Holtz still says TCU if Texas doesn't get in
Holtz still says TCU if Texas doesn't get in
I think Cinncy would have a legit claim to the title game if they beat Pitt on Saturday and Texas loses. Would be kinda funny if Florida lost to Alabama and only fell to number 2...would be an epic shit storm. I'd actually like to see UF vs Texas most of all though...I am really curious to see how real TCU is though and half of me wants to see a big shake-up this year...the top 3 teams really haven't moved all year.
Lemme see... Cinncy would have notable wins over:
Rutgers, Oregon State, Fresno State, South Florida, UConn, West VA, and Pitt
TCU has notable wins over....
Clemson, Air Force(lol), BYU, Utah...
My big problem with TCU is that they have maybe 4 acceptable wins and they are wins over the suddenly "cool" teams of Utah and BYU, even though they have proven very little. Utah is a far cry from the team they had last year.
None of the teams listed for Cinci are even as good as Clemson except maybe Oregon State and maybe Pitt. Clemson and Utah are both right there behind BYU (although clearly not as good-- BYU beat both on the road).
A road win @BYU is pretty impressive. Factor in the dominating way they did it, especially the way their defense shut them down, and yeah. Unless Pitt is a lot better than they've show as of late, Cinci has nothing to compare even to that one game... and OSU losing cost them their potential conference champion win as well. TCU still might end up having a road win against the champ of a top 3 conference.
sif they won't be top 3 in the preseason
With Tebow, McCoy, and Bradford all gone I'd be shocked if next year's preseason wasn't 1. Bama 2. USC.
I don't see Bama being preseason #1, they lose some pretty important seniors on the defensive side of the ball if im not mistaken and for offense outside Ingram I dont think McElroy is "championship material" without some major help around him for protection...
And it looks like Kirby Smart is being looked at by UGA for the vacant defensive coordinator slot pretty hardcore...
All I want for Christmas is a Alabama/TCU National Title Game.
^ This
Bama will win this weekend. Tebow hasnt been nearly as impressive as last year, and with Dunlap gone will make things a bit easier... oh you silly Gators.
If they do squeeze by Bama and get to face UT then it will be Texas all the way IMO.
I'd love nothing more for christmas than to see Tebow get crushed in his last bowl game at Florida.. Tired of him.
It's sad to see the end of College Ball each year...
Florida's losing a 20 strong senior class with at least 2 national championships, including their qb, the linebacker that plays as their defensive qb, their big play wr, their slot wr, another lb, their best d lineman, and just for good measure their return guy. I can see them maybe getting the nod if Brantley looks good heading into the season, but we'll have to see.
Ohio State has a chance at it if they're able to win the Rose Bowl. Pryor didn't have a turnover between the Penn St. and Iowa games, which bodes well moving forward.
Obviously we can rule out the mid-majors, and the Big East/ACC teams from the possibility of a preseason #1.
Even if Nebraska beat Texas and won a big Fiesta Bowl against a TCU or whatever, I doubt they'd get a preseason #1 these days. Plus, they're losing at least 5 starters from a ridiculous defense, including what I'm not alone in considering the best player in cfb this year.
Texas is obviously not getting a #1 preseason ranking with no Colt.
I'm not sure who else would be a contender. LSU loses 4 or 5 starters on each side. Oregon and Miami are among the younger of the high end teams, but Miami loses most of its O-line, and Oregon most of its D-line. Neither of those really gets preseason #1 respect, either. GaTech is pretty young, and Nesbitt will most likely be back, so I'd expect them to get a preseason top 5ish, especially if they get a bcs win.
But yeah as of right now, looking forward, even though Bama loses a ton, I think the current level of faith in Saban is high enough that I just don't see who passes them up, at least not clearly.
you missed Charlie Strong possibly taking the head coaching job at Louisville! Florida's Offensive Coordinator.
Hometown pride and all that, but I don't see how U of O can beat Ohio.
WTF? lol you can't be serious about Clemson and the ACC...top three conference? lol, so I guess you have it SEC > Big 12 > ACC this year? Please, the ACC has been and continues to be one of the worst BCS conferences and Clemson has done absolutely nothing to deserve the rankings it continues to get even with their inability to win games. Did you miss the beat down South Carolina just put on them? Hell even lowly Georgia managed to take out GA Tech. I think TCU is legit, but there is no case to be made for their schedule being where it should be to have national title hopes. Idk why I bother, forgot you are the guy that has been ranking UF number 3 all year and actually talked about Weis being well liked by people and no one liking Bowden...
Defensive coordinator...i wish the o coordinator would be gone next year, the guy is god awful, one of the most underrated losses was Dan Mullen going to Miss State. So...it says you live in Gainesvillle, you one of the ACRs that hates the gators because they grew up around it their entire life?
Notre Dame likely to decline bowl invitation...
Im still not so sure, Smart is a UGA guy and he apparently had expressed interest in coming back here a few years ago. Damon Evans has basically said money isnt an issue for hiring the new coaches...so id be interested in how high Alabama is willing to go if UGA starts offering in the 500k + bonus ranges. (Willie Martinez salary was 320k for comparison. Smart makes 360k at alabama and 80k in bonuses right now).
I'm personally rather pissed about that. I don't care if it's a crappy game, but the seniors deserve to go out on a high note and get a chance to play one more time. Also, I've never been a fan of ending the season by basically tucking your tail between your legs.
Seriously fucking infuriating.
Also, put up Ohio State's final scores of recent bowl games. Oregon most certainly has a shot, as well as absolutely no pressure.