Recently DL'd a movie and it's in MKV format, anyone know what codecs to use for that?
Recently DL'd a movie and it's in MKV format, anyone know what codecs to use for that?
I know this combo pack covers MKV. I hate that format though, never seems to decode well no matter what player/codec pack I use. Hope you have better luck!
EDIT: Don't worry about the Soviet theme of that webpage, it's a legit site with no viruses... scared me at first too![]()
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
Plays damn near every format
Actually, while VLC does play practically everything, its built in codec for MKV is terrible. This is one of the rare cases where Media Player Classic or Windows Media Center plays a format better. Try VLC for sure, but your experience is like mine the video will play much much better in WMP.Originally Posted by b6c7565
I hate this format it seems all the 720HD stuff is in this format and now they added Divx/xvid support on 360/PS3 i can't stream it from my comp. Anyone know a good convrter?
MKV is not a codec, its just a container format like *.avi, *.mpg, *.mov etc. If you're having problems playing it with VLC, chances are its your PC.Originally Posted by Cephius
I know MKV isn't a codec, but you do need a codec to play it just like anything else. And for whatever reason, it decodes horribly in VLC. It plays slow, out of sync, and is very choppy. If i play it in MPC it is better but still flawed, and if I play it in Media Center it's flawless. It makes little sense, but if it plays terribly in one player and flawlessly in another, it means my PC isn't the problem.Originally Posted by Zigma
The software that handles MKVs and demuxes the streams is called a splitter. VLC uses it's own, anyone with CCCP installed is using Haali Media Splitter. MPC and Media Center are both DirectShow players, so they're using the same splitter, the difference in performance is most likely because of a wrong setting in MPC.Originally Posted by Cephius
Thanks for the info, apparently the splitter for VLC doesn't work well with MKV files for whatever reason. I, like another poster in this thread, have tried to play 720p files encoded in this format and they play pretty bad in VLC.Originally Posted by Zosi
That might be related to the codec in use too. 720p video is usually done in H.264 for better compression, which is a bitch and a half to decode in terms of power required. A lot of video cards have hardware H.264 decoding, which VLC probably wouldn't make use of, but WMP would. If the CPU utilization is substantially higher in VLC, that might be why.Originally Posted by Cephius
It must differ per system then, I've played numerous mkv files fine with VLC.
Athlon X2 4000+ @2.1ghz
http://i30.tinypic.com/35ndds1.png
720p .mkv in Media Player Classic.
http://i25.tinypic.com/ji2e78.png
720p .mkv in VLC.
I don't have any problems in either programs while playing 720p despite the high usage on that 1 core in MPC. 1080p is a different story... MPC it just doesn't play well at all for me, I haven't tried it in VLC though. I have an old PCI Radeon 9250 btw lolz, no HD decoding for me. D:
I say just use what works best, no reason to argue either of them since there is no one size fits all for anything.
I completely agree, got off topic a bit but my main point was to point out to the OP that sometimes different applications will play the same file completely differently.Originally Posted by Cjskater
Haali Media Splitter + FFDShow.
This.Originally Posted by Snowknight26
HD or![]()
VLC works fine for me, flawless quality even when I full screen it at 1920X1200
usually i'm just download the k-lite media codec pack. Save my trouble to figure out other codec if one does not work and vise versa. But usually your pc spec will be one of the player issue too, especially when watching the MKV format.
Speaking of which, how are you liking the site?Originally Posted by Epical
![]()
Absolutely loving it. Planet Earth was a bitch of a download, but it was sooooo worth it.Originally Posted by Snowknight26
Grats on CtrlHD too.![]()