Item Search
     
BG-Wiki Search
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 113

Thread: RDM Group 2 Merits.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #81
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,053
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

    You don't need to be evasion tanking a mob for Blind to have a positive influence on the situation.
    Actually, in quite some situations, you do.

  2. #82
    Failed Sex Ed
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,391
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinryuu View Post
    Actually, in quite some situations, you do.
    This is correct, pld isn't going to evade an hnm more than minimum % anyway. Blind or no blind. I guess your thf could benefit from having blind on it, so I guess you don't have to be @_@!!!! Though virtually you do @_@;

  3. #83
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,793
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Raineer View Post
    I actually wasn't arguing for Blind II, per se. I was just stating the obvious, in a vacuum, Blind II > Blind I > Nothing. That's really isn't a debate you can even argue >_>
    You don't need to be evasion tanking a mob for Blind to have a positive influence on the situation.

    Now, lets have more posts about Para 2 from people I can trust... lol
    In a Vaccum, -31 mp < -5 mp < 0 mp.

    I should clearly use this to draw the conclusion that Nothing > Blind I > Blind II.

    No, I'm not being serious, but comparing "in a vacuum" is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, unless you are actually fighting a Vacuum Monster inside of said Vacuum, and are trying to optimize to beat it.

  4. #84
    Physicist
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,492
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

    Quote Originally Posted by FailureMidgard View Post
    In a Vaccum, -31 mp < -5 mp < 0 mp.

    I should clearly use this to draw the conclusion that Nothing > Blind I > Blind II.

    No, I'm not being serious, but comparing "in a vacuum" is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, unless you are actually fighting a Vacuum Monster inside of said Vacuum, and are trying to optimize to beat it.
    Let me know when you choose a 4 INT ring with -31 mp over a 4 INT ring with 0 mp and we'll talk.

    Jesus christ you people can derail anything, Blind II is below the bottom of all RDM T2 merits and we all agree on that. It doesn't mean the spell shouldn't exist, there are SITUATIONS (oh christ look out) where it works and would actually be extremely beneficial.

    If you don't like it, don't merit it. Logic is hard.

    Since no one else has posted in the thread about Para II except "yeah it's like totally better" then I'll assume it's not worth it either.

  5. #85
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,793
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Raineer View Post
    Let me know when you choose a 4 INT ring with -31 mp over a 4 INT ring with 0 mp and we'll talk.

    Jesus christ you people can derail anything, Blind II is below the bottom of all RDM T2 merits and we all agree on that. It doesn't mean the spell shouldn't exist, there are SITUATIONS (oh christ look out) where it works and would actually be extremely beneficial.

    If you don't like it, don't merit it. Logic is hard.

    Since no one else has posted in the thread about Para II except "yeah it's like totally better" then I'll assume it's not worth it either.
    31mp is the cost of blind2. 5mp is the cost of blind. 0 is the cost of not casting one.

    Hey wait, so you agree that 0 mp is better than -31 mp in a vacuum? That means it's always better outside the vacuum too, right? As in, there is never a situation to cast blind or blind2.

    Look, I agree its situational, you're the one that came here and made the "blind is better than no blind in a vacuum, therefor blind is always worth casting". Well, if the mob is capped on accuracy before and after blind, then the blind does -nothing-. In fact, in a very large # of situations, blind gives you 0% avoidance. Please tell me how in your vacuum the 0% avoidance of blind and the 0% avoidance of blind2 compare.

    Blind is situational, highly situational, as in, when someone is trying to and/or has a chance to avoid something. It is not always better than no blind, I'm sorry to say, because blind costs mp and has a cast time.

  6. #86
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,053
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

  7. #87
    BG Content
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    22,441
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries
    1

    HNM RDM: 5/5 Slow II, 5/5 Paralyze II
    Salvage RDM: 3/5 Slow II, 5/5 Phalanx II, 2/5 Dia III
    Solo RDM: 5/5 Bio III, 5/5 Slow II
    RDM who duos Charby with THFs and NINs a lot: 5/5 Slow II, 5/5 Blind II

    So what you merit depends on what you want to do. Every spell got worked in. If you're a hardcore HNM tank party RDM, then you should probably also have 5/5 Phalanx 2. If your LS does a lot of zergs, then at least one of your RDMs should have Dia III. This (and doing a ton of Salvage) is why I chose to merit like the Salvage RDM.

    On the Slow vs. Paralyze shit:
    If your Slow II potency is the difference between your tank being able to regularly get Ichi up and not, then Slow is more valuable than Paralyze because it will save you a ton of MP over time. If your tank can get Ichi up regardless, then it becomes a question of what will reduce the number of attack rounds the monster gets more. Whichever reduces them more will let your tank spend more time building hate and waste less time casting Utsusemi.

  8. #88
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,590
    BG Level
    7

    I didn't know that among all categories of rdm, there was the category of those that duo charby with thf

  9. #89
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,674
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    I didn't know that among all categories of rdm, there was the category of those that duo charby with thf
    this is quite possibly the first time i've ever agreed with pchan

  10. #90
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,053
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

    When I ding RDM75 on my dualbox whore I'mma give it 5/5 ice, 5/5 convert, 4/5 Slow II, 2/5 Dia II, and 4/5 Bio III, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong but 4/5 Bio III means the effect lasts just as long as Poison II? Quite handy for lazymode soloing.

  11. #91
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,674
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinryuu View Post
    When I ding RDM75 on my dualbox whore I'mma give it 5/5 ice, 5/5 convert, 4/5 Slow II, 2/5 Dia II, and 4/5 Bio III, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong but 4/5 Bio III means the effect lasts just as long as Poison II? Quite handy for lazymode soloing.
    5/5 the bio and drop one off slow or dia, if you're getting bio anyway it's ehhh to not cap it since it's free duration for the same mp cost
    also, go on msn more =[

  12. #92
    Pseudo-Elitist
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,503
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

    Bio III is really worth putting 5 merits into? >.>

  13. #93
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,053
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

    Hi Ath <3

    Throny I'm on MSN nao.

  14. #94
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,453
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Fallaci Isalie
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

    Quote Originally Posted by Athas View Post
    Bio III is really worth putting 5 merits into? >.>
    ... If you solo a lot. Pretty sure this statement has been said multiple times on every page of this thread.

  15. #95
    Pseudo-Elitist
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,503
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

    Well now it has.

  16. #96
    Fake Numbers
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    78
    BG Level
    2

    It's pretty clear that it's situational and it all depends on what role you play in your ls events or even what kind of event your ls do most of the time. I have a friend who did 5 slow 2 + 5 para 2 and did just fine main heal in SSR, or another friend who did 5 phalanx 2 + 1 slow 2 + 1 para 2 and did just fine being the only rdm in certain HNM events... yet people keep arguing about it. ;P Can also simply talk to other RDMs in the shell and try to merit different things so your ls has everything covered!

    Personally though, I did

    5 Slow II
    3 Para II
    1 Dia III
    1 Phalanx II

    For Dia III, I love it! I never run out of MP in merit party, can go on an hour+ w/o converting. It's also nice in nyzul, salvage on high defense mobs.

    For Phalanx II, I don't get to go as RDM for salvage that often really. I'm also helping a friend cap parrying skills after that I might change to 2 Dia III instead.

    I can see Bio III being useful on old-styled Kirin kite ;x, and uh if you need the enf sea cape and have no friend to help you can actually solo the DRK Aern with just Bio III lv 5 DOT zone > Repeat (The two north rooms). The level 5 Bio III actually guarantees that it will still stick by the time you zone out and in.


    Besides, Dia III I don't think it's worth doing just 1 level on any of the tier 2 merits. So, to sum it up, you can simply pick 2-3 of these options:

    - Do 5 Slow II period.

    - Do 1 or 2 Dia III if you merit as RDM a lot.

    - Do 3-5 Para II, if all you care is HNM.

    - Do 3-5 Bio III if you really really solo a lot.

    - Do 3-5 Phalanx II if all you do is salvage.


  17. #97
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,825
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    Quote Originally Posted by Natara View Post
    I can see Bio III being useful on old-styled Kirin kite ;x, and uh if you need the enf sea cape and have no friend to help you can actually solo the DRK Aern with just Bio III lv 5 DOT zone > Repeat (The two north rooms). The level 5 Bio III actually guarantees that it will still stick by the time you zone out and in.
    Much, much easier to just kite Ix'DRK.. he's easy as hell to run away from.

    Bio III 5/5 is useful for speeding things up solo, that's it really. It's never needed to zone Ix'DRK though, just seems like a lot of hassle and a chance of it being stolen.

  18. #98
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,187
    BG Level
    7

    Sounds like he might be reffering to Ix'Drg and using the teleporter between the 2 North rooms.

  19. #99
    Fake Numbers
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    78
    BG Level
    2

    No I did mean Ix' DRK. I know it's easier and better to kite if you have someone takes the adds away for you. I've duo'd him a few time by kiting and tossing hate. Bio III is really for solo though since you can't get rid of his Qns solo + the gharh + the pot on the way to the kiting room.

  20. #100
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,488
    BG Level
    6

    I'm curious to know why most RDMs put more than a merit in Slow II.
    It might be just me but why spend more merits into a spell that gets minimal improvements (magic accuracy on Slow II should be RDMs' last concern unless you fight Cerb and Khim a lot; the Slow potency gained is nowhere as close as the improvement level 1 Slow II has over Slow I) over spells that noticiably improve the more you merit (mainly Bio III and Phalanx II).
    The difference between level 1 and capped Slow II is something like 3% potency cap right? It was posted somewhere a while ago.

    Other than Blind II which is demeed the worst of T2 merits, RDM has so many good options that "wasting" half of the 10 upgrades they get on a single spell seems less proficient in the long run.
    Besides what's the point of saying "Salvage RDM, HNM RDM" and so on?
    Those who have said job leveled really play it only in specific scenarios and for nothing else? Seems weird to me.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. RNG Group 2 Merits
    By Shadida in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 2007-04-10, 09:04
  2. PUP Group 1 Merits
    By Khamsin in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2007-04-09, 20:32
  3. BLM Merit Group 2.
    By SephYuyX in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 2007-04-06, 19:35
  4. SMN Group 2 Merits???
    By Halcyon in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 2007-04-06, 12:39
  5. Rdm Merit Spells.
    By Neosutra in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 2007-04-03, 10:37
  6. BLM / RDM magic merit advice
    By Alastaire in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 2007-02-09, 10:58
  7. RDM Group 1 merits
    By Metah in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 141
    Last Post: 2007-01-27, 23:08
  8. Group 1 THF merit decisions
    By ach in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2006-12-25, 21:37
  9. BLM Merit: Group 2
    By Tengaar in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 2006-07-27, 00:16