Posted by Drew-Remenda
I DON’T CARE ! I rarely utter, write or even think those words when it comes to a hockey issue, but I officially couldn’t give a rat’s behind on headshots, dirty hits and concussions.
Callous and unfeeling you say? How can I be so unfeeling? The simple answer is, if the players don’t care, then why should I? Why should you?
It is like we tell our kids; your actions speak louder than your words. Well, the actions of the NHL players are screaming a message of contempt and a remorseless outlook for each other.
The latest headline grabbing transgression comes from Zdeno Chara of the Boston Bruins. Chara, the 6’9” monster defenceman, ran Max Pacioretty of the Montreal Canadiens head-first into the glass partition that separates the two benches. Pacioretty’s head snapped back and the Canadiens forward slammed violently to the ice. He laid on the ice as the Bell Centre crowd fell silent. Chara was given a 5 minute interference penalty and a game misconduct. After several minutes and great care by doctors and training staff, Max Pacioretty was wheeled off the ice and rushed to a nearby hospital. Reports are good that the young man is going to be OK. As OK as you can be with a fractured vertebrae. But he won’t be back on the ice anytime soon.
So now, Mike Murphy has to try and read the mind of Zdeno Chara. The league’s Vice President of Hockey Operations will determine supplemental discipline. Because Colin Campbell’s son Gregory plays for the Bruins, no matter what decision is made it will be the wrong one. Fans and pundits will argue the suspension length and nothing will change. No message will be sent because the players aren’t accepting any calls at this time.
If the players truly cared something would have changed by now. After the lockout the NHL changed the rules on obstruction and the players adjusted.
The style of play has changed. Players have to block shots, grind along the boards and play a more physically taxing defensive game and they have changed to the demands of their coaches. But for some reason they can’t resist trying to tear their opponents head off.
So from now on, I’m out! I will no longer condemn, fret about or defend dangerous hits because it is an exercise in futility. I will no longer try to read a players intent. I will no longer argue with other so called experts about player positioning on the rink and roll my eyes at the “ya gotta keep your head up” arguments. It doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter what the media, broadcasters and fans do or say. The players simply don’t get it or don’t want to get it, which I think is closer to the truth. So have at it boys, knock yourselves out, literally!