Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,970
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

    BG Travel: Seen enough of Vana'diel and Eorza, time to explore IRL

    I'm pretty sure BG lacks an all purpose travel thread, so I figured, "what the hell, I'll start one, even though it'll get derailed into whether or not French or Swedish girls give better head".

    Figure it can be used for random questions and area recommendations.

    Shockingly, I have an ulterior motive for all of this... to answer my own questions - which I probably could have googled 100 times faster. But nonetheless, here goes...

    Looking into Europe for Summer of 2014, preferably about 3 weeks, for two people. There's plenty of places we'd like to hit up, including London, Paris, Italy, maybe Ireland...

    - How much can be done in three weeks, without it being a whirlwind of train/plane whateverthefuck?

    - How much should reasonably be budgeted for such a trip, assuming liveable accommodations, good cuisine (but no McDonald's shit, etc...), travel costs, sightseeing costs, etc?

    - Preference is to do this with only cabs/available transport - because to hell with trying to figure out European traffic laws on vacation. Feasible?

    - For those who have taken European trips, any "must sees", or awesome itineraries?

  2. #2
    Canada
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,482
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Mlle Skjie
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

    Yeah, but he's not looking for coke in this thread.

  3. #3
    The Shitlord
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    11,560
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

    Eorzea got nuked, bro. Gonna be a whole new place soon. Also, Vana'Diel's talons sink deep. YOU'LL BE BACK.

  4. #4
    Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

    The Immortal Bill Duke

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    15,697
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    I'm pretty sure BG lacks an all purpose travel thread, so I figured, "what the hell, I'll start one, even though it'll get derailed into whether or not French or Swedish girls give better head".

    Figure it can be used for random questions and area recommendations.

    Shockingly, I have an ulterior motive for all of this... to answer my own questions - which I probably could have googled 100 times faster. But nonetheless, here goes...

    Looking into Europe for Summer of 2014, preferably about 3 weeks, for two people. There's plenty of places we'd like to hit up, including London, Paris, Italy, maybe Ireland...

    - How much can be done in three weeks, without it being a whirlwind of train/plane whateverthefuck?

    - How much should reasonably be budgeted for such a trip, assuming liveable accommodations, good cuisine (but no McDonald's shit, etc...), travel costs, sightseeing costs, etc?

    - Preference is to do this with only cabs/available transport - because to hell with trying to figure out European traffic laws on vacation. Feasible?

    - For those who have taken European trips, any "must sees", or awesome itineraries?
    european McDonalds is superior; i'd give it a shot, just to say you did. Get a beer there, while you're at it.

    Get to Copenhagen, Rotterdam, or Amsterdam, if you can. I had a blast in all those places.

    Spain was BEAUTIFUL. Scenery, food, women, all of it. They're poor too, so your money will stretch a bit. Avoid Copenhagen/Rotter/Amster if you're low on money; expensive as fuck. People from Paris are fuckers; hit the other places. I went to Nice; was a very nice time. On the Riviera though, so a bit expensive if you wanna do shopping.

  5. #5
    The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    15,071
    BG Level
    9
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

    Pretty much anywhere in Europe will be an entirely different experience. I was stationed in Germany, knew about 15 words of the language, and I loved it. You just learn so much more by seeing other cultures. I would love to go back there. I was stationed in Hanau which isn't too far from Frankfurt, great shopping district there.

    Honestly I'm not as traveled as I would like to be. I will watch this thread because I'd love to see others' recommendations. I've spent most of my travel time going to Mexico to visit family, for obvious reasons. But one of these days, I'd love to hop an ocean again.

  6. #6
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,119
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

    Europe is kind of tough to gauge expenses. The big cities are ridiculous, but the countryside worth seeing is also ridiculous because they cater to tourists that want luxury. You have to decide what you want to accomplish while there. Be a "tourist" bouncing from castles and museums to ruins of castles and churches, or be someone on vacation going to a place to relax and enjoy the immediate surrounding area. If you choose the later, you can pick the handful of cities you want to see and start searching for nice hotels and get a budget going. The former involves all kinds of unplanned commuting and concession/admission add-ons.

    I'd say pick your cities to spend a few days at that have at least one attraction that won't take more than half a day unless you want it to and that are easy to get to from your accommodations.

    P.S. Paris is awful. Dirty old city full of pickpockets. Hit up Italy if you want that romance vibe. In fact, screw Europe, go to the Mediterranean.

  7. #7
    The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    32,666
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    european McDonalds is superior; i'd give it a shot, just to say you did. Get a beer there, while you're at it.

    Get to Copenhagen, Rotterdam, or Amsterdam, if you can. I had a blast in all those places.

    Spain was BEAUTIFUL. Scenery, food, women, all of it. They're poor too, so your money will stretch a bit. Avoid Copenhagen/Rotter/Amster if you're low on money; expensive as fuck. People from Paris are fuckers; hit the other places. I went to Nice; was a very nice time. On the Riviera though, so a bit expensive if you wanna do shopping.
    YOU WENT TO NICE AND IT WAS NICE?

  8. #8
    Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

    The Immortal Bill Duke

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    15,697
    BG Level
    9

    YES, NIGGA

    2 weeks before i went to Croatia, in fact

  9. #9
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,330
    BG Level
    9




  10. #10
    King of the Jews
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,701
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

    Honestly, anywhere in the Mediterranean is pretty awesome. I can provide insight on Spain, Italy, Croacia, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, or Morocco(I did Semester at Sea Summer 2010 when I was 17).

  11. #11
    Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    51,522
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    I'm pretty sure BG lacks an all purpose travel thread, so I figured, "what the hell, I'll start one, even though it'll get derailed into whether or not French or Swedish girls give better head".

    Figure it can be used for random questions and area recommendations.

    Shockingly, I have an ulterior motive for all of this... to answer my own questions - which I probably could have googled 100 times faster. But nonetheless, here goes...

    Looking into Europe for Summer of 2014, preferably about 3 weeks, for two people. There's plenty of places we'd like to hit up, including London, Paris, Italy, maybe Ireland...

    - How much can be done in three weeks, without it being a whirlwind of train/plane whateverthefuck?

    - How much should reasonably be budgeted for such a trip, assuming liveable accommodations, good cuisine (but no McDonald's shit, etc...), travel costs, sightseeing costs, etc?

    - Preference is to do this with only cabs/available transport - because to hell with trying to figure out European traffic laws on vacation. Feasible?

    - For those who have taken European trips, any "must sees", or awesome itineraries?
    - I'd recommend make your hub station Germany, smack dab in the middle of everything you want to visit with plenty of American support around should an emergency arise. Trains are a reality you're going to have to deal with to get around, learn it and love it.

    - A good 3~4k in euro's saved up to get anywhere within a three week period is a very comfortable budget for two individuals.

    - You're going to pay out the ass, just learn to use the train system. It's ridiculously easy and damn near everywhere in Europe has an English option when purchasing tickets.

    - Definite must see? Bull fights in Spain while eating paella from any local restaurant, Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany have awesome tours and the Cinderella castle is freaking bad ass, Habsburg palace in Austria where Hitler gave speeches out of, Leaning Tower of Pisa in Italy now that the top floor has been re-opened, the multiple stonehenges in Englad they don't show you on TV, the Scottish highlands which are simply breathtaking, I can go on and on. With only three weeks though I'd prioritize those unless you had something else in mind.

    I purposely skipped Paris because really, it's not worth it unless you feel like battling through countless African immigrants trying to sell you trinkets while paying out the ass for French ham and cheese sandwich, pastry, and water. If you really want the French experience go to Bordeaux.

Similar Threads

  1. A message from Ghosts of Vana'diel
    By Mybrokenwings in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2004-09-26, 06:48