Item Search
     
BG-Wiki Search
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Coffer/Chest Fatigue     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #1
    D. Ring
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,738
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Siren

    Coffer/Chest Fatigue

    Two friends from my ls were hunting for the sky map last nite to use up their keys. They are a husband and wife so they do things together most of the time. After the first one got their map, they found the second one a bit later to have it "become an illusion and disappear".

    I was surprised to find out that the fatigue applies after only opening one coffer and apparently applies across the party. I suggested to try zoning and waiting for it to wear off, but after about 45 minutes later and farming a new key the same thing happened. To which he replied "maybe my payment next month will be an illusion". Did they really implement this that poorly? Are your experiences the same? It would make more sense to me if the fatigue didn't set in until about 3-5 coffers, not 1.

  2. #2
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    575
    BG Level
    5

    I had this happen to me on the KRT chest, and I didn't have a clue wtf was up. When I mentioned it in LS chat a member mentioned the fatigue issue, and that I had too recently opened a chest. However, the only other chest I had opened that day was an item chest I had opened in East Ronfaure about 30 minutes earlier. So my answer to your question is yes, yes they did implement the new fatigue system that poorly.

  3. #3
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    543
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    I thought the purpose of the fix was to make sure that people who wanted coffer keys for their artifact gear did not have to fight over coffers with people who were looking for gil.

    Since whenever I've gone looking for coffers, I've gone alone, this would not impact me at all.

    Sounds like its working just right.

  4. #4
    #Despair
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,949
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

    Quote Originally Posted by Vodou View Post
    I thought the purpose of the fix was to make sure that people who wanted coffer keys for their artifact gear did not have to fight over coffers with people who were looking for gil.

    Since whenever I've gone looking for coffers, I've gone alone, this would not impact me at all.

    Sounds like its working just right.
    The point here is that it affected everyone in the party; thus the player who didn't receive a map was unable to get his/her's. That means this was clearly implemented poorly and needs fixing.

  5. #5
    Hydra
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    129
    BG Level
    3
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    there are some other glaring concerns brought up by this... not the least of which is cross zone applicability. Why in the hell should it apply across zones? Clearly I'm not monopolizing, say, east ronfa when i'm over in Palborough...

    Moreover, that's highly disconcerting if I open a chest in Oldton for a map, and then go to KRT for AF... and then get boned. The system is actually counterproductive as a result... it is preventing the goal it is meant to accomplish.

    Two people in a pt, one needs map, one needs af... One is going to get screwed. Two need map? Already demonstrated that one is getting screwed.

    Also, I note that op said farming a new key... please clarify, when a chest becomes an illusion, it eats up the key anyway? That's horrible, since it isn't necessarily clear when this fatigue wears off... and newer players can often have difficulty getting keys in the first place.

    The only way to interpret this system is that it massively slows down the acquisition of AF and maps by a single player (in favor of, purportedly, all other players who might be looking for a chest in a zone). It does not discriminate against item/gil hunters and af/map hunters. For a system that was meant to make getting maps and af "more frequent" it is sure doing the opposite.

  6. #6
    Nekio
    Guest

    You do not lose your key to fake chests/coffers.

    I'm not sure that the "illusion" is part of the fatigue system, but rather just an adjustment to make camping coffers more of a pain for those looking for gear/items. I opened a chest in QSC for my map (finally), then choco'd over to Kuftal for some WS points. Fought a bunch of mobs and eventually got a key, tried to open the coffer near the Desert entrance and got the illusion. Kept key, backtracked and found new coffer up near the tunnel down to Phantom Worm like 90 seconds later, popped it for 10kish gil.

  7. #7
    D. Ring
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,738
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Siren

    Hmm interesting. So the "illusions" are random and cause it to instantly respawn elsewhere? That would still seem counter productive to what the change was attempting to fix.

  8. #8
    Something witty
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    150
    BG Level
    3
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    If in the event a person opens a coffer for items/gil, no one else can get a coffer for about an hour for the same zone, unless they're looking for af/map. This pisses me off a lot. Other day I was in boyahda, happened to get a key and thought i'd go look for coffer for fun. Well i found it, and so did some other guy, who popped it about 10 seconds before i got there. I thought, no biggy, and went back to ws points. about 5 min later the coffer repopped, and I was thinkin cool! So i went to pop it, and got the illusion message. That's when I asked LS mates about this and found out how it works. Tossed the key on the spot, this is a ludicrous system.

  9. #9
    They're just like us
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,816
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynplaine View Post
    Hmm interesting. So the "illusions" are random and cause it to instantly respawn elsewhere? That would still seem counter productive to what the change was attempting to fix.
    Especially since what the real 'problem' happened to be was botters POS hacking to chests, IIRC. All this does is make it re-fucking-tarded to quest (edit) more than one map at a time.

    (Edit: Re-read, AF doesn't appear affected. But by golly if that is'nt a kick in the balls to map hunters)

  10. #10
    Melee Summoner
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    37
    BG Level
    1
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    I was hunting for MNK AF the other day and had the keys pre-farmed so I could just go get them on MNK back to back. I popped coffer in Garlaige then headed to Beadeaux. I found the coffer but was reluctant to try to open it for fear of it disappearing. Since it is a relatively small pop area I decided to just go for it. It was approx. 30 min between popping each coffer and I got both pieces with no problems. Not sure if 30 min is the limit, or if the fact that it was a completely different coffer has anything to do with it. Could also be because I was hunting AF instead of gil/items. Either way thought I'd share the experience.

  11. #11
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    335
    BG Level
    4

    You can get the "The chest was but an illusion..." message without opening any chests at all. I received that opening my first Treasure Coffer post-update; the last Coffer I'd opened on that character was two months prior.

    I couldn't tell if the Coffer had been in that spot a while and it was an issue of age. I found and successfully opened the Coffer in a different location about five minutes later after cycling through the locations again.

  12. #12
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,656
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Orson Dara
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

    Wasn't the way coffers gave gil before was that they didn't split the gil but gave the max amount to everyone in the party? It would make sense that it would fatigue everyone in the party to prevent the people who were dual-boxing, etc.

  13. #13
    Hydra
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    129
    BG Level
    3
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    the issue is however, that this system is not logically consistent with the stated goals and reasoning.

    What it really achieves is fewer chest & coffer openings / time over the entire server... time being hour, minutes, or whatever period of time you feel is appropriate as a measure here. The net effect is that there are fewer successful chest/coffer openings across the entire server (not restricted to particular zones like boyhowdy or CN).

    That penalizes everyone... especially if it's not related to a prior opening at all:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teorem View Post
    You can get the "The chest was but an illusion..." message without opening any chests at all. I received that opening my first Treasure Coffer post-update; the last Coffer I'd opened on that character was two months prior.

    I couldn't tell if the Coffer had been in that spot a while and it was an issue of age. I found and successfully opened the Coffer in a different location about five minutes later after cycling through the locations again.
    Can you imagine? You finally find a coffer in Ifrit's Cauldron... but it's an illusion, because you happened to open it for a map a few months (or a year?) ago... or just completely randomly, it's an illusion. GG.

    I'm assuming the normal rules apply - you need to drop invis to trade a key, illusion or not (in other words, it's determined randomly at the point of trade, and not when spawned)... and you will lose sneak if it's an illusion (verify?).

    So not only did you get boned for no reason, but now potentially you are getting aggro by zone mobs as a result. That might not be a problem for every job and every zone... But that could definitely suck for newer players, where they have to be on the job, in a bad zone (like IC...)

    I wonder if this also affects thf tool attempts?

  14. #14
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,475
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    I was helping some friends camp a nm and while I killed all the Ph's I had them go farm cocktrice meat in. They both got a key and decided to go open a chest. After awhile I just hear them talk about every chest they find turns out to be an illusion. I thought they were joking but it seems they weren't.

Similar Threads

  1. Chest/Coffer Fatigue (Illusionary Chest BS)
    By Kimiko in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 2009-03-19, 19:14
  2. Treasure Chest/Coffer moving if unopened?
    By MaachaQ in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 2007-11-05, 20:05
  3. THFs and Coffers
    By Naver in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2007-09-28, 12:47
  4. Treasure chests available before engaging Ultima
    By cdgreg in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 2007-08-20, 09:47
  5. Apollyon SE Time Chests?
    By Elesirdur in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2007-07-09, 01:01