• Navigation
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Allons-y!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    390
    BG Level
    4

    SSD optimizing/not performing spectacularly

    Recently bought an Intel 510 250gb SSD. Set PC to AHCI in bios, put a fresh install of win 7 pro 64bit onto the drive, ran the intel SSd toolbox optimize functions, ran the SSD tweak tool, done a few other things I found on google, but it's still not benchmarking anywhere near the high scores it should be (I think)

    Benchmark:
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y25...dbenchmark.png

    Is there anything obvious I've missed? Or not so obvious, anything at all really.

    I don't have the intel rapid storage technology program or driver installed, could that make such a huge difference? Not even sure if this is relevant for my system.

  2. #2
    2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,688
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    What motherboard do you have?

  3. #3
    Allons-y!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    390
    BG Level
    4

    Asus P6T Deluxe V2, supports Sata 3. It's not Sata 6, but should still be performing close to optimally, no?

  4. #4
    2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,688
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    First of all, the Intel RST driver -does- apply to your system, so I would definitely install it.

    Second, without SATA 6g, those numbers look about right. Your motherboard IS holding you back. With SATA 6g, you'd be seeing closer to 500 MB/s reads and probably 300 MB/s or so writes. You could add something like THIS (assuming you have a free PCIe x1 slot, as most do). It may require you to provide a driver disk when you install Windows though, idk.

    *edit*

    Corrected link, I linked to the wrong product (woops). Also, I wouldn't actually recommend buying an add-in SATA 6g controller to run the SSD faster. Those cards get pretty shit reviews, a lot of people say they don't work and/or die quickly, and so on. I'd recommend living with SATA 3g transfer rates until the time comes for a new motherboard.

  5. #5
    Allons-y!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    390
    BG Level
    4

    thanks for your help Arkanna, I'm going to stick with the drive I have and the settings its on now for the time being.

    My PC hit 3 years old which is my general accepted lifespan of a machine, so I was upgraidng the parts that I figured would make the biggest difference. I went from 6gb 1333 ram to 24gb 1666, and SSD, which is still a massive performance increase even with the 3gb/s SATA connectors throttling it.

    when I next upgrade in a few years I'll just do the whole lot again to whatever is current highest spec.

    thanks again!

  6. #6
    2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,688
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    No problem at all, I just wish I had better news for you. LGA1366 is pretty much a dead platform at this point too, so I don't think it'd be wise to replace the motherboard with another and not also replace the CPU. Shit sucks.

    Also, I'd suggest using ATTO to test your SSD, I prefer it over AS SSD.