1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 2 hours, 22 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 21 hours, 37 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 4 days, 19 hours, 22 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 1 days, 14 hours, 37 minutes
Page 95 of 148 FirstFirst ... 45 85 93 94 95 96 97 105 145 ... LastLast
Results 1881 to 1900 of 2956
  1. #1881
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,411
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

    Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    I hope you're kidding about these 2 points... The rest yeah, are issues and need to be corrected and patched but you can't honestly complain about how many zones there are, unless im reading that wrong and it's more about you needing to go through 8 zones to reach a certain area. Also server up/down time is part of testing, even if you are not actually physically testing your character, you're testing the server stability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    You have 8 zones littered with NPCs... Each separated by a loading screen. Do you want to shop through 8 Rolanberries? "Done with this zone... next!" Idk, bout you but thats exhausting, not very efficient, clunky altogether. Trying to find a specific vendor is a nightmare. You get to pick the zone you want to jump too but its still really slow.

    I saw two zones and called it quits.

    Yes I'm aware of that which is why I've stated it. Its really hard to test things that effect the economy with limited server uptime. Until then those are the problems I've encountered with this feature. Thats not a complaint, btw, I'm just pointing that out.
    I think you 2 got crossed up there. It sounded like Meresgi originally thought Kuro was talking about just 8 zones available in the entire test, where by 8 zones Kuro meant the 8 market wards. That limited zone number wasn't a complaint against the whole beta (well not directly I suppose... ).

    Quote Originally Posted by aru View Post
    Well, as exciting as the discussion is about menu delay time...

    Has anyone been able to fight mobs that have the same, or similar, jobs/skills that players get? Do mobs block or parry or use certain moves on you if the evade an attack? This was something that was in FFXI that I really liked, but I felt like they really half-assed. Sure, MNK mobs could counter and guard, WAR mobs could double attack, but you would never see something parry or shield block or use abilities tied to their class like Jump, Rampart or Aggressor. Are these limitations removed?

    Also, how come nobody talks about Thaumaturge? Are people embarrassed that they might not be able to spell it correctly during discussion or is it just ridiculously unpopular for some reason?
    As of yesterday morning I made a brand new thaumaturge, and boy do they kill slow as fuck compared to melee. The only fight I got to do was the tutorial one on the boat, and it took at least 15-20 spirit dart things to kill it, and I used scourge and its counterpart prolly about 10 times each and every single one said it failed. If we get a functional test again I'll try more with it, but they are pretty shitastic out the gate.

  2. #1882
    F5 Like A Boss.
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,396
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

    Yeah I was referring to the Market Wards. Sorry, I thought that was clear. :X

    Mage classes not getting great reception since the start of Beta. People keep telling me to Level Conjurer etc... Not touching that shit with a 10 foot pole.

  3. #1883
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,178
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    Yeah I was referring to the Market Wards. Sorry, I thought that was clear. :X

    Mage classes not getting great reception since the start of Beta. People keep telling me to Level Conjurer etc... Not touching that shit with a 10 foot pole.
    If it stays gimp assume it's going to be broken as hell later. Not as if being weak then overpowered hasn't happened before.

  4. #1884
    i'm awesome.
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    9,218
    BG Level
    8


  5. #1885
    New Odin
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8,825
    BG Level
    8

    All these issues just make me that much more excited for the future updates. There's so much shit to change still.

    I mean they could completely fail this whole thing, but I'm not cynical enough to believe that :D.

  6. #1886
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,178
    BG Level
    6

    DP

  7. #1887
    aru
    aru is offline
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,084
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by ascalon View Post
    I like Thaumaturge, and enjoyed playing it up to level 15 or so in Alpha. With the changes to spellcasters in Beta, though, it is infuriating to play without constantly camping at the Aetheryte. Reasons for this include:

    1) Thaumaturges get more spells per level than any class in Beta so far (I think.) Some levels I was learning two spells -- Bio/Dia for example, Slow/Gravity for another -- rather than one. I don't have enough AP to equip half of those the last time I checked.

    2) Having lots of spells is great. If you have the MP to cast them. IIRC they cost between 7-11mp to cast. Say I only cast Poison, Scourge, Scourge, and then use Phantom Dart to finish off a mob, I've used up almost 30mp from my initial starting pool of approx 300 MP. Phantom Dart does almost no damage, so EITHER I dump MP into actual spells to finish mobs off in a reasonable time, or I spend three minutes killing a mob while my Pugilist at the same level has already killed four mobs.

    In other words, THM and CNJ are really great in concept, but both need MASSIVE balancing, which goes back to a) the lack of Refresh or /resting for MP in the field, and b) the amount of damage the base TP-building attacks do. Again, this is only to level 5 or so, but I gave up after that because it takes a lot longer to rank up in beta as it is, w/out the massive extra time it takes to skill up through spells vs physical attacks
    Is it possible that SE thinks it's balanced since mages are AoE/Conical and melee are single target? In other words, maybe they only seem weak because you are using spells designed for multiple enemies against a single enemy? So instead of casting poison 10 times on 10 monsters and spending 50mp you are capable of casting it once on 10 monsters and spending 5mp? Maybe that's how they see it balancing out but since, as far as I know, there aren't "many vs party" battles yet, only "single vs party", they seem weak? Maybe they could up the potency vs a reduced amount of enemy targets?

  8. #1888
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,178
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk View Post
    This is funny but so far it's shots fired down a one way street and doesn't really have any good arguments. However it's funny cause it has the online.

  9. #1889
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,178
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by aru View Post
    Is it possible that SE thinks it's balanced since mages are AoE/Conical and melee are single target? In other words, maybe they only seem weak because you are using spells designed for multiple enemies against a single enemy? So instead of casting poison 10 times on 10 monsters and spending 50mp you are capable of casting it once on 10 monsters and spending 5mp? Maybe that's how they see it balancing out but since, as far as I know, there aren't "many vs party" battles yet, only "single vs party", they seem weak? Maybe they could up the potency vs a reduced amount of enemy targets?
    So far only multiple mobs that behave as a group seem to be in leves. Aoe from what I've seen this early isn't super strong but can be useful if your not near something you don't want to aggro.

  10. #1890
    F5 Like A Boss.
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,396
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    All these issues just make me that much more excited for the future updates. There's so much shit to change still.
    Yeah dude, I'm looking forward to the next version update about as much as I did in FFXI just so I can finally see how it all comes together and whether or not SE is really listening.

  11. #1891
    i'm awesome.
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    9,218
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by aru View Post
    Is it possible that SE thinks it's balanced since mages are AoE/Conical and melee are single target? In other words, maybe they only seem weak because you are using spells designed for multiple enemies against a single enemy? So instead of casting poison 10 times on 10 monsters and spending 50mp you are capable of casting it once on 10 monsters and spending 5mp? Maybe that's how they see it balancing out but since, as far as I know, there aren't "many vs party" battles yet, only "single vs party", they seem weak? Maybe they could up the potency vs a reduced amount of enemy targets?
    The spells are not AoE, at least for conjurer. I do notice some Thaum spells are AoE though. Even if they are AoE though, it doesn't justify itself because the skill gains are not comparable to melee classes no matter how you slice it. We gain the same skill on a regular spell that the melees gain on their FACEROLL, spammable '1' ability. Every melee class can just spam 1 and get decent skill points, and their '1' scales with their stats. The bread and butter '1' attack for mages does not scale whatsoever, and it does pathetic damage (about 10-30, I started doing about 30 after I bought the rank 17 conjurer wand, thank god there are no restrictions in place) and the skill gain is about 8-20 skill points if it procs.

    Let's assume somehow, despite all these drawbacks the AoE aspect is some sort of saving grace. The mage classes have no way to fight multiple monsters, they would simply die after the first nuke, or even before then as they were struggling to group the mobs together.

  12. #1892
    F5 Like A Boss.
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,396
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

    The spells are not AoE, at least for conjurer.
    The spells are AoE for Conjurer just the range is short. Also their buffs are not just AoE... they hit people outside the party. Idk how that was happening lol.

    Rag hasn't tested with new set he got (Choke/Burn/Frost/etc) but I wouldn't be surprised.

  13. #1893
    i'm awesome.
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    9,218
    BG Level
    8

    The spells are not AoE for conjurer, I don't care what the tooltip says or what you remember. I have had mobs literally on top of eachother and the log still shows one mob taking damage and viewing the other mobs health shows no drop at all.

  14. #1894
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,178
    BG Level
    6

    I wonder if this will finally be a game where mages aren't > melee or balanced in way that doesn't make them feel entitled late game cause it was harder to grind early on. Also how many times can you spam Stoneskin.

  15. #1895
    F5 Like A Boss.
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,396
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

    Oh then Rag casting Thunder on 3 mobs during a guildleve was just my imagination.

    AoE works differently in this game - the mobs actually need to be attacking you or be on your hate list to get hit (that or they need to be red I think). My Circle Blade didn't hit other moles that were standing next to me... It must not be AoE.

    ^ This explains why that happened. I'm looking at vids... They're AoE. lol

  16. #1896
    i'm awesome.
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    9,218
    BG Level
    8

    lol play conjurer and try it. I've had 2 wingrats attacking me during the lvl 10 guildleve and only one took damage. I don't care what you remember your best buddy Rag doing, either way it's buggy and no the AoE aspect, even if it's somehow there does not make up for the fact that melees have a distinct advantage over mage classes who are inherently disadvantaged.

  17. #1897
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,178
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk View Post
    lol play conjurer and try it. I've had 2 wingrats attacking me during the lvl 10 guildleve and only one took damage. I don't care what you remember your best buddy Rag doing, either way it's buggy and no the AoE aspect, even if it's somehow there does not make up for the fact that melees have a distinct advantage over mage classes who are inherently disadvantaged.
    K I'm going with the beta excuse.

  18. #1898
    F5 Like A Boss.
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,396
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

    Not saying mages aren't at a disadvantage, I agree completely. I'm just correcting something you said that was wrong. Whether its working correctly is whats up for debate.

  19. #1899
    Cerberus
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    419
    BG Level
    4
    FFXIV Character
    Sirenia Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Velen

    I think Conjurer is AOE because I got aggro on a rat or something while I was fighting another one.

  20. #1900
    Zeh
    Zeh is offline
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    319
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

    how is this different from being a black Mage in XI

Page 95 of 148 FirstFirst ... 45 85 93 94 95 96 97 105 145 ... LastLast