Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Paging file     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #1
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    18,369
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

    Paging file

    So, brand new laptop arrived today. I love the shit out of it. Have been spending the past 4 hours stripping it of the bloatware and deactivating unnecessary autostart programs. I'm still new to this shit but I think I'm doing decently.

    Stumbling around and checking performance specs I came across "Paging File" and I looked up some stuff about it and it seems awesome, but from what I see it gets mixed reviews?

    I have 4GB of DDR3(?) RAM and didn't know if the system managed, none, or increased settings would be better for my new laptop?

  2. #2
    ▲
    ▲▲

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,801
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    Leave it sys controlled.

  3. #3
    alsohawks

    ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,960
    BG Level
    8

    For new laptop de-fuckifying, try http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/ and yeah, as far as the paging file is concerned, there are some dubious performance claims made for altering it, but ultimately it's really more a matter of gaining or losing a tiny slice of storage that the .sys file itself takes up.

  4. #4
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,562
    BG Level
    7

    if you have a small SSD drive for the OS and a larger non-ssd drive, you should move it to the other drive. you can also turn off the other huge file which is hiberfil.sys.

    i'd say both of these changes are for advanced users though.

  5. #5
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    586
    BG Level
    5

    I'm personally against hibernation , so I would suggest to turn it off (hiberfil.sys is your hibernation file). most people problems come from coming back from sleep and hibernation.

    Also some extreme habits to take care of your battery:

    1)if your laptop is going to be stationed for long periods of time to an AC outlet, take the battery out.

    2) heat kills your laptop battery life cycles.

    3) Less extreme, unplug your laptop when you turn it off. (majority of laptops don't overcharge the battery, but is pretty much safer to just unplug)

  6. #6
    RIDE ARMOR
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    11
    BG Level
    1

    If you have two harddrives, I would suggest moving the pagefile to the non-OS harddrive.

    If not, just leave it system managed, there's many different reasons to not disable it which you can find with a quick google search. It's very beneficial even if you have plenty of RAM.