Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: MP3 player...     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #1
    Hydra
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    122
    BG Level
    3
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

    MP3 player...

    =( My lovely IRiver broke, and I'm having a very hard time finding support for it, since IRiver America doesn't sell them anymore, and it's out of warranty.... I considered getting a new player alltogether, but I'm really having a hard time settling for an IPod, seeing how many problems it brought for my brother.

    Sooooooo....

    Help me out BG! Which would you recomend? ...If in reality IPod has more pros than cons compared to the other brands out there, then I'll probably buy one...but if any of you have any experience with anything other than IPod, I'd like to hear it.

    I'm basically looking for something like IRiver that I can buy new, with a warranty (not ebay). Something that will hold all my music (60+ gigs), and can play a variety of formats (not just mp3), it would be hotter if it had a microphone so I could record live sound....and I don't want gay software to put music in my player (thus why I loved my IRiver).

    I appreciate any suggestions. =)

  2. #2
    E. Body
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,255
    BG Level
    7

    i have an iRiver h320 that i really, really like. i use my iPod nano over it though because iTunes is incredibly convenient, but the h320 has done me a lot of good for the couple years i used it. it's able to play videos (though converting them is a bit of a hassle) and my 20 gigs has lasted me a long, long time. battery life is about 14 hours without charging, it's really nice. not sure if you want to buy another iRiver, but yeah. i ordered mine online at a partially obscure store, but it was a while ago so i don't remember.

    sorry if this wasn't what you wanted to hear. ;3

  3. #3
    Hydra
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    122
    BG Level
    3
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

    Yeah =P

    Mine is a H340. I'm seriously considering buying one to replace it on ebay...but I keep thinking that if I'm going to spend more than $250 for it again, I might as well upgrade.

    FYI, I have about 50 gigs of music.

  4. #4
    E. Body
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,255
    BG Level
    7

    yeah. well, the iPod video players are really nice, everyone i know that has one is incredibly satisfied with it. a 60GB+ might run you more than 250 bucks, but as far as i'm concerned my friends (and myself included) have had a positive experience with their iPod.

    the only situation i can recall is that an iPod nano my friend received just stopped working after a year, but all the higher-end, more expensive models (20, 40, 60 gigs) have been fine.

  5. #5
    New Merits
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    225
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

    Get one of the new 5th generation iPods, either the 60 or 80g if you need that much space. Not only do they have video compatibility, but are incredibly reliable and integrate seamlessly with iTunes (duh); which has an amazing user experience anyway.

  6. #6
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    696
    BG Level
    5

    I can safely say that my iPod is the best thing I've bought in the last 3 years. I remember my iPod before my cell phone when I leave the house.

  7. #7
    Bringer of Bacon
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    288
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    I'm not sure about iPods made in the last year or so, but I've had very bad luck with them before. I've owned 3 iPods, the first one the battery went bad, the other 2 the hard drives just stoped working. They were all nice while they worked though.

    On the other hand, I have been very happy with my Creative Zen Vision:M 60gb. The only huge downside to it is the thickness, Its about twice as thick as a newer 60/80gb iPod video is.

  8. #8
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,119
    BG Level
    7

    get a zune.

  9. #9
    preachy and pretentious
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,801
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    I can vouch for creative products being fantastic. I own a Creative Jukebox Zen Xtra (60 gig). I have it since they released em and it still fucking works. If it dies soon, I'll upgrade to a ZEN Vision:M 60 G

  10. #10
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,063
    BG Level
    6

    My ipod has never given me any troubles at all, and I've had it for a good year and a half now. I used to use it all the time when I rode a bike to work and took public transport a lot, but anymore it doesn't get much use.

  11. #11
    Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    28,603
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

    my bro had a creative, which he loved till he dropped it one too many times and it just wouldn't power on anymore. but i'd get creative myself as well if I was to buy one today.

  12. #12
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,588
    BG Level
    6

    Been using Ipod for about 5 years now. My first ipod is the first gen 20gb that bought from ebay lol. It works great except like some electronic you can't let it expose in the temperature for -10C for about half hrs or else you need to let it completely rest(yea, dont touch it, dont charge it at all) for 24hrs, then it will alive again.

    well, now I using the 4th gen that bought about 1 and half years ago, i still working fine even though i accidentally drop it from 2-3feets last few weeks >.>


    and oh yea, my first gen i sold to my friend cheap, and don't know how the way he use it, that ipod died after he used it for one year -_-

  13. #13
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    349
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Well, I've used a Dell Music DJ for the last 4 years or so, and I have to say its pretty good. Bought it because it was cheap basically, but its a tough little pieve of tech. I only bought the 5 Gig one and the battery only lasts about 8-10 hours, but it stands up to the cold weather pretty nice. Every once and awhile it will just freeze up, usually because it has gotten too cold (I carry it with me when I walk between college classes 15-45 minutes outside), but usually all I have to do to fix it is take the edge of a paperclup and use it to hit the recessed reset butten on the bottom, and it works like a charm.

    I'd still really like to have an Ipod though. Use Itunes all the time for my computer music organization because its really convienent, but having the Dell DJ means I have to use Muismatch Jukebox in order to upload to it, and Musicmatch SUCKS! Really slow and combersome software. All my friends have had good experiences with them, and even my mother likes hers, I feel left out. ; ;

    I would personally say go Ipod, they are usually reliable. It may be that your friends/family have just hade some randomly bad experiences.

  14. #14
    Cerberus
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    441
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

    Another vote of confidence for Creative Labs mp3 players. Glad to see so many people recommending it, too. I started with the 6 GB Nomad model and have been using a 20 GB Zen for... 3-4 years? No problems with it whatsoever, and the battery still lasts over 8 hours. Been thinking of upgrading to a Vision M myself because I'm running out of room (and built in FM Tuner would be nice). I'm a little shocked that the CL mp3 players are still pretty damn thick, but really, it's such a quality product that I don't think I'd ever switch over.

    Minus those wireless headphones I picked up from them. Battery life of 6-8 hours? Maybe for three months. These things barely stay on for 3 hours now.

  15. #15
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    734
    BG Level
    5

    Like everybody else, I'm vouching for Creative here Generally seem so much better.

    I have a Creative Zen: Vision M personally, and it's fantastic. The menus are intuitive, the battery life is great, the picture quality is great considering it's primarily an mp3 player and it just works like a charm.

  16. #16
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    386
    BG Level
    4

    i rocked a first gen ipod until the end of last year when it went apeshit on me
    now i got a zune and its tits
    Alot of people on campus have 1 so @ dinner or lunch i randomly send them /b/ memes and WHATNOT.

  17. #17
    Cerberus
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    438
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

    someone gave me a zune for xmas and that thing was crap

    would randomly freeze on me in the middle of nowhere all the time, couldnt turn it on or back off unless i ran home and plugged it in the charger

  18. #18
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,726
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    I don't understand how people can like Zune. It's not even recognized as a storage device under Windows

  19. #19
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,119
    BG Level
    7

    well considering i put like 700$ in to ipods to have the all break within 6 months, zune was the seconded choice on my list for big hard drives, had one of my tech freinds put in a 80 gig hard drive for 100$.

    It's really nice for me cuz it holds the better half of my music, and it's nice to put movies on in different formats then mp4.

    The build of it is nice. feels like it's mad out of plastic, but it really holds up well when you drop it.

    the only negative i have about it, is that it isn't recognized by Windows media player.

    other then that it's perfect for me.

  20. #20
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    357
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    Quote Originally Posted by Mifaco
    I don't understand how people can like Zune. It's not even recognized as a storage device under Windows
    I didn't realize this was such a selling point for mp3 players...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. MP3 Players II
    By Russta in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 2009-06-05, 21:47
  2. Need a video mp3 player
    By Melena in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2007-04-20, 00:03
  3. MP3 players
    By Russta in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 2006-02-16, 13:47