Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Epic Storefront | Epic Publishing - Fortnite Money is a Helluva Drug

• Control
    • The Outer Worlds (also coming to the Windows Store)
    • Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey
    • Afterparty
    • Industries of Titan
    • Journey to the Savage Planet
    • Kine
    • Phoenix Planet
    • The Sinking City
    • Soul Ash
    Ubisoft Extends Partnership, Quantic Dreams to Bring Past Titles Exclusively
    • Following the successful launch of Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 on the Epic Games store, Ubisoft and the Epic Games store announced an extension to their agreement that will bring several major PC releases to the store in partnership with their Uplay division. Details will be revealed in the future by Ubisoft.
    • Additional back catalog titles from Ubisoft are confirmed for Epic’s free games program.
    • Award-winning studio Quantic Dream will bring its critically acclaimed portfolio -- Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Become Human -- to PC for the first time, exclusively to the store.

Epic also revealed that Deep Silver’s Metro: Exodus sold more than 2.5 times as many copies in its first few weeks on the Epic Games store in comparison to the previous franchise release ( Metro: Last Light ) on Steam over the same period of time. In addition, both Subnautica from Unknown Worlds Entertainment and Slime Rancher from Monomi Park each exceeded 4,500,000 downloads in their two-week runs as free offerings on Epic’s store.
    https://www.apnews.com/b8e9b5975d434193b7932caa09d07924

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well, it's great they're bringing Quantic Dream games to pc, if anything

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

https://store.steampowered.com/app/916440/Anno_1800/

Anno 1800 is being pulled from Steam on April 16th to become an Epic Store exclusive. May not come back to Steam.

Notice: Sales of Anno 1800 will be discontinued on Steam after April 16th due to a publisher decision to make the game exclusive to another PC store.

The publisher has assured us that all prior sales of the game on Steam will be fulfilled on Steam, and Steam owners will be able to access the game and any future updates or DLC through Steam.

We apologize to Steam customers that were expecting it to be available for sale after the April 16th release date.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Epic is offering BL3 keys on GMG. There's more to it, but the gist is it's a win for consumers and a loss for developers due to the inner workings of Epic.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Epic Game Store is in the middle of a fantastic shit show.

They started a sale without apparently warning a bunch of publishers, which has had results ranging from one developer jacking up their price in response (Hades from Supergiant Games), Ubisoft delisting their games from the store, and some games being pulled entirely while the sale is going on (Bloodlines 2 and Oxygen Not Included).

And apparently buying too many games will get ones account listed as fraudulent.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post

They started a sale without apparently warning a bunch of publishers, which has had results ranging from one developer jacking up their price in response (Hades from Supergiant Games), Ubisoft delisting their games from the store, and some games being pulled entirely while the sale is going on (Bloodlines 2 and Oxygen Not Included).

And apparently buying too many games will get ones account listed as fraudulent.
    “More money for devs!”

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post

https://kotaku.com/publishers-pull-t...its-1834828248

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2, the upcoming action RPG, disappeared first, and nobody was quite sure what to make of it. It was briefly available for a discounted price, but then suddenly, it was gone. Trying to access the game’s store page currently returns a 404 error. An Epic representative told Kotaku that Vampire: The Masquerade publisher Paradox chose at the last second—or after the last second, technically—to not participate in the sale.

The other game that was pulled was space station survival sim Oxygen Not Included, the Epic Games Store page for which also gives visitors a 404 error right now. Developer and publisher Klei Entertainment has yet to comment on why this happened.

Epic’s bouncing baby store has had other first-time mega-sale-related hiccups, as well. Hades, the early access roguelite from the makers of Bastion and Pyre, was briefly priced incorrectly at $6.99, and developer Supergiant corrected it with a confusing increase not only to the game’s sale price (which is now $14.99), but also its base price, which was $19.99 but is now $24.99.

[Updated: 5/16/2019, 9:50 PM ET - Supergiant has brought Hades’ base price back down to $19.99, where it will stay for the duration of the sale. However, it’s no longer offering a 25 percent discount on top of Epic’s discount, meaning that Hades is currently priced at $9.99. “After the sale is over, on June 14, we will be raising the game’s retail price to $24.99,” the developer said in a statement posted in its Discord. “We had intended to raise the retail price of the game soon, but made the decision rashly as part of the sale—we didn’t provide advance notice to our customers, despite previously stating we would do so. That was our mistake, and we sincerely apologize. To all our players, thank you for your patience and understanding around this.”]
    As for accounts being banned. I'm only finding posts on /v/ mentioning it. No news site has picked it up.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    So wait, is epic eating the loss in sales, or did they just turn on the sale switch and forget to inform all the publishers?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My guess is eating loss in sales. They seem to be trying to strongarm their store into general populace by throwing money around and this seems just like another way.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

So then why would publishers pull their game if they're being fully reimbursed? Or did they just not know that and pulled their games prematurely?

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Alright I went to another forum and they explained it lol.

Epic is reimbursing publishers for the full price, not sale price. So devs and publishers still get their full money for a sale. However, two devs didn't want to participate in free money, so Epic decided to pull their games from the store, likely until the sale is completed.

Epic swinging their big dick around is a sight to behold lmao. Take the free increase in demand for your game that were going to pay you for, or get taken down. Seems silly not to participate in the most publisher friendly sale ever put together, but it also seems silly to take down games from your store cause they dont want to be on sale.

Idk who's stupider here, but I think not letting the store reimburse you for bringing more traffic to the platform wins the title.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

The 'problem' is the publishers didn't consent to those sale prices. Despite epic eating the cost, it's not necessarily in their best interest long term. If a new game (or a game that isn't even out yet), has some huge temporary price cut, it could hamper their ability to sell at the normal price afterwards. For example, if the initial adopters of your game paid $4 for it, it encourages future buyers to wait for another sale instead of paying $20 or whatever for it. This also extends to their future games which will likely not be subsidized by EGS in this way. Even if it is a net-gain, I imagine many publishers would rather crunch the numbers themselves and control their own prices (like with steam sales), rather than have epic do it for them.

Additionally, not all of those games are EGS exclusive. If the publisher wanted price parity on EGS/steam/GoG/whatever.... they can't with this type of sale, without taking a huge hit to themselves on other platforms trying to match EGS. They may not want their customers funneled into a single storefront that has a pretty good chance to crash and burn in the long run.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I went to the Epic store to see what this was all about and what I took away from it was Quantic Dream games Detroit, Heavy Rain, and Beyond Two Souls are coming to PC. Time to sell my unopened PS4 copy of Detroit.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    The 'problem' is the publishers didn't consent to those sale prices. Despite epic eating the cost, it's not necessarily in their best interest long term. If a new game (or a game that isn't even out yet), has some huge temporary price cut, it could hamper their ability to sell at the normal price afterwards. For example, if the initial adopters of your game paid $4 for it, it encourages future buyers to wait for another sale instead of paying $20 or whatever for it. This also extends to their future games which will likely not be subsidized by EGS in this way. Even if it is a net-gain, I imagine many publishers would rather crunch the numbers themselves and control their own prices (like with steam sales), rather than have epic do it for them.

Additionally, not all of those games are EGS exclusive. If the publisher wanted price parity on EGS/steam/GoG/whatever.... they can't with this type of sale, without taking a huge hit to themselves on other platforms trying to match EGS. They may not want their customers funneled into a single storefront that has a pretty good chance to crash and burn in the long run.
    If you think Epic is gonna crash and burn in the long run...lol. You clearly dont know what Unreal Engine is. They were a wildly successful game development company before battle royale was even a game category. They are still a wildly successful company even if you remove Fortnite money.

If you think people might not want to buy a game unless it's on sale after seeing this sale from Epic...why couldn't that exact same reasoning apply to every single Steam sale? Games on sale on steam are not always on sale at every publishing location for PC. Price parity doesnt really matter if you're recouping the difference in sale price from the publisher anyways. You might just not want people to see your game on sale so that they continue to buy it at full price later, but those same people will likely not buy your game anyways until they see it on sale lol.

Also, their choice was to either not sell the game on a platform that would reimburse them the full price that they earn more money on, or remove the game and only sell it on another platform for a higher price that doesnt reimburse them as much anyways. I question that business decision lol. Especially when traffic is increased to a store front when there is a sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I went to the Epic store to see what this was all about and what I took away from it was Quantic Dream games Detroit, Heavy Rain, and Beyond Two Souls are coming to PC. Time to sell my unopened PS4 copy of Detroit.
    Aw man, no point in keeping the ps4 copy now but give the game a shot. I enjoyed it immensely.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Oh for sure I plan to play Detroit. Only reason I bought it was I had an expiring $10 Best Buy coupon and it was on sale for $20. That was months ago. Or maybe I'll keep it. I just finished building my couch PC so I need to see how well it will play games at higher resolutions. If it can't handle 1440P then I may just play the PS4 version.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    If you think people might not want to buy a game unless it's on sale after seeing this sale from Epic...why couldn't that exact same reasoning apply to every single Steam sale?
    It... does? The difference is, steam sales are opt-in. Publishers choose if they want to participate in a sale, which of their games are included, and what the discounts are.

This EGS sale applies across the board for their entire storefront, with no ability to opt-out, short of removing your games from the store, or lowering prices below the threshold that the extra $10 discount would apply.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

My point is, having a store sale increases sales of your game, and if the publisher is reimbursing for the lost revenue from the sale price, then why not participate? Especially if that publisher is already giving you more per sale than any competitor; it seems counter intuitive. They're willingly taking fewer sales of their product, in exchange for...? They could sell for full price on steam and still not make the same amount of money. I'm not trying to be cute, I just really dont understand the decision.

It's not like PC gamers haven't already come to expect their games to go on sale thanks to how frequent steam sales are, we all know it's a matter of time. Not participating in this is just like...wha?

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Epic Storefront - Fortnite Money is a Helluva Drug

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    They could sell for full price on steam and still not make the same amount of money. I'm not trying to be cute, I just really dont understand the decision.
    I can almost guarantee that if you pin the same game at any time on steam and EGS, steam will outsell the fuck out of EGS, full price or not, and likely profit more, because the platform is outright much better, and more secure.

I understand both points clearly, but i also sympathize more with the publisher pulling the game. Like it was stated before, a sale without warning is fucked up, but will work in the short term, but if it’s a storewide thing, even new games are getting gimped, not in profits, but in overall sales in the long run. If i released a game 3 days ago in EGS for $20, and now suddenly it’s half off, and when the sale is over, i stop making profit, i’m outright fucked, and would be stuck with EGS cuz i can’t publish to Steam where i know it would sell no matter what.

Sure it’s all about the consumers, but consumers also vote with their wallet, and i as a consumer wouldn’t get (for example) a pc graphics card on release, rather wait until the prices go down, and wouldn’t mind getting “last year’s model” but i’m saving a significant amount of $$$$.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsuki View Post
    I can almost guarantee that if you pin the same game at any time on steam and EGS, steam will outsell the fuck out of EGS, full price or not, and likely profit more, because the platform is outright much better, and more secure.

I understand both points clearly, but i also sympathize more with the publisher pulling the game. Like it was stated before, a sale without warning is fucked up, but will work in the short term, but if it’s a storewide thing, even new games are getting gimped, not in profits, but in overall sales in the long run. If i released a game 3 days ago in EGS for $20, and now suddenly it’s half off, and when the sale is over, i stop making profit, i’m outright fucked, and would be stuck with EGS cuz i can’t publish to Steam where i know it would sell no matter what.

Sure it’s all about the consumers, but consumers also vote with their wallet, and i as a consumer wouldn’t get (for example) a pc graphics card on release, rather wait until the prices go down, and wouldn’t mind getting “last year’s model” but i’m saving a significant amount of $$$$.
    How are you fucked after the sale if the store wide sale is reimbursing you for the full price, and afterwards the game goes back to full price anyways? Using your $20 example, you'd make the same profit either way (actually more cause egs pays you out more per copy than steam), and after the sale the prices return to normal. Even steam games go back to the normal price after a sale.

The only excuse I can fathom is people being on the edge of buying the game deciding not to, and then by the time they change it back the sale is already over. That's not a loss though, as the person wasn't even interested in your game until the sale, and having fresh eyes contemplating buying your game is the whole point to a sale anyways.

Or maybe if steam was putting either of these games on the front splash page as part of advertising that's one thing, but they'd pay for that unless they were at the top of the charts (they're not). The same people who would buy the full price game on steam can buy the discounted version on egs, and the devs get the same amount back. The only people they "miss out on" are the niche of gamers who refuse to download egs, and who haven't already bought these games but want to on steam (which means they never would have bought it on egs to begin with which means they're not even potential customers anyways). The same ones who refused to download origins (I'm assuming), but who I'd wager wouldnt buy either of those two games at full price anyways lol.

Its shitty they didn't give a heads up, but it's stupid that you'd pull your product that is receiving free advertisement in the form of "were giving all your customers a coupon to our store, paid for out of our pockets".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast