Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Net Capable Blu-Ray Players?

Alright ... I picked up a ps3 for Christmas and put it up in the main room of my house. I live with myself and my roommate. My roommate is not a gamer in anyway but has become quite attached to the ps3 because of its ability to stream Netflix as well as video files from our network.

That being said, I want my ps3 back but would like to get a blu-ray player that has those capabilities.

1) Is there a Blu-Ray player that can do Netflix AND stream off a media server?

2) If so what model would you all suggest?

3) Remember I am looking at something that would be around 100-200 range since any higher I basically would be better off just buying a second ps3.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by niwaar View Post
    AND stream off a media server?
    I don't think one exists.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by guartz View Post
    I don't think one exists.
    Guartz is right..better off tell your roommate to get a PS3.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

This is a little bit out of the price range but the Samsung BDP-4600 is on sale for $233 on newegg (can't post a link quite yet) and it does netflix and pc streaming. Just based on the reviews however it seems like setting it up isn't worth the hassle in comparison to how easy the ps3 does streaming. Can't really give any specifics about the player itself since I don't know too much about it but that seems like your best bet right now barring another ps3 purchase.

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Thanks much, was really hoping there was another option for the streaming part. Its been extremely useful to stream stuff out there for them to watch. Vuze hasn't seen so much use in my house for a very long time.

Oh well, will have to think about if it is worth wild to spend the extra 300+ on a ps3 for the roommate or just go with a Blu-Ray with netflix.

Speaking of which, anyone have any suggestions on a netflix/wifi capable blu-ray player just so I can make an educated decision?

Relic Shield
    BG Level

LG BD390. Plays pretty much all of the popular formats. I got one for $200, but they typically run around $260-300.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I know it's over your budget, but the popcorn hour stuff comes to mind:

http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinesto...nfo&item_id=12

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

IMO, just get another PS3. I picked up a Sony BDPN460 for my brothers as a Christmas gift - it's a fine player, but the Netflix component is definitely a notch down from the PS3. Uses the older "set up a streaming queue on your PC" setup versus the actual browsing of things to stream that the PS3 has.
    Other players may have different support, but I suspect that system is probably typical. If you know a PS3 does things how you want, then it's probably worth just going with that.

I'd also suggest maybe considering putting together a PC for your living room. It'd likely cost a bit more, unless you have one you can use already, but it's definitely the most flexible solution. You could either put a Blu-ray drive in the PC, or just get whatever cheaper player you want to supplement it.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    I'd also suggest maybe considering putting together a PC for your living room. It'd likely cost a bit more, unless you have one you can use already, but it's definitely the most flexible solution. You could either put a Blu-ray drive in the PC, or just get whatever cheaper player you want to supplement it.
    Now, the AsRock ION 330 comes to mind. Dual core Atom + NVidia ION in a neat small case.

http://www.asrock.com/nettop/spec/ION%20330.asp

Resident furfag
    BG Level

Just buy another PS3. At $299 new, and $200 used it's by far the best deal, and still is the fastest, highest quality Blu ray player among consumer level players.