Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 298
  1. #181
    BG Staff
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    27,188
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Spoiler: show
    I just like Bond having a back story now than some playboy spy killing machine. So was M his mother or what? Silva kinda goes "of course!" when he saw the bond grave.

  2. #182
    Caesar Salad
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    32,116
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Insanecyclone View Post
    Spoiler: show
    I just like Bond having a back story now than some playboy spy killing machine. So was M his mother or what? Silva kinda goes "of course!" when he saw the bond grave.
    Spoiler: show
    No. It was just appropriate cause that is where Bonds mother was dead, and it is where Silva's "mother" was going to die. I thought so too, but it's just cause the dude is psychotic, and an orphan, so he took to her as his real mother.

  3. #183
    BG Staff
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    27,188
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Yeah that makes sense.

    Spoiler: show
    I was just expecting some big twist/reveal at the end I guess.

  4. #184
    Caesar Salad
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    32,116
    BG Level
    10

    Same, but I think that's what made it so great. Such a simple plot, but still probably one of the deepest we've ever seen these characters go.

    Spoiler: show
    I think this is the best bond movie ever just because of how personal it is. No ridiculous take over the world theme; no giant conspiracy. Just an ex agent gone psycho and wanting revenge for being cast off as a pawn. My favorite scene is when you first meet Silva and he tries to entice Bond to join him. It's like "What is your purpose? Missions? I can give you missions. Plot to destabilize a country via stock manipulation? Can do that over here. Destroy supply chains? Got that over here". Probably makes Silva the most sinister villain, just cause he can do all of that but instead choose to do something more personal.

  5. #185
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10,115
    BG Level
    9

    Re: Skyfall (November 9, 2012)

    I've loved how the henchmen never really take you off from the action. They shoot, they move and they die, in and out simple and well done. They exist solely to give substance to the action.

  6. #186
    Alarial
    Guest

    Going to disagree with everyone here. I liked Craig's bond because it feel more real and less campy than the others. This bond seemed a detachment from that. Seemed like a campy older bond movie. And even worse, they decided to take out all the action in the middle of the movie in some attempt to make it darker and more human, when in reality all they did is cause me to say "is this over yet".

    Least favorite bond thus far. But hey, it's getting great reviews and everyone else here likes it. So go see it I guess.

  7. #187
    Caesar Salad
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    32,116
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Alarial View Post
    Going to disagree with everyone here. I liked Craig's bond because it feel more real and less campy than the others. This bond seemed a detachment from that. Seemed like a campy older bond movie. And even worse, they decided to take out all the action in the middle of the movie in some attempt to make it darker and more human, when in reality all they did is cause me to say "is this over yet".

    Least favorite bond thus far. But hey, it's getting great reviews and everyone else here likes it. So go see it I guess.
    You feel like this bond was less realistic and more campy then the others? I have no idea what movie you saw, obviously it wasn't Skyfall. This is probably the most realistic and personal Bond film ever.

  8. #188
    New Odin
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    8,659
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    Quote Originally Posted by Alarial View Post
    Going to disagree with everyone here. I liked Craig's bond because it feel more real and less campy than the others. This bond seemed a detachment from that. Seemed like a campy older bond movie. And even worse, they decided to take out all the action in the middle of the movie in some attempt to make it darker and more human, when in reality all they did is cause me to say "is this over yet".

    Least favorite bond thus far. But hey, it's getting great reviews and everyone else here likes it. So go see it I guess.
    Spoiler: show
    This flick wasn't realistic? The entire 3rd act (Skyfall to the conclusion) had me feeling this wasn't a Bond flick because of the realism. No larger than life set pieces, no goons being gunned down by an invincible Bond, no damsel in distress and nothing major at stake here. All you got was Bond defending his 'family' utilizing very rudimentary methods from an insane version of himself also desperately clinging to his 'family' or lack thereof. The most unrealistic thing we got was a helicopter. A helicopter and some grenades.

    Silva is even cast in a sympathetic light as a tool of M gone horribly wrong right up to the symbolic way he dies via being stabbed in the back. The advance of technology questions the relevance of MI6 and 007 as a field agent. Bond failing his physical exam and seeming 'off' from the start (getting shot) put this movie in a whole different place. This wasn't Brosnan/Moore style 'just another day for Bond', it was some humanity that was frankly jarring to me as a fan. Where was the camp? This movie felt more like a thriller with 007 in the mix.

    The reason I rate Casino Royale as better than Skyfall is precisely because Casino got the mix of Bond elements (realistic and unrealistic) better than Skyfall which went down the road of trying to flesh out M and Bond's relationship and Bond's relationship to the world to the point of diminishing some of the redeeming qualities like those larger than life adversaries, the plot invincibility and the suave that has made Bond such an enduring literary and cinematic presence all these years. Other movies have done smaller scale enemies (most notably Daltons two) but this movie isn't even about an organization, it's one man and his grudge against M.

    This may have been the first movie where I felt bad the villain got killed by Bond. Compare that to Kananga getting blown up in LALD, Goldfinger getting sucked out of a plane, Grant getting strangled by Bond, Sanchez getting lit up or even Le Chifre getting executed by Quantum. All of those guys deserved their fates and the audience knows it but Silva? You're left questioning M and organizations like MI6 just like Goldeneye where you questioned where 006 went wrong. Except Silva is clearly off the rails and mentally scarred.

    It was a great movie but as said previously this movie has you thinking more about the real world than enjoying the escape Bond movies have typically been.

  9. #189
    Alarial
    Guest

    Spoiler: show
    To each their own. It seemed like it was trying to hard to make some deep humanizing connection, and it just missed it with me. I had more sympathy for the characters in the first two movies than this one. I found the action mediocre and the plot to rather boring. I still love the Craig bond, and am looking forward to more movies. But it's still Casino Royale > > Quantum >>>>> Skyfall for me. I wouldn't trouble yourself in getting angry at my opinion, as you're welcome to still think this bond rocked.

  10. #190
    Caesar Salad
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    32,116
    BG Level
    10

    Spoiler: show
    I just find it inconceivable you think this one wasn't the most realistic bond ever. I mean shit, more realistic then even Quantum of Solace? CR has the benefit of being very entertaining, but even then Bond is incredibly impersonal. This movie really made Bond feel human.

    Obligatory, LET'S GO STEAL THE WORLDS WATER!!

  11. #191
    ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,967
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Favorite Bond to date. Best bond? Hmmm I don't want to make a reactionary decision on that yet, but its pretty damn close. The 3rd act is what makes me say, this is better then casino royale.

  12. #192
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,455
    BG Level
    7

    I actually did not enjoy the last act.

    I think the movie was firing on all cylinders until
    Spoiler: show
    Silva is captured on his island. C'mon, show me more of the island. Also, I was kind of hoping they would explore the 'rattled' Bond theme a little more. That theme just evaporates at that point.

  13. #193
    ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,967
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Nah,

    Spoiler: show
    I like that no one part dragged on

  14. #194
    BG Staff
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    27,188
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Except for the opening song.

  15. #195
    BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34,924
    BG Level
    10

    Re: Skyfall (November 9, 2012)

    Loved it. A little predictable towards the end, but miles above QOS.

  16. #196
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    12,822
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Quote Originally Posted by Kwijiboe View Post
    I actually did not enjoy the last act.

    I think the movie was firing on all cylinders until
    Spoiler: show
    Silva is captured on his island. C'mon, show me more of the island.
    Spoiler: show
    well, if you want to see more of the island, I'm pretty sure they used real location. Think it's an island off Japan.
    I think that's what they did. Maybe I'm just misremembering what that place looked like.

  17. #197
    ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,967
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    ^ Yup. I immediately recognized it. It has a pretty crazy back story, similar to whats told in the movie too.

  18. #198
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,455
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    Spoiler: show
    well, if you want to see more of the island, I'm pretty sure they used real location. Think it's an island off Japan.
    I think that's what they did. Maybe I'm just misremembering what that place looked like.
    I'm interested in the island in the context of the movie and the purpose for the location. I also think some really cool action could have taken place there. Also, flesh out the theme that
    Spoiler: show
    Field operatives aren't really necessary anymore. It's a young mans game. This movie didn't explore that enough, what it really needed was a young villain. I think that them will return for the next Bond--with rumors that Benedict Cumberbatch is being cast as the villain.

  19. #199
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10,115
    BG Level
    9

    Re: Skyfall (November 9, 2012)

    Herp derp

  20. #200
    BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34,924
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Insanecyclone View Post
    Spoiler: show
    I just like Bond having a back story now than some playboy spy killing machine. So was M his mother or what? Silva kinda goes "of course!" when he saw the bond grave.
    Spoiler: show
    I took that to mean that Silva was an orphan himself, since M said that orphans make the best agents and he had alluded that he was M's favorite before Bond. When he saw that Bond was an orphan too, Bond's character made sense to him.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast