Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 224

Thread: Sonic the Hedgehog 4     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #61
    okay guy I guess
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    24,395
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiryo View Post
    Yeah but noone ever says "Why is Mario in a RPG?" or "Why is Megaman in a fake card game?" They only do it with Sonic.
    The issue here, I think, is that those examples were spinoffs, there were still new games in the main series, and/or sticking with and adapting the original formula. Sonic didn't do that, it wasn't Sonic and the black Knight AND a traditional sonic, it was just black knight. Idk if that makes sense, and it's just my opinion. Plus the Mario RPGs at least have all been between decent and great. Most of the sonic variations just haven't been that great, I mean replace sonic with another character and you have a meh game. Replace mario with another character and its still a fun RPG.

  2. #62
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,313
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    Heroes

  3. #63
    blax n gunz
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11,141
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiryo View Post
    Edit: And i dont understand why you quoted Sonic 2006 and asked why he's in a game like that o.O. Sonic had 2 adventure games before 2006 and no next-gen game is linear anymore like the original sonic. The only one that comes to mind for me are Wii games. The DS sonic games even have adventure sections. Mario games have story lines and cutscenes now, zelda does, I dont really think any new games have no story to it.
    I listed it because it's emblematic of the disease plaguing the Sonic franchise in broad strokes; It takes itself far, far too seriously. If you want we can compare it to the mario franchise but that's not even fair. Mario RPGs are silly and childish and funny, and they're never painted otherwise. Sonic 2006 is Eggman/Sephiroth menacing Some Princess over a universe-destroying power during a grand parade that Sonic just happens to be at by coincidence. The story gets worse from there. For some reason post-Dreamcast Sonic games seem compelled to introduce all these angsty characters (Shadow, Silver) with Darker and Grittier pasts that is really called for in a game where you blow up robots by jumping on their heads. There's a huge disconnect between how much I care about the story and how much they want me to care about the story. It just doesn't pan out by the end.

    The handheld sonics are a rare breed, they don't seem to have lost the charm of zooming about a ridiculous universe for to fight a ridiculous boss with ridiculous weapons at his disposal. That's the Mega Man formula and that's just fine by me. But every other console attempt just treats this design with contempt, thinking it needs to 'grow up' and deliver some kind of moral at the end of the game.

  4. #64
    Online Dating DOES Work!!
    Sonic Ripoff of the Houe of Weave

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,339
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Hiryo Randgris
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

    At least this time we get some very good posts detailing what people think is wrong about the latest games. I still can't excuse black knight, I can only say that you must consider it Wii Shovelware because if you played the game yoruself you would see why its so so so terrible of a game.

    Yeah 2006's love story was terrible you got me there too lol. But the gameplay when you get good at the game is also fantastic. So i guess that aspect is at least good lol

    And thanks, I can NEVER remember the name of sonic heroes. I should go out and buy it to be honest, i'm sure its, like, 10 bucks out in retail.

  5. #65
    Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    51,671
    BG Level
    10

    Sonic series is just one of those series that hasn't aged well. Nostalgia plays a major factor when thinking the series was any good besides some boss fights. Played Sonic 2 recently and besides the challenge of trying to get Super Sonic midway through the first act of the Chemical Plant, it was just hold down right to win any given stage.

  6. #66
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    19,023
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiryo View Post
    At least this time we get some very good posts detailing what people think is wrong about the latest games. I still can't excuse black knight, I can only say that you must consider it Wii Shovelware because if you played the game yoruself you would see why its so so so terrible of a game.

    Yeah 2006's love story was terrible you got me there too lol. But the gameplay when you get good at the game is also fantastic. So i guess that aspect is at least good lol

    And thanks, I can NEVER remember the name of sonic heroes. I should go out and buy it to be honest, i'm sure its, like, 10 bucks out in retail.
    No need to describe why each individual Sonic game is bad, because most of the time they suffer from the same problems.

  7. #67
    /lick
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,226
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiryo View Post
    tl;dr:
    For those who say all games were bad after XX sonic game, is there any reason why that is? And did you actually play the games that you think were bad?
    I haven't really played any since Sonic Adventure (tried a demo of Sonic Adventure 2, demo was fun, but Dreamcast was already kinda dying, and I was always more of a PC gamer to begin with).

    I can't say for sure, having not played them, whether the newer ones are good/bad/indifferent.

    I lost interest in Sonic games as they moved away from a focus on Sonic (and Knuckles, I've got a soft place in my heart for him), and added a lot of new gameplay mechanics just for the sake of doing so. Giving Sonic himself new tricks didn't really annoy me, since at least through SA/SA2Demo they didn't drastically alter how he played (lots of running, jumping, and spinning). It was really the adding of a lot of extraneous new characters you were suddenly supposed to give a damn about, just to introduce new mechanics that would be totally out of place for Sonic himself that killed it.

    What made the old 2D Genesis Sonic games fun was the speed, and the focus on being very consistent controlling Sonic at speed. They were not complex games by any stretch, but that was part of the charm.

    Oh, and Super Sonic was pretty bitchin'. He was ludicrously overpowered, but balanced out by ring availability on certain stretches of certain levels, and being so fast you could outrun yourself and wind up dead.

    The only friend they added who I think genuinely made the games better was Knuckles. Playing S&K+S2 or S&K+S3 with him was a lot of fun because the differences from Sonic made you approach levels completely differently. Low jump height was annoying as hell, climbing and gliding to get around obstacles was hella cool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hirokei Kiaza View Post
    Played Sonic 2 recently and besides the challenge of trying to get Super Sonic midway through the first act of the Chemical Plant, it was just hold down right to win any given stage.
    If you got all the checkpoints in order, and didn't lose any special stages, you could fight Robotnik in Emerald Hill as Super Sonic.

  8. #68
    Chram
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,567
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by AoE View Post
    I hope Sega brings back the Sonic 1 Special Zone out of spite.
    I can't decide whether Sonic 1 or Sonic 3's Special stage is the best. Both of them were so much fun.

    In response to all of this, I have some glimmer of hope with Project: Needlemouse. I enjoyed both Sonic Adventure's when they came out but beyond that, I haven't touched any other sonic game. I saw some of the Day-time gameplay of Sonic Unleashed and that looked like a step in the right direction (at least for 3-D Sonic.) As for Project: Needlemouse, I will continue to wait for more news to come out. Hopefully, it wont kill the small hope I have left.

  9. #69
    the whitest knight u' know
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    15,485
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    At the last second before release, it will be revealed that he's black and has a gun.

    Honestly though, I will believe it when I see it. They have been failing miserably for two decades straight, I have my doubts that Sega would get it right suddenly.

  10. #70
    okay guy I guess
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    24,395
    BG Level
    10

    http://kotaku.com/5463913/project-ne...ic-4-episode-i
    SEGA has announced Sonic 4: Episode I. It is, as GameSpot reports, a 2D downloadable game with 3D visuals.

    The announcement is part of the Project Needlemouse build up SEGA has been pushing since last September 2009. "Needlemouse" refers to Sonic's codename when the game that would become Sonic The Hedgehog was initially being pitched.

    While teasing this Project Needlemouse project, SEGA has stated that the game is a return to Sonic's 2D roots and that the blue hedgehog will be the only playable character.

    The game will pick up after Sonic & Knucles, but, as "Episode I" indicates, this is a new story arc.

    When asked if this means the title is episodic, associate brand manager Ken Balough told GameSpot: "As mentioned, I think the best way to view it is as a first part in a much larger adventure. When Sega released Sonic 3, ultimately it was the part 1 of a story that saw its conclusion in Sonic & Knuckles. In that same spirit, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is a bigger story, and this is that first chapter. I think it's also safe to say that by the end of the episode one, fans will be very excited to see what's in store for episode two!"

    So that's a "yes" to episodic Sonic?

    The game will feature traditional Sonic mechanics like spin dash, power sneakers and whatnot, but also an added "homing attack".

    Sonic 4: Episode I will be heading to the PSN, Xbox LIVE Arcade and WiiWare this summer. It's possible to use motion control with the Wii version and SIXAXIS controls with the PS3 version.
    teaser trailer at link

  11. #71
    Ridill Ninja Lotter
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,546
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

  12. #72
    okay guy I guess
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    24,395
    BG Level
    10

    yeah we get it, only the 12th time someone's been lolsoniccycle

  13. #73
    Ridill Ninja Lotter
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,546
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

    Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    yeah we get it, only the 12th time someone's been lolsoniccycle
    lol I'm seriously looking forward to it, but in my heart of hearts I know itll never be the same.

  14. #74
    okay guy I guess
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    24,395
    BG Level
    10

    perhaps not, but from everything so far, I expect this is the closest we will get

  15. #75
    Resident Moogle
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,219
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    "As mentioned, I think the best way to view it is as a first part in a much larger adventure. When Sega released Sonic 3, ultimately it was the part 1 of a story that saw its conclusion in Sonic & Knuckles. In that same spirit, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is a bigger story, and this is that first chapter. I think it's also safe to say that by the end of the episode one, fans will be very excited to see what's in store for episode two!"
    What a cop-out excuse. Main reason Sonic3 & Knuckles were two separate releases was due to time constraints, not because of story.

    Anyways, here's to hoping for at least 6 sets of zones for 'episode 1' at least. Anything less and I ain't bothering if they really are sticking to the roots of "Hold Right, sometimes jump to the left, then hold right some more".

    The whole episode thing seems like an excuse to not release a complete product, and instead test the waters with part of it to see how well it sells before they consider continuing it to milk more money out of us.


    Maybe I should stop being such a pessimist. >.>

  16. #76
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    708
    BG Level
    5
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

    Thought this was pretty funny/ relevant.
    http://kotaku.com/5463904/mario--son...-it-used-to-be

  17. #77

  18. #78
    Chram
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,567
    BG Level
    7

    Graphics look a little weird for a 360 game but i'm amazed that it looks like, well a Sonic game.

  19. #79
    okay guy I guess
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    24,395
    BG Level
    10

    this explains why it looks like it might actually be good
    http://kotaku.com/5473427/sega-not-developing-sonic-4
    Well, here's our first genuine surprise since the official reveal of Sega's Sonic 4: Sega, and its cherished Sonic Team studio, isn't developing the game.

    Instead, Osaka-based Dimps will be. Best known for their recent work on Street Fighter IV with Capcom, Dimps will also be known to Sonic fans as the developers behind games like Sonic Rush and Sonic Advance.

    Those titles are among the best Sonic games in recent memory, showing that while the blue hedgehog continued to blunder through ill-suited 3D environments, there was still life in the concept of a fast, 2D Sonic game.

    Meaning this is a rare example of smart thinking by Sega Japan, realising that if this game had any chance of success whatsoever, it was best to put it in the hands of somebody not only experienced at decent 2D Sonic games, but also did not have "Sonic Team" on their business cards.

  20. #80
    Resident Moogle
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,219
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Probably helps that all four stages on display have already been done in Sonic 2/Knuckles. ;/

    Although if that's all there is to Episode 1, I'm a hold out and wait until SEGA is done, at which point they'll probably release a compilation for cheaper.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast