Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 148
  1. #61
    Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    28,590
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

    Change love ot like and same thing. You listen to 5 minutes of radiohead and you've heard everything they put out.

  2. #62
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,165
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    I've never heard radiohead's first album.
    Well you coulda just said that in the first place.

  3. #63
    Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    28,590
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

    Yea, it was a little while after that, that Sevendust caught on in the bay area. We get fucked radio wise. We haven't had a station that plays hard rock since KSJO got switched to a mexican station a few years ago. We get classic rock, alternative crap like radiohead, dashboard confesional etc, and that's about it. It's the #1 reason I pay for Satalite radio.

  4. #64
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,165
    BG Level
    10

    Oh Sevendust wasn't "big" back then or anything. My sister bought me the album cuz she liked the guy's voice.

    They're still not exactly "big," are they? I pay absolutely no attention to radio >.>

    Just saying they've been at about the same status (or at least I thought) of being a known, semi-popular, but far from big-name band since about the same time people started shopping at hot topic for more than printed t's.

  5. #65
    Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    28,590
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

    They seem to be pretty popular now. I know they get regular rotation on XM/Sirrius. Think this is the 6th album they've got coming out now not counting the Greatest Hits album that actually had a tollerable cover of Alice Cooper's School's Out on it.

  6. #66
    The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    32,666
    BG Level
    10

    i thought their singer died

  7. #67
    netz
    Guest

    Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    Yea, it was a little while after that, that Sevendust caught on in the bay area. We get fucked radio wise. We haven't had a station that plays hard rock since KSJO got switched to a mexican station a few years ago. We get classic rock, alternative crap like radiohead, dashboard confesional etc, and that's about it. It's the #1 reason I pay for Satalite radio.
    Radio stations seem to be highly temperamental and occasionally huge format switches take place literally overnight. We get mostly generic rock with a balance of something like 90% pre-1990, a vanishingly small percentage 1990-2000, and the rest filled in with "new music."

    It basically means you can tune into any station in this area and have a pretty good chance of hearing the following within 30 minutes:
    - Metallica
    - Aerosmith
    - Led Zeppelin
    - Pink Floyd
    - Guns 'N Roses
    - Alice in Chains
    - Nirvana
    - Pearl Jam
    - (my personal favorite to hate) Motley Crue

    You will hear at least one of those bands, minimum once per hour.

    The correct solution to this problem is Pandora or Last.fm. iTunes Genius is surprisingly useful, too (my music library is actually slowly increasing in legality...). I never tried satellite radio for anything but Howard Stern, and I probably won't be signing on anytime soon.

    I started using last.fm's audioscrobbler again if anyone wants to laugh at my musical taste (or lack thereof).

  8. #68
    New Merits
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    213
    BG Level
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by Silentleroy View Post
    Drake and the entire young money crew (besides MAYBE Tyga) are all horrible artists. Especially wayne. Ask any reputable person on this board (Deejay, Miz,Abandon, Kyo, Domon, Seanr, Ryko)and they'll agree with me.
    More power to you guys...Everyone has their own opinions. I like it so I'm buyin it.

  9. #69
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    242
    BG Level
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by Priran View Post
    Didn't like this, at all
    It wasn't as good as Demon Days, probably my favorite album of all time.

    I like it, but I'm never like "I want to listen to that song NOW," like I do with Demon Days....

    I dunno

  10. #70
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    562
    BG Level
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by Silentleroy View Post
    Drake and the entire young money crew (besides MAYBE Tyga) are all horrible artists. Especially wayne. Ask any reputable person on this board (Deejay, Miz,Abandon, Kyo, Domon, Seanr, Ryko)and they'll agree with me.
    I dont understand what you mean by reputable. High post count? If I ask the people you listed if they agree with you, is that supposed to make me go "Oh yea young money must be trash cause they say so too?" No matter what youre basing that "status" on, just because you know people who share your opinion doesnt make it any more factual.

    And why does it matter if he can freestyle or not when we are talking about albums? If this was a "Best Freestyler" thread then that video would actually be relevant.

  11. #71
    If I screw up again Im gone forever.
    Secret Admin

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,540
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilik View Post
    I dont understand what you mean by reputable. High post count? If I ask the people you listed if they agree with you, is that supposed to make me go "Oh yea young money must be trash cause they say so too?" No matter what youre basing that "status" on, just because you know people who share your opinion doesnt make it any more factual.

    And why does it matter if he can freestyle or not when we are talking about albums? If this was a "Best Freestyler" thread then that video would actually be relevant.
    High post count has nothing to do with, it's more about that they know their stuff. The point of the freestyle is that he has no talent. Imma be honest, pretty much anyone can become a rapper if all they do is write some simple rhymes down on a piece of paper. They have no meaning. Listen to Lupe Fiasco, that is the deepest music I've ever heard. Like i've said before (not in this thread) but I just don't understand why lil wayne is so popular, I can mumble incomprehensible words that rhyme and have no meaning too, but I'm not famous. It doesn't take skill to become a rap artist now a days, and the ones that do have skill often go unnoticed and aren't mainstream (A good portion of albums I listed).

    Edit: Still looking for that quote that sums up everything pretty much but this will suffice.

    You Want The Flavor Ma
    HEY! I Gotcha
    You Want The Realness
    WELL! I Gotcha
    I Know You Sick Of Them Players Big Car And Watch Ya
    Either They Pimps Or They Macks Or They Mobsters
    You Want The Real Sh*t
    HEY! I Gotcha

  12. #72
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    562
    BG Level
    5

    Your opinion of lil wayne and lupe fiasco aside, what "stuff" is there to know? Rap, along with all other kinds of music, isnt a science. There isnt a formula or equation that you have to learn to figure out what is good and what isnt. It's all based off opinions. Lil Wayne is popular because people (not you) think his music is good. If you dont think he is talented, that doesnt mean everyone that thinks he is is wrong and you know something they dont. You're acting like you have some kind of special knowledge that everyone should follow in forming their own opinions.

  13. #73
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,165
    BG Level
    10

    I like people that can convince themselves they stay "out of the mainstream" shit like wayne while posting eminem, t.i., lupe, kanye west, gorillaz, common, and some kid that hasn't put out an album yet but is all over mtv, bet, etc.

  14. #74
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,284
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/...listbricks.jpg
    http://enjambra.files.wordpress.com/...-is-boring.jpg
    (Los Campesinos! Romance is Boring)
    http://owenpallett.store-08.com/medi...460_detail.jpg
    (Owen Pallett Heartland)
    The third Arcade Fire album (hopefully).

  15. #75
    If I screw up again Im gone forever.
    Secret Admin

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,540
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    I like people that can convince themselves they stay "out of the mainstream" shit like wayne while posting eminem, t.i., lupe, kanye west, gorillaz, common, and some kid that hasn't put out an album yet but is all over mtv, bet, etc.
    Really Plow, no one really cares about you. I didn't say I want to stay out of the main stream. Which, By the by, Lupe is far from mainstream.

    Your opinion of lil wayne and lupe fiasco aside, what "stuff" is there to know? Rap, along with all other kinds of music, isnt a science. There isnt a formula or equation that you have to learn to figure out what is good and what isnt. It's all based off opinions. Lil Wayne is popular because people (not you) think his music is good. If you dont think he is talented, that doesnt mean everyone that thinks he is is wrong and you know something they dont. You're acting like you have some kind of special knowledge that everyone should follow in forming their own opinions.
    I think we can both agree that talent is a relative term, and I'm saying compared to the likes of Lupe, Eminem, Kanye and a few others etc, that he really doesn't have talent. Now whether or not music sounds good, and if a person has talent are two completely different things in my mind. I listen to some music that I think sounds good, but that doesn't mean the person has talent. Going with the Young Money example, I like Money to Blow, but when you get down and look at it lyrically, it really just doesn't show any meaning outside of rhyming a few lines here and there.

    I, quite frankly, am tired of listening to people rap about stupid shit like getting money, getting wasted and fucking bitches. Hell everyone I talk to that likes Wayne, when there is a Wayne song on I go "Did you listen to that? That makes no fucking sense."

    I know some people don't like Lupe because he sounds so different and don't pay attention to/appreciate the lyrics. I really recommend you listen to Conflict Diamonds if you haven't before, or Hurt Me Soul.

  16. #76
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,165
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Silentleroy View Post
    Really Plow, no one really cares about you.
    onoez

    I didn't say I want to stay out of the main stream.
    You're insulting the mainstream and talking about how bad people's taste is while posting T.I.

    I won't even get into kanye, because he's occasionally impressive as a lyricist, but for the most part he's a fucking idiot making terrible music that fits all the talentless stereotypical rap profiles perfectly.

    Which, By the by, Lupe is far from mainstream.
    Right, find me a typical mainstream listener that doesn't know him.


    I think we can both agree that talent is a relative term, and I'm saying compared to the likes of Lupe, Eminem, Kanye and a few others etc, that he really doesn't have talent. Now whether or not music sounds good, and if a person has talent are two completely different things in my mind. I listen to some music that I think sounds good, but that doesn't mean the person has talent. Going with the Young Money example, I like Money to Blow, but when you get down and look at it lyrically, it really just doesn't show any meaning outside of rhyming a few lines here and there.
    He has more talent than kanye or lupe in terms of delivery, and is pretty good as a producer.

    Doesn't stop his music from being shit, but he has talent hidden behind the suck the same way kanye does.

    I, quite frankly, am tired of listening to people rap about stupid shit like getting money, getting wasted and fucking bitches. Hell everyone I talk to that likes Wayne, when there is a Wayne song on I go "Did you listen to that? That makes no fucking sense."
    The music business is a business. Eminem has fucking terrible songs and fucking amazing songs, guess which ones sell better and therefore get all the radio play? They supply what people want to hear. You want to hear Kanye try to decide between being a Jesus freak and talking about how dirty all the hoes he's fucked are, so that's what you get. Other people want to hear wayne turn a decent beat into meaningless mumbled drivel about all the dirty hoes he fucks, so that's what they get.

  17. #77
    If I screw up again Im gone forever.
    Secret Admin

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,540
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post

    You're insulting the mainstream and talking about how bad people's taste is while posting T.I.
    T.I. is far more impressive than Wayne. I was insulting Wayne and Young Money mostly, not mainstream as much as you want to take that out of my words. Popular =/= mainstream all the time.

    I won't even get into kanye, because he's occasionally impressive as a lyricist, but for the most part he's a fucking idiot making terrible music that fits all the talentless stereotypical rap profiles perfectly.
    Late Registration, Graduation and The College Dropout were all very good Albums. lol@the last part.
    Right, find me a typical mainstream listener that doesn't know him.
    Uh everyone? All the typical mainstream listener listens to is lil wayne, Drake, and Gucci.

    He has more talent than kanye or lupe in terms of delivery, and is pretty good as a producer.

    Doesn't stop his music from being shit, but he has talent hidden behind the suck the same way kanye does.
    I wouldn't call mumbling having talent as delivery. Kanye is a much better producer than Wayne and Lupe is probably one of, if not the best, lyricist in the game right now.

    The music business is a business. Eminem has fucking terrible songs and fucking amazing songs, guess which ones sell better and therefore get all the radio play? They supply what people want to hear. You want to hear Kanye try to decide between being a Jesus freak and talking about how dirty all the hoes he's fucked are, so that's what you get. Other people want to hear wayne turn a decent beat into meaningless mumbled drivel about all the dirty hoes he fucks, so that's what they get.
    Obviously music is all about business. People fuel Wayne and Co.'s retarded music "movement." Thanks for making my point.

    lol replying to a plow post, I must be really bored.

    Edit: To quote "some kid that doesn't even have an album but is all over MTV and BET"

    Honestly, I don't even listen to rap
    Cuz when I turn the radio on, out comes crap
    And if you make good music, that's ok but
    on the radio that they don't play

  18. #78
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    242
    BG Level
    4

    Plow I like you. I don't know you, but you make sense. So I like you.

  19. #79
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    562
    BG Level
    5

    I listen to all of the artists we have been talking about (some more than others). I wasnt trying to argue about who is good and who isnt. My only point was that its all based off opinions and preferences.

  20. #80
    The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    32,666
    BG Level
    10

    im sorry leroy but superstar was a top 10 hit in this country and even bigger in Europe. most people know his name. he is main stream, deal with.

    people hear "mainstream" and they think it means a musician sucks. i will never understand that.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 2010-04-29, 16:47
  2. Ron Paul's son Rand to run for KY Senate in 2010
    By Olo401 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 2009-05-18, 12:14
  3. USA to split in 2010?
    By Intense in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 147
    Last Post: 2009-01-07, 17:05
  4. Lana Lang to play Chun-Li in new Street Fighter Movie
    By Akiyama in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 2007-12-27, 13:59