Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 135

Thread: List your Top 10 Books!     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #101
    Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    19,830
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    You and Mizango need to form a debate forum just for shits and giggles. You guys could bring in a weekly troll like Vajra or someone.

  2. #102
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    604
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

    Quote Originally Posted by BrillCS View Post
    I like most sci-fi but I tend to steer more towards the fantasy settings by choice. I like almost anything written by Deborah Chester, Jim Butcher, R.A. Salvatore, and Dave Duncan.
    <3

    I read all of his books. Now I have to start looking up the ones he did under other names.

  3. #103
    assburgers
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    10,925
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by BrillCS View Post
    You and Mizango need to form a debate forum just for shits and giggles. You guys could bring in a weekly troll like Vajra or someone.
    They'd be boring between Miz and I unless we were allowed to crack racist jokes without offending anyone... oh and I bet we both got some fan-TASTIC ones...

  4. #104
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,144
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    Invisible Monsters - Chuck Palahniuk
    I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell - Tucker Max
    Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
    The Contortionist Handbook - Craig Clevenger
    World War Z - Max Brooks
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    Geek Love - Katherine Dunn
    Survivor - Chuck Palahniuk
    Collected Stories of Amy Hempel - Amy Hempel
    Watchmen - Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons

  5. #105
    Hydra
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    126
    BG Level
    3
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

    Quote Originally Posted by Dense View Post
    Cat's Cradle will become your favourite, in that case. He does that and more. Pokes good fun at all religion and science at the same time, and generally just lets his characters' flaws drive a completely ridiculous story (like always)...

    And you'd probably love Galapagos as well, even though I don't rate it with the rest of Vonnegut, it's still in that same style and feeling...
    Yea that sounds good, I'll have to check it out. There are a bunch of books I want to check out now b/c of this thread, should keep me busy for a while.

  6. #106
    aduidarnenye
    Guest

    I totally forgot Terry Pratchett. I love his books. The new Moist von Lipwig novels are the best. Unlike Piers Anthony's Xanthe series, the Discworld novels are still sharp and witty 30 years later.


    I really enjoyed the Harry Potter series. I avoided them at first too, thinking them to simply be overly-popular children's books. But when I started reading them I found that they're actually quite well written and the story is well thought out and creative. The characters are well-rounded and the plot is solid the entire series. If you can get past how popular they are (no "I liked Harry Potter before it was popular" people?) and the fact they're children's books, you'll enjoy the action and plot.


    I've read a lot of Greek and Roman literature. I enjoyed the Odyssey and, somewhat less, the Iliad. I also like stuff done by Plutarch and Livy. These stories are really good.

  7. #107
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,575
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

    1. I Am America And So Can You!

  8. #108
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,196
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

    Yea I need to get "I am America and So Can You"

  9. #109
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    821
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Quote Originally Posted by Dense View Post
    yay, a wyndham fan! Almost charted Triffids...
    Hells yeah! I haven't read him in a long time, though. I should get back into it. Have yet to finish Game of Thrones though :/

  10. #110
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    5,090
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

    Not gonna make a top 10, but I like Jack London. The Sea Wolf is my favorite.

  11. #111
    gonna save some hot babes and punch radiation in the mouth.
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,312
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Frostwolf

    Quote Originally Posted by BrillCS View Post
    Chico I just started reading the Alera series from Jim Butcher. I'm currently on Academ's Fury. Thoroughly enjoying them as well. I'm not really surprised because I like the Dresden novels as well.
    Awesome. Hope you enjoy it/them as much as myself and the other handful of Jim Butcher fans here :D

  12. #112
    Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    19,830
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Finished Academ's Fury last night. Now I just need to get the last two books. Pretty enjoyable read but I've come to the conclusion that I'm not a huge fan of Isana, Bernard, and Amara. I like Tavi and Kitai and they are reason enough to keep reading. Can't wait to go pick up the next ones.

  13. #113
    RIDE ARMOR
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    19
    BG Level
    1
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

    Quote Originally Posted by BrillCS View Post
    I think I'm one of the very few people who hate the Ender series. I think they are pure crap.
    I read Ender's Game and thought it was mediocre at best.
    It was super predictable.

    I like too many books to order.

    Brave New World
    Animal Farm
    The Road
    Redwall
    Neuromancer
    Do androids dream of robotic sheep?
    Tales from 1001 nights
    Monkey
    Lullaby/Survivor/Invisible Monsters/Haunted/Rant

    I'm sure there's a lot more... I just don't feel like listing them.

  14. #114
    RIDE ARMOR
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    19
    BG Level
    1
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

    Quote Originally Posted by SamanosukeShiva View Post
    1. I Am America And So Can You!
    And this.

  15. #115
    Sleep Deprived Galka BLM
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,183
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Odin

    In no particular order:
    Dresden Files series
    1984
    Great Gatsby
    100 years of solitude
    Fahrenheit 451
    American Gods, Neil Gaiman
    Watchmen
    The Road
    Dark Tower series

  16. #116
    We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,616
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

    Quote Originally Posted by BrillCS View Post
    Finished Academ's Fury last night. Now I just need to get the last two books. Pretty enjoyable read but I've come to the conclusion that I'm not a huge fan of Isana, Bernard, and Amara. I like Tavi and Kitai and they are reason enough to keep reading. Can't wait to go pick up the next ones.
    The Amara/Bernard bits get better, at least in my opinion. Tavi and Kitai are always the stars though.

    You're in for a treat with Cursor's Fury, it's where the series really hits it's stride.

  17. #117
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    623
    BG Level
    5
    FFXIV Character
    Mio Hime
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    I've only recently started reading (last year'ish, I'm 27) for some reason, I just never read before if it wasn't online. I picked up maybe a dozen books and got started.

    Ender's Game, Speaker of the Dead, Xenocide -- I enjoyed them all, but Xenocide near the end threw me off a bit, I have Children of the Mind but haven't read it yet.

    Song of Ice and Fire - I absolutely love this series, took up most of my time reading them.

    Jurassic Park - Excellent book.

    Foundation - I enjoyed this too, a bit different than what I was expecting. Haven't touched any of the others in the series, not sure if I should.

    Time Machine - Interesting because I had the movie pictured and it wasn't even close. Not great, but okay.

    War of the Worlds - Couldn't even get through this, had to give up on it.

    Catch-22 - While reading this I realized war books are not for me. Was boring and irritating to read, gave up after a couple chapters worth in.

    LOTR book 1, currently on book 2 - I had difficulty reading book 1, it was slow and he's just way too descriptive constantly constantly. I tend to forget what I'm reading about trying to pronounce the words in my head paragraph after paragraph. Towards the end it got more interesting. Book 2 however I'm really enjoying thus far, currently what I'm reading.

    The Princess Bride - just like the movie, interesting to know the real reason it and story behind it though ("the good parts").

    Got a few other books I gotta read, I think first book in Wheel of Time, and Wizard's First Rule which didn't capture me after a couple chapters so I'm not sure I'll pick it up again.

    I heart reading though.

  18. #118
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,196
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

    Last book I actually read was Heavier than Heaven. Makes it the second or third book I've read about Kurt Cobain.

  19. #119
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    586
    BG Level
    5
    FFXIV Character
    Dense Fever
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Quote Originally Posted by Matricide View Post
    Catch-22 - While reading this I realized war books are not for me. Was boring and irritating to read, gave up after a couple chapters worth in.
    It's not really a war book, tbf, even though it chronicles war and war-time events.

    You still may like war books, although they tend to be stiff and boring if you aren't into the specifics... Catch-22 was far from boring for me, though.

  20. #120
    gonna save some hot babes and punch radiation in the mouth.
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,312
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Frostwolf

    Quote Originally Posted by BrillCS View Post
    Finished Academ's Fury last night. Now I just need to get the last two books. Pretty enjoyable read but I've come to the conclusion that I'm not a huge fan of Isana, Bernard, and Amara. I like Tavi and Kitai and they are reason enough to keep reading. Can't wait to go pick up the next ones.
    Series could do without Amara. For a Cursor she seems pretty shit tier(yeah, she's fast but like, is that it? QQ) TavKit are always awesome on screen(books are movies in my head) Bernard is a pretty cool guy. he shoots arrows and doesnt afraid of anything. Isana is...whatever(in my mind she's played by demi moore).

    I'm having a bit of a hard time trying to find the fifth book in paperback. Though at the same time I kind of don't want to read it and the have to wait for the last book(Fuck you GRRM for making people wait for you shit, in fact fuck most of the bigger S.F. writers who make people wait years sometimes).

    Rabble rabble rabble

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast