
Originally Posted by
Gredival
Now if you know exactly what you want to do, none of this need apply. I myself am going to Law School this fall and my application was hurt by an average-ish GPA. That is because I went to a very competitive school that's a peer to HYP as far as admissions statistics. If I could go back I would definitely have gone to UCLA or Cal, chose easy over "academically challenge but rewarding" classes, and rode to a near 4.0 off the mediocrity of average classmates.
But there are many times where choosing on prestige makes sense.
Many people don't intend to do graduate school, so paying for a brand name diploma might be very important coming into the job market right after graduation. Especially in a situation where general prestige might be more important than how respected your specific department, the school's prestige can speak to your qualification.
If you want to see how go meet some new people for two weeks. For one week tell them that next summer you are going to Harvard. The next week tell another group you are going to a local community college. Who was more impressed by you the first five minutes of conversation before even knowing you? You may think these are just average people and you don't need to impress them... but many employers ARE average people. If you're not trying to get into a job with enough specialization to require the employer to know the top-10 schools in their field, you are always going to be better off if you can name-drop an Ivy.
Additionally if you don't know what exactly you want to do going to a school like Harvard is a safe way to make sure doors are open to you after graduation. Sure it may not be the ideal path, but I can guarantee you that no door will be closed to you because you went to Harvard. When you don't know what you want to do in life that flexibility is more important than local Tijuana Tech's high placement in Engineering -- specialized reputation limits you and is therefore not of use unless you are 100% set on your life path. And the fact is that a huge number of people change majors in college (I want to say 50% but I have no idea if that's correct).
Better schools get more employers for OCI programs. This is essential to getting a high paying job if you are trying to break into a competitive market without any connections.
Those better professors are also usually helpful in networking.