Page 344 of 352 FirstFirst ... 294 334 342 343 344 345 346 ... LastLast
Results 6861 to 6880 of 7027
  1. #6861
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    338
    BG Level
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by Ensam View Post
    1) Richie Sexson (fell off a cliff after his age 31 season)
    Interesting on how things turned out with him, considering how pissed off Brewers fans were when he left.

    You could also say that might apply to Fielder eventually, and I could just imagine the fan outrage if he is allowed to leave via free agency.

    That is unless his lettuce eating gets in the way of his on the field play and he goes back to his 2008 pillsbury doughboy form.

  2. #6862
    Pandemonium
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,839
    BG Level
    8
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

    Marlins sign Josh Johnson to a 4 year extension. Good for them, they needed to keep him.

  3. #6863
    THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    23,089
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    we have hope, which is more then what we can say for Cubs
    http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e5...i/TrollPUP.png

    I'm looking forward to watching Carlos Marmol close games for a whole year. Win or lose, it's fucking exciting. I actually think we can sniff the wild card this year, there's no way Soto and Soriano can be as bad as they were last year, right? RIGHT?! Then again, chances are Derrek Lee and Randy Wells won't be that good again, so...

    I'm also looking forward to see if Ryno can be successful with the Iowa Cubs, might turn into a coach-in-waiting situation when Sweet Lou steps down.

  4. #6864
    GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    25,823
    BG Level
    10

    Doesn't the disappointment of blowing the game outweigh the "excitement" of watching a wild closer?

  5. #6865
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,109
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Lex Luger
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Demon Soul

    Perhaps I'm blind, but nothing about Beltran's unauthorized surgery? Out likely 18 weeks. Quoted as having a "degenerative knee condition". I don't know about you guys, but I'd be pretty fucking worried if my best player, and center fielder has a degenerative problem with his wheels. Now if he comes back and sucks, at least the Mets will have an out and be able to void his contract. I'm sure that's the last thing they'd want it to come to, but... bad knees + center field + surgery AFTER you missed an entire season = no bueno. For fucks sake the Mets medical staff is a joke.

  6. #6866
    THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    23,089
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    Doesn't the disappointment of blowing the game outweigh the "excitement" of watching a wild closer?
    Yes but it only lasts until the next game.

  7. #6867
    GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    25,823
    BG Level
    10

    Yeah but he's still your closer the next game >.>

    I got spoiled with Soriano and Gonzalez last year, hopefully Billy Wagner can stay healthy and produce.

  8. #6868
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,147
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    Perhaps I'm blind, but nothing about Beltran's unauthorized surgery? Out likely 18 weeks. Quoted as having a "degenerative knee condition". I don't know about you guys, but I'd be pretty fucking worried if my best player, and center fielder has a degenerative problem with his wheels. Now if he comes back and sucks, at least the Mets will have an out and be able to void his contract. I'm sure that's the last thing they'd want it to come to, but... bad knees + center field + surgery AFTER you missed an entire season = no bueno. For fucks sake the Mets medical staff is a joke.
    It was talked about in last page, I even mentioned it a few posts up.

    Yes; Mets, DL, fucked.

  9. #6869
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    863
    BG Level
    5

    Speaking of closers, Lidge had more things taken out of his knee. Gotta wonder how bad it was since I think it's his 2nd or 3rd operation.

  10. #6870
    Pandemonium
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,839
    BG Level
    8
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

    Time to move on, let Madson close. I wouldn't let Lidge sniff the 9th inning anymore, I don't care how good he was 2 years ago.

  11. #6871
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,732
    BG Level
    7

    I really don't know what to think of the Beltran issue. I mean if given the proper amount of rest during the season he might be alright. But then again we're spending alot of money for his fielding and his durability and hitting.

  12. #6872
    RIDE ARMOR
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9
    BG Level
    0

    lol


    User was infracted for this post.

  13. #6873
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,284
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    I don't really care for Madson as a closer. I don't recall him ever having a decent stretch of games saved. Lidge was lousy last season. Anything that improves him I'm all for. He can't be any worse than last year and the Phillies were just fine (and I know he blew the game in the world series, but if Ruiz had held onto the pitch to Damon, which would have been strike three, maybe things would have been different). What I hate about Brad Lidge is inability to hold anybody on.

  14. #6874
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    863
    BG Level
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by Trichocyst View Post
    He can't be any worse than last year and the Phillies were just fine
    Yeah, they were talking on Daily News Live about how good the team really is. We had like 20 combined blown saves in the bullpen and still made it to Game 6 of the WS, and dominated the Dodger's and Rockies.

    Salisbury has an article up on CSNPhilly.com and talks about Werth and whether or not we can keep him. People seem to forget Werth was on a boat fishing thinking his baseball career was over and it was the Phillies who gave him an opportunity after his surgery . That'd be reason enough for me to stay with them. Maybe it's just my mind set or personality though.

    /rant: The Show should throw over to first base a few more fucking times in a row until the runner freezes and gets picked even though I pressed the button to dive back or I throw my controller at something. Seriously, 2 or 3 throw overs, fine, but close to 10 in a row is just fucking ridiculous.

  15. #6875
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,732
    BG Level
    7

    To further this Beltran nonsense, this is what the club had to say:

    "We thought we had cooperation from their side," Ricco said. "And to find out afterward that ... the surgery occurred, that's where we're most upset."

    Ricco said the club had told Boras "very directly we don't want [Beltran] to have surgery until" the club had an opportunity to "digest" the information it had been given.

    Boras could not be reached for comment on Thursday. And Ricco said, as far as he knew, neither the agent nor Beltran had explained to the club why the surgery had been performed.

    The Associated Press reported that Beltran had not obtained written consent from the Mets to undergo the surgery and that Boras said the guarantee language in Beltran's contract requires advance written permission only for elective surgery.

    "This was necessary surgery, necessary surgery to work," Boras told The AP.

    The Mets could claim the surgery was elective.

    In their statement Wednesday, the Mets identified Dr. Richard Steadman, who performed the surgery, as Beltran's personal physician and noted that the player had "elected" to have the surgery. Ricco declined Thursday to characterize the surgery as "elective" or "necessary."

    The AP reported that Boras said Steadman, who performed the surgery, had spoken with Altchek on Monday and Tuesday after Beltran had been examined. It said Steadman obtained Altchek's consent for the surgery and that Altchek isn't authorized to give consent because he is not a club official.

    "Dr. Steadman has represented to us that he spoke with the Mets' physician, and he received consent to go forward with the plan and the surgery," Boras said. "Dr. Steadman has told us that his office contacted the Mets' trainer and obtained the appropriate insurance forms and received approval for payment to go ahead with the surgery."

    "We told the agent for the player that we wanted to have the ability to discuss the diagnosis and possibly have a third option because ... of the nature of this injury," Ricco said. "We wanted to have the opportunity to digest the information, the diagnosis, and unfortunately, we were never afforded the opportunity to do that."

    The club announced late Wednesday that Beltran had undergone the procedure that had been recommended by Steadman. The prognosis is that Beltran will be able to resume baseball activities in early April, after Opening Day. Ricco declined to estimate when Beltran might be ready to play. But May 1 seems to be a best-case scenario.

    Ricco said Beltran had the club's permission to be examined by Steadman, a knee specialist in Denver. Steadman had provided a second opinion on the knee June 30. Ricco expressed no dissatisfaction with Steadman or Beltran and expressed hope that the surgery "will alleviate the symptoms that have prevented him from playing."

    Ricco noted the surgery had eliminated some inflammation, removed some cartilage and trimmed off some bone spurs. He also said Beltran is not considered a candidate for microsurgery.

    Ricco explained that Beltran had been pain free through November, but that pain developed when the player "ramped up" for Spring Training conditioning. Altchek was notified, and Beltran's knee was examined via MRI on Dec. 10. Beltran was urged to ease off on his workouts.
    According to what I heard today the Mets have filed a grievance against Beltran and Boras and plan to exercise whatever legal options they have concerning the wording of Beltran's contract. Now, Boras is not a stupid man, but to not allow the club to get a third opinion and maybe pursue a different type of remedy for the knee is very stupid. Granted Beltran's body is his and no one can tell him what to do, the club didn't say he couldn't relieve the pain in his knee. The way it seems is that the club wanted to pursue another remedy to solving his knee issue without surgery.

    My personal opinion is that this should have been done right after the end of the season. All indications were that Steadman gave his diagnosis in early June and the club hadn't gotten their third opinion yet.

  16. #6876
    Cerberus
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    413
    BG Level
    4

    I wouldn't use the Met's medical people either, they are horrible

  17. #6877
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,732
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Orph View Post
    I wouldn't use the Met's medical people either, they are horrible
    That's not even the issue. They diagnosed the problem with this second doctor and yet they are just now getting around to it? The staff entirely though is retarded. They gave this doctor the appropriate insurance forms and yet no one knew about the surgery? I'm so confused by this whole shit.

  18. #6878
    Soa
    Soa is offline
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,889
    BG Level
    6

    From what I've read about the Beltran fiasco, it seems that the whole thing was cleared with the Mets, and last second (too late) they decided they wanted a 3rd opinion. I've also read that 3rd opinions are almost unheard of in the MLB, especially when the two leading knee specialists in the country recommend immediate surgery.

    I don't know why the Mets are even trying to pursue action against Beltran, even if they somehow win damages they've already lost the PR battle.

  19. #6879
    Black Belt
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,930
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4837939

    Looks like the Mariners are going to be holding on to Felix Hernandez for the next 5 years.

    I have to say, I really like what they are doing this offseason.

  20. #6880
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    580
    BG Level
    5

    Yeah, Z has really shown that he is already one of the best GMs in baseball even though he's only been in office for a couple years.

    and, possibly big:


Page 344 of 352 FirstFirst ... 294 334 342 343 344 345 346 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1451
    Last Post: 2012-03-23, 10:33
  2. Replies: 4567
    Last Post: 2011-11-01, 11:00
  3. Replies: 1020
    Last Post: 2011-04-09, 10:47
  4. 2010 MLB Season Discussion
    By Cephius in forum Sports
    Replies: 8309
    Last Post: 2010-11-16, 20:47
  5. MLB '08 Season Discussion
    By Doombard in forum Sports
    Replies: 1420
    Last Post: 2009-01-08, 16:58
  6. 2008 MLB season
    By pohibaba in forum Sports
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 2008-04-08, 18:25
  7. 2008 MLB Season
    By Lordcaim in forum Sports
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 2008-03-05, 08:25