Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 1480

Thread: iPhone 4     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #21
    The Wang
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,343
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Furt Wangler
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Yes, but you will not be able to officially buy the tethering option unless you switch down. So it's jailbreak or bust for tethering from now on.

  2. #22
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,210
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Quote Originally Posted by Furtwangler View Post
    Yes, but you will not be able to officially buy the tethering option unless you switch down. So it's jailbreak or bust for tethering from now on.
    It always was, as long as the official way isn't free.

    If they ever come up with a "Get mobile broadband for your laptop and get free tethering on your phone" plan, I'll buy it legitimately. But until then, it's just not equitable.

  3. #23
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    14
    BG Level
    1

    I am tempted to get the Iphone 4G

  4. #24
    BG Content
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    15,631
    BG Level
    9
    Blog Entries
    101

    I'm sure At&t's "95% of people don't use over 2gb" statistic is skewed to justify their changes, but I was wondering if someone could break it down for me just how much on average people uses checking their e-mail, getting directions, watching youtube randomly, looking things up during dinner conversations, etc.

  5. #25
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,297
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Reznuh
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    i'm hoping i can upgrade my 3g without paying extra fees before march 2011 (when my 2 years would be up). anyone dealt with this going 3g to 3gs or anything similar?

  6. #26
    GRT
    GRT is offline
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,272
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Furtwangler View Post
    Yes, but you will not be able to officially buy the tethering option unless you switch down. So it's jailbreak or bust for tethering from now on.
    How certain are you about this? And if I'm not on a data plan right now, can I start on the unlimited plan right now (before the option goes away) and get in on this loophole?

  7. #27
    BG Content
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    15,631
    BG Level
    9
    Blog Entries
    101

    Quote Originally Posted by GRT View Post
    How certain are you about this? And if I'm not on a data plan right now, can I start on the unlimited plan right now (before the option goes away) and get in on this loophole?
    All smartphones, iPhones and iPads will fall under the new plans, detailed here, if you start a new contract after June 7.

    Some scenarios:

    • If you come from Verizon (or wherever) to AT&T after June 7, you'll have to get either the $15/200MB plan or $25/2GB plan with your new smartphone. There won't be any kind of unlimited option.

    • If you already have a $30 unlimited smartphone data plan on AT&T for an iPhone (or BlackBerry or whatever smartphone), you can get a new phone and keep your old unlimited plan when you renew your contract after June 7—you just can't add tethering.

    • If you have an iPad with 3G data, and the billing period starts before June 7, you'll have unlimited data, and if you let it renew automatically every month, you'll keep the unlimited plan for as long as you let it renew.

    • If you have an iPad 3G and sign up for a new data plan after June 7, it'll be for the $15/200MB or $25/2GB package.
    Taken from Gizmodo: http://gizmodo.com/5553608/caution-a...are-going-away

  8. #28
    GRT
    GRT is offline
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,272
    BG Level
    7

    The only thing I'm worried about is that I never had a data plan contract with AT&T, and the bullet has such a phrase: "when you renew your contract."

  9. #29
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,664
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Quote Originally Posted by Neosutra View Post

    40% faster processor over 3GS.
    This is why I will upgrade my 3G to a 4G... should be a big difference in performance. The other crap is alright but not as important to me.

  10. #30
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    10,421
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Neosutra View Post
    New case allows for 20-30% better signal range.
    AT&T still sucks ass for 3G network... I miss my droid. Verizon's network pretty much cannot be beat here in the US. No idea how the 4G will do though.

  11. #31
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,664
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    AT&T still sucks ass for 3G network... I miss my droid. Verizon's network pretty much cannot be beat here in the US. No idea how the 4G will do though.
    I get tired of people making global statement about coverage... it's so territorial its ridiculous. My gf has Verizon and in Dallas my AT&T 3G totally owns her blackberry, but it probably has to do with AT&T having their headquarters here. However we were in Seattle recently and my AT&T 3G sucked hardcore and her Verizon signal was just fine.

  12. #32
    Zeh
    Zeh is offline
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    319
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

    Oh, and no task switching on the 3G either.

  13. #33
    Sponsored by Orton
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,517
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    I'm sure At&t's "95% of people don't use over 2gb" statistic is skewed to justify their changes, but I was wondering if someone could break it down for me just how much on average people uses checking their e-mail, getting directions, watching youtube randomly, looking things up during dinner conversations, etc.
    I use my iPhone daily. Email/exchange is pushed and I also have a handful of apps that push info as well. I use it daily for Twitter and Facebook quite heavily every day, and occasionally use it for IM and streaming audio from the MLB app. As far as internet goes, I probably look up websites here and there every other day and stream videos maybe twice a week from youtube.

    I have yet to go over 1GB going that; however, I do use Wifi connections at home and in the office. The majority of my usage (as far as time goes) does come in 3G areas, but I do very little web surfing/streaming as it is mostly Twitter/Facebook app usage as well as checking scores via ESPN/MLB apps.

    Now, granted, if I add tethering to my plan, I have a feeling that could go up quite a bit. I'm not sure if I'd ever cross the 2GB cap with the way I use the phone right now, but that could all change based on what new apps can do, multitasking driving up data usage, if I travel more, and how much I tether.

  14. #34
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    10,421
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by volcanicweather View Post
    I get tired of people making global statement about coverage... it's so territorial its ridiculous. My gf has Verizon and in Dallas my AT&T 3G totally owns her blackberry, but it probably has to do with AT&T having their headquarters here. However we were in Seattle recently and my AT&T 3G sucked hardcore and her Verizon signal was just fine.
    I've used my 3G on AT&T and my Droid from Florida to Minnesota. On this coast AT&T sucks. My step-dad who travels all over the nation also states that AT&T sucks, but got the company all IPhones anyways because he's a huge apple fan lol. I like the phone don't get me wrong. I just don't like the network.

  15. #35
    The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,761
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

    I drive 5 miles out of town and I get knocked down to EDGE. I drive a lot, so it pisses me off. I think AT&Ts 3G is faster, but it's coverage is trash. Sucks, my whole family and co-workers are on AT&T, so as long as I want free m2m, I pretty much have to stick with it.

  16. #36
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    11,977
    BG Level
    9

    Okay, I get that AT&T wants users to pay by the GB of data they consume.

    But if they do that, why are they still charging extra for tethering? If I bought 2GB of data this month, why in the world does it matter if I'm using it on my iphone or if I'm tethering to my laptop?

    Screw that, jailbreaking ftw.

  17. #37
    The Dazzler
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,429
    BG Level
    6

    The thing that drives me nuts about AT&T is where my condo is there are ridiculous nulls in signal. For example, in my third bedroom I get 5 bars and good 3G. I get 1 bar to no service anywhere else in my place. I'm using wifi for data but being stuck in the third bedroom while I talk on the phone is more than kind of annoying.

  18. #38
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,218
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Zap Brannigan
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    tell ya the truth i was hoping for at&t to force the plan on old users, that way i could get out of my contract and get the 4G cheaper.(Bought a 3gs few months ago)

  19. #39
    Zeh
    Zeh is offline
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    319
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

    ....how stupid do you have to be to buy a new iPhone in the six month period apple traditionally makes announcements? You dug yourself that hole yourself bud

  20. #40
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by an hero View Post
    ....how stupid do you have to be to buy a new iPhone in the six month period apple traditionally makes announcements? You dug yourself that hole yourself bud
    He got a stupidly cheap but still awesome phone?

    Not exactly stupid.

    If he isnt the "zomg i need the newest gadget it's so cool" like a lot of us here, he made out pretty well.

Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. iPhone ~ browsing, what's it like?
    By The Stig in forum Tech
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 2008-09-17, 14:40