PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy 12 :OMG Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Anyway
2006-10-25, 14:14
Just got home from the store where I got it. So excited. God I hope it's amazing.

solsovly
2006-10-25, 14:15
Thought it was being released on the 31st? Or are you a member of the extended press?

SephYuyX
2006-10-25, 14:15
Wait.. how the hell did you get it? Release isnt til the 31st?

Rescue
2006-10-25, 14:19
I know it's being shiped early so that all the stores had it when they opened on the 31st, but I thought they couldn't sell it till the 31st.

Jeryhn
2006-10-25, 14:28
Just got home from the store that I work at where I stole it.

Sushi accuracy!

Demosthenes
2006-10-25, 14:35
lulz, thank you hdloader... been playing for over a week

Po
2006-10-25, 14:40
Well you better tell us if it's amazing or not!

Anyway
2006-10-25, 14:40
The store isn't a chain store, it's a private video game store and I've been going there for years now so he hooked me up. :D

Edit: So far, opening cinema was friggin sweet. Battle system is so much like FF11. Auto attack and shit.

Avé
2006-10-25, 14:43
Edit: So far, opening cinema was friggin sweet. Battle system is so much like FF11. Auto attack and shit.

I'm expecting a full report on my desk by the end of the day.

Anyway
2006-10-25, 15:09
I'll just update the first post with any info

Lbelle
2006-10-25, 15:56
wow. jealous.

-Omni
2006-10-25, 16:11
Luckyyy.

Does Vaan walk with a limp wrist?

solsovly
2006-10-25, 16:17
lulz, thank you hdloader... been playing for over a week

CS still skip on HDLoader?

Ace-o-fire
2006-10-25, 16:21
how big is like stuff, Mostly zones and the world?

Anyway
2006-10-25, 16:30
I dont feel like updating the first post every time, too occupied playing.

how big is like stuff, Mostly zones and the world?
Ummm, so far pretty big. Zones are kind of split up, you know when you zone cause there's these blue dots. But loading from zone to zone is only a few seconds.

Does Vaan walk with a limp wrist?
Am I missing something? lol

Monsters kind of are just around. They agro, you attack them. You get training points which you use to attain licenses which basically allow you to equip more different types of items and allows you to learn magic when you get em. Though kinda scares me cause I dont wanna pick the wrong ones then miss something good. :oops: I did a huntwhich was cool, kind of like finding an NM lol. Hadda run around the zone til I found it.

Overall so far: Wish he had a shirt on. Other than that, game's fuckin great.

Po
2006-10-25, 16:52
That is cool.
As far as the licenses and Hunts, EGM touched on both of those in their reviw.
They said that for the licenses at the beginning of the game you should stick to basic abilities and moves, do not use points for big new weapons or whatnot since they won't be useful until late in the game anyway.
As far as Hunts they said it was a cool concept and that it will continue all game, but that "the juice isn't worth the squeeze". It is a lot of running around the rewards aren't very good.

Anyway
2006-10-25, 17:37
Just had my first boss fight and now I say:

EPIC GAME OF EPIC PROPORTIONS

Po
2006-10-25, 17:55
How are the characters?

Anyway
2006-10-25, 17:58
Vann is typical. Baltheir is kinda cool, he talks like V. The weird rabbit chick is okay.

Kross
2006-10-25, 18:37
can you play online?

Ishido
2006-10-25, 18:41
Vann is typical. Baltheir is kinda cool, he talks like V. The weird rabbit chick is okay.

Awesome. I can't wait to play this now lol

DeadLegend
2006-10-25, 18:54

>.>? explain preez

Po
2006-10-25, 18:57
My guess is he means that he talks like to main character from V for Vendetta

Eaglestrike
2006-10-25, 19:13
That is cool.
They said that for the licenses at the beginning of the game you should stick to basic abilities and moves, do not use points for big new weapons or whatnot since they won't be useful until late in the game anyway.
As far as Hunts they said it was a cool concept and that it will continue all game, but that "the juice isn't worth the squeeze". It is a lot of running around the rewards aren't very good.

I read that article and saw that line and was like "See...that's how FF's are, not just FFXI lol"

I might pick this up soon if it's that good <.< Might want to finish Mandau first, though...

Anyway
2006-10-25, 19:25
That is cool.

I read that article and saw that line and was like "See...that's how FF's are, not just FFXI lol"

I might pick this up soon if it's that good <.< Might want to finish Mandau first, though...
Get it. Oh my god get it.

Aviendha
2006-10-25, 20:19
Overall so far: Wish he had a shirt on. Other than that, game's fuckin great.

Can't wait to play this, but have to agree with that sentiment ALOT haha. Dunno what it is with JP culture and their obsession with blond feminine heroes :\
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a106/Aviendha7/ffxiiHG.jpg

Xsaintx-Siren
2006-10-25, 20:25
I thought the game ships on the 31st?

Siegtaru
2006-10-25, 20:26
To the poster above...
The store isn't a chain store, it's a private video game store and I've been going there for years now so he hooked me up. :D

Groovebox
2006-10-25, 20:44
I guess it pays to suck off the gamestop/ebgames managers :(

/isjealous

miokomioko
2006-10-25, 20:46
Dunno what it is with JP culture and their obsession with blond feminine heroes :\

Been like that for a loooooooong time. I don't get why people are whining about it now.

Tekki
2006-10-25, 20:49
Im not allowed to say that Im 15 hrs into this game and its quite possibly the most fun Ive had on a console in years.

Vobent
2006-10-25, 20:57
HAAAAAAAAADO GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEI WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
wwwww

Takeno
2006-10-25, 20:58
6 days to go! I'm dying :(

Mizango
2006-10-25, 21:12
6 days to go! I'm dying :(

You too? The excitement I can almost pratically hear does not seem to be helping much. :cry:

DeadLegend
2006-10-25, 21:29
Are there any connections/references to FFT Advance so far besides the world and its races?

Eaglestrike
2006-10-25, 21:54
Are there any connections/references to FFT Advance so far besides the world and its races?

...or FFT?

Devek
2006-10-25, 21:56
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a106/Aviendha7/ffxiiHG.jpg

Lol.

Vobent
2006-10-25, 21:56
FFTA should never. EVER be spoken.
FFT onry.

Mizango
2006-10-25, 21:58
I agree, FFT is pure win. Personally my favorite out the entire series, well, besides VII.

Xavier
2006-10-25, 21:58
Great game, or the greatest game?

DeadLegend
2006-10-25, 22:01
As I remember there ain't lizard men, rabbit chicks, and nu mous, judges, and a world called Ivalice in the original FFT, hence my asking about connections to advance.

Djohn
2006-10-25, 22:08

Indeed, that is pure win. :D

>.>? explain preez
Watch this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ZA9OLcBFo) I think you'll understand...

Edit: Check this one out too. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzFsG6J-DaU&mode=related&search=)

archibaldcrane
2006-10-25, 22:19
As I remember there ain't lizard men, rabbit chicks, and nu mous, judges, and a world called Ivalice in the original FFT, hence my asking about connections to advance.

Rest of that shit, don't think so. But it sure as hell is called Ivalice.

I'm getting really stoked about FFXII. FFT was, in my opinion, one of the best video games ever made, despite it's deep flaws. The Ramza/Delita dichotomy, the way that right and wrong are all about point of view, and how you save the world at the end but you aren't really lauded as heroes, and the same petty, classist, powermongering activities still continue are incredible and long overdue additions to most videogame stories.

Mizango
2006-10-25, 22:25

Rest of that shit, don't think so. But it sure as hell is called Ivalice.

I'm getting really stoked about FFXII. FFT was, in my opinion, one of the best video games ever made, despite it's deep flaws. The Ramza/Delita dichotomy, the way that right and wrong are all about point of view, and how you save the world at the end but you aren't really lauded as heroes, and the same petty, classist, powermongering activities still continue are incredible and long overdue additions to most videogame stories.

Amen.

DeadLegend
2006-10-25, 22:26
Remembered it being called Earth >_> wtf was I thinking of?

Question remains, I'm wondering about the presence of laws in FFXII

Eaglestrike
2006-10-25, 22:33
Remembered it being called Earth >_> wtf was I thinking of?

Question remains, I'm wondering about the presence of laws in FFXII

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/fft/inf ... criptb.txt (http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/fft/info/fft_scriptb.txt)

I am Alazlam, a scholar of ancient Ivalice history...

Have you ever heard of the “Lion War”?

It divided Ivalice in two over who
would be the successor to the throne.

Avé
2006-10-25, 22:35
How's the Voice Acting? That's all I'm worried about.

Anyway
2006-10-25, 22:47
All of the above are in the game. Judges are so fucking awesome looking.

Voice acting is better than most games. I think it's really good. Think that's more of an opinion thing though.

So far, this is the best FF I've played in a long time. I can't say it's the best eveeeer until I get farther/beat it. I don't think I'm that far yet, Idk 8 or so hours.

deviousone
2006-10-25, 22:53
I think the game is amazing, a nice fast paced battle system, the game has a ffxi feel where your using your tanks to point mobs away from healers (breathes and other status stuff) and kiting to get the aoe to only land on yourself.

The story has a nice touch, isn't a cheesy love story. A cool story about war between empires.

My ending time was 95 hours, but I got all the hidden espers and did all the Mob hunts (which I recommend for the real difficulty of the game).

won't say much more so i don't spoil any shit.

Mizango
2006-10-25, 22:58
I think the game is amazing, a nice fast paced battle system, the game has a ffxi feel where your using your tanks to point mobs away from healers (breathes and other status stuff) and kiting to get the aoe to only land on yourself.

The story has a nice touch, isn't a cheesy love story. A cool story about war between empires.

My ending time was 95 hours, but I got all the hidden espers and did all the Mob hunts (which I recommend for the real difficulty of the game).

won't say much more so i don't spoil any shit.

:cry: h8u.

Stilgar
2006-10-25, 23:01
manboy-love Vaan turned me off this game for the longest time (and I still hate >< the way he looks), but the game itself is looking friggin' sweet. I just hope I own a TV by the 31st. :lol:

Mizango
2006-10-25, 23:04
manboy-love Vaan turned me off this game for the longest time (and I still hate >< the way he looks), but the game itself is looking friggin' sweet. I just hope I own a TV by the 31st. :lol:

LOL

deviousone
2006-10-26, 03:49

I liked them, only one persons voice was annoying and that was the narrators. And frans voice will sound weird to you at first, but i started to find it exotic :lol:

Cesaria
2006-10-26, 04:17
I hate you all.

*waits till March 2007 while considering emigration*

edgarfigaro
2006-10-26, 06:20
FFTA should never. EVER be spoken.
FFT onry.

FFTA was a fucking awesome little game.

Syn
2006-10-26, 07:48
So it's FFXI without all the retards and gilsellers?

Eaglestrike
2006-10-26, 08:04

Or friends.

Takeno
2006-10-26, 08:05

Or friends.

And no LFPing too :P

Kenai
2006-10-26, 08:07
Only thing I dont really like about it is while all 5 of the different races are present in the game, you get a bunch humans and a Viera, the rest seemed to kinda get pushed aside. I've been wanting a moogle buddy in a mainstream FF game since FF6 . :(

P.S. Just because FFT was the shit doesn't mean FFTA was bad. It was amazing, actually, the combat system and basic classes were far more balanced and fun, the story just didn't have the POW! of the first.

Daahan
2006-10-26, 09:08
I preorderd it but when I get it I can't play it until mid-December.

DAMN YOU RESEARCH PAPERS AND FINALS. DAMN YOU.

Koul
2006-10-26, 09:30
Thus far is it the type of game where you should try to balance everyone out "lvl" wise? Or can I just use ashe, penelo and the viera the whole time and be okay with bosses n' stuff

Borisan
2006-10-26, 09:40
Found this:

http://home.comcast.net/~jhunwung/LicenseGrid.png

Basically a really good looking layout of an English version of the License Table..don't know really how it works or where you start from though.

Moochi
2006-10-26, 09:54
Found this:

Basically a really good looking layout of an English version of the License Table..don't know really how it works or where you start from though.

More fun to discover it yourself I think.

Po
2006-10-26, 10:28
Only 4 days to go :lol:
All this reaction is really a good thing. I was worried after reading the EGM review since they said the battle mechanics were not all that good. I wonder if we just will all like it since we are ffxi'ers, but people whose last FF they played was FFX-2 will hate it? I have a feeling this might be the next FFVIII in that you either love it or hate it, and there is no inbetween.

Groovebox
2006-10-26, 10:39
After reading the PLAY magazine review, I'm totally sold... it got a 10/10, and I love that mag. Also, if anyone cares, Famitsu gave FFXII a 40/40.... which is a big thing I guess because ever since the mag has been around since 1986, only 6 games have ever gotten a perfect score.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)
2. Soul Calibur (Namco, for Dreamcast)
3. Vagrant Story (Squaresoft, for PlayStation)
4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Nintendo, for Nintendo GameCube)
5. Nintendogs (Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)
6. Final Fantasy XII (Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)

Games that received 39/40

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Nintendo, for Super Famicom)
2. Virtua Fighter 2 (Sega, for Saturn)
3. Ridge Racer Revolution (Namco, for PlayStation)
4. Super Mario 64 (Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)
5. Tekken 3 (Namco, for PlayStation)
6. Cyber Troopers Virtual On Oratorio Tangram (Sega, for Dreamcast)
7. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (Sony Computer Entertainment, for PlayStation 2)
8. Final Fantasy X (Square Co., Ltd., for PlayStation 2)
9. Resident Evil 4 (Capcom, for Nintendo GameCube)
10. Dragon Quest VIII (Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)
11. Gran Turismo 4 (Sony Computer Entertainment, for PlayStation 2)
12. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (Konami, for PlayStation 2)
13. Kingdom Hearts II (Square Enix and Buena Vista Games, for PlayStation 2)
14. Dead or Alive 4 (Tecmo, for Xbox 360)
15. Ōkami (Capcom, for PlayStation 2)

PussPuss
2006-10-26, 10:57
Not spoilers for FFXII, but spoilers for FFTA since theres so much hate for it.

From what I understood after beating FFTA Ivalice is a place where imaginations take life, in FFTA they read the magic book or whatever and that one kid's imagination was so strong it brought all the people he knew into Ivalice and brought his dead mother back to life. Ivalice was also used for Vagrant Story (I'm pretty positive this is the one) and FFT. Those 2 "worlds" didn't stay after the "real person" left that world, I thought of it like the world disapearing after the person reading the book is finished. The thing about FFTA is it was basically a prequel to FFXII because at the end of the game since all the "imaginary" characters that all the kids (I forget the names ><) became close with became real. After the kid who imagined it all left, a majority of the characters in ivalice disapeared. The ones that were left lived on and years later FFXII take place, which is why there are judges and the same races from FFTA. There was also a scene with the younger brother...but I forget exactly happened...I think he left the world later than everyone else or something but I think he was a main reason that the imaginary characters lived on.

FFTA wasn't the greatest game in the world, but the story was good if you paid attention. Then again I could have been completely wrong about all of it but that's what I took away from it after I finished the game.

Can't wait to play FFXII ><

Kaiseran
2006-10-26, 11:17

Or friends.

And no LFPing too :P

loldrg

Jeryhn
2006-10-26, 11:23
When it came to FFTA, only thing I didn't like was that it was a lot less strategic than its predescessor. First examle of disappointment: Black Mage spells were instant-cast, instead of charge cast.

Basically the game made it possible to pump your levels on jobs that increase your Speed til its out the ass, then switch to a naturally slow job, casting instant spells at an increased rate because you pumped the shit out of your Speed.

Not to mention, almost every job had some kind of shared ability with another job (I'm looking at you Air Render).

Sonomaa
2006-10-26, 11:32
orlandu from FFT was awesome, even though he basically was a cheat mode once you got him, he was one of the first characters Ive played the game with that inspired significant power but also seemed to demand respect
I enjoyed the hell out of him, he made the game more fun for me

also, if anyone remembers ogre battle, same world as I recall

Mr.City
2006-10-26, 11:38
Was I the only one who found the law system in FFTA annoying? Sure, it added a strategic dynamic at some points, but often more felt like a pain in the ass.

Eternus
2006-10-26, 11:40
Yeah the law system was only cool in a few instances. It was there to make up for the lack of difficulty imo. FFTA seemed easier w/o laws than FFT, the laws made the game more interesting in some aspects. By the time I beat FFTA, I hated the law system with a passion.

layoneil
2006-10-26, 11:46
also, if anyone remembers ogre battle, same world as I recall

different world, same creator.

Correction
2006-10-26, 12:16
Found this:

Every character starts off a little differently, and some of the 'quickening' slots won't be there for every character. That chart is also missing the summons. But it's not bad...

ghanima
2006-10-26, 12:19
I beat it about a week ago, I didn't do many of the optional things since I played mostly at work and at home when I could snag a kit to use. It was about 65 hours, I wasn't rushing through it.

It's overall very very good, one of the best games I've ever played, up there with Vagrant Story and FFT. That being said, after finishing it I think it could have been stronger story-wise in a few spots though this would have made an already very long game even longer.

Don't think I'm saying it's bad, because it really is great. Even if I thought parts were weak, the world and the detail they put into it far even that out. There is literally so much to do it's crazy, even if all you liked to do it max your characters that will take you a long time, and as I found the combat system fast and enjoyable it won't be the chore that it is in other FFs (FFX I'm looking at you).

There's the hunts, the obligatory optional bosses, optional espers (I only picked up one of them on my playthrough), final weapons, rare armor you can only get by stealing from one boss in the whole game that you can only fight once, everything other FFs had and more.

Really I can see someone wanting to fully complete the game taking a minimum of 200 hours. I'm really not joking or pulling that number out of nowhere. The best part is that what would have seemed tedious to do in a previous final fantasy is actually really fun in this one.

My only wish is that PS2 had HD support, because it looks like ass on my HDTV at work, but great on my normal TV w/S-Video at home. ><

Po
2006-10-26, 12:19
Was I the only one who found the law system in FFTA annoying? Sure, it added a strategic dynamic at some points, but often more felt like a pain in the ass.
You're avatar and sig are made of win.
For what it's worth I thought FFTA was lots of fun. I still need to play FFT.

ghanima
2006-10-26, 12:21
><

double post somehow.

Tekki
2006-10-26, 12:26
First off EGM has never given the truely good games any justice. I really cant stand that magazine anymore. They review everything like they've played everything under the sun and are sick of gaming. Even their letters to the editor are 75% complaints to their magazine and them trying to come up with something witty and insulting to say.

Anyways back to this game. The battle system is absolutely great, its ingenious. The gambit system lets you do so much. Your choice of how to play the game is limitless. Its VERY intuitive and you quickly pick up on it. Seriously you can say screw the gambit system all together and smash out orders at your leisure or you can go in full automatic mode. Think of it as a macro list that you have to expand upon with liscense and purchasing gambit lines from shops. Anyways, you can fo full manual all the way up to near automatic. Right now Im running around in full automatic and its great. Every time anyone in my PT aggros my group fights, and recovers afterward if needed.

The boss fights like the OP said, are simply amazing. And hard as hell but I love it! You cant rely on gambits so much, you can use a few but unless u de-activate some you can end up wasting mp/pots/lose to bad choices.

My favorite part of this game has to be the hunts. You go to a pub, and you can pick up hunts off a bulletin board. Basically a petioner will ask you to go to the wild and hunt something down. (One of the last ones is a KB hunt @.@)

Voice acting. Good, especially since ive seen such terrible acting in other games and previous FFs. The cinamatics are pretty sweet so far. Story line, if you liked FFT (NOT adv) youll love this one as well. Instead of concentrating on just one character or a group, the main story revolves around a conflict. No more spoilers but this is the biggest reason I loved FFT and I'm falling in love with this game for the same reason.

Overall let me put it this way. I find it hard for me to spend money on games you "beat" since I get enough of a gaming fix off online games like FFXI and online shooters. I really cant stand the FF series from I-X other then tactics and XI. I never play RPGs, can never get into them at all. But this has what I love about tactics, what i love about XI, doesnt include the things I hate about XI, and so many unique things, it sets itself apart from anything else Ive played. I said it earlier, Ill say it again, this is the most fun Ive had on a console in years, probably since Metroid Prime. You also could arguably spend as much time finding everything, doing all the secret missions/quests hunts, completing all the hunts, as any other MMO. Their is a massive amount of content in this game.

Don't want to slip and spoil anything else, I think you get what Im feeling here, especially if ur a FFT/FFXI fan. Ill shut up now XD... off to fight a Judge on an Airship @.@

Correction
2006-10-26, 12:42
A lot of the bosses are hard at first but then you begin to master the fight, much as you would in FFXI. That's part of the appeal to me. A fight that is really really really hard becomes possible with a certain amount of timing and trickiness, and the skills you learn early on are certainly no 'I win' buttons until the very very end when you have the godly gear the game offers then.

As a way of somewhat spoiler-example, the sewer boss was really kicking my ass. And then I woke up to the fact that it's on fire.

Almaa
2006-10-26, 12:59

the law system was dumb... I would just walk around the map until the laws didn't suck and then fight, the game itself was fun though, just to pass time.

Neosutra
2006-10-26, 14:32
Moooooooooooreee Details...

The rest of us are starved of it...

Zanz L. Barre The 3rd
2006-10-26, 14:39
fuck the battle system turned me off when i tried it out at E3, but damn how foolish of me to negate FFXII possibly good story.

deviousone
2006-10-26, 15:17
Thus far is it the type of game where you should try to balance everyone out "lvl" wise? Or can I just use ashe, penelo and the viera the whole time and be okay with bosses n' stuff

I found it very helpful to keep everyone lvl'd around the same lvl as you progressed, if your just doing storyline maybe its not worth it. But if your plan to do extra stuff like Espers and Mob hunts I'd recommend it.

For instance, [might be a very minor spoiler! don't look down@#$%%]

theres a boss named Yaizmat who takes literally 5-6 hours to kill (if your persistent). going into a fight with him with only 3 people lvl'd when he can nearly one shot your members is asking for a wipe.

Tekki
2006-10-26, 15:29
Spoiler about final hunt boss and strategy!!!

Ya I just picked up the hintbook for this game and it shows Yaizmat as having nearly 50M HP @.@. It did say you dont have to do the whole fight in one sitting.

edit: 50,112,254 to be excact......

Guyverarmor
2006-10-26, 15:54
I'm picking up my reserved copy tomorrow, EB called me today and told me my pre-order for FFXII is in. From what you guys have said, looks like I will enjoy this game very much :D :D

Osede
2006-10-26, 16:58
Spoiler below:

there are 2 boss that with super long HP. one about 10M hp(I played JP ver, dont know the name in english..), another one is Yaimat with 50M hp.

first one took about 3-6hrs to killed, but it is pretty easy and u can "kite" when it turn into rage phase lol

then the yaimat is very annoying when it become rage mode. The damage it did will become like double as usual. There is a aoe that usually did around 4k damage, will become 9k in the end (althought there is a spell and accessory that can bump your hp to double, and your hp can go over 10k). And the instant death took annoying especially when you out of its attack range. Took me about 3 days of fighting with at least 15 times zoning (you can see the number of times u zone in and out everytime u enter its zone XD)

well, after yaizmat still got omega mk3. Which I didnt really bother it after done the Yaizmat fight. Only try once and it did about 3-4k(should be) for normal damage on my "tank" =.=

then the final boss, you cant really say it is boss compare to those 3 above lol.... can set gambit that cast berserk, haste on one attacker then it will end in 30secs...

Maguspk
2006-10-26, 17:47
I'm picking up my reserved copy tomorrow, EB called me today and told me my pre-order for FFXII is in. From what you guys have said, looks like I will enjoy this game very much :D :D

wtf can they do that?

Tekki
2006-10-26, 18:11
Some vids of 2 boss. Nothing really spoiling about them. Its the JP version of the game.

You thought Omega in XI was hard lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9ObZ3hb ... ed&search= (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9ObZ3hbC4U&mode=related&search=)

Half way through Yazmat (50,112,000ish HP)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNGtHMVE ... ed&search= (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNGtHMVEXoo&mode=related&search=)

EDIT:

Ok I i was watching as i posted that Yazmat video. Holy FUCK. I guess he spent 8 hrs on the fight and gave up at 4m/50m b/c the thing regened like mad back up to 8.5m

And we thought Tiamat going zerg @1% was nuts the first time we fought it..

Anyway
2006-10-26, 19:25
Can one of you who beat it or is a little farther than me, pm me. I was doing great, then all of a sudden I have to fight not really a spolier but whatever, dont wanna ruin anything for anyone so spoilergarudaspoiler and he is brutally anal raping me. I won once but it was retarded, just spamming potions on 1 of my guys (used like 60) literally raising people to throw potions at him. I must be doing something wrong, or there's a trick or do I just need to level up even more?

BRP
2006-10-26, 19:33
First off EGM has never given the truely good games any justice. I really cant stand that magazine anymore. They review everything like they've played everything under the sun and are sick of gaming. Even their letters to the editor are 75% complaints to their magazine and them trying to come up with something witty and insulting to say.

This is not really true. EGM reviews(at least for big games) usually always has more than one point of view, even three at a time. For the most part, EGM did a lot of praising.

Anyway, there is this one editior... I think his name is Brian. He might just be the dumbest member the EGM team has ever seen. He has pissed me off on several occassions, he really is an eyesore. A giant moron. A game named Yakuza(I believe) made by the creators of Shenmue and was about the... Yakuza, the japanese mafia. I swear to god, he said one of the bad points of it was the confusing Japanese last names. He also said the storyline is really confusing and not worth thinking about, because storyline in videogames are not too important.

In the FFXIII, he said something like "This game's battle system is just as boring as the MMORPG FFXI. You just sit there and let the computer hack up the monsters for you", and then a moment later says "But it gets better as you level up and go deeper into the game". Wow~! He just described about every RPG battle system ever, including FFXI!

The other two were more positive if I can recall and EGM usually praises games that deserve it, unlike IGN which gave Godhand a 4 out of 10, which was pretty exaggerated at least.

Xavier
2006-10-26, 19:39
Two out of three of the EGM reviews were overly positive, and the third was, like you said, increadibly confusing.

Everyone seemed really happy with the story, I think they said it got a little confusing near the end, and referenced how FFT had a similar thing happen in its story.

Seems they had mixed feelings about the battle system, but that was a given going into the game for me anyway.

CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY GOD.

BRP
2006-10-26, 19:41
Everyone seemed really happy with the story, I think they said it got a little confusing near the end, and referenced how FFT had a similar thing happen in its story.

I think the FFT comment was made by "Brian" too. God damn it, I hate that guy.

Koul
2006-10-26, 20:02

I found it very helpful to keep everyone lvl'd around the same lvl as you progressed, if your just doing storyline maybe its not worth it. But if your plan to do extra stuff like Espers and Mob hunts I'd recommend it.

Hmmm... okay

I wanted to stay away from Vaan and the other ugly dude with the scar on his face or something but I can deal with it then

and jesusfreakingchrist 8hours .... that's intense

Anyway
2006-10-26, 20:19

Hmmm... okay

I wanted to stay away from Vaan and the other ugly dude with the scar on his face or something but I can deal with it then

lol yeah, not much else to do when you have an infection on your tailbone. One of the most painful things I've ever had, hands down. :cry:

Mizango
2006-10-26, 20:36

Hmmm... okay

lol yeah, not much else to do when you have an infection on your tailbone. One of the most painful things I've ever had, hands down. :cry:

Ouch, I can imagine.

Maguspk
2006-10-26, 21:07
So you basically set up a system of logic that the game follows for you and the battles are static to an extent? That's pretty kewl, that's a pretty new concept for me as far as video games go so it should be interesting. The whole idea of it being like ffxi where monsters walk around with you is the most interesting part though. And recovering after battles, this is such a kewl concept for rpgs, I'm glad FFXI lost the guy from mystwalker kind of, or else we wouldn't have ended up with such an innovative rpg. I am interested to see mystwalkers upcoming rpg tho; blue dragon, something or rather?

Rocl
2006-10-26, 21:17

Hmmm... okay

holyshit that sucks >_>
I've never even thought of being injured there before

Mr.City
2006-10-26, 21:22
To all those who've managed to sink a good amount of time into it already, notice any hiccups with the gambit system? I remember feeling slightly disconnected when playing the demo of it. I chauked it up to the characters seemly being too strong in the demo version since they couldn't pretty much take care of themselves without any help from you.

RanDom_ErrOr
2006-10-26, 21:32
gambits work very nicely once you figure out how to correctly use them...

Doom Dragon (6mil HP) was managable with Gambits alone with 3 chars...

(the first of 2 optional mega-bosses)

only thing i had to do was step in to toss up a high ether twice cuz i didnt have a gambit to do so XD

Tekki
2006-10-26, 21:35
Really its all on how u play it. You can go from one degree to another (fully manual to fully auto). My biggest reason I like the gambits is the possibility of, at the very least, micro managing various health issues that I honestly don't want to sweat in the heat of battle.

My only thing so far, and something I guess I would hint at trying to do when you play, is gaining some faith in the gambit system. To many times do I waste cures and pots or other meds when I already have gambits in place to cover my basese. lol I guess I get to stressed out when I see red HP XD

RanDom_ErrOr
2006-10-26, 21:46
you guys do know that having all 3 mist knacks unlocked on one character it tripples that character's MP pool, right?

i played through most of the game w/o having quickenings unlocked, then i decided to unlock them and realised how much of a fucking idiot i had been -_-;;;

but yeah, having a gambit for HP < 50% -- Curaja on all 3 of your characters with self haste protect shell & bubble kinda makes fights a little less stressful on the user when you're busy whacking away...

also, another tip / hint :
use wait time on boss fights, active time everywhere else, and since you can change config anytime, kinda nice...

deviousone
2006-10-27, 00:33
Yeah, basically only Gambits i used was cure gambit for 50%HP, a nice Steal gambit for making money, and Esuna and Remedy gambits. Everything else I worked on myself.

Towards the end of the game when you get Elemental weakness gambits, those are nice to use also

Xavier
2006-10-27, 00:57
Ironically, I pulled out my EGM w/ the review in it, and out of the three scores, 8.5, 9.0, 9.5, Bryan was the one who gave it a 9.0. Shane talked a lot more shit than he did, most of which made no sense at all because he consistantly contradicted himself a few lines later.

Shane : "The team's narrative track record ain't so hot -- FFT is borderline nonsense by its endgame...the story as a whole lacks the emotional punch you'd expect."

...Bryan actually gave the game a fkton of praise.

Bryan: "It all starts with the game's shockingly mature, politically driven narative...it's quite a departure from the established series norm...but it winds up being a much-welcomed change in story direction." "On combat...I completely buy into this quicker style of play for the everyday skirmishes...this PS2 title will even please, at least visually, those with next-gen FF firmly on the brain."

The one thing they all seem to mention is that the game has camera issues. Is it really an issue, or are we talking about a FFXI-style camera where you are just in control of rotating it w/ your character while you move?

Quicklet
2006-10-27, 01:05
My friend let me play the Japanese version of this today, and for about 10-15 minutes I ran around fighting. She said that she was over-leveled for that area, so the battles were pretty easy and I pretty much could just run around whacking the mobs without any worries.

My first impressions of combat was how nice it was to not have one of those stupid fadeaways which tend to make the concept of stat grinding even more abhorrent (an extra 5-10 seconds of waiting per battle gets old fast when you have to do it 1000x). I LOL'd when I saw "25 Chain!" pop up on my screen, and then realized how wimpy it was when my friend explained to me that it wasn't time based. The whole license board system looked really cool too. Overall, from the 10-15 minutes that I got to play, it made me want to buy the game pretty badly since it seemed like the advancement part of the game was pretty smoothly designed.

The one thing they all seem to mention is that the game has camera issues. Is it really an issue, or are we talking about a FFXI-style camera where you are just in control of rotating it w/ your character while you move?

Oh, during my time running around the area (dunno what area it was, but it had a lot of circular platforms that branched off), there was maybe one time where the camera got into a bad angle, zoomed in really close and I couldn't really see around me, BUT unless it gets like that a lot in tight spots, I don't see why that would be a problem since you have the mini-map available, it really didn't bug me the one time it happened.

Anyway
2006-10-27, 01:11
It's basically FFXI style. Kind of reminded me of Resident Evil when I first turned it on.

Lbelle
2006-10-27, 03:20
Didnt read the thread (dont wanna be spoiled by anything honestly) but for those of you that work at these retail stores is the game going to be OUT on the 31st, or is it going to be SHIPPED on the 31st and OUT on the 1st?

Please PM me about it, not checking back this thread. :)

Helpoemer
2006-10-27, 07:40
Can one of you who beat it or is a little farther than me, pm me. I was doing great, then all of a sudden I have to fight not really a spolier but whatever, dont wanna ruin anything for anyone so spoilergarudaspoiler and he is brutally anal raping me. I won once but it was retarded, just spamming potions on 1 of my guys (used like 60) literally raising people to throw potions at him. I must be doing something wrong, or there's a trick or do I just need to level up even more?

if you did the side quest to get the Ixilo Seed (can't remember proper english name, it's the item you get from those weird desert ppl after...something...happens) use the seed on garuda and it's an easy fight. gotta use magic/ranged attacks on it too since it's a flier

also, it took me 9 hours to kill Yazmat, and that "regen" isn't regen. Each big bar represents 1mil HP so when you take one bar down, the next bar comes up (there's little bars underneath the big bar).

Big Tip for these fights: when it gets crazy, just set gambits to cast Reverse + Decoy on one character. for Omega, you have to use this tactic right at the start or you'll die very quickly

EDIT: oh and the reward for these fights is shit lol not saying what it is though ¬_¬ apart from shit

Tekki
2006-10-27, 08:33
XI has kinda desensitized me to killing big things and getting disappointing drops :)

Xavier
2006-10-27, 08:37
Didnt read the thread (dont wanna be spoiled by anything honestly) but for those of you that work at these retail stores is the game going to be OUT on the 31st, or is it going to be SHIPPED on the 31st and OUT on the 1st?
I think somewhere in the thread the people who got the game early confirmed that it was already shipped to the retailers and ready to be put on the shelf on the 31st. They got their copy early because they know the right people.

Anyway
2006-10-27, 11:44

if you did the side quest to get the Ixilo Seed (can't remember proper english name, it's the item you get from those weird desert ppl after...something...happens) use the seed on garuda and it's an easy fight. gotta use magic/ranged attacks on it too since it's a flier

also, it took me 9 hours to kill Yazmat, and that "regen" isn't regen. Each big bar represents 1mil HP so when you take one bar down, the next bar comes up (there's little bars underneath the big bar).

Big Tip for these fights: when it gets crazy, just set gambits to cast Reverse + Decoy on one character. for Omega, you have to use this tactic right at the start or you'll die very quickly

EDIT: oh and the reward for these fights is shit lol not saying what it is though ¬_¬ apart from shit
Yeah, I went all the way back and got that item. Thanks anyway for the response. It's called Ekisu Berries or something in the english version. Much easier... I Just had a feeling that potion bombing Vossler was not the right way to beat him.

Tekki
2006-10-27, 13:05
I think somewhere in the thread the people who got the game early confirmed that it was already shipped to the retailers and ready to be put on the shelf on the 31st. They got their copy early because they know the right people.

Just to clarrify (sorry fellow GS/EB employees I know there are a few here, dont tattle prease). Just to clarrify, the game shppied the 24th, nuff said.

Po
2006-10-27, 13:10
I don't get it, why not let them sell it early. I know its a big release, blah blah blah.. but you know the employees w/ preorders will have been playing it for a week, so game companies should just set the release date the same as the ship date.

neighbortaru
2006-10-27, 13:17
because SE wants to declare oct 31st as FF12 day and hold a big event/media blitz here in Times Square

Sonomaa
2006-10-27, 13:27
EBgames near me says they are only getting 8 Wiis and 60 copies of FF12, all for preorders only
I call bullshit, Im going to best buy for my shinys, fuck EB

Tekki
2006-10-27, 13:31
Ive got about 120 copies pre-ordered out @.@ I guess only real ensitive is we are doing a midnight release (and 20% bonus trade for preordering. I paid mine off with crappy DVDs XD). Regular edtion is already sold out and I think im down to < 20 on CE to preorder away.

I don't get it, why not let them sell it early. I know its a big release, blah blah blah.. but you know the employees w/ preorders will have been playing it for a week, so game companies should just set the release date the same as the ship date.

Im with ya there. So many street dates get broken by walmart too that it rarely matters as well. Just remember, dont blame the retailers, that street date is set by SE and they threaten retailers with fines/tearing up contracts to try to keep their silly street dates.

Koul
2006-10-27, 13:46
christ... SE threatens people now lol

stupid lame addictive n' fun-kinda games they make

*coughwhere'schronobreakcough*

::edit::
woah midnight release...?! is that like a company thing or a store thing? hehehe

Po
2006-10-27, 14:04
Im with ya there. So many street dates get broken by walmart too that it rarely matters as well. Just remember, dont blame the retailers, that street date is set by SE and they threaten retailers with fines/tearing up contracts to try to keep their silly street dates.
I hear your point Tekki, but that is my point. What is the reason for all these threats if the employees are taking them home early anyway, thats what I call bullshit on, it is so contradictory.

Elcura
2006-10-27, 14:23
On the subject of fighting really big hard (or hardest) bosses, wasn't the point to kill them for bragging rights only? I mean what's there left to kill after killing the hardest thing in the game? What item could the hardest thing drop to satisfy you?

Neosutra
2006-10-27, 14:27
On the subject of fighting really big hard (or hardest) bosses, wasn't the point to kill them for bragging rights only? I mean what's there left to kill after killing the hardest thing in the game? What item could the hardest thing drop to satisfy you?

You find a Defending ring on the Yaiman.

Quicklet
2006-10-27, 14:47

I always thought the best way to reward people for killing the hardest optional boss in a game was to let it trigger a script that would make the final boss as hard / harder, and then let you get some kind of special ending, since usually the problem with insanely hard optional bosses is that it makes the final boss really anticlimactic. You know, if someone is going to go through the effort to get insanely powerful characters, at least give them a challenge at the end to satisfy them.

Helpoemer
2006-10-27, 14:52

Spoilers below<revealing what i said you get from the 3 hard boss>

the reward you get after you kill Yazmat, Doom Dragon and Omega Mk XII are items you sell to any shop AT THE SAME TIME, which in turn gives you a bazaar option to buy Tolo's Sword, now...hardcore FFers will recognise the Loto's Sword being the best sword in DQ well...it's strong in XII but it's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow to swing with it, the quirk with it is that it has midi sounds when you swing/hit/crit/evade/miss with it

RanDom_ErrOr
2006-10-27, 15:06
actually for bazaar items, it doesnt matter when you sell them... only that you sell them...

game keeps track of how many of each "loot" item you've sold, not when you sell it...

Helpoemer
2006-10-27, 15:46
i've always sold em at the same time just to be safe ¬_¬

Elcura
2006-10-27, 16:41

I always thought the best way to reward people for killing the hardest optional boss in a game was to let it trigger a script that would make the final boss as hard / harder, and then let you get some kind of special ending, since usually the problem with insanely hard optional bosses is that it makes the final boss really anticlimactic. You know, if someone is going to go through the effort to get insanely powerful characters, at least give them a challenge at the end to satisfy them.

SO2 was the only game with challenging optional bosses and a hard final boss fight (with limiter off). although it wasn't triggered the way you said it was still a challenge.

anyway, I wholeheartedly agree with what you said, I really wish that they did something like that...

dietvanillapepsi
2006-10-27, 16:44
Not all shipping times are the same. If it ships from the SE warehouse in CA but you're in WA then wouldn't you get pissed off that those ppl in CA are playing while you're still waiting for UPS to drive its ass across the country?

Aviendha
2006-10-27, 16:51
XI has kinda desensitized me to killing big things and getting disappointing drops :)

QFT

/wave tekki

Sonomaa
2006-10-28, 01:13
anyone know of any stores selling it early?

Anyway
2006-10-28, 01:23
lol, if you live in jersey, suuuure. really though, if anyone does, pm me. we'll see if you live close to the store.

Tekki
2006-10-28, 13:56
Try to bug Wal mart, seriously they are notorious for breaking street dates XD

BRP
2006-10-28, 15:15
lol, if you live in jersey, suuuure. really though, if anyone does, pm me. we'll see if you live close to the store.

Where in Jersey?

Anyway
2006-10-28, 15:38

Where in Jersey?
Hazlet, Highway 36. Monmouth County.

BRP
2006-10-28, 15:41

Where in Jersey?
Hazlet, Highway 36. Monmouth County.

nvm far ;/

Ace-o-fire
2006-10-28, 15:42
to far for me >.<

Lbelle
2006-10-29, 22:40
paid in full for my copy today. Had to reserve coll. edition though :(

Anyway
2006-10-30, 00:26
niceeeeee my first sticky lol. TIP: Don't put everyone in 1 type of armor, it will hurt you at some point... believe me

Vade
2006-10-30, 00:58
I sorta just get all the squares I can. I like to grind out points...using double TP accessories is great.

Helpoemer
2006-10-30, 09:01
here's an awesome tip for those of you starting out and want a powerful weapon early on in the game but first you need to get the Barheim Passage Key by doing a quest:

- Clear Flower Saboten and Nidhog Mob Hunt missions (rank E), so you should
have Python's Scaled Skin.
- After got your reward of Flower Saboten mission from Dantro (your client),
talk to him again.
- Now go to South of Nebra River where you can find the Dalmasca Eastersand
Gate Crystal. Talk to Dantro's wife to get Thousand Needles (treasure).
- Leave and return this area, talk to the people near the river and the boy
named Chiguri, then choose first option in the dialogue to go North of
Nebra River.
- Talk to Chiguri for some events, then will back to South site.
- Now speak with Dantro's wife again, then search behind her camp for the
red flower, examine it, a flower saboten will follow you.
- Speak with the boy, Chiguri to go North site again.
- Get close to the giant flower saboten, watch a scene.

- Now back to South of Nebra River and talk to Dantro's Wife.
- Search the left side near the river can see a shinning thing there, check it
to pick up the Sem Shell. Pass it to Dantro's wife.
- Return to the small camp section and talk to Dantro again. Same place, find
the boxes in the central, check the jars there for Nebrarin, pass it to
Dantro's Wife also.
- Move to Northern most section of Dalmasca Eastersand, find the flowers in
the valley. One of them is in the middle of the section, beside the rock
which you can push down. Examine it to get The Drip Of Valley Flower.
- Back to South of River and talk to Dantro's Wife, also pass the
Python's Scaled Skin to her.
- Leave here for awhile and return, talk to the Traveller Under Recovery,
she's behind the house where Dantro's Wife is, she will give you Barheim Key.

From the Dalmasca Eastersand Gate Crystal, go South, then turn to South-East,
there is a small area, use your Barheim Key to unlock that door to enter Barheim Passage.

Now, go to the small area on the map with the Gate Crystal and save, from there go to the south (Great Central Passage), then west and take the LOWER path to the "Special Op Sector 5" area, in this area are pretty high lvl monsters at this point, but you don't need to fight them so flee past them all and past the turtle there is a rock next to the rail tracks, near this rock is usually one of those frog monsters. Behind this rock there is a chance for a SILVER chest to be there with a purple center, careful cos this is a Rare Monster, but it's the one we want for our weapon. If it's not there, just zone back to Great Central Passage and go to the upper path (East-West Bypass) to the west, then enter back into Special Op Sector 5 and keep doing this till it shows up.

Now, you should have been fleeing past the other monsters to get here, briefly let go of flee to pop the chest to make the Rare Monster appear, flee and take it to the zone where you came from (the Rare Monster won't stop following you, but the other monsters will).
heal yourself from the damage and go back in, the Rare Monster will still be near the zone line and this is when we get our weapon.
Set all your characters to STEAL STEAL STEAL, eventually you will get the Deathbringer (1h Sword 90ATK On Hit: Death).
This is an amazing weapon for this early in the game, and i recommend getting at least 3 for your most regularly played characters. to get more than one just zone to the upper path then go back to the lower path with the Rare Monster.
i was around lvl 25 when i got this weapon, if you want to spend time like i did getting 16 for money at this point lol. they sell for about 8000.

any questions feel free to ask ^^;

Resin
2006-10-30, 11:08
LOL! Is that all?

Just messing with ya, man...nice tip. Can't wait to get the game tomorrow!

Po
2006-10-30, 11:25
I know I kinda lol'd too, but thanks for the info :).
Question
Is the dude with the gun and Jaridah looking body armor cool? He looks like a bad ass.

Po
2006-10-30, 11:33
The review on 1up is up for those interested.
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3154731

Raineer
2006-10-30, 12:26
Does anyone think this is just too too much story? I've had mine like a month, and it's just soooo dammmmn sloooow. Interface really isn't that fun either :/ just my opinion...severely disappointed and very glad i didn't pay for it

Helpoemer
2006-10-30, 12:32
I know I kinda lol'd too, but thanks for the info :).
Question
Is the dude with the gun and Jaridah looking body armor cool? He looks like a bad ass.

tbh i think he's more funny and witty in the JP version than the NA version, he's still funny though.

zymurgy
2006-10-30, 13:03
I agree, it's veryyyyyyyy slow. I've only played through 5 hours of it but I'm not at all impressed yet. I have hopes that it will pick up soon but the beginning was just too slow.

Helpoemer
2006-10-30, 14:59
it really does pick up, just be patient.

bet you're all FF7 fanboys, but that was way worse with story i thought =p

Mr.City
2006-10-30, 17:36
Anyone get a T-shirt for reserving it?

Toralyn
2006-10-30, 21:49
One hour 10 minutes...(EST)

Raineer
2006-10-30, 22:33

FF7 wasn't all that hot, but I just felt I was watching a movie in FF12 until I got bored with it. The play is ok, but just slow...and not enjoyable like grinding in most of the other non-mmo ff's

Maguspk
2006-10-31, 00:26
FFXII: Circle

Setting up my PS2 now, omgz

omfg, just realized I have no memory card, only an HDD... curse you old FFXI system! Gah, is there any way to save onto the HDD :( ???

Anyway
2006-10-31, 02:12
FFXII: Circle

Setting up my PS2 now, omgz

omfg, just realized I have no memory card, only an HDD... curse you old FFXI system! Gah, is there any way to save onto the HDD :( ???
Not that I know of.

Sonomaa
2006-10-31, 02:36
Im enjoying the crap out of it so far, yeah, it has started a little slow, but Im a grind whore, and its grindaliscious

Vobent
2006-10-31, 08:22
ohh damn 38 minutes

Correction
2006-10-31, 09:19

FF7 wasn't all that hot, but I just felt I was watching a movie in FF12 until I got bored with it. The play is ok, but just slow...and not enjoyable like grinding in most of the other non-mmo ff's

Grinding becomes a lot less painful once you start setting up more than 3-4 gambits to take care of most of the buffing/status clearing of your characters. From there it's just a lot of running back to save points to restore MP and is no more difficult/annoying than grinding in other FF games. Once you learn Haste grinding shit it a breeze.

SPOILER

Grind in the mines once you get everybody's favorite guest character with unlimited potions and hi-potions. :D

Sonomaa
2006-10-31, 11:21
question that I havent found out the answer yet, can I get basically unlimited lisc points or will I eventually not be able to unlock more abilities

Viktor Vaughn
2006-10-31, 11:38
got mine at midnight. was pretty impressed with the first 15 miuntes, even the tutorial was fun.

edit: did anyone else feel like the opening movie was a bit Star Wars-ish?

Eaglestrike
2006-10-31, 12:16
Playing now.

This is really cool so far. Apparently you can't beat that 2nd Hunt at level 3, the mutant tiger calls for help! I managed to kill his two tigers before engaging him and at 30% he called another tiger. I used a potion, it worked, and then he did some move that I assume just one-shotted me cause I was dead lol Going to farm up some points and buff to level 5 or something and re-try, but I need to find better armor...

Raineer
2006-10-31, 12:20
Playing now.

This is really cool so far. Apparently you can't beat that 2nd Hunt at level 3, the mutant tiger calls for help! I managed to kill his two tigers before engaging him and at 30% he called another tiger. I used a potion, it worked, and then he did some move that I assume just one-shotted me cause I was dead lol Going to farm up some points and buff to level 5 or something and re-try, but I need to find better armor...
haha that was fun, i swore i had him and then i die from like 60% HP lmao

I tried again at 4 with a couple potions and it was a breeze

Correction
2006-10-31, 12:29
question that I havent found out the answer yet, can I get basically unlimited lisc points or will I eventually not be able to unlock more abilities

unlimited

by the end though you need so many fucking points for one ability that you have to prioritize early (psst. get the gold amulet acc. unlocked asap)

Nightstriker
2006-10-31, 12:52
Playing now.

I killed him at 4 lvl and I had a broadsword, it made it alot easier. But pulling the tigers away from him sucks. I love this game, it reminds of Vagrant Story, to bad I had to go to work or else I'd be playing :cry: .

Viktor Vaughn
2006-10-31, 13:00
ya i only got to play for about 15 minutes last night after I got it then had to crash for work.

got to pick up the guide and play it all night tonight

edit: as a side note, anyone getting SOCOM: CA? heh

Helpoemer
2006-10-31, 13:03
when you get the White Mousse mob hunt i strongly advise you get the weapon i posted a guide on how to get on the previous page, normally you'd have to be lvl 45+ to kill it with not much trouble but with the sword you can do it at 25+

the gap between previous hunts and White Mousse hunt or higher ranked mob hunts is very big

Po
2006-10-31, 14:20
I skimmed through your guide again man, and had a question about how you said get one for each of your characters.
All characters in this game can wield the same weapons? There isn't like 1 person who uses sword, 1 who uses gun, 1 who uses polearm (loldrg), etc?

Sonomaa
2006-10-31, 14:36

unlimited

by the end though you need so many fucking points for one ability that you have to prioritize early (psst. get the gold amulet acc. unlocked asap)

where is that one on the grid, I cant find it (dont have my strat guide yet ; ;)

DeadLegend
2006-10-31, 14:41
Jesus christ I'm only at the title screen and this is the best game of the year.

Correction
2006-10-31, 14:42

unlimited

where is that one on the grid, I cant find it (dont have my strat guide yet ; ;)

From Libra (which is to the right of Steal, in case they renamed that ability for the NA release), count four squares straight up. That's the gold amulet (doubles LP earned from every kill). Very worth it.

Sonomaa
2006-10-31, 14:48
ahh, looks like my grid from gamefaqs was counted wrong

damn, now I want to make a ff12 forum section, maybe nikkei will let me if I bribe with chocolate and kittypiles

Correction
2006-10-31, 15:58

damn, now I want to make a ff12 forum section, maybe nikkei will let me if I bribe with chocolate and kittypiles

The gamefaqs license grid isn't wrong really, but it's incomplete. The gold amulet is the same square as the 'Jack Boots' and 'Black Sash' square. I guess whoever made that one just didn't have room to write in the 3rd item. If I can get a working scanner I can scan in the one from the Ultimania guide.

Viktor Vaughn
2006-10-31, 16:01

that would be the dizzle. for rizzle.

Vobent
2006-10-31, 16:52
If you find the kittypiles missing, I didn't do it.

Po
2006-10-31, 17:43
I read that the camera is inverted. Is there an option to change that to normal?

Eaglestrike
2006-10-31, 17:46
Can anyone who has played this for a while explain Quickenings and how you should deal with them?

Helpoemer
2006-10-31, 17:47
I skimmed through your guide again man, and had a question about how you said get one for each of your characters.
All characters in this game can wield the same weapons? There isn't like 1 person who uses sword, 1 who uses gun, 1 who uses polearm (loldrg), etc?

as long as that character has the license for that weapon, they can use any type of weapon. Some characters have increased proficiency with some weapons of course though:

Vaan: increased crit rate with daggers and increased combo rate with Katanas
Basch: increased crit rate with polearms
Balthier: increased crit rate with guns
Fran: increased crit rate with bows
Ashe: increased combo rate with Great Katanas
Penelo: increased crit rate with staves/rods

Helpoemer
2006-10-31, 18:04
Can anyone who has played this for a while explain Quickenings and how you should deal with them?

when you obtain your first quickening, it just unlocks your first "limit break". these cost 1 bar depending on the lvl of the quickening (1 bar for lvl1, 2 for lvl 2 etc). when you obtain your 2nd one for a character however, that characters max MP is doubled and you get a 2nd bar, and when you get your 3rd one, your original max MP is tripled and you get a 3rd bar.

During Mist Knacks (i'm used to calling them mist knacks), you have to press X, Square or Triangle to chain them, sometimes a "mist charge" appears next to a characters name, this just means you're gonna have to press the button twice. when there are no available quickenings available, tap R2 till you get one open to you.
Sometimes even though you have no MP left you will get lucky on a roll and not need to Mist Charge.

Also depending on the quickenings used, you'll get a magic burst (can't remember english name, i think they're called Convergiences or something).

3x Lv1 Quickenings = Inferno (fire)
5x Lv1 Quickenings = Catastrophe? (earth one)
2x Lv2 Quickenings = Torrent? (Water one)
5x Lv2 Quickenings = forgot this one, Wind
5x Lv3 Quickenings = forgot this one, Ice one
2x Lv1, 2x Lv2, 2x Lv3 = Ark Blast (thunder)
3x Lv1, 3x Lv2, 3x Lv3 = Luminescense (Holy)
4x Lv1, 4x Lv2, 4x Lv3 = Black Hole (Darkness)

order of priority is ascending so: if you used 5 Lv1 Quickenings but used 2 Lv2 as well, Torrent would take priority.

The magic burst seems to do the most damage out of all the skills used, oh and the magic bursts are also AoE, so it hits all targets within range of the initial target.

If you perform all magic bursts, you get a nice Gabranth in your Sky Pirate Den in your Clan Primer =3

i only managed to do this in my english playthrough ._. Black Hole and Ice ones are pretty hard to do

Po
2006-10-31, 18:17
This is 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, etc in one battle right?
So you actually only get the Ice and Darkness ones in boss fights or tough battles right?
If I'm understanding you correctly?

Helpoemer
2006-10-31, 18:20
This is 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, etc in one battle right?
So you actually only get the Ice and Darkness ones in boss fights or tough battles right?
If I'm understanding you correctly?

well, once you use mist knacks, the fight pauses and you enter this whole new sequence just for mist knacks where only you do something.
i have a video on youtube of it in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnW-1wmbEBw

GraveRobberX
2006-10-31, 19:41
Jesus Christ is this GAME motherfucking awesome

I got it @ noon from local game store

Like 50 people passed me by while I was talking to the vendor, and all of them bought a copy of FFXII

LOL so far I'm lvl 7 Vaan aone in Dal. Western Desert

I have killed so many f'n wolves that I popped the NM

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

No not the Board NM wolf Thextria

Something called Limble Wolf , it castes Haste on itself and has 2 buddies @_@;;;

I have killed around 150+ wolves got 55-chain

Died a couple of times due to those Eagle/Owl/Man looking things too many times

God bless SE for giving a game worthy of 5 stars

Also whoever asked for SOCOM: CA ill be getting after PS3

Most likely I'll have PS3, God Hand, Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, FFXII,
Socom: CA (GraveRobberX is my name thru I,II, III), maybe Resistance: Fall of Man

I swear to god I'll be jizzing thru 2007 until God of War II

P.S. The new NM wolf just fucked me up 5 times in arow ; ; @ lvl 7 ><

Eaglestrike
2006-10-31, 20:03

as long as that character has the license for that weapon, they can use any type of weapon. Some characters have increased proficiency with some weapons of course though:

Vaan: increased crit rate with daggers and increased combo rate with Katanas
Basch: increased crit rate with polearms
Balthier: increased crit rate with guns
Fran: increased crit rate with bows
Ashe: increased combo rate with Great Katanas
Penelo: increased crit rate with staves/rods

No one gets a sword bonus? Boo. I'll probably use Basch with sword anyway unless the crit rate is that amazing. I'll go get Vaan dagger stuff I suppose, can't hate on daggers because I'm a thf in FFXI XD

This game is great fun, I'm headed to the mines on the sky continent and there is this one room full of skeletons, I'm up to chain 27, around 100exp a kill, already gotten 2 levels on half my guys in just 10min or so in here, it's crazy.

Correction
2006-10-31, 20:06
Interestingly enough the game is brimming with NM-like mobs. The site I used to find/avoid a good number of them is here (in japanese)

http://ff12.vanamon.com/

presumably it won't be long before a simlar catalogue appears in english. This site posts pop locations and conditions. Your buddy there pops when you kill 20 or more of the surrounding wolves, has auto-haste (undispellable) and is level 16. Might want to wait a bit before trying to kill it unless you wanna blow a shitload of potions doing it :)

Vixy
2006-10-31, 20:34

unlimited

Iv only been playing for an hour or so but, when do they increase? When you level up? Seems the highest on the board is 235 now.

Vile
2006-10-31, 20:38
So when you unlock your first mist on the license board the game gives you a little info on them. It mentioned that a character can learn up to 3 Mists, but as far as I can tell theres more than that on everyone's board.

So, do I unlock 3 and I'm stuck with those 3? Or can I unlock them all and then choose which 3 I want to use. Can I switch them up whenever I want? I have no idea which is which, and which is actually good or not D;a

Or are the Quickenings on the board something other than Mists <.>a

Eaglestrike
2006-10-31, 20:40
So when you unlock your first mist on the license board the game gives you a little info on them. It mentioned that a character can learn up to 3 Mists, but as far as I can tell theres more than that on everyone's board.

So, do I unlock 3 and I'm stuck with those 3? Or can I unlock them all and then choose which 3 I want to use. Can I switch them up? I have no idea which is which, and which is actually good or not D;a

This is why I asked. I was going up to unlock the golden amulet thing as someone suggested and found Red Spiral and it talked about only 3 per character. I just went to an old save and didn't spend LP again, didn't want to risk anything screwing up.

Vile
2006-10-31, 20:44
Yeah I just got my first esper and it tells you once you choose to unlock it with 1 character no one else can choose it and its removed from the board.

I already kinda messed up, prolly gonna start over now that I know what some of the board looks like. -.-

Ace-o-fire
2006-10-31, 20:47
I think this is one of the best games i have played in a long time.

Gambit System = Awesome
Story line = Awesome

my only nay so far is not being able to name any of the Characters.

though I'm only in 3 hours in to it so i might be able to later????

Dion
2006-10-31, 20:49
nvm >< found it

BRP
2006-10-31, 21:05

People actually change the names?

Ace-o-fire
2006-10-31, 21:07
I like it to be something I can pronounce.

BRP
2006-10-31, 21:11
cloud  /klaʊd/ [kloud]

Ace-o-fire
2006-10-31, 21:18
well yea 1/2 of them i cant.

DeadLegend
2006-10-31, 21:49
Yeah I'm only 6 hours in myself d: but I like the names, and Vossler totally stole my beard. Amish ftmfw.

Correction
2006-10-31, 22:07
Each character gets 3 unique mist knacks (jp terminology here bear with me) that nobody else gets. It's like limit breaks from FFVII. Tifa couldn't do Omnislash, Cait Sith couldn't do Final Heaven. In FFXII each character-specific mist knack is on a different spot of the board, so spending LP to unlock it for that character is a good thing, nothing to hold back on and no 'mistakes' can be made.

Summons are different, only one of your characters may 'own' that summonable monster, ever. So when you get Belias the character you assign it to is the only one who can summon it. And assign it you must (for reasons made clear much later, Feywood-ish later). It's not that big a deal really, just make sure you actually use the characters you put multiple summons on. I see lots of people taking Vash/Vaan/Panelo to 90 something while Ashe/Baflear/Flan languish in the 40s. Don't let this imbalance happen to characters you assign summons to is all.

Anyway
2006-10-31, 23:12
Each character gets 3 unique mist knacks (jp terminology here bear with me) that nobody else gets. It's like limit breaks from FFVII. Tifa couldn't do Omnislash, Cait Sith couldn't do Final Heaven. In FFXII each character-specific mist knack is on a different spot of the board, so spending LP to unlock it for that character is a good thing, nothing to hold back on and no 'mistakes' can be made.

Summons are different, only one of your characters may 'own' that summonable monster, ever. So when you get Belias the character you assign it to is the only one who can summon it. And assign it you must (for reasons made clear much later, Feywood-ish later). It's not that big a deal really, just make sure you actually use the characters you put multiple summons on. I see lots of people taking Vash/Vaan/Panelo to 90 something while Ashe/Baflear/Flan languish in the 40s. Don't let this imbalance happen to characters you assign summons to is all.
lol Idk what to do, if I should go back and level the other characters. I have Vann, Ashe, Basch all at 28, but Baltheir and Fran are level 11 and Penelo is 15. :x

Correction
2006-10-31, 23:26
Your characters all gain LP at the same rate, so the levelling gap is waaaaay faster to overcome than you'd think. It's not that hard if you just travel back to the zones where there are shitloads of pops and high chain potential for HP/MP recovery (mines is great).

Anyway
2006-11-01, 00:17
I grinded the most at the part right before you fight the 1st judge. When the siren keeps going off and endless soldiers come at you, I stood at the zone and kept killing, I dont remember how high I got but it was above chain 100, Like 2-3 times.

Xavier
2006-11-01, 00:30
You generally can't change the name of a character if the game supports voice-work. If the characters name is actually said outloud, odds are you're stuck with it.

Sonomaa
2006-11-01, 02:20
this game just keeps getting better, just got to the floating continent, custscenes are amazing, Im doing well in the battle system, got everyone at 10+ and a decent amount of stuff unlocked. going for the gold amulet thingie and just going to grind myself with joy in the mines as was recomended

NIKKEI YOU WILL LIKE THIS GAME!!!111

Tiernin
2006-11-01, 05:13
I picked up the game before work yesterday(I work nights), I can't wait to go play it. i bought the guide with it too.

The guide is very helpful because it explains all about the espers, quickings, and all the magic etc. It also looks like you can customize each charcater as much as you want.

Ugh i can't wait to go play.....2 more hours of work ><

Nikkei
2006-11-01, 05:59
this game just keeps getting better, just got to the floating continent, custscenes are amazing, Im doing well in the battle system, got everyone at 10+ and a decent amount of stuff unlocked. going for the gold amulet thingie and just going to grind myself with joy in the mines as was recomended

NIKKEI YOU WILL LIKE THIS GAME!!!111

I was trying not to be interested cause I have no money and this way I wouldn't feel bad about not owning it. ;_;

SephYuyX
2006-11-01, 07:20
Played an hour or so yesterday, im not a fan of the actual fight system atm.

Lordthom
2006-11-01, 09:39
I just finished the rescue Basche part and the only thing I don't care for is that it seems like you're always zoning. The maps from 1 zone line to the next are very small.

Koul
2006-11-01, 10:10
I'm about 8hours in~ Just got back to the first town from the dungeon place

So far I've put most of my LP points into augments or more gambits...
was that uhh wise? My equipment part on most of my characters is lacking

Correction
2006-11-01, 10:22
I gave at least one person the ability to equip heavy armor/weapons so he could 'tank' some of the harder fights. Mob hate in this game is waaay different from FFXI so 'tanking' in the sense that we know it is not the same thing, but if you put one heavily-armored character by the mob and give everyone else ranged attacks some fights are a lot less painful. I usually do Vash in front and Panelo/Ashe on backup with bows. Works really well and it saves LP on having to keep everyone tip-top on gear (while keeping them tip-top on stat bonuses/spellsets).

Po
2006-11-01, 11:03
I started this game last night, and just had so much fun. Sure it starts off slow like any other rpg, but overall is a ton of fun.
I have a couple of questions
1) I have been killing wolves and cactuses, and the cacti, dropped a couple of broadswords. I was looking through my ingame license board, and the squares I don't have unlocked, and cannot find one single square to get access to more weapons. When can I make Vaan use these other swords I have gotten as drops. Also, I don't see any squares where you get more access to armor either. Any help on these issues would be great!
2) Not really a question, more a comment. I glanced at the guide of the parts I already played last night (Got up to giving the sunstone to Dalan), and it says that the strongest weapon in the game is received by not opening 4 chests throughout the game. The first one is the chest right outside Dalan's place which I opened of course, and I am sure everyone else did. I would think you are most likely to not get this weapon on the first play through, unless you are reading a walkthrough the whole way through, because how the hell else would you know not to open it.
1 other thing, holy shit Penelo's attack meter goes up so much faster than Vaan's it is insane lol. Any way to speed that up?

Skyylya
2006-11-01, 11:16
The license screen defaults on the magic/techniks, move it down to the lower left of the screen and you'll find the armor/weapons.

Vaspinne
2006-11-01, 11:17
I started this game last night, and just had so much fun. Sure it starts off slow like any other rpg, but overall is a ton of fun.
I have a couple of questions
1) I have been killing wolves and cactuses, and the cacti, dropped a couple of broadswords. I was looking through my ingame license board, and the squares I don't have unlocked, and cannot find one single square to get access to more weapons. When can I make Vaan use these other swords I have gotten as drops. Also, I don't see any squares where you get more access to armor either. Any help on these issues would be great!
2) Not really a question, more a comment. I glanced at the guide of the parts I already played last night (Got up to giving the sunstone to Dalan), and it says that the strongest weapon in the game is received by not opening 4 chests throughout the game. The first one is the chest right outside Dalan's place which I opened of course, and I am sure everyone else did. I would think you are most likely to not get this weapon on the first play through, unless you are reading a walkthrough the whole way through, because how the hell else would you know not to open it.
1 other thing, holy shit Penelo's attack meter goes up so much faster than Vaan's it is insane lol. Any way to speed that up?

Numero 1: When you start, Vaan has 2 parts of his license grid where he has things unlocked. Start putting in LP's towards the places in the lower left corner. Going up from where he is has more bits of armor, and going below it has swords, I think. But yeah, when you first start off, theres very little selection.

Numero 2: Yeah, getting the Zodiac Spear is a major pain in the butt. I was lucky enough to save the game just before getting to Old Dalan's house, so I was just able to reset my game and avoid it when I got to that point. ^^

And yeah, Peleno's attack rate was nuts. She got in 2 attacks easily for my 1. And that was enough reason for me to use a Dagger, lol. I got Vaan his first polearm though, and being an lolDrg in FFXI, I did the lame thing and decided to make him a polearm user.

Jeryhn
2006-11-01, 11:17

Bear in mind the License Grid is divided in two: one for weapons/armor, and one for everything else. Everyone will have squares unlocked in a weapon or two and abilities, so look around.

Penelo is using a dagger, Vaan is using a sword.

Po
2006-11-01, 11:18
But wouldn't it take a million unlocks on the default area of the board to get down to that lower left side? Since you can only buy the ones that are right next to where you are.
Unless I am missing something? :?

Skyylya
2006-11-01, 11:20
There are two separate beginning points....just look on your license grid.

Vaspinne
Your missing something :p

Just scroll to the lower left. 2 Panels there are ALREADY unlocked, meaning you can use your LP's in 2 different places.

Po
Numero 1: When you start, Vaan has 2 parts of his license grid where he has things unlocked. Start putting in LP's towards the places in the lower left corner. Going up from where he is has more bits of armor, and going below it has swords, I think. But yeah, when you first start off, theres very little selection.
Shit I did not realize there was another section open. But now it makes more sense since I wanna use my Broadsword :twisted:

edit - you guys post faster than I can lol. I did not realize that, thanks guys :).

Tiernin
2006-11-01, 11:24
So is anyone else trying to autorun.....cause I keep doing it over and over lol.

this game rules

Epical
2006-11-01, 12:22
Won a $75 gift card at work, so I picked this up yesterday using that and it's pretty good so far. Pretty excited to go through the whole game, but the only thing that I worry about is the advanced gambit system... reminds me of Computer Science 114 and all the millions of algorithims we had to do. Meh, I'll figure it out one day.

As for my party, I only have Penelope (or whatever lol) right now (doing that quest to find Jinn, the missing village boy, to get some stone for Dalan), and I plan to follow what I did in FF7 which is make Vaan/Cloud my main tank/DD, Penelope/Aeris my healer, and _____/Vincent my random DD to just help me kill shit faster. To the people who have beaten the game, or at least advanced farther, is that a suitable setup? Or do I need more support than dmg?

But yeah, hot game so far. QQ @ Recks tho. :cry:

Maguspk
2006-11-01, 12:38
Is it always 3 people at a time? Because the status screen looks like it can hold alot more than 3 people.

Vobent
2006-11-01, 12:39
Can you duel wield?

<edit> I was never good at grammer

Xerlic
2006-11-01, 13:01
Anyone know what the deal is with the rare monsters? I fought 2 so far: a fish in the sewers in lowtown and a cockatrice after you escape from Nalbina.

They're really hard to steal from. I tried stealing from the fish for like 10 minutes solo, but then just gave up and killed it. I got a Rainbow Egg from the Cockatrice one, but I had 3 people spamming steal on it.

Also, is there any point to loot other than selling it to open stuff in bazaars? I keep thinking the shit is like synth materials and npc'ing it is a bad thing lol.

Correction
2006-11-01, 13:03
Some loots can get turned into weapons.

Eaglestrike
2006-11-01, 13:09
Is it always 3 people at a time? Because the status screen looks like it can hold alot more than 3 people.

You can only control 3 people at a time. You can get guests though and they act on their own (basically they come with preset Gambits and use those) to have 4 people at once max. The thing I like about this game is that if someone dies and you can't raise them, or EVERYONE DIES...you go to your status screen and put the other guys in.

Unfortunately that didn't help me, this Bull Croc near Enkelados started doing this one move that one-shotted all my guys in a conic AOE. I replaced guys and started running for my life but it's also a ranged ws, so have to go back to my last save -.- I'm level 24...is that too low for Enkelados?

I'm having a fair bit of trouble keeping my gil up. I don't have a lot of spells but finally purchased all gambits I could and the best armor/weapon for 3 of my guys (while stripping two of them, lol) There are some nice looking things in the Bazaar I want but I don't have 20kish gil for them. I'm thinking they're rare gambits and such.

Skyylya
2006-11-01, 13:37
edit: nvm....they just appeared.

Vobent
2006-11-01, 13:40
Go to the north bank, and and clear all the monsters, zone out..then back in then 3 chickatrice and 1 cluckatrice will be waiting for you. All link.

Po
2006-11-01, 14:46
Meh I really can't decide whether or not I should start over since I opened that chest in front of Dalan's to miss out on the Zodiac Spear. I just gave him the sunstone. What do you guys think? Should I start over?

Skyylya
2006-11-01, 15:04
You should be only a couple hours into it at that point, if you do start over, now's the time.

I missed out on it i'm sure, but i'm about 10 hours into it now, i don't feel like starting over at this point.

Tythera
2006-11-01, 16:34
Meh I really can't decide whether or not I should start over since I opened that chest in front of Dalan's to miss out on the Zodiac Spear. I just gave him the sunstone. What do you guys think? Should I start over?

What exactly do you need to do for the spear? I remember someone mentioning not getting chests for a while but where's the cutoff?

Po
2006-11-01, 16:36
* Requirement - Do not open the treasure chest in front of the old man (Daran)
house in Rabanastre Downtown.
- Do not open the Elixir chest in Rabanastre Palace. (SE corner of the Cellars - US Guide)
- Do not open the treasure chests in Nalbina Dungeons inside the
room where you get back your inventory.
- Do not open the 16 treasure chests in Phon Coast South-East
section.

IF you do not get the above mentioned treasure, the spear will ALWAYS be in the Necrohol of Nabrudis, in the third area inside a room with 16 chests in it. It's ok to get all of these chests. One of them will contain the spear.

Helpoemer
2006-11-01, 16:46
- Do not open the Elixir chest in Rabanastre Palace. (SE corner of the Cellars - US Guide)
section.

IF you do not get the above mentioned treasure, the spear will ALWAYS be in the Necrohol of Nabrudis, in the third area inside a room with 16 chests in it. It's ok to get all of these chests. One of them will contain the spear.

so it's about a 1% chance with this option to get it, 2% with diamond bangle
if you did get any of the chests you have to do this:
- Henne Mines, East hidden section.
- Go North from the Gate Crystal, then East.
- In the secret section, turn right from the second junction. Follow
the way until you reach to next mine route. Now pay attention
to right side. Around crates, there is a small area which didn't
shown in the map. The treasure chest will appear there.
- Only 10% chance you can find the treasure, and only 10% chance
could get this weapon.

Po
2006-11-01, 16:50
Yar I think thats why I am gonna start over.

Headspace
2006-11-01, 17:00
I got a few chests outside in the desert while doing the Rogue Tomato, am I still ok?

and how soon are you able to get the summons, and how are they?

Helpoemer
2006-11-01, 17:21
I got a few chests outside in the desert while doing the Rogue Tomato, am I still ok?

and how soon are you able to get the summons, and how are they?

all in all...useless, the most powerful summon does a fixed 50,000 damage, but it costs all your MP, (you also need to be in Gradual Petrify state for it to use it's deathblow).
by the time it uses it's deathblow, a maxed PT can do that amount of damage a lot faster.
they're cool to look at though, especially the deathblows.
first one you get pretty early

chests in the desert are ok

Po
2006-11-01, 17:51
Is it a good rule of thumb to just not pick up any chests in town? Like the Zodiac Spear is not the only time when it comes into play?

Ace-o-fire
2006-11-01, 17:55
Ive noticed when you in pause mode the game doesnt count it as time. Just a little Tidbit.

Aslo I'm having trouble with the first Judge, any tips?

Eaglestrike
2006-11-01, 18:03
section.

could get this weapon.

If you save before you go in there can you reload and the chest could eventually pop? Or is that chest popping or not decided as soon as you open one of the earlier chests? I'm 18 hours in and using polearm on Basch now and would rather not have to restart to get the 'best' gear on my characters, but maybe I'll replay it anyway...

Lordwafik
2006-11-01, 18:17
According to Wiki

JPN March 16, 2006
USA October 31, 2006[1]
PAL 27 February 2007[1]

Seriously, fuck australia. Can't wait to get out of this shit hole, 4 months for a game from 1 english speaking country to another, just so the french and germans can have their language on the game which they wont even use german/french subs on.

Hell I think the PS3 is coming out before FF12.......

Po
2006-11-01, 18:39
Wafik, why don't you just import your games? Srsly, you should just get an American Ps2/3 and just import all your games rly. I always look at PAL dates and I'm like dayum.
Thats what I would do.

Lordwafik
2006-11-01, 19:05
Because it costs too much to get a NTSC PS2, and importing games are pricey aswell (if I lived in england or somewhere closer to USA, it'd be cheaper, but i'm on the other side of the world, I get 20-30$ quotes just in shipping fees, not including the game). I'm fucked either way I go about it unless I start burning games, which I don't beleive in doing, since games = <3 for me.

Mr.City
2006-11-01, 19:31
any benefits in picking light armor over heavy armor?

Eaglestrike
2006-11-01, 20:13
any benefits in picking light armor over heavy armor?

Each armor set gives stats which you'd expect:

Mage = +magicka power
Light = +speed (and +hp, which isn't expected)
Heavy = +str/defense

Helpoemer
2006-11-01, 20:33
section.

could get this weapon.

If you save before you go in there can you reload and the chest could eventually pop? Or is that chest popping or not decided as soon as you open one of the earlier chests? I'm 18 hours in and using polearm on Basch now and would rather not have to restart to get the 'best' gear on my characters, but maybe I'll replay it anyway...

yes but if you opened any of the chests in the first list. you have to go through the 10% chance of the chest being there and 10% chance of the treasure actually being the spear.

another tip for all you new ppl if you didn't know:

to make mobs respawn in a particular area you need to zone two times from place you want mobs to respawn, and for treasures you need to zone three times. better explanation:

A is area you want mob/chests to respawn
B is first connected area to A, nothing will change in area A
zone to C which isn't directly connected by zoneline to A to make mobs respawn in area A
zone to D which isn't directly connected by zoneline to B to make chests respawn in area A

A------------------------B-------------------C---------------------D

very useful in a particular area when trying to get excalibur

Maguspk
2006-11-01, 21:02
There are Numous in Ivalice from FFTA, there is one dressed up in the back of the Centurion Clan Hideout on the back wall after climbing the left set of stairs. He says something about being able to give information about hunts.

Also, whoever posted that information about which weapons are good for which people, I can't find that information in my strategy guide, are you sure it's accurate?

SathFenrir
2006-11-01, 21:58
Ok I'm slow in FFXII cuz I've had events to run in FFXI but omg I just got to Bhujerba..

The town music is almost exactly the same (slightly varied) from FFT music, can't remember the name but it was the song used in the opening FMV (before you new game / load game) and I like don't want to leave town cuz it's so good haha.

I'm now 100000x happier with FFXII than I was 5 minutes ago.

Edit:

Im in Lhesun Mines or w/e and I'm on chain 36 on skeleton's and the chain # is now in blue. Around Chain 12 it said Chain Level! and then the #'s turned blue.

XP + LP is the same, anyone know what this means?

Toralyn
2006-11-01, 23:02
Ok I'm slow in FFXII cuz I've had events to run in FFXI but omg I just got to Bhujerba..

The town music is almost exactly the same (slightly varied) from FFT music, can't remember the name but it was the song used in the opening FMV (before you new game / load game) and I like don't want to leave town cuz it's so good haha.

I'm now 100000x happier with FFXII than I was 5 minutes ago.

Edit:

Im in Lhesun Mines or w/e and I'm on chain 36 on skeleton's and the chain # is now in blue. Around Chain 12 it said Chain Level! and then the #'s turned blue.

XP + LP is the same, anyone know what this means?

Chains have 4 levels, the higher the chain, the better the chance of good items dropping is.

A question of my own. I finished KRT already, but I'm back to XP grind and I want my Demonsbane sword. I beat the optional wall, and now I'm stuck on where to go for the sword.

Lbelle
2006-11-01, 23:15
Any tips for this Bulbasaur dragon, it's giving me a really hard time...

Sonomaa
2006-11-01, 23:21
Im trying to make a gambit but Im having a problem getting it working
I want to make one so that I can run near a mob and it will target and attack it, then not stop attacking till Im done, am I doing something wrong?

Lbelle
2006-11-01, 23:32
well if you target the mob...make the gambit

mob the party leader attacks | attack |

and then when you target it, that person should immediately target the same monster and continue hitting/attacking until it's killed.

also make sure it's turned on, and that it's not in slot 2 or something...that happened to me.

Toralyn
2006-11-01, 23:37
There's nothing wrong with slot 2. Each of my guys have 5 active Gambits, the number they sit on the list just puts priority of which to use first. So putting Fight before say, Cure or Hi-Potion usage on a healing char, would be a bad thing.

After you make the Gambit, just to to where it says 'Off' on the left of the number and hit X to turn it on.

Sonomaa
2006-11-01, 23:38
I was using nearest visible foe, now Im using foe: any and it seems to not take target off of vaan, before it was taking target off of vaan and the fucker was charging into enemys

Toralyn
2006-11-01, 23:41
Sonomaa, use Foe:party leader's target, they'll target whatever your leader is targeting....the downside is they change targets if the leader does.

Anyone else notice how similar the weapon attack animations are to the ones in FFXI?

Sonomaa
2006-11-01, 23:49
I am using that, its just that vaan keeps changing targets on me, then my pt changes targets because I did, maybe Im not explaining it right, but vaan isnt getting on a target and STAYING on that target, I need something like Foe HP less than or equal to 80% = attack
is there a gambit like that?

Sonomaa
2006-11-01, 23:59
well fuck, I wasnt aware of a boss fight, ran into it and lost all of tonights grinding

and a killer bow I found too fuckkkk ; ;

SathFenrir
2006-11-02, 00:06
/comfort :(

I did that last night lol, ran into a hard fight and lost like 2 nifty items :(

Toralyn
2006-11-02, 00:14
ooooooooooooh. Does Vaan have Foe:closest (or Foe:closest visible) or Foe:any equipped? If so, take it off and just make it Foe:party leader's target (yes, I get that Vaan is your leader, but it'll quit the constant mob changing).

Sonomaa
2006-11-02, 00:23
ooooooooooooh. Does Vaan have Foe:closest (or Foe:closest visible) or Foe:any equipped? If so, take it off and just make it Foe:party leader's target (yes, I get that Vaan is your leader, but it'll quit the constant mob changing).

that helps but it still requires me to manually target a mob, was hoping to auto target then pay attention to HPs

chain 39 at my new mines campgroundm everyone back to level 11, 2 levels away from where I was before when I started at 10:30 pm, elapsed time to get most exp back, 20 minutes

Pro
2006-11-02, 00:36
I am using that, its just that vaan keeps changing targets on me, then my pt changes targets because I did, maybe Im not explaining it right, but vaan isnt getting on a target and STAYING on that target, I need something like Foe HP less than or equal to 80% = attack
is there a gambit like that?

Take off(turn off) gambit from your party leader.

Toralyn
2006-11-02, 00:37
Wait for the far-away sands. It's like the Mire, or Thickets (before everyone saw the huge chain# screenshots).

Sonomaa
2006-11-02, 00:47
where is the list of who is better at certain weapons, enhanced crit rate and such, I cant find that post