Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: Step-parenting 101     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #61
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,597
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Gurubashi

    In my honest opinion, with today's economy, I'd just suck it up, or ignore her.

    The fact that you're getting a free room, and have to pay no rent, and you're over 18 seems like a good enough reason to just ignore it. You said you can't really move out and live on your own because of the economy, so the only advice I can give you is to suck it up.

    You can be in FAR WORSE situations then dealing with a step-mother. From what I've read, none of the examples you provided are that bad. Shit could be worse bro, just suck it up for now.

  2. #62
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    58,917
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    Also invest in a mini fridge and store your food in there. Also invest in a heavy duty padlock for said fridge.
    This, and stay out of her way, and especially tell your girlfriend (who has even less right to say shit regardless as to how people treat her in your house) to stay out of her way. Don't socialize with her, don't hang out in common areas with her, squirrel up in your room with your girlfriend like a good gamer and wait it out until you can move out again.

    Don't get into political arguments with her, don't try to win McCain sign battles with her, just treat everything she does with a very particular "I don't give a fuck" attitude. Who cares? Fuck her, stay away. Deal with her as little as humanly possible.

    If you can't manage this, you deserve whatever drama you get.

  3. #63
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    18,369
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

    I don't do the family thing. Neither does my wife.

    Parents are human just like you and me. Regardless of popping me, you, or Shue out of a vagina, they're just like anybody else. As far as I'm concerned my parents chose to have me. This means that up until I turned 18 it was their responsibility to make sure I at least didn't get rickets or some shit. You don't owe them shit up until that point.

    I've lived on my own or with my wife since I was 16. I haven't talked to my father since I was 14 and my relationship with my mother is closer to that of a casual older friend than of a parent. My wife has zero relationship with her family whatsoever. If you don't like people, tell them to fuck off and don't deal with them. Nobody needs parents in their lives any more than they need any other person.

    In before ungrateful asshole because, well, if they had aborted me, miscarried, or put me up for adoption do you think it'd matter two shits to me? No. I'd either be dead or wouldn't have had to put up with the shit I put up with. Just different shit.

    tl;dr don't expect any more from parents than you would from the creepy dude down the street once you're 18. They are responsible for you up to that point. If they want to help you out that's pretty cool. If they want to use you as a means of cheap labor and keep you guilt-ridden and depressed then tell them to fuck off. Either way, move the fuck out or start being appreciative.

    If you want to make it work, you will. Your life will suck for a while, and who knows, maybe moving out early will be a direct cause for your life sucking forever, your girlfriend killing herself, and somebody raping you anally with a bat. Or you might just have a better life. Who fucking knows.

  4. #64
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,751
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Trollbane

    Sath, you inspire assholes everywhere.

  5. #65
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,053
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

    I came to the states for, you know, opportunity.
    Lulz.

    What's with the whole 18 years old = GTFO mentality? Some people will be ready to move out at 16. Most people won't even be at like 20. There's no golden age to move out. As for the OP, ignore your stepmother, and hang out at your girlfriend's more.

  6. #66
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,954
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinryuu View Post
    Lulz.

    What's with the whole 18 years old = GTFO mentality? Some people will be ready to move out at 16. Most people won't even be at like 20. There's no golden age to move out. As for the OP, ignore your stepmother, and hang out at your girlfriend's more.
    I don't know what it is about the Buffalo area, but I know alot of people in their mid to late twenties that still live with their folks and their parents are pleased that they are still there. It's messed up.

    The day I graduated from college my parents told me that they were moving to Florida and that I was on my own. lol

  7. #67
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,304
    BG Level
    6

    You live in their house - at the end of the day, they hold the power and you either deal with it (and that includes taking the time to actually speak to them occasionally) and grit your teeth while you work out a strategy to get yourself out of there - or you get out now. Once you're out on your own the balance of the relationship changes and you get taken more seriously - but acting like a belligerent teenager is going to make them want to treat you like one.

    I'm speaking as someone who has a pretty messed up relationship with my mother who can be incredibly controlling and difficult to deal with, and who really really resented her new husband coming in doing all the "respect my authority I am thy step father" shit at the age of 19 or whenever it was they got married - moving out, getting set up on my own means that when they DO cross the line I don't have to grin and bear it - I can stand up and challenge it, and it's taken a good few years but now I'm actually probably closer to my parents than I ever have been (we've always had quite a distant relationship - even when I lived with them while doing the whole uni shit).

  8. #68
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,751
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Trollbane

    Theres no real set age for when you should leave the house. I mean the government can say that your parents don't own you at a particular age but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't take care of you either. All I know is, I could never throw my own flesh and blood into the street (unless they were a total worthless piece of shit.)

  9. #69
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,528
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

    Quote Originally Posted by Norelco View Post
    I don't know what it is about the Buffalo area, but I know alot of people in their mid to late twenties that still live with their folks and their parents are pleased that they are still there. It's messed up.

    The day I graduated from college my parents told me that they were moving to Florida and that I was on my own. lol
    The average apartment rent costs are moderately high compared to the average income level for the area. It's probably mostly that.

  10. #70
    BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34,959
    BG Level
    10

    So my father and I talked last night and he understands where I'm coming from and why we feel the way we feel. I told him pretty much what you guys told me.

    Except he told me that moving out before I get my degree might be a big mistake, etc, etc, because of the economy, etc, etc.

    All in all, we worked it out between each other (well, we are father and son) but when he went to go talk to the stepmother all she did was pitch a fit and start yelling at him when he was trying to explain why my girlfriend isn't justified in her behavior and why she feels as if her feelings were hurt.

    A quote: "Her feelings are hurt? What about my feelings? What about me? Don't I matter?"

    At the same time, I was talking with my girlfriend and telling her to try and control her temper for me, and of course she got mad because she feels it's fruitless to get along with a stepmother who isn't going to change anyway (in the meantime that we're talking, I'm hearing my father argue). So uh, things are tense between us right now because I asked her to just keep my feelings into consideration... and she swears the next time she gets angry she's going to say something.

    Women.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Similar Threads

  1. Counter to the asians stepping on kittens.
    By SephYuyX in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 2006-07-29, 09:56
  2. Parental Advice
    By 6souls in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2006-03-09, 16:47
  3. Step Aside Leeroy
    By BRP in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2006-01-13, 05:59
  4. Newest edition of Parents Magizine!!! must read!!!
    By Meggido in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2005-11-04, 22:37