1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 7 hours, 8 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 16 hours, 51 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 3 days, 0 hours, 8 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 9 hours, 51 minutes
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Results 321 to 340 of 354

Thread: Phase 3 Beta Screenshots     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #321
    I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    20,043
    BG Level
    10

    I would really love to leave ambient occlusion on, but it just really makes the game difficult to play.

  2. #322
    the whitest knight u' know
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    15,485
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    ambient occlusion is a global method, meaning the illumination at each point is a function of other geometry in the scene
    Occlusion literally means to shut off or stop. In this context, it's shutting out ambient light when local geometry should be blocking some of it.

    Unless you want to bring ray-tracing and caustics into it, I'm pretty certain this technically has nothing to do with texture and what you're talking about is diffusion... I was looking for differences in XIV from switching it on/off and all I could really notice from the scene I was in was the nicer (darker) shading under the brim of my hat and in some corners of my character, collar of the shirt/neck, etc. Then again, I wasn't wearing anything glossy like metal at the time, so you could be right and the option does what you mentioned in addition to what I stated.

  3. #323
    Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,320
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

    Quote Originally Posted by Gulkeeva View Post
    Ambient occlusion thing is like -50% fps on any card, with it off you get high fps, depth of field doesn't impact fps too much.

    I was getting 30-40 fps just out in the field myself with Ambient occlusion, with it off its a constant 60 everywhere and around people
    Even in town and around aetherite? D: You suck, Gulk. I get 15-25 shit FPS there. Out in the field is pretty high though.

  4. #324
    Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    10,160
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

    Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama View Post
    Even in town and around aetherite? D: You suck, Gulk. I get 15-25 shit FPS there. Out in the field is pretty high though.
    yeah lowest I got was 30 in towns wondering around (like 10-15+ people maybe?), but uhh.. playing below 60fps with how the mouse = /ohmygodowtf so I turned that stuff off >.>

    might try later when new radeon 6xxx's come out and water cool OC my cpu to like 4.4Ghz

    Radeon 5870 (oc'ed)
    intel i7 920 @ 3.6ghz
    8gb ddr
    win7

  5. #325
    Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,320
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

    Yeah.. I'm at:

    GTX 460 1GB (Minor OC, but not much)
    AMD Phenom II X3 720 @3.2GHz
    4GB ddr2
    Win7 Ultimiate

  6. #326
    Dragoon Princess
    My Little Ixion

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,668
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Kaiyoko Star
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...6-05-22-05.jpg

    Not trying to stir surplus issue up here, but posting to prove there is indeed a rank to surplus if anyone had any doubt.

    Edit- Also I got surplus to rank 25, but I couldn't find a pic of it.

  7. #327
    /lick
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,226
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Quote Originally Posted by Gulkeeva View Post
    Ambient occlusion thing is like -50% fps on any card, with it off you get high fps, depth of field doesn't impact fps too much.

    I was getting 30-40 fps just out in the field myself with Ambient occlusion, with it off its a constant 60 everywhere and around people
    FFXIV is a DX9 game.

    Ambient Occlusion implementations in DX9 are always horrible (both in terms of processing impact on GPU, and in relative returns based on that extra processing).

    I really fucking wish SE didn't suck at PC engine development, and had a DX10/11 codepath.

    Edit: Even SE's AA implementation is kinda bleh. I didn't really mess with it, but I'd like to see if I can't shut it off from the config and force it on from CCC.

  8. #328
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,288
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Arximiro Dragonheart
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

    Is that the lvl 1 axe star or does it just look like it. I had thought you could make an Axe with B leather straps?

  9. #329
    Bard-turned-Miner
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,648
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Amastacia View Post
    FFXIV is a DX9 game.
    This... this frustrates me to no end. I can't comprehend how a company that has said they want their graphics to be so advanced it will take time for the industry to catch up, knowing some people won't be able to play today because they can't upgrade/afford the parts/computer, and yet has seemingly locked themselves into a version of direct x that is as old as it is. I'm sure I've seen games that use DX11 if available, but fall back on DX9 if not, right?

    Keeping this on topic, I got a few screenshots in with the 10.8 ATI drivers, and while it might just been my imagination they do look a bit better than before.

  10. #330
    Dragoon Princess
    My Little Ixion

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,668
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Kaiyoko Star
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

    Quote Originally Posted by Arximiro View Post
    Is that the lvl 1 axe star or does it just look like it. I had thought you could make an Axe with B leather straps?
    I needed an Elm or ash axe haft but they removed it from the game for crafting.

  11. #331
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    585
    BG Level
    5

    Cjskater and Shido ohhh myyyyyy


    Ill see you two sluts soon

  12. #332
    They're just like us
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,816
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Question: was there an option to take screen shots in the beta?

  13. #333
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,288
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Arximiro Dragonheart
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

    Quote Originally Posted by Apelila View Post
    Question: was there an option to take screen shots in the beta?
    No, Fraps Only.

  14. #334
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,076
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

    Quote Originally Posted by Arximiro View Post
    No, Fraps Only.
    Or you could use the Print Screen button that comes on every keyboard...

  15. #335
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    12,852
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    That's a bother though, have to save every image then, can't take pics one after another

  16. #336
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,288
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Arximiro Dragonheart
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyree View Post
    Or you could use the Print Screen button that comes on every keyboard...
    Oh really? I think only 100% of people know that thanks. That wasn't his question.

  17. #337
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    70
    BG Level
    2

  18. #338
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,288
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Arximiro Dragonheart
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

    Shit is crazy old. If you can locate the stats on them so we know if they are worth it, that would be new.

  19. #339
    New Spam Forum
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    174
    BG Level
    3
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

    I can see them being charges for some reason! XD

  20. #340
    They call me Lord Null for a reason.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,933
    BG Level
    8

    I hope they are. Cause, well cause I can't have em.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 401
    Last Post: 2013-08-28, 09:16
  2. Open Beta Screenshots
    By Falisa in forum FFXIV: Media
    Replies: 354
    Last Post: 2010-09-21, 18:48