Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Also Firas
    BG Level

Re-installing FFXI again; from US to EU

ok im re-installing/downloading ffxi all over again..

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

1. will my configs/macros remain? im thinking no, i'll need to copy the files in to the new FFXI folder..

2. will i need to re-install windower too? since im re-installing ffxi in to another drive/folder, etc.?

3. i used to have US version (where all my configs are), now im installing EU, will that effect my settings/macros if i wanna move them from the old(ruined) ffxi to the new one?

thanks in advance; i fail at searching, or it was never mentioned

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

1: I would backup the macros to the server.
    Theoretically it should just work if you copy the profile folder over.

2: I dont think so. Just change the ffxi-version line in the config from NA to EU.

3: You can have EU and US version installed parallel. (I used to have NA and JP installed parallel).
    Somehow they are seen as separate games....
    If you look at the registry the two games use completly separate entries.

Also Firas
    BG Level

i re-installed the whole thing, updated and all.

but now when im on playonline, it says "Final Fantasy XI is not installed". I need to "tell" POL that the FFXI is there, right? now how do i do that? :D

i think this issue has been mentioned before, but i cant seem to find the thread.

thanks for the reply.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Execute > regedit > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > PlayonlineEU > InstallFolder, check the paths writtens here, modify as needed, if the key doesn't exist, create one called 0001 type REG_SZ and in data input the correct directory of your FFXI installation.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Firas View Post
    i re-installed the whole thing, updated and all.

but now when im on playonline, it says "Final Fantasy XI is not installed". I need to "tell" POL that the FFXI is there, right? now how do i do that? :D

i think this issue has been mentioned before, but i cant seem to find the thread.

thanks for the reply.
    When WotG came out, it broke my ability to have JP and NA versions installed and both working at the same time. Whichever I installed last would work fine, while the older install would return the error you got. I had to reinstall whenever I switched, so I ended up doing two Windows installs, one to boot to for JP FFXI and one to boot to for NA FFXI. Then I just went back to playing on PS2 because they also broke support for my graphics card with that expansion.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Why use the dual installs though; I'm using one ffxi install and a seperate US pol and EU pol and they both work fine using the same ffxi installation. Hence you will not loose your macros regardless of which PoL version you launch it with.
    I do use 2 seperate windower installs, which contain the same content except for the one config setting for EU<>US.

Just have to make sure your registry entries are correct and all the correct dlls are registered. (However the only time I ever had to toy with those is when I moved it to another pc). If pol sais ffxi is not installed when it is and you already checked your registry, I'm betting it is due to the dlls.

Registry wise check if your paths are set correctly for these:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PlayOnlineEU\InstallFo lder]
    "0002"="D:\\SquareEnix\\TetraMaster"
    "1000"="D:\\SquareEnix\\PlayOnlineViewer"
    "0001"="D:\\SquareEnix\\FINAL FANTASY XI\\"

and for the US pol:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PlayOnlineUS\InstallFo lder]
    "1000"="D:\\SquareEnix_us\\PlayOnlineViewer"
    "0002"="D:\\SquareEnix_us\\TetraMaster"
    "0001"="D:\\SquareEnix\\FINAL FANTASY XI\\"

Dll wise, check the following dlls, replacing the paths with your own ofcourse, so pol will know wether you have ffxi installed or not.
    regsvr32 "D:\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\FFXi.dll"
    regsvr32 "D:\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\FFXiMain.dll"
    regsvr32 "D:\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\FFXiResource.dll"
    regsvr32 "D:\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\FFXiVersions.dll"

Note: You can download any version of pol itself from the ffxi website.
    There is also a "trick" to get pol working by just copying its directory from another pc, apart from recreating the registry entries it also involves registering a whole bunch of dlls specific to playonline, but that's mostlikely not the problem here so I'll save you the spam.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dense Fever
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

BTW, a US character needs a US POL in order to adjust payment information and such. An EU character needs EU POL for account information and such. You can log in and play on either, but to do account related things (changing payment options, etc) you need the POL of the origin of the character (unless they've changed that recently).

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dense View Post
    BTW, a US character needs a US POL in order to adjust payment information and such. An EU character needs EU POL for account information and such. You can log in and play on either, but to do account related things (changing payment options, etc) you need the POL of the origin of the character (unless they've changed that recently).
    I have this problem using the EU version of the game with a US POL account (and now US SE account also). I found the best way to deal with this is to have a virtual machine (there are many free vm host softwares now, vmware/microsoft/zen etc) and just install the US POL on this to keep it totally separate (need to install Windows as well into the vm). I do all my account things there (including ordering the new expansion packs).