This game is surprisingly awesome. At least the demo was.
This game is surprisingly awesome. At least the demo was.
You can find old playboy pictures hidden in the demo.
Downloading demo now, should be awesome.
Back from playing the demo... I liked it alot.
I like that it only takes a only few shots to die, you can die really fast but the guys also go down quickly. Fortunately the cover system and controls are very fluid, so it works well.
But the best thing is the style, this game has so much style, the voice acting and dialog is awesome, it's dark but also humorous, feels like I'm watching a godfather movie.
I played it on PC, I heard people say the console version has shitty frame rates and screen tearing.
Looks like the PS3 version got the shaft again à la Red Dead.
http://i37.tinypic.com/2zjc8br.jpg
Hopefully it still runs smooth for both, although I've also heard it has some issues.
Edit: LOL at mirror comparison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzkIhgp27r8
It seems the devs did a bit of 'give and take' with regards to the 360/PS3 ports.
Honestly though, that looks nowhere near as bad as RDR did on the PS3 because they at least kept the same resolution foilage of what's left in Mafia2, rather than dropping that along with the density.
(it looked so damn patchy in RDR....)
Here's another example of differences.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...1515210729.jpg
360 version also seems to suffer from the ugly dithered shadows like GTA4 had.
[EDIT] Oh sure, edit in the mirror thing right after I post an image of the same situation.
On another note, I wish Sony would encourage devs to use that MLAA technique in their PS3 ports that we've seen used in The Sabotuer and God of War 3 (and the upcoming LBP2), rather than them using that piece of shit quincunx which removes texture detail.
Really need to pick up a GTX 460. The console versions are embarrassing, the PS3 version even more so with the lack of grass. Both console versions have sprite trees and bushes too... haha. I don't think even the exclusive DLC with PS3 version can persuade me, maybe once it drops to bargain bin price.
@Kaisha: MLAA implementation was only just added in the latest version of EDGE tools just last month for third parties, apparently. Hopefully see it in third party games now because quincunx is disgusting.
Developers aren't experienced with consoles that's for sure. Took some time for them to port the original one for consoles, probably because of the "come on man there's money out there" pressure on them.
Yeah, sadly doubt my laptop will be able to run it well enough.
Where-abouts do you read up on that kind of info? Good to hear it is in, I just hope they fixed some of the shortcomings and limitations it had, such as issues with red/brown colours, and edges that are a pixel or less in resolution.
No kidding. I've only seen it used decently in Just Cause 2 because the devs were selective of its implementation, and (from what I'm seeing) shut it off during cinematics to not rape the texture detail on character close-ups which is where quincunx typically beats them with an ugly stick.Hopefully see it in third party games now because quincunx is disgusting.
Granted RE5 didn't suffer that badly from it, but a lot of that did have to do with the game having insane detail levels as well as motion-blur to hide faults. (and shitty framerate >.> )
Problem with the original was that it was designed for PCs of a higher spec than PS2/Xbox, so they had to make a lot of visual sacrifices to get it to work, and that's ignoring the fucking insanely long load times on the PS2 release. Mafia1 on PS2 was comparable to May Payne2 on PS2 in terms of 'things that shouldn't have been ported from PC'.
This time around though, aside from RAM limitations on the PS3, everything is on a more even grounds, and thought about how they were going to design the engine to accommodate all three platforms, with PC given the obvious edge for people with the hardware to take advantage of it.
Speaking of which, what's with all the PC games making use of PhysX lately? Is nVidia paying off devs to do it or something, as I only ever see it used for eye-candy and nothing more. For non-nVidia owners, PhysX's software implementation is fucking atrocious and takes even quad-core PCs to its knees. They would have been better off licensing Havoc if they wanted to bother with that without the card bias.
Love my consoles and all.. but PC > everything
Just got done playing the demo and I'm very iffy on this. I remember when the first one came out, but I never paid it much attention as I've always been a GTA fan and I thought the first one garnered mostly negative reviews. After reading this thread and all the press around this one I got excited to try the demo but a few things left a sour taste in my mouth. First is the control scheme was absolutely horrid on the PS3. I played GTA4 on the 360, so maybe playing the demo on that would have offered a better comparison, but I found myself constantly hitting the wrong buttons trying to do other things (pressing X and going into cover when I wanted it to run for example). I don't think it's something that couldn't be overcome with some time, but I felt like I was just fumbling my way through the demo more than anything. Second, I don't really care for how quickly you die when the check point system seems rather spacious as to when it will click. I mean the first checkpoint from when the mission starts at the gun is the elevator, and while it's not really that far, when I'm struggling to get the controls down, it can be rather frustrating to go through all the easy shit just to race back to the part I died at.
I kind of was hoping the demo would blow me away as the collector's edition seems to have a lot of really cool stuff in it that I would like to have if I ever picked up the game, but unfortunately it did not.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/mafia
88% metacritic, 9.1 user rating.
PS2 version got shitty reviews though.
You fault the game because you hit the wrong button? A real control issue is unresponsive/lagged controls, or difficulty aiming, things like that, you hitting the wrong button is just you.
On the PC version I did not like having to use CTRL-L for cover, so I just bound it to another key, otherwise it controlled as well as any other 3rd person shooter. There's no different control schemes in the options for PS3 version?
As for death, I died at the part when the dude gets shot in the leg and you have to escort him out, but that happened because I rushed in and there was guys hiding behind those barrels. I went in slowly the second time and stayed in cover, when you get close enough to the bad guys you can actually see their icons on the radar without "agroing" them, that pretty much tells you exactly where they are, a wall may be covering your view but you can see in the radar that there's someone behind the wall so it makes it a little TOO easy actually, I'll be playing in higher difficulty for sure when it hits retail.
PS2 version is what I was referring to. Up until the last year the only PC gaming I've done is FFXI and some Dark Forces and Myst+Riven stuff back in the mid 90's and that's it.
As for the controls, I felt they were horrid as I'm very accustomed to the way GTA's controls have been and for the most part stayed the same over the years. Maybe saying that the controls were bad was a poor choice of words, but I found the layout foreign and uncomfortable in comparison. I didn't think by any means that this game would be simply a GTA clone, but I figured the control scheme would be very similar; which when that turned out negative, it left a sour taste that I didn't feel as in control as I felt I should be.
I went into the control layout at the start expecting an utter abortion - to my surprise the key mapping was almost exactly what I use in other games. Criticising a game because you didn't like a key layout that's obviously going to be fully customisable is pretty uh... shallow?
Tried the demo on PS3. Way too much jaggies booo![]()
Just finished replaying the original - soooo gooooood.
( Storyline+ending is really top notch ).
Definitive Edition Rated in South Korea & Taiwan
https://www.dualshockers.com/mafia-2...edition-rated/
Definitive Edition - Remake - May 19th
Spoiler: showMafia II: Definitive Edition includes main game and all downloadable content releases.
Part two of the Mafia crime saga—1940s to 50s Empire Bay, New York.
Remastered in stunning HD detail, live the life of a gangster during the Golden-era of organized crime. War hero Vito Scaletta becomes entangled with the mob in hopes of paying his father’s debts. Alongside his buddy Joe, Vito works to prove himself, climbing the family ladder with crimes of larger reward, status and consequence.
Key Features
• Golden Era Drama – Inspired by iconic mafia dramas, be immersed in the allure and impossible escape of life as a wise guy in the Mafia.
• Empire Bay, New York – Post-World War II Empire Bay, New York, a city sprawling with opportunity and where organized crime thrives on the booming industries of post-war America.
• The Complete and Remastered Favorite – For the first-time ever experience the Mafia II crime drama all in one package and presented in stunning HD detail.
Own Mafia II: Definitive Edition to unlock Vito’s Leather Jacket and Car in both Mafia: Definitive Edition and Mafia III: Definitive Edition.