Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 85

Thread: 5th generation pokemon     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #21
    BG Staff
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    27,188
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Quote Originally Posted by bebeci View Post
    Let me know if the 5th generation game doesn't require me to fight 100 zubats and geodudes in a cave.
    http://i49.tinypic.com/n49ox0.png

  2. #22
    BRP
    BRP is offline
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    15,019
    BG Level
    9

    Pokemon has nothing to gain from becoming a MMO. Well nothing to gain other than MORE grinding, of course. It would just shit up the games. Why is it that people get this odd equation that EVERYTHING IS BETTER WITH MMOS? You'd think a MMO forum full of bitter players would understand most often the exact opposite is true.

    Since when was Gold and Silver longer than the other games? Is it because it has an nearly empty replica of the Kanto region? So much nostalgia bullshit going on there.

  3. #23
    Melee Summoner
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    48
    BG Level
    1
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    Just basically echoing what your manager was so excited about...
    My friend is really into this stuff and still trains pokemon to battle over Wifi and take on the tower tycoon.

    Basically what everyone was excited about were the ability Individual Values(IVs) and Effort Values(EVs) associated with this generation. The IVs of each pokemon differ and some are going to be better than others, so you can basically find the best pokemon IV wise.

    After you find that pokemon you can EV train it by fighting certain pokemon to raise the base stats like speed and special attack etc etc. There is a whole community devoted to this and thats why it was such a hit.

    tl;dr EVs and IVs allow for maximum customization and power.

    sorry for wall o'text

  4. #24
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    798
    BG Level
    5

    I would probably quit life for a Pokemon MMO.

  5. #25
    Blue Magic is Best Magic
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8,215
    BG Level
    8

    A 3d Pokemon MMO would be amazing! I think that instead of level ups they should have skill progression tree's. If you have level up it would get very bland once everyone is at 100. Skill progression tree's you can keep the pokemon you like and customize them anyway you want. There should be some sort of system in place however that would make you want to catch newer ones as well to try them out. I think it would be a blast though.

  6. #26
    Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,841
    BG Level
    8

    Gen 1 had its stupid pokemon, but they didn't make an Exeggcute movie. Lucario is pretty much the rock bottom of pokemon, even those stupid copy+pastes of Mew every generation gets are more interesting.

    Speaking of which, they need to chill out on the legendaries. Gen 1 had 5/151, Gen 4 had 14/107.

  7. #27
    i'm awesome.
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    9,218
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Davricle View Post
    I would probably quit life for a Pokemon MMO.
    ^

  8. #28
    I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    17,539
    BG Level
    9

    Ash isn't black, we need to see his fuckin dad already.

  9. #29
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,933
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Serefina Solfyre
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Quote Originally Posted by BRP View Post
    Since when was Gold and Silver longer than the other games? Is it because it has an nearly empty replica of the Kanto region? So much nostalgia bullshit going on there.
    Simply because it provided more challenge after the "end" of the game, unlike the others where it is quite hollow after that point. Two worlds are also a lot more indepth (though Kanto wasn't fleshed out as well as Johto, it was still fairly well done) - the nostalgia of it was pretty great too.

    When I said Pokemon MMO~style, I mean they could have the same system they have now. Just be able to interact with people outside of Pokemon Centre trades/battles etc, so you actually have a (larger hopefully) living world with lots of people actually out catching stuff, battling each other anywhere and everywhere etc.

    Though a 3D version etc would be nice too...

  10. #30
    Hyperion Cross
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    8,915
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

    The nature, gameplay and style of pokemon is just literally begging for a MMO (PvP, RPG elements, exploration).

    I too am in the same boat, would like to see one!

    I'd play, and CATCH THEM ALL.

  11. #31
    It's sooo veiny
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,327
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Arch Dizzle
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    Everybody in this thread who is arguing over which Pokemon generation is best.

    ^ All ya'll niggas is gay.




    Spoiler: show
    Real Talk.

  12. #32
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,224
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by deft View Post
    All those reasons are exactly why G/S/C is the best. Pearl/Diamond is just about as short as the other two short ones. I don't know why they introduced that awesome idea of having a second island and then never really did it again. I like the idea of having a second tier of gym leaders and elite four. Hell, I wouldn't mind if they had three tiers of each going up to level 90. It's kind of bogus that in most of the games the max trainer pkmn's level is around 65-70.

    This. I'd like to see a Pokemon series that covers all the areas, with the Elite Four being in the 80+ range, and the Champion in the 90+ range.

    Fighting Red in G/S/C was the kind of end battle I expected from Pokemon- I actually have more fun with the single-player mode than going out and fighting the max-statted team of the month club vs. other players.

  13. #33
    BRP
    BRP is offline
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    15,019
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
    The nature, gameplay and style of pokemon is just literally begging for a MMO (PvP, RPG elements, exploration).

    I too am in the same boat, would like to see one!

    I'd play, and CATCH THEM ALL.
    Ah yes, turn based squad combat fits right in with the typical MMORPG mold. It is not like you can apply almost anything to do a MMO format.

    Catch them all! - only now it will take you over 2 years, investments with RMT, and even more event restricted pokemon.

    No longer are you the lone pokemon master of the world, now everyone becomes serfs working to grind credits and experience points in a world they can never make a difference in! Just imagine the possibilities of a Pokemon game with the competitive application of World of Warcraft! The community of a gamefaqs forum or a cramped Korean apartment building, now in your face, stealing your pokemon! JOIN US ONLINE... NOW! It will be like Gold and Silver, just like you remember it! There will be ice cream trucks, saturday morning cartoons(the good ones! not the ones they play now!), and no pubic hair! Only 15 dollars a month!

    EDIT: And if that is not enough for you: wait for our Zelda MMO! Just like Ocarina of Time("THE BEST VIDEOGAME EVER MADE" - 13 year old autistic, year 2000) with more side-quests and more walking!

  14. #34
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,224
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeryhn View Post
    This, times a million.

    Pokemon MMO would be freaking awesome.
    IMHO, this is the real dream. Set up the world, add more towns for starting/gyms than the original in each island and start holding events.

    It'd sell like crack cocaine.

  15. #35
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,106
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Thulius Deorum
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Quote Originally Posted by BRP View Post
    Catch them all! - only now it will take you over 2 years, investments with RMT, and even more event restricted pokemon.
    I'm not seeing the difference here.

  16. #36
    LD
    LD is offline
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,045
    BG Level
    7

    Barely the 2nd page and there's a load of crap I agree and disagree with here.

    I could forgive the slow digimonization of pokemon over the years and as long as the game play is fun, that's all that matters. My issue has always been the tier system that goes on at the high end. Back in the day, I used to play on one of the various systems that emulated the battle system. You'd input stats (perfect ones that would take months to get in game) and make a team. Obviously, I sucked. One of the main reasons I sucked was because I refused to stop using stuff like Typhlosion and other favorites of mine. What's the point of picking out pokemon you like if half of them are worthless in competition? Besides roleplaying as Ash, that's part of why people want a poke MMO: a lvling system that makes the diversity more than cosmetic. Sure, a lot of the pokemon are competition tier, but it boils down to the old MMO problem of needing only one archetype for each 'role'. Honestly, that's why people can see a connection between Poke & MMOs. Pokemon boil down to collections of stats and abilities that define their use in battle and biggest selling point is pitting them against other real people. It's like a brightly colored Warhammer.

    As far as the turn-based thing goes. Phantasy Star was turn based, iirc. The FF series was turn-based for the most part and then they changed it. What people expect from a Pokemon MMO varies from person to person, but the point is it could be done.

    Personally, if they ever reboot the pokemon game (MMO or otherwise), I'd hope they'd go the manga's route and make shit a bit more hardcore. Blood, pokemon dying, maybe attacking trainers, make the whole thing more visceral, brutal, and mature. People imaging togepi being horribly killed might scoff, but the concept already exists in (an) official canon.

    As far as gen 5 goes, it'll be like every other pokemon. Fun, addictive, maddening nerd bait. Each generation basically streamlines the last. The basic mechanics always get better even as the monsters get more ridiculous. If you still like the peries, I doubt you'll be disappointing. If it lost you or never had you, big deal. The games aren't made to be great for everyone (though every designers obviously wishes they could do that.)



    Oh Hell, I almost forgot. OP WHERE DID YOU GET THAT SIG!?!

  17. #37
    BRP
    BRP is offline
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    15,019
    BG Level
    9

    Personally, if they ever reboot the pokemon game (MMO or otherwise), I'd hope they'd go the manga's route and make shit a bit more hardcore. Blood, pokemon dying, maybe attacking trainers, make the whole thing more visceral, brutal, and mature. People imaging togepi being horribly killed might scoff, but the concept already exists in (an) official canon.
    THIS AINT YOUR LITTLE BROTHER'S POKEMON GAME!! FUCK YEAHHHHHH!!!!

  18. #38
    LD
    LD is offline
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,045
    BG Level
    7

    Tell me you didn't get tired of the cloying sweetness of the series even when you were young enough to swallow it, BRP.

    To be fair, I AM a WH40k fan, but I'm not saying pokemon should go GRIMDARK just yet.

  19. #39
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,933
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Serefina Solfyre
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Oh no, those evil Team Rocket villains might... make me faint!

  20. #40
    LD
    LD is offline
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,045
    BG Level
    7

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast