1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 8 hours, 18 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 15 hours, 41 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 6 days, 1 hours, 18 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 8 hours, 41 minutes
Page 176 of 262 FirstFirst ... 126 166 174 175 176 177 178 186 226 ... LastLast
Results 3501 to 3520 of 5229
  1. #3501
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,293
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by TacoTaru View Post
    It's not always those buttons, it depends on what the button does.

    Autorun+confirm is enemy
    Autorun+cancel is party
    Autorun+menu is friendly
    Autorun+ emote menu is all

    I'm not actually sure what the emote menu button is called, but it's the one you press quickly access the chocobo. For me L2+R2 is all.
    Yea forgot not everyone (even me) uses the default controls.

    And good thing they got rid of the emote button for the micro-menu, would have been annoying as all hell reaching for the mouse every time you want to call your choco.

  2. #3502
    Melee Summoner
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    25
    BG Level
    1
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Dunemaul

    Quote Originally Posted by Fereydoon View Post
    So, currently a level 10 CNJ, misc other lesser things. All the gear in the ward in Ul'Dah is expensive. >_> Should I just be buying npc gear for awhile? I also read selling shards/crystals is a good way to make money, but no ones bought them yet, and I can't stick my retainer in the Crystalier's ward because it's packed, should I just npc them?
    You can put your retainer in any ward you want afaik, When players search for the item they will see yours if its in the top 20 cheapest, and which ward you are standing in.
    Also I dont think gear is so important on those levels. I leveled my first job to 50 in not so great gear. Just try and find the cheapeast gear you can find. I noticed that just the extra def from optimal level items helped me alot when healing. Try and get exp partys asap when you are closing in on 20!

  3. #3503
    New Spam Forum
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    180
    BG Level
    3
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

    Quote Originally Posted by tobbenlobben View Post
    You can put your retainer in any ward you want afaik, When players search for the item they will see yours if its in the top 20 cheapest, and which ward you are standing in.
    Also I dont think gear is so important on those levels. I leveled my first job to 50 in not so great gear. Just try and find the cheapeast gear you can find. I noticed that just the extra def from optimal level items helped me alot when healing. Try and get exp partys asap when you are closing in on 20!
    I think post 1.19 gear actually matters at lower levels. I have been told that lvl 1-20 gear is pretty cheep at NPC's but I'm not sure.

    Don't NPC crystals/shards. I made an amazing amount of money selling them when I first started out 3-4 months ago.

    Also Feredoon, are you bazzaring them with a retainer in the market wards? If you are not, you don't have to have the retainer in the crystal row, you can have them wherever in the wards. Putting them in the crystals ward just reduces the tax deduction you get when you sell them.

  4. #3504
    Melee Summoner
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    25
    BG Level
    1
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Dunemaul

    Ofcourse gear always helps but its not really mandatory. It went 10 times better for me as conjurer/thau with random guildleve reward gear than for the decked out JP with reactions like a dead bluewhale. If ya can find gear. But its not gonna be gamebreaking and you are not going to get kicked from partys for not having optimal gear for your level at 20-40.

    I started playing again after 1.19 hit so not really sure how it was before.

  5. #3505
    The Spooniest of Bards
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,676
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Lucian Esperance
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

    Quote Originally Posted by Marihoki View Post
    I think post 1.19 gear actually matters at lower levels. I have been told that lvl 1-20 gear is pretty cheep at NPC's but I'm not sure.

    Don't NPC crystals/shards. I made an amazing amount of money selling them when I first started out 3-4 months ago.

    Also Feredoon, are you bazzaring them with a retainer in the market wards? If you are not, you don't have to have the retainer in the crystal row, you can have them wherever in the wards. Putting them in the crystals ward just reduces the tax deduction you get when you sell them.
    Yeah, I have them in the Tinkerer's Ward in Ul'Dah currently, on a retainer. I had attempted to put him in the crystal ward, but there seems to be some type of limit, place is packed with tons of materia bazaars, and I get the "You cannot summon anymore retainers here", or some such, message.

    Nice to know gear won't matter as much for a bit, I'll just get whatever the NPC near the Guildleve counter sells me.

  6. #3506
    green jellybean
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,024
    BG Level
    6
    Blog Entries
    3

    Quote Originally Posted by Fereydoon View Post
    So, currently a level 10 CNJ, misc other lesser things. All the gear in the ward in Ul'Dah is expensive. >_> Should I just be buying npc gear for awhile? I also read selling shards/crystals is a good way to make money, but no ones bought them yet, and I can't stick my retainer in the Crystalier's ward because it's packed, should I just npc them?
    Don't NPC them, go into the tinkerer's ward with them, or some other ward when you are selling something else. Things tend to take a very long time to sell. If you have friends or LS mates they can easily craft you level 10 gear. There aren't enough lower level players that there isn't a ton of demand for lower level gear so people don't sell it. Keeping an updated weapon is most important, armor is nice to have.

  7. #3507
    New Odin
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8,825
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Fereydoon View Post
    Yeah, I have them in the Tinkerer's Ward in Ul'Dah currently, on a retainer. I had attempted to put him in the crystal ward, but there seems to be some type of limit, place is packed with tons of materia bazaars, and I get the "You cannot summon anymore retainers here", or some such, message.
    Yep this is annoying, but the stands have only a day's lease so chances are you can park your retainer there. It also doesn't matter much which ward you decide to sell your shards in, of course the tax will be higher but that's not too big of an issue.

    Just set your prices according to how many shards you're selling. If you have only 50 to sell for the same price per unit as someone selling 999 then it's less likely you will sell them...

    I can't say why your shit isn't selling though, shards are always the fastest to go for me. I just put them up for roughly the same price as the cheapest shards available and they usually sell in a couple of hours.

    Gear tends to be quite cheap nowadays from what I've noticed. You can spend all your fortunes on them easily but I think even 50k can take you quite far these days.

    IMO there are items that can be worth while to NPC directly. Aside from some relevant crafting items I could make use of I'll just NPC most of my shit that's worth more than 100g a unit.

  8. #3508
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,503
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

    Anyone fancy explaining how to tank with gladiator? I'm going to have to start levelling it soon just to get it to 50.

  9. #3509
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    719
    BG Level
    5

    Cadence + Provoke, Taunt, War Drum, War Monger are your big hate abilities. Heavy Slash, Heavy Stab for getting hate initially. Invigorate, Secondwind (I or II), Cure (II or III), Aegis Shield, Deflection, Bloodbath (I or II) + Riot Blade for healing, avoiding dmg, and getting HP from WS. Cross class WS such as Jaring Strike II for hate. Featherfoot, Forsight, type moves for dodging enemy attacks. Sentinel, Iron Will, Defender (I or II), Rampart II, Obsess II, and more for mitigating dmg taken. Raise or Resurect for rasing fallen friends. Intimidate and other R36 job traits as needed. You will need to change up your ability selection depending on the type of fighting you will be doing, but in general the job is fairly easy once you lvl every other job 36 or 48.

  10. #3510
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    19,023
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Cooleko View Post
    Cadence + Provoke, Taunt, War Drum, War Monger are your big hate abilities. Heavy Slash, Heavy Stab for getting hate initially. Invigorate, Secondwind (I or II), Cure (II or III), Aegis Shield, Deflection, Bloodbath (I or II) + Riot Blade for healing, avoiding dmg, and getting HP from WS. Cross class WS such as Jaring Strike II for hate. Featherfoot, Forsight, type moves for dodging enemy attacks. Sentinel, Iron Will, Defender (I or II), Rampart II, Obsess II, and more for mitigating dmg taken. Raise or Resurect for rasing fallen friends. Intimidate and other R36 job traits as needed. You will need to change up your ability selection depending on the type of fighting you will be doing, but in general the job is fairly easy once you lvl every other job 36 or 48.
    Can't believe you forgot Accomplice. And Outmanoeuvre is actually good now for the increased block rate.

  11. #3511
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,503
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

    Quote Originally Posted by Cooleko View Post
    Cadence + Provoke, Taunt, War Drum, War Monger are your big hate abilities. Heavy Slash, Heavy Stab for getting hate initially. Invigorate, Secondwind (I or II), Cure (II or III), Aegis Shield, Deflection, Bloodbath (I or II) + Riot Blade for healing, avoiding dmg, and getting HP from WS. Cross class WS such as Jaring Strike II for hate. Featherfoot, Forsight, type moves for dodging enemy attacks. Sentinel, Iron Will, Defender (I or II), Rampart II, Obsess II, and more for mitigating dmg taken. Raise or Resurect for rasing fallen friends. Intimidate and other R36 job traits as needed. You will need to change up your ability selection depending on the type of fighting you will be doing, but in general the job is fairly easy once you lvl every other job 36 or 48.
    Good post, you covered the list of abilities quite well. I've been slacking with the class quests however. One big concern is how to deal with multiple mobs. I've partied with a lot of "bad" tanks at strongholds and I can see why it's hard to keep hold of all the mobs.

  12. #3512
    The Spooniest of Bards
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,676
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Lucian Esperance
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

    Couple crafting questions. Goldsmith is currently 9, I get Epiphany at 10, wiki says instant cast/recast, couldn't I use that for every action? And question about the orb colors, I know white means I have a fairly high chance of success, but what are the tiers for the other lights? At the moment Yellow seems to be screwing me the most.

  13. #3513
    Cardiac Cat
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    11,604
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

    Quote Originally Posted by Fereydoon View Post
    Couple crafting questions. Goldsmith is currently 9, I get Epiphany at 10, wiki says instant cast/recast, couldn't I use that for every action? And question about the orb colors, I know white means I have a fairly high chance of success, but what are the tiers for the other lights? At the moment Yellow seems to be screwing me the most.
    Abilities can only be used once per craft.

    From highest success rate to lowest = white orb -> yellow -> red -> flashing. It's somewhere on lodestone.

  14. #3514
    The Spooniest of Bards
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,676
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Lucian Esperance
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

    What abilities should I pick up from the other DoH's?

  15. #3515
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    12,852
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Preserve from 10 Alchemist is very hot

  16. #3516
    the whitest knight u' know
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    15,485
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    Preserve (10 ALC), Hand of the Gods (36 ALC), and Perfection (36 CRP) are the absolute best ones, in my opinion. I think there might be one or two others that might be worthy of mentioning, but your choice of 4~5 will probably be based on the type of recipe and whether or not you're pushing for High-Quality.

  17. #3517
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,117
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    a little while ago i noticed a 50 THM pl'ing a 35 CNJ (or maybe it was the other way around). i wasn't watching directly but basically someone was piling up a huge train while the high level aoe'd them.

    i assume that it has to be the low level piling up the train (otherwise how else would he get exp), but how can someone survive that long while aggroing so many monsters at one time? anyone done this before?

  18. #3518
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,076
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

    Quote Originally Posted by kisada View Post
    a little while ago i noticed a 50 THM pl'ing a 35 CNJ (or maybe it was the other way around). i wasn't watching directly but basically someone was piling up a huge train while the high level aoe'd them.

    i assume that it has to be the low level piling up the train (otherwise how else would he get exp), but how can someone survive that long while aggroing so many monsters at one time? anyone done this before?
    The low level person invites the high level into the group, then the high level person pulls all the mobs, when all the mobs have been pulled you kick the high level person out of the group and the mobs stay claimed to the low level person. High level person nukes them down, low level person gets crazy exp.

  19. #3519
    the whitest knight u' know
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    15,485
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    I think the low-level person or party should load up on buffs cast by the high-level mage (Stoneskin/Protect/etc.) and then spam some abilities like Rampart and Sentinel in order to survive the first bunch of claims. After they take some damage, a Cure III will pretty much pull them all off the lowbie for the PLer to deal with.

    As long as the lowbie claims them, they get the exp/items no matter who kills.

    edit: beat, they both work but I guess this way is a little more risky and slightly less efficient. Heh.

  20. #3520
    But I don't want my title changed
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,486
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    I have a 50gld friend power leveling me, what's a good camp? We're doing eyes in nanawa but they keep petrifying him :/

Page 176 of 262 FirstFirst ... 126 166 174 175 176 177 178 186 226 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3796
    Last Post: 2013-08-17, 13:29
  2. FFXIV Random Speculation/Question Thread X: "Social life ends tonight."
    By Kurokikaze in forum FFXIV: Archive of the Betas
    Replies: 1982
    Last Post: 2010-09-25, 12:49