Page 47 of 416 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 97 ... LastLast
Results 921 to 940 of 8310
  1. #921
    Soa
    Soa is offline
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,889
    BG Level
    6

    We resent them because they were nowhere to be found a few years ago. When the Nats first came back, we'd see a few hundred Phils fans at RFK. Win a World Series, and suddenly everyone who ever stepped foot in PA, NJ, or DE is suddenly a diehard. It's like the Red Sox phenomenon all over again.
    I'm not gonna deny it, there are a ton of bandwagoners right now. I think it has more to do with CBP opening and the Eagles choking every year than the World Series in 2008.

    The Vet was an absolute shit hole that even I hated going to, which is probably why attendance was always so low there. The Bank has damn near sold out every game since it opened several years before the WS title. The Phillies have also had winning seasons 9 of the last 10 years, so its not like they the suddenly got good.

    Maybe you should resent your ownership instead for selling 15k group sale tickets to Philly fans instead of the fans themselves. You can also tell them to stop advertising the games on Philly sports radio too if you don't want your park invaded. Hell their owner personally interviewed on WIP and invited Philly fans to come down to see the games last year.

    But anyway I know whats its like to have my park invaded by visiting fans (Mets, Red Sox) and I feel for you. Why there was such massive QQ and national media exposure about this one particular instance I don't know. The stands were empty last night so it was just an opening day thing it seems.

  2. #922
    Pandemonium
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,839
    BG Level
    8
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

    Quote Originally Posted by Penthesilea View Post
    And nothing I said there was wrong either. He's still a shitty pitcher.
    That's kind of a stretch, he's not any good but "shitty" seems overly harsh. His ERA has been league average the last 3 years, he's good for 200 innings pretty much every year and *shudder* wins double digit games every year. 2006 was the only year you can point to and say he was anything close to "shitty". Other than that he's been a pretty serviceable major league starter.

    Well saying the only reason a guy can hit is because pitchers throw bad pitches is a tad insulting (and completely wrong considering the numbers he puts up). The part about holes in his swing is true, but its also true for all hitters. He also has to deal with that ridiculous shift too, but it is his own fault for not being able to hit pitches the other way consistently.

    I found the part about how he watches all this tape on Howard, yet failed to realize that the pitch he threw was right in one of his "holes" (outside part of the plate), pretty funny. Sounds like he was just frustrated about his outing, which is understandable.
    I don't think hitters would even argue that all they do is hit mistakes. Very few guys can take a good pitch and hit it. They're the exception, not the rule, imo. Every good hitter I've heard speak will tell you they look for the one mistake pitch that is usually thrown in each at bat. If they take it or miss it, 9 times out of 10 they're gonna make an out.

    Howard is a low-average, high strikeout, high home run hitter. He's a classic example of a mistake hitter, and clearly one of the best in the game. Again, I don't think anything Marquis said was meant to be insulting, he was telling it like it is. He threw a terrible pitch, and Howard did what he does better than most hitters, smacked it about 500 feet.

  3. #923
    Un-Rad Conrad
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,019
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

    I'll admit that I didn't used to follow the Phillies more than a fleeting interest before 2007 or so, but since then I've immersed myself in the game and I'll be following them forever now. Eagles were the same way for me. I didn't care about sports until recently, but once I did I was hooked and am trying not to appear or become a bandwagoner by learning as much as possible.

    Having said that, I'm planning to go to a Nats or Pirates game this year at some point.

  4. #924
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    992
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Quote Originally Posted by Soa View Post
    I'm not gonna deny it, there are a ton of bandwagoners right now. I think it has more to do with CBP opening and the Eagles choking every year than the World Series in 2008.
    I agree the park probably helps, even though I haven't actually seen it. But the Phils did finish 9th in attendance in the NL the second year it was open ('05).

    And believe me man, we're infinitely more upset with the ownership than we are with Philly fans. I don't fault them at all for wanting to see their team. But the cursing and the booing and the general Philly assholery that passes for fandom in that town does get tiring. Again, this is nothing against real Philly fans. I'm sure you know what I mean.

    What is so bad about this story is the timing. The Nats sold those tickets to Philly organizations for opening day BEFORE they went on sale to the general public. That means that Nats fans never even had a chance to get them before they were gone. And not just general Nats fans, but season ticket holders, too. One of the perks of being a season ticket holder (you probably know this) is that you can buy additional tickets to games before everyone else. But the Nats actually sold thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of tickets to Philly and locked the locals out. Once the remaining tickets were put on sale to the general public they sold out in seven minutes. Thousands of Nats fans couldn't get a ticket because they went to Philly first. And to make matters even worse, many of the brokers in Philly have gone on record to say the Nats contacted them IN DECEMBER about buying tickets, months before they went on sale to the general public in February. This is why we're so mad.

    The Nats don't draw well in DC because we suck. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. But opening day always sells out, I know because I have been to every single one of them. Nobody would have had a problem if the tickets went on sale and the Nats appealed to Philly in March because the game hadn't sold out yet. I mean, that's embarrassing, but that's business. What sucks is that those tickets the Philly fans had would definitely have been purchased by Nats fans, and we never had a chance to buy them. We got fucked by our owners, plain and simple.

  5. #925
    Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    28,593
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

    So a little late on posting this due to bs at work, but got my fantasy baseball team set. Probably one of my more balanced teams in recent years, what do you guys think.

    C: Kurt Suzuki
    1B: Michael Cuddyer
    2B: Aaron Hill
    3B: Evan Longoria
    SS: Jason Bartlett
    OF: Jason Upton
    OF: Torii Hunter
    OF: Shin-Soo Choo
    Util: Jorge Cantu
    Bnx4: Aaron Rowand, Bengie Molina, Alexi Ramirez, Martin Prado.

    SPx6: Zach Duke, Randy Wolf, Jonathan SAnchez, Scott Feldman, Justin Verlander, CC Sabathia.
    RPx3: Brian Wilson, Francisco Rodriguez, David Aardsma

  6. #926
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,284
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    I kinda hate a lot of Phillies fans knowing that they weren't watching when the team was bad, ha. I liked deciding on a whim to go to opening day. But I wouldn't trade the team's success for that. I'd hate the Phillies if I were the Nationals. Maybe it will make for more heated, motivated, baseball.

  7. #927
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,939
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Trichocyst View Post
    I kinda hate a lot of Phillies fans knowing that they weren't watching when the team was bad, ha. I liked deciding on a whim to go to opening day. But I wouldn't trade the team's success for that. I'd hate the Phillies if I were the Nationals. Maybe it will make for more heated, motivated, baseball.
    We used to have a season ticket package behind home plate back at the Vet, so while I was a braves/phils fan since I can even remember, I always went to Phils games.

    Since they got rid of the Braves off TBS I haven't followed them one bit.

  8. #928
    Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,320
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

    Hrm. I'm on Brighthouse Cable..and for some reason, I'm getting the MLB "Pay-per-view" games for free right now.. maybe just because it's the start of the season?

  9. #929
    Death by snoo snoo
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    22,117
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

    Reds walk off

  10. #930
    Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,320
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

    I saw that on the 'on demand' bit. Nice blast.

  11. #931
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,485
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

    Second day in a row with no Atl game on SS or FS.

    Last night they aired college hockey and tonight it's poker. I want my TBS Braves back.

  12. #932
    Kyo
    Kyo is offline
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    14,853
    BG Level
    9
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

    They're going to be on sportssouth tomorrow, and yeah I miss it when TBS aired EVERY braves game.

  13. #933
    Death by snoo snoo
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    22,117
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

    Fuck that shit, I need my Raymond.

  14. #934
    Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,320
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

    Quote Originally Posted by Alderaan View Post
    Second day in a row with no Atl game on SS or FS.

    Last night they aired college hockey and tonight it's poker. I want my TBS Braves back.
    It'll be on MLB-N tonight, or PTV (Peachtree TV)

  15. #935
    Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,320
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

    Oh nice. Earnie Johnson is back doing Braves stuff (the main guy on PTV with Joe Simpson and John Smoltz)

    Really weird seeing Smoltz in the booth one night, Glavine on another. Needs more Maddux.

  16. #936
    Chram
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,702
    BG Level
    7

    Joe West (the crew chief of the umpires who recently called the Saux/Yanks series) came out today and called the teams a "disgrace to baseball" and mentioned that the players refused to help the crew shorten the length of their games. I hate those teams more than anything, to be honest, and I am inclined to agree with him.

    Link.

  17. #937
    Pandemonium
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,839
    BG Level
    8
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

    Quote Originally Posted by pohibaba View Post
    Joe West (the crew chief of the umpires who recently called the Saux/Yanks series) came out today and called the teams a "disgrace to baseball" and mentioned that the players refused to help the crew shorten the length of their games. I hate those teams more than anything, to be honest, and I am inclined to agree with him.

    Link.
    Yeah, fuck those teams who have players who take a lot of pitches and try to get the starters out of the game. Hernandez didn't grant time 3 times, like that would have sped up the game sooooo much.

    Give me a break. Joe West should work on getting his correct strike call percentage above 70 before he talks shit in the media.

  18. #938
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,485
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

    Braves offense seems to have completely disappeared. Hoping for some late inning heroics.

  19. #939
    Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,320
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

    Something Braves fans were used to last year. What, our pitcher went 5-6 innings, sometimes 7, and only gave up 1-2 runs? Easy win! Oh.. the Braves never scored? Oh..

  20. #940
    Viq
    Viq is offline
    Let's go Red Sox!
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,386
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post
    Yeah, fuck those teams who have players who take a lot of pitches and try to get the starters out of the game. Hernandez didn't grant time 3 times, like that would have sped up the game sooooo much.

    Give me a break. Joe West should work on getting his correct strike call percentage above 70 before he talks shit in the media.
    Seriously. Angel Hernandez fucking made the game longer in game two by never granting time. Batters would creep out of the box, catchers would come out of crouches, pitchers would end up backing off all without Hernandez moving a muscle. It caused confusion, a couple chats, and made the game longer. Game 3 would have been under three hours if it didn't go to extra innings. What the fuck does Joe West want, besides a new roast beef to tuck under his chin?

Page 47 of 416 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 97 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4567
    Last Post: 2011-11-01, 11:00
  2. Replies: 1020
    Last Post: 2011-04-09, 10:47
  3. 2009-2010 NBA Season, Lebron to Miami!
    By Dimmauk in forum Sports
    Replies: 3795
    Last Post: 2010-10-01, 17:40
  4. 2009 MLB season discussion*
    By fren. in forum Sports
    Replies: 7026
    Last Post: 2010-02-08, 14:00
  5. MLB '08 Season Discussion
    By Doombard in forum Sports
    Replies: 1420
    Last Post: 2009-01-08, 16:58
  6. 2008 MLB season
    By pohibaba in forum Sports
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 2008-04-08, 18:25
  7. 2008 MLB Season
    By Lordcaim in forum Sports
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 2008-03-05, 08:25