Well no shit a good RPG is better than a shitty one, I hope that's not what he was saying because that's borderline retarded to point out.
Well no shit a good RPG is better than a shitty one, I hope that's not what he was saying because that's borderline retarded to point out.
This message is hidden because Charismatic is on your ignore list.
Missed a decent post that time actually.
I also wish that when people quoted him I couldn't see it either.
Nobody gives a shit, you don't have to post that you ignored him every time you see one of his posts. Even when you try to ignore him you can't stop riding his dick.
Wah Wah Waaaah
Those are crying onomatopoeias, not losing ones.
Spoiler: show
Alright niggas here is how it is. We will talk about Fallout 3. (Really any would work though, Fallout 3 may or may not be worse than usual based on your opinion)
In Fallout 3 there is probably over 30 side-quests and like a hundred locations to explore. That's a lot of hours especially if you play it twice for the bullshit karma system. (Probably not a hundred, doing just one full playthrough only costed me like 30)
Now when you complete a major side-quest you should be changing the world just a little bit. But you are not changing the whole world in Fallout 3, you are only messing with the characters and their immediate location. Rarely if ever do these sidequests ever interact and if they do it seems the designers were so damn impressed with themselves that it was sufficient just as an occasional gimmick. No matter how disastrous or heroic your efforts everything you do is a nonevent besides MAYBE a new set of NPC voice lines. This is very visible when you actually nuke a fucking town and it remains a nonevent. All flash, no substance.
The problem is that people are thinking in straight rays instead of a web(with a karma system added just to say "SOMETHING HAPPENED, NO, REALLY". The more connections and results available the deeper the game will be in the RPG spectrum. More ways to effect the environment, the more traits your character can have. All of these games out now, no matter entertaining for their battle systems or exploration lack any holding in that spectrum. We are playing scripts(stories) rather than even getting ready to mess with our probability space(role playing). Making such detailed web of events and possibilities will take a lot of man hours, sacrificing the ability to make an outright longer game.
So imagine a Fallout 3 where there are only 4-6 major side quests(and less locations). Each time you complete a side-quest every other side quest is going to be slightly or radically different. The effect on the main track should be huge. Maybe going as far as to switch enemies with allies and introduce whole new factions into play. Now each quest becomes 2-3 times more complex and more choices within a quest will only multiply that even further.
Now would this be a successful at being entertaining? I mean it is only 10 hours long! Yes it would be. For the same reason great Fighting Games can be played for decades. If there is a lot to learn and a lot of complexity/depth (intelligent) people will remain interested. The 10 hour duration would be beneficial here: less fat, easier to replay.
You see all games are at the bottom of being a RPG. A 1 out of a 100 scale. The difference between a game like Halo and Fallout 3 is that Fallout might be a 2. Deus Ex would be like a 3 or even a 4(and it is amazing for it.) Just like every game is also a Strategy and Action game at some level.
Retarded to point out if I didn't live in a world of retards. Gaming media. The developer houses. EVERYWHERE.Well no shit a good RPG is better than a shitty one, I hope that's not what he was saying because that's borderline retarded to point out.
omg I finally decided to read an BRP post and now I realize we're all retarded and I think he's on to somethin' here.
duh
This is why I proclaimed him king of Gaming section.