+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

ELI5: So what was the ultimate outcome of Absolute Virtue's tactics?

Explain like I'm 5!

Before the level cap upping and the release of the AV video showing the use of 2 hours to match AV's usage of them to weaken/lock him, was that actually the intended tactic? For all intents and purposes, I don't recall it working based on the research/attempts of the detailed threads, or if it did it was by sheer luck (which I don't ever recalling it working...maybe). And then there's her benediction to shaft you all randomly, and then everything breaks down and moral goes out the window. Plus spaghetti code and whatnot and possible glitches/bugs everyone has a chance randomly encountering.

I know nowadays his drops are worth probably nothing and that he can be brute forced down, but still this boss always served as an interesting entity to me of the game.

Did we just give up somewhere/sometime on AV until level cap got to 99?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Locking 2hrs was yeah one of the tactics but if you remember the video it literally shows the same character leaving to come back and use a different 2 hour multiple times and SE even said it took them like I think it was like 12 hours or something.

iirc it was only really killed using methods that got patched for being "wrong" until they changed it and pw to be fights that only lasted 2 hours at most

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

The community figured out his 2hr order. They were in groups. (made up but for example) Mighty strikes > Call Wyvern > Benediction. If you locked MS (using 2hr right after he did) he couldn't do Call Wyvern or Benediction. The problem was there was no order to the grouping, so you had to be ready for any and everything.

People got past the 2hrs via the above strategy but then he would go into Bracelets mode and rape the tanks. Nobody got much further than 20-30% if I remember right.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Wow so no one "legitimately" beat him back in the day? That is wild

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I honestly question if the devs actually "legitimately" beat it in the vid. Thing was designed to be unbeatable and anytime anyone did or even looked like they might be able to they'd patch the method

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Where's Urat. He knows all about this shit.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

After everyone just used DRKs to Souleater zerg kill Absolute Virtue, SE responded by going on a tirade of "Fuck Souleater" for years. Starting with ACP and ending with Abyssea. Until the new posterboy became Perfect Defense with Embrava and stunning so they then nerfed PD and Embrava.

After that when everyone lost their shit (like players do with everything) over Delve weapons replacing ultimate weapons for quite a long time (and everyone lost their shit and went berserk over it) we had a decent balance of people shouting for DRGs even for Tojil's piercing weakness stage. Assortment of jobs for skirmish, etc. We had a brief fad again soon after of pussying around inefficiently with relic rangers for half the shouts (HTBFs). Following the ceasation of taking RNGs and PLD to Ouryu like a bunch of mooks we proceeded to BST everything until the distance change everyone called "a nerf" that wasn't.

Following that it became BLM SCH everything because evasion of new eschan enemies was so imbalanced you simply couldn't melee them effectively without extremely geared and buffed players. Even then it still was shitty. So eventually after that SE realized the goofed on GEO magic accuracy potency from bubbles, lowered evasion/enemy combat skills a couple of times, adjusted stupid RDM, and everyone was lost for a bit as meleeing seemed foreign to them and aside from the best groups, struggled to repeat the tried and tested SCH + BLM methods. Eventually everyone found themselves again by meleeing or now the new fad to boring mode the game without any real knowledge or talent whatsoever, SMN burn everything with astral flow, conduit, and BP spam it to death. So now nothing is hard in the game at all again after ups and downs, shitty players turned achievements into trivial acquisitions that only new players find hard, and SE has ignored changing Astral Conduit, botched two MNK adjustments, and is as clueless as they have always been.

TL;DR, AV tactics resulted in typical cat and mouse of nerfs, adjustments, and new ways to get around any obstacle which SE still doesn't like.

But hey, when you release something based on luck like NNI and put the best items in the game behind it. Then yeah I would tell SE to fuck themselves and try to find any trick they don't want to expect to get beyond it too.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

It's so surprising when you remember all these trends FFXI underwent. Makes me wish there were some sort of narrative history of all FFXI's trends and their gameplay history. The evolutionary battle between exploitative player tactics and dev patches really show what drove the game's path.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

The XI drama stuff up on the bar covers a lot of stuff,

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Also the FAQ

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Don't forget the attempts using like 6+ Modus veritas all within fractions of a second of each other that no one was able to achieve because it's a logistic nightmare but it being every so theoretical possible caused SE to make the JA useless to this day... even after testing a few years showed it probably wouldn't even have worked (assuming you could get the timing down) since apparently there is a cap on dot dmg anyways.

Or the Wall of Justice which I believe worked once before they "fixed" it and threatened to ban people using it

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Even if the JA didn't suck, SCHs only use would still be weather and forming SCs.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well if they unnerfed it AND there wasn't a cap on the dot dmg 1 sch in good nuking gear could MB a good dmg one and a bunch could modus it to deal literally millions of dmg in a second

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Too many ifs.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

That settles my question then. Basically once that official video got released followed by several attempts/testing, I sorta lost the actual progress. The following level cap release and expansions also served to cloud everything up.

I was seeking 1 of 2 closures. Either there was a legit method worked out with assistance from the video (which actually worked as said above, until AV gets to 30%/bracelets), or it still remains a mystery if there was a legit method (official video's "debug/test realm" feel is questionable) at all. Brute force killing it post 75 doesn't count, so ...

Ah well. When the game finally gets retired I would love them to fully explain themselves to us surrounding AV.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The trick was to zoom in on the clock.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    Too many ifs.
    Well already started with the even if it didn't suck. So in the world of if it didn't suck for sch to still be regulated to just skillchain monkey all you'd have to really do is get rid of the dot cap and find 1 sch with a good nuking set. It does really beg the question though if there was a dot cap wtf did SE even nerf the ja

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Don't forget the attempts using like 6+ Modus veritas all within fractions of a second of each other that no one was able to achieve because it's a logistic nightmare but it being every so theoretical possible caused SE to make the JA useless to this day... even after testing a few years showed it probably wouldn't even have worked (assuming you could get the timing down) since apparently there is a cap on dot dmg anyways.

Or the Wall of Justice which I believe worked once before they "fixed" it and threatened to ban people using it
    I'm pretty sure they added the cap on DoT after nerfing Modus Veritas, which continues to be the dumbest nerf in history because instead of making it miss 99% of the time (even on a level 0 rabbit) and making NMs flat out immune, they could have simply made it so it could only be used once on an enemy. They turned a perfectly viable and balanced JA into useless trash basically in fear of someone hurting their precious AV with an alliance of SCH and went way overboard

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by jacobs67 View Post
    I'm pretty sure they added the cap on DoT after nerfing Modus Veritas, which continues to be the dumbest nerf in history because instead of making it miss 99% of the time (even on a level 0 rabbit) and making NMs flat out immune, they could have simply made it so it could only be used once on an enemy. They turned a perfectly viable and balanced JA into useless trash basically in fear of someone hurting their precious AV with an alliance of SCH and went way overboard
    They may have. It was never announced and we didn't really have the means to reach it back then without multiple MVs. Regardless of order of when implemented 1 takes away any real reason for the other

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by jacobs67 View Post
    went way overboard
    Welcome to every SE nerf

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast