Why are you so sure? They can beat anyone in the East and other than the Lakers I don't see anyone in the West who would pose a significant threat. With it looking like they will make a big trade for Stoudamire or Jamison that's only going to improve their chances.
I'm not 100% sure of course, but I don't see this team as any better than their previous teams, and those didn't win either.
Adding Amare' or Jamison just gives you a scorer who a) won't make the big shot and b) won't even pretend to play defense.
I say that as a diehard Wizards fan. Antawn Jamison is the worst defensive player in the last 20 years, bar none. It's absolutely fucking amazing how disinterested the guy is in guarding anyone. And in the East, he's going to have to end up matched up against Dwight Howard or Kevin Garnett or Josh Smith (or some other young, athletic Hawk). Yikes. Amare' ain't much better on that end.
That dunk over Frederick Weiss was fucking insane. I remember watching that shit on TV when it happened.
And McGrady might get a shot to play again. Buzz around here is the Knicks are trying to trade Larry Hughes and Jarred Jeffries for Tmac. Seems like a low risk trade for the Knicks, considering McGrady only has a year left on his contract I think.
They didn't win last year but they still got pretty damn close. I know Amare is a defensive liability, but I don't know anything about Jamison aside from his scoring/rebounding so I'll take your word for it. They have Lebron to take the big shot so that isn't a problem. If I'm the Cavs I'm still making a move because either of those guys should make a significant impact on the offensive end, and of course they are doing everything to get Lebron to stay.
The Magic look worse than last year, haven't seen the Celts play much but my Hawks seem to have their number and they haven't played well lately, and the Hawks really aren't much different from last year aside from Crawford. We still lack leadership and our offense is fucking dreadful to watch at the end of games, Joe Johnson/Crawford iso every time.
That actually seems like a good trade for both sides, considering how Houston doesn't even use Tmac and are struggling lately. And it would still give the Knicks a chance at lebron next year since Tmac's contract is expiring.
How exactly? What's amazing is that Amare still thinks he's a major superstar, when really.. he's not. He plays terrible defense and he's not a consistent, big time rebounder. He averages like 14-15 shots a game, and that'll only go down if he goes to the Cavs.
Sure I think he'd be a nice roleplayer, but do you think he'd want to really be a roleplayer? Steve Nash makes him look way better than he is.
I'd go after Jamison if I were the Cavs.
here's the thing though, Lebron basically runs point in the Cavs, and do Cavs fans think Lebron is a better point guard than Nash to bring the best out of Amare?
I like Amare and all, but a) hes already fucked his knees and so far has been an anomaly in his recovery, b) he could easilly leave next year when his contract is up (which would happen if Bron left) and c) as stated before his defense is horrible. Now don't get me wrong, he would be better on the Cavs than he is on the Suns because he will have the inside presence of Shaq drawing more attention that friggin Channing Frye. Also, he is one of if not the best big men off the pick and roll, which coupled with Bron could create some impossible matchups for other teams.
Antawn has a lot more energy, and for a guy his size gets a stupid amount of rebounds. I like his offensive game a lot, he can shoot from anywhere, and while not a force on defense hes better than Amare. His main injuries are shoulder related which often do not end careers. He is in the first year of a 4 year, 50mil contract, so you wouldn't have to worry about him leaving, but you still have to worry if his signing will be enough to keep Bron in town. It has been said before and I have to agree: if Bron wins this year, he'll stay, if not, he's gone.
Both Amare and Jameson would make the Cavs a lot better, in a division i think they are already the favorites. Boston is a probable injury away from being out of it and Orlando is a better matchup without Hedo. The Hawks are one of the most interesting teams that I think will surprise people in the playoffs. They basically have to worry about the Lakers. Period. (And I can't count out, although an unlikely situation, a healthy Spurs).
Amare has been overrated at times but calling him a role-player is a little ridiculous. He is still putting up 21-9 and while Nash helps everyone he plays with, if he could turn role-players into nightly 20-10 players the Suns would never lose. The Cavs have a DPOY in Lebron and a great help defender in Varejao to offset his bad defense. Jamison is old and according to Absolutely Virtue is awful defensively.
Here is a recent scouting report I found for Amare on ESPN.com
"Scouting report: One of the best finishers in the game on the pick-and-roll, Stoudemire dives hard to the rim and rarely needs to take a dribble before exploding toward the basket and either drawing a foul, dunking, or both. He combines that skill with a strong midrange jumper that makes him an effective spot-up player, and he owns a blazing quick first step to his right that burns defenders who cheat on his shot.
Stoudemire seldom drives left or posts up and isn't much of a passer -- he looks to score when he catches the ball. But he draws tons of fouls and shoots over 80 percent from the line, and he doesn't turn the ball over often despite all the forays to the rim. As a result, he's a great offensive weapon who scores as often and as efficiently as any big man in the league.
The other areas of his game aren't nearly as strong. Stoudemire defends better as a power forward than as a center, but he's never shown a great deal of inspiration at this end. Though his mobility is an asset in isolations, he's a weak help defender and will pick up lazy touch fouls. Playing at power forward reduces his exposure to physical play and puts less of a magnifying glass on his negligent help D. Although it reduces some of his advantage offensively, he seems more comfortable at this spot and he certainly fouls less. "
The story (at least in the Washington papers) is that LeBron is lobbying for Jamison because he's a pure 'spread 4.' What the means is that he drifts away from the basket and opens the floor up. And that's true, he's got a great mid-range game, and for his size he's got a respectable 3pt game- although imo opinion he shoots too many threes.
In that regard, he's just what the Cavs need. He opens it up inside for Shaq's post game, and more importanly LeBron's drives. I think Jamison will thrive in the Cavs offense, because he's probably the best pure offensive player LeBron has ever played with at any level. But he's 34, he's in the second year of a deal with two more years (and something like 25-30m) left on it, and he's honestly awful defensively. Now I appreciate that Amare' sucks on defense, but Jamison is next level suck. Take it from a Wizards' season ticket holder. The dude simply doesn't move his feet, ever. He's a fucking matador on defense. He will be exploited in the playoffs, mark my words.
I'll allow that some of this is sour grapes, because I'm a bitter Wizards fan. But don't be fooled by Jamison- he has put up good numbers on an awful team. He does rebound, but that's by default. Who else is going to rebound on the Wizards- Haywood gets ten, and that's pretty much it. He can drop 35 on you, but he can just as easily go 2-14.
Take a look at this. Earlier this year, Jamison had a +/- of -25 in a game the Wizards only lost by 12. Think about that for a second. In 30+ years of watching NBA basketball, I've never seen anything like it.
http://www.nba.com/games/20091229/OK...#nbaGIboxscore
Jeesh i didn't realize jameson was that old. 34 is no joke, though the type of player that he is, while porous on D, will limit his potential injuries and could turn him into a long term shooter who can play for another 4-5 years. Only problem will be a team inevitably overpaying for him at 36. He will be a Glen Rice with a weaker 3 and better rebouding numbers. I think at the end of this year, even the Cavs win, Lebron will jump at the opportunity to sign a 6-7 contract with another big name, like D.Wade or Bosh. If a team can put together 2 long term contracts with lebron and another star, he'll do it. Especially if its in Miami or NYC.
Either way, the Cavs with just Jameson or Amare without Bron are a 8th seed, unless they grab another free agent to fill the void.
Keep in mind that Jamison, Butler, AND Arenas were one of the worst teams in the Eastern Conference. That's with Brendan Haywood at center and Mike Miller coming off the bench. Get used to the lottery, Cavs fans.
And fuck you I'm 34, lol.
The radio here is reporting this deal is basically done:
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=4917644
This gives the Blazers the big man they lost when Oden & Przybilia went down. If Brandon Roy can get healthy (big if), this could have a pretty big impact on the western race. Or Brandon Roy could stay gimpy all year, and they could end up in the lottery.
Nice trade for the Blazers imo, Camby can still ball and doesn't look like they gave up much.
i was wondering whether Camby would be worried about the Blazers injury bug, then i remembered he just left the Clippers...
It really gave us exactly what we needed in Portland. I think with this addition and a healthy Roy we might be able to get past the first round if we don't play the Lakers. Plus, it doesn't really lock us (or the clippers) into anything big since contracts are expiring anyway.
Just got word that the Celtics have completed a deal for Nate Robinson. Looks like Eddie House and draft picks going to the Knicks.
Man the Celts are doomed for another decade if they don't win another title inside 2 or 3 years.