My sound is really screwy. In cutscenes, the main person talking has no sound but I can hear music/effects/other people.
Also after playing for a while, ffxiv kills all pc sounds until I shut it down, and sometimes even till after that. Any ideas?
Well there is 1 issue with the logic of "skill points" from stuff...
(this is lv20+ stuff not lower)
(this is excluding spamming buffs/healing)
Most skill is from "damage done to targets".
Lets say for instance, you fight a green con mob... like a firefly
since its low hp + def, and dies fast you may get 200-300exp and 60-140 class exp
Now lets say we get a green con elemental with obscene defense
it has low hp but insane defense, killing this will give 1000-1600exp and class exp of like 600-800
same level mob,just.. wtf with the exp.
Now apply this to a guildleve and have a caster spam on elementals which 75% the Lv 30 leve's have, you get insane leve exp while the melee get near nothing
strange exp system? yes rewarding? to casters yes, not to melee ... on elementals anyway (unless they solo it).
Want to test this out, go kill a sea puk gives maybe 200-300 exp at lv 23, 120-160 class exp. Go kill a elemental in ch (like ones at the end of some crab leve) it gives 4-5X that amount of exp, that a therm/conj can kill 4-5 X faster then the puk. (unless they fixed it its pretty crazy exp still)
Now on the subject of mob defense vs how much exp you get... casters spamming some form of aoe (which does alot) on a leve = lots of exp (if they live) compared to melee which don't get much because mob defense cuts back on their class exp gain. While casters either get.. 100% damage or 0 full resist.
Notice the trend casters doing fine and getting ton of leve exp vs melee not getting much now if you look through this thread? thats the reason right there
sort of reminds me of RagnarokOnline's "MVP" system where someone (aka a high lvl) can "ninja" your loot (aka exp) by blasting crap downThis isn't exactly... too party friendly of a exp system... it pretty much promotes solo play as you get the most doing it, or duo
reading the beta forums this afternoon actually made me realize something.
the surplus system is designed to make me switch to another class, but the way the stat allocation system works effectively limits what I'm even able to change to. I don't know why I'd switch from a War class to a Magic one if I knew I'd have to deal with not only my inadequate stat distribution, but also the eventual surplus nightmare... when I think about it that way, it only makes me want to log off and call it a day even more.
Yep, that's why no matter what kind of bonus they give to promote party play, unless they change the random way in which class skill is gained grouping up for exp is just going to suck.
It's not about teamwork, it's about who can mash abilities the fastest to steal potential class EXP away from the other party members. It's fucking retarded.
Just make class exp static like physical exp. Have an even con mob give 600py and 300class (just an example) solo every time and then balance from there.
I'm thinking the negative effect of Surplus is more pronounced because of the bugged exp earlier in phase 3. Has anyone started over since they fixed that bug?
Or is fatigue just completely random.
From what i ve seen
its more like dmg done or dmg % done, and level of mob vs your level. you could theoretically get huge skill ups on a high level mob, if you can do good dmg, but its pretty hard to achieve that. Sooo you get better exp when you attack things that are weak to your weapon/attack type. Fly for example let you do pretty big dmg to them for thier level, but they have low hp, still its pretty good exp for its level because they die fast. The main problem with the dmg thing, is random rolls, cause you could do a super, if that procs a skill up it will be way bigger than normal, however if it doesnt thats less hp for the mob.
All in all it aint that bad in the long run, it tends to average out, but the lack of high level weapons for melee messes it up, means that your getting less skill for a longer fight, and since they increased the drop off for fighting weaker mobs, you basically dont have much place to go. Not only that, but tanks lose exp because they cant proc weapon parry as much on low level weapons. Your weap is really important to gains when your a melee.
Play a non-mage class, Celeras.
Edit: Specifically one with accuracy issues. I already know all about how broken mages are in relation to other classes in terms of skillups, since magic hits so hard and so accurately. Funny how it was the exact opposite in Alpha and P1. I can already see the pendulum of nerfs/buffs swinging wildly come launch, especially in a game where class XP is derived from damage dealt/damage recovered to another target.
I think Ive been playing the wrong class all day.
Everything on Marauder hit me for 60-70 damage on average and do 60-70 damage on average. Change to Pugilist same things hit me for 30-40 and I do 30-40 damage on average. Change to Archer they barely hit me at all and I do 60-70 damage on average. All at Physical Level 9 with the same stats.
I should try mage now since they seem to be the big winners.
I'd like to actually be able to find mobs. Picked Golbez thinking the one chocobo icon meant low population, but lol that. I know part of it's beta rush, but there's gonna be some nasty first impressions come retail if everyone is running around for 3 minutes or more hoping to find something to kill that won't actually kill them.
What they need to do is get rid of all the Aldegoats and Dodos in the immediate starting area and replace them with killable mobs. Its ridiculous that everyone has to fight over the same 10 wharf rats and 7 sewer moles with the odd leve mob and firefly sprinkled in.
Once you can kill Puk Hatchlings easily though you're pretty golden. Those are the only mobs I was able to find.
in all honesty, with proper weapons its pretty fine, and though its random, it averages out to be pretty consistent for a few levels. Main prob is in parties, mages and archers rape everything in seconds, the stuff they can rape usually kills people, in best case scenario with current exp system, you might be able to get a lot of physical and similar skill if you were fighting lots of groups.
starter people, you should also head south, it has mobs appropriate for like levels 3-10 as well the area that sisupu shows you when you start off.
you can also get pretty far sharing leves, and move to the level 10 leves early if your in a group
Had a real problem with this earlier. Could not find any rats anywhere. When I did once I went through the 5 minute long target-engage ritual someone else had already claimed it. It's gonna be like camping Fafnirs again unless they add more mobs at retail. (granted the population will spread to other nations but still)
What I found to be interesting (what I mean is aggravating) is that just 10 seconds outside of puk hatchlings, moles, dodo's and rams/sheep......is biasts and jackals. One hit me for 1300 points of damage. While, that's fine that I got one shotted....why are those mobs that close to rank 1 quest mobs? Design flaw? Intent?
Also, on that same note, if those mobs hit for 1k+ damage, what level would you need to be to kill them? Max level?
I can't even figure out how to get through that gate at the very beginning of the game. I've spoke to every NPC in the area. Is it punishing me for naming my character Sephiroth Leonhart?
Talk to Hob, pick the second option
Oh right. I spoke to him earlier and picked the first option.
Any idea why fullscreen mode won't work for me? It just gives a DirectX error on start up. Window mode runs fine.
PS. I don't plan to call my character that in the retail version, I've yet to come up with a surname for what I plan to go with.