears and Portable Ops but all you really need to know about those is that MG1 and 2 took place in Outer Heaven and Zanzibarland, two military states led by Big Boss, that at the end of MG2 Snake assumes Frank Jeager and Big Boss are dead, and that Ocelot has a phone conversation with the founder of the Patriots at the end of Portable Ops.

  11. #51
    This isnt going so well guys.
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,654
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    MGS4, currently playing Persona 4 so I wont pass any judgment yet, but I don't see my opinion of MGS4 changing even if Persona 4 has been awesome so far.

  12. #52
    United States of Smash!
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,818
    BG Level
    8

    I would have to say based on entertainment and amount of time spent playing it Dead Space gets my GOTY just because even after you beat it the first time it is so much fun to play through again killing necromorphs with a fully upgraded gun.

  13. #53
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,313
    BG Level
    6

    There are several games I haven't had a chance to play, so I can't really judge everything. From what I have played, I'd probably say MGS4. I enjoyed Fallout 3's gameplay more, and the story of Lost Odyssey evoked more emotions. Overall though, I think MGS4 felt like it was the most complete game. Lost Odyssey would probably be a close second, just because I actually enjoyed the gameplay, but it wasn't as deep as MGS4's.

    I did just buy Persona 4 today, so falls into one of those 'can't judge yet' categories.

  14. #54
    Predictably Unpredictable
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,289
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    MGS4 and P3:FES

  15. #55
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,147
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Metal Gear Solid 4. Enough cannot be said about this game.

    Surprisingly, I liked Silent Hill Homecoming a good bit. I think I would prefer it over Dead Space.

  16. #56
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    508
    BG Level
    5

    Mass Effect....and before somebody says "but that didn't come out this year", I got it on PC.

  17. #57
    Official THE Alpha and Omega
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,892
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    World of Goo and Fallout 3. I can't choose

  18. #58
    Sponsored by Orton
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,517
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivaden View Post
    With so many people saying MGS4, I have to ask, and I do this with no intentions to start an argument or anything, but:

    Was it fun to play, or was it fun to watch?


    I can't imagine MGS4 being very different from MGS2 in terms of gameplay, but then again I never followed a thing about it because I don't have a PS3, yet I'm generally curious to the response of this question.
    Both without a doubt. MGS has always had a good habit of putting you in some epic boss battles, plus just the general sneaking around was a lot of fun. Overall, I have never felt more in control of a MGS game than I did in 4. I wasn't going through camo menus every 5 seconds, firing my weapon for once finally felt seemless to me, and being in the middle of war zones was engrossing.

    Also, the entire end sequence of the game is just amazing. The final hand to hand combat fight with Snake and Ocelot is easily the most epic moment I've experienced in a video game. It was simple but everything was just woven together so beautifly with the music, controls, and how the characters fought each other.

    Shit I'm going to have to go play that sequence again now lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso View Post
    IMO, Play them in order 1-2-3-4 or don't play them at all.
    Although 3 is a prequel to the rest of the series, you'll understand it more (and the little jokes they threw in randomly) if you've played 1 and 2 first.

    And yeah, 3 is a big part of the story in 4, so you'll want to play it (or at least watch all the cutscenes..)

    Seriously there's no excuse not to play MGS1/2/3, the MGS collection is like 30 bucks NEW.
    THIS.

    MGS4 can be a great stand alone game IMO, but you won't just be missing out on a lot of the story, but also a lot of the emotion and small nuiances in the game. For instance, the entire Shadow Moses act would mean nothing if you didn't play through MGS1. The entire last fight squence I mentioned earlier would lose a lot of it's meaning without going through those games. And you really won't be able to appreciate how much of a badass Raiden became unless you play through 2. The switch was DRASTIC.

  19. #59
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    19,023
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Stiker View Post
    Both without a doubt. MGS has always had a good habit of putting you in some epic boss battles, plus just the general sneaking around was a lot of fun. Overall, I have never felt more in control of a MGS game than I did in 4. I wasn't going through camo menus every 5 seconds, firing my weapon for once finally felt seemless to me, and being in the middle of war zones was engrossing.

    Also, the entire end sequence of the game is just amazing. The final hand to hand combat fight with Snake and Ocelot is easily the most epic moment I've experienced in a video game. It was simple but everything was just woven together so beautifly with the music, controls, and how the characters fought each other.

    Shit I'm going to have to go play that sequence again now lol.



    THIS.

    MGS4 can be a great stand alone game IMO, but you won't just be missing out on a lot of the story, but also a lot of the emotion and small nuiances in the game. For instance, the entire Shadow Moses act would mean nothing if you didn't play through MGS1. The entire last fight squence I mentioned earlier would lose a lot of it's meaning without going through those games. And you really won't be able to appreciate how much of a badass Raiden became unless you play through 2. The switch was DRASTIC.
    spoiler tag just in case-
    Spoiler: show
    Rex vs Ray would mean nothing if you didn't play MGS1 and 2, just sitting in Rex was a fucking epic moment, but being finally able to fight a real Ray was sweet. Not to mention the whole split screen Raiden vs Vamp with you blowing the fuck outta Gekkos.


    God Act 4 is so fucking epic.

  20. #60
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    696
    BG Level
    5

    Castle Crashers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Your 2008 disappointments.
    By Mayareira in forum Gaming Discussion
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 2008-12-16, 18:51
  2. Your top 2008 titles
    By Maxxthepenguin in forum Gaming Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 2008-12-09, 00:20