Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 134

Thread: 360 failure rate 54.2%     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #61
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    985
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

    Quote Originally Posted by Korietsu View Post
    Cant test bad solder.
    Yes you can.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk View Post
    His point is that the polled aren't a good sampling.

    Even if all the failure poll results are true, you have to take into account that the people who had them fail are going to be much more vocal than the ones who haven't had a problem. 54% seems much too high.

    That being said, I got a 360 around H3 release and it's been fine, I keep it elevated and make sure the vents can work properly (most people sit it on the vents which is just stupid and explains a lot of the failures). All of my friends have had theirs fail at some point though, but they use them a ton and I suspect the overuse and poor ventilation were to blame more than a defect.

    lol@tags, 360 542% failure rate, holy shi-

    edit: It's also worth mentioning that for each 360 failure I've heard about, the person was able to get the entire console replaced by Microsoft for free, we joked among my group of friends about how Microsoft's customer service was so great, because it really was. Even down to headsets and controllers, when those broke, all it took was a call to Microsoft and you had a new one soon thereafter.
    "Did your 360 break? Y/N" Can't get much more vocal then that where polls are concerned. These numbers weren't gathered from ranters on a message board, it's a poll. You say yes, you say no or you don't take it. And if a system breaks down because you play it a lot that's a *major* problem with the system. I've played my PS2, PS1, Genesis, NES, Gameboy etc etc etc to death, as have many other gamers, yet those systems don't fail as much as the 360. It's not just mis-use or over-use, it's a fault in the console that people happily overlook for some inexplicable reason. Whether you love it or hate it, the fact remains that the 360 *does* have an abnormally high failure rate.

    P.S. Sony repairs consoles under warranty for free too, and takes the same amount of time. It's basic customer service that anything with a warranty will offer.

  2. #62
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,365
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

    I don't see how you can defend a failure rate that is officially over 30% and allegedly over 50%. That's not okay in any way even if they replace it.

    What about the next model? How many problems will it have so they can get it out 6 months or a year before Nintendo or Sony? You're right in saying it hasn't hurt sales and that's a major issue because I'm sure Microsoft sees it the same way. I'm honestly surprised that more people don't see this as a problem.

  3. #63
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,108
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

    While there's going to be some skewing in the results (e.g., people more likely to respond if they had a problem) that's no reason to write the whole thing off entirely. I'm sure the numbers there are inflated to a degree, but we don't really know how extreme that degree is.

    We can at least generalize from this that yes, the 360 most likely has a high failure rate, because even if the actual rate were half what the poll found, that's still obscenely, unacceptably high for any product, especially one that sells for hundreds of dollars.

  4. #64
    Ive sucked 27 dicks, in a row.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,569
    BG Level
    6

    Nobody's denying that there was/is a serious problem. Nobody. However, it's pure retardation to run around screaming "OMG XBOX HAS 55% FAILURE RATE" based on a deeply flawed poll like this.

  5. #65
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,365
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

    Quote Originally Posted by Zosi View Post
    Nobody's denying that there was/is a serious problem. Nobody. However, it's pure retardation to run around screaming "OMG XBOX HAS 55% FAILURE RATE" based on a deeply flawed poll like this.
    If you're going to say that a vocal minority has inflated the 360's numbers then wouldn't the same apply to the PS3 and Wii?

    Also, my opinion isn't only based on the poll. The official failure rate is over 30% for RRoD(as I stated above) and that only includes 360s sent in for repair so those who bought a new one before RRoD was under warranty are not included in the official numbers. As to how many consoles fail due to other problems I don't know.

    The poll also stated that Microsoft has the worst customer service when it comes to replacing a broken console(taking over a month to replace). I'm not saying the 360 is a bad system. It obviously has a lot going for it in sales and it has a good attachment rate(unlike the Wii).

    I just wish more gamers would speak with their wallet so MS would know that a high failure rate(over 20%) is unacceptable.

  6. #66
    The Wang
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,343
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Furt Wangler
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Well on the bad customer service part, my 360 RROD'd last Sunday. I called them, talked to an Indian who did a good job helping me. Printed a label offline, sent it via ups that monday. It got to their center in texas that friday. They repaired it Saturday, and created the shipping label sunday and sent it out yesterday. It's due to be back here friday with no charge to me. Seems like a pretty fast and efficient system. (assuming the console is fixed) I'm happy.

  7. #67
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,365
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

    Quote Originally Posted by Furtwangler View Post
    Well on the bad customer service part, my 360 RROD'd last Sunday. I called them, talked to an Indian who did a good job helping me. Printed a label offline, sent it via ups that monday. It got to their center in texas that friday. They repaired it Saturday, and created the shipping label sunday and sent it out yesterday. It's due to be back here friday with no charge to me. Seems like a pretty fast and efficient system. (assuming the console is fixed) I'm happy.
    Yeah the "over one month" reports are just from the poll. I don't know how many people actually had to wait that long.

    EDIT: Those people who had to wait a long time may have been in the first batch of people to get replacements.

  8. #68
    Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    51,506
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Zosi View Post
    I don't hate Sony, I just think that MS made a better product this generation.
    No.

    PS3's hardware completely humiliates a system that doesn't even bother with wifi, let alone one that still uses a disk-tray. Disregard games for a sec because then this will just turn into a fanboy shitfest but objectively speaking, the PS3 is a much better system hands down. I own all the systems by the way so I don't care to participate in poor people arguments on which system is teh bestest wit teh gamez.

  9. #69
    Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,075
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    Didn't Microsoft revamp the 360 so that the heat sink issues no longer happened on the newer models? (..)
    It's the same cat but with a messy fur.

  10. #70
    Ive sucked 27 dicks, in a row.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,569
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Hirokei Kiaza View Post
    No.

    PS3's hardware completely humiliates a system that doesn't even bother with wifi, let alone one that still uses a disk-tray. Disregard games for a sec because then this will just turn into a fanboy shitfest but objectively speaking, the PS3 is a much better system hands down. I own all the systems by the way so I don't care to participate in poor people arguments on which system is teh bestest wit teh gamez.
    I said better product, not hardware. The PS3's hardware is indeed quite a bit stronger, and until recently was also quite a bit more expensive - you didn't get things like wifi or your precious lack of a disc tray for free. The lower price is what makes it competitive as a product - not things like a slot drive or integrated wifi.

    Edit: By the way, there's no way you can disregard games - they're ultimately the *ONLY* thing that matters. Everything else (the fancy hardware, the online support, the SLOT DRIVE OMG) is there to serve the gaming experience, not the other way around. If you view consoles as just hardware and ignore the games, you're just viewing them as massively overengineered multimedia players - which might be your thing, but it isn't mine.

  11. #71
    Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    51,506
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Zosi View Post
    I said better product, not hardware. The PS3's hardware is indeed quite a bit stronger, and until recently was also quite a bit more expensive - you didn't get things like wifi or your precious lack of a disc tray for free. The lower price is what makes it competitive as a product - not things like a slot drive or integrated wifi.

    Edit: By the way, there's no way you can disregard games - they're ultimately the *ONLY* thing that matters. Everything else (the fancy hardware, the online support, the SLOT DRIVE OMG) is there to serve the gaming experience, not the other way around. If you view consoles as just hardware and ignore the games, you're just viewing them as massively overengineered multimedia players - which might be your thing, but it isn't mine.
    That's nice. Again, what do games have to do with a hardware system being poorly built to have such a ridiculously high failure rate? Maybe your confused on what this thread is about. Like I said, I couldn't care less what games you think is teh bestest for whatever system because that's all irrelevant. PS3 is better built then the 360, this is fact. Move on.

  12. #72
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,076
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Grizzly Hills

    My Halo edition 360 is apparently too lucky/ugly to RRoD on me, yay (famous last words). I haven't really been playing it that often though, at least not this year. I also never leave it plugged in if I'm not using it. An ounce of prevention and all that.

    I really hope that MS learns a lot about hardware building from Ninty and Sony this gen, because it's really not acceptable for this high of a failure rate. I'm certainly glad I wasn't an early adopter. My launch Wii and DSLite still work flawlessly and my phat Ps2 still works great too.

    They haven't been in the console business that long but this is the kind if thing that can hurt them quite a bit if they don't fix these issues by next gen.

  13. #73
    True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,740
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    Jeez 54%!1 lolxbox

    Quote Originally Posted by Sol-Blackguy View Post
    ... One thing I can say about Nintendo, is that their systems are usually the most reliable, sturdy, and efficient on the market for every generation. If they made good games Nintendo would probably be on top of the console wars. Maybe they'll get smart and merge with Microsoft in the future...
    Yeah, I just found out about a month ago that my original Gameboy (1989) died I played with it about once a month when I visited my bro's storage... R.I.P fat Gameboy.

  14. #74
    Ive sucked 27 dicks, in a row.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,569
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Hirokei Kiaza View Post
    That's nice. Again, what do games have to do with a hardware system being poorly built to have such a ridiculously high failure rate? Maybe your confused on what this thread is about. Like I said, I couldn't care less what games you think is teh bestest for whatever system because that's all irrelevant. PS3 is better built then the 360, this is fact. Move on.
    Look, you took one sentence of one of my posts completely out of context, misread it and flamed me over something I didn't say, and now you accuse me of being confused about what the thread is about? Sorry, go troll somewhere else, jackass.

  15. #75
    Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    17,291
    BG Level
    9

    Eh, not really surprised by this. Microsoft rushed the release of the 360 just so they could get their console on the market before Sony/Nintendo. I know all consoles are prone to flaws but it doesn't seem like Microsoft has done much to prevent theirs. Or the stuff they tried has been ineffective.

  16. #76
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    5,090
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

    I gave up on my xbox360 last year. I just can't fucking mess with repairs anymore.
    Bought a ps3 and happy with it.

  17. #77
    Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    17,291
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayareira View Post
    I gave up on my xbox360 last year. I just can't fucking mess with repairs anymore.
    Bought a ps3 and happy with it.
    This is what I'm going to do. The only issue I had w/ a console was my PS2s not being able to read CDs (And due to my panic I tried to clean them and ruined a few discs) because it was one of the first released.

    PS3 looks a lot more fun to than a 360. I'm not a fan of Halo or FPSs so I'm doubt I'm missing anything exclusive on the 360. Though Eternal Sonata looks interesting.

  18. #78
    Master of blackface Range Rover beer bottle throwing.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,454
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Zosi View Post
    Because it ignores TIME. Guess what? The lifetime failure rates of PS3s is 100% - over a long enough lifetime. The installed bases of Xboxes and PS3s aren't equally old, particularly in America where there was more than a year difference in release dates. Four year old consoles are more likely to fail than three year old consoles, particularly if they're from a generation that was known for design flaws.
    Really? Reeeally? I guess I am kind of silly for expecting consoles that I buy to last me more than 4 years. This really has nothing to do with it as I already said, all of those figures are lifetime failure rates, yes, the PS3 and Wii were released about a year later, but that makes up for the huge failure rate? And it was Microsoft's idea to push it out a year earlier to get a head start on install base. Maybe if they held a survey in 10 years time and used lifetime figures, this would hold weight.

    See previous comment about useless "lifetime failure rate", and add in that Jasper has been shipped to retailers for almost a year now. 360s actually sell fairly well, the odd old box sitting on the shelf doesn't invalidate the fact that Zephyrs don't make up something crazy like 75% of sold Xboxes nowadays. As for the PS3, the YLOD problem was pretty minor, it's not hard to believe the 10% number. The real number nowadays is probably lower - I'd guess around 5-6%. Similarly, your chances of getting a RRoD 360 off a retail shelf right now aren't 54% - I'd say 20-25% at absolute *maximum*, probably under 20% and going down. High, but not insane.
    This does not negate the fact that a lot of people are still being sold Falcon's from retail. For example, my nephew just bought a new Pro 60gb model from Dell a week or so ago, he received a Falcon.

    You don't want to say. There's a difference. There's no shortage of reasons to question the validity of the poll.
    No, I can't say because I don't know.

    Nice job completely missing the point. It doesn't really do Nintendo any good either - you'd have to be pretty silly to say that the Wii outsells the PS3 and Xbox for any reason that involves failure rates.
    "Having a lower failure rate doesn't seem to be doing Sony much good" I was pointing out how silly this sentence is. Obviously I wasn't being serious.

    You can resell everything except XBLA games at GameStop to buy shiny new PS3 accessories/games. Also, it's 3.8% that would NOT buy another 360, and most people who have RRoD problems don't *have* to buy another.
    Of course, but would get nothing near what they paid for them. And yeah, I missed a word in my sentence, I'm aware it is 3.8% that would not buy another. And as for most people don't *have* to buy another, not unless it is out of warranty, but in all honesty, you'd be suprised how little people even know about this shit, and there most definitely was and will still be people that go out and buy a new one even though it still falls in to the extended warranty.

  19. #79
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    5,090
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

    My Atari 800 XL still works, Commodre 64 still works, Amiga still works, SNES still works, PS1 still works, ps2 still works(eventhough I modified it a lot) and ps3 still works. X360 is the only console I've had retarded problems with.

    First, RROD'd in the warranty period even though I rarely used it. Well, shit happens....sent it to repair. A year after, it RROD'd again...got it repaired. 2 months later, it RROD'd yet again along with a CD/DVD tray problem. That's when I really said FUCK it.

    I use my ps3 much more than I ever used x360 and basically it never ever gave me any problem. I know at least 4-5 other people who've had problems with their x360's which is pathetic. 54% failure rate is unbelievably high...but seeing all this shit around, I'd say it sounds pretty accurate.

  20. #80
    Melee Summoner
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    48
    BG Level
    1

    That red ring thing sucks.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast