Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,903
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

    Showing confidence without arrogance (job-related)

    Possibly silly question, I don't know. But I always hear/read that you want to show confidence, sell yourself, etc. when looking for a job. I can do this in gaming, but I'm pretty sure I go overboard and sound arrogant and that's not what I want to do either.

    How do you find a good middle ground? Dress/body language/words/etc. all needed.

  2. #2
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,332
    BG Level
    7

    I believe the way people come off as arrogant is more in body language than anything else.

    That being said, it's extremely tough to explain this kind of thing lol.

    Dress professional, ask questions, and be yourself. Engage the interviewer with the responses to their questions, don't just give 1 or 2 word responses and sit there like a wet noodle.

    Most of the time interviewers are trained, extensively, to do what they do. Just remember you are playing with an expert, which is why trying to be something you are not almost never works out.

    I don't know if that helped at all.... but it's all I got lol.

  3. #3
    Professional Lurker
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,853
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Braxton Ryker
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    Go in and be the fucking man. Smack papers in the air out of someone's hand, mad dog the hell out of your interviewer as you walk up to them, and hike your feet up on their desk like you own the place. This shows self confidence thus you'll be hired.

  4. #4
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    331
    BG Level
    4

    Seduce them, sleep with them, and then get the job.

  5. #5
    Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,075
    BG Level
    8

    Eh, there's a shit load of factors to consider. However, one of the most important ones is your self-esteem then most of the other shit follows it.

  6. #6
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    BG Level
    8

    It's not arrogant if it's true.

  7. #7
    DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    10,606
    BG Level
    9
    Blog Entries
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by Neosutra View Post
    It's not arrogant if it's true.
    This.

    YOU THE TANK NOW, DOG

  8. #8
    Cardiac Cat
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    11,604
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

    Try to talk a little deeper and slower (not retard slow). It makes you sound more confident/intelligent/deliberate.

    If you start talking faster and bring the pitch up on your voice, the effect is that you sound more like you're flat out selling something (used car salesman style) and people will be more inclined to believe you're lying or exaggerating.

  9. #9
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,903
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

    Mostly decent tips so far, thanks for that.

    How about pre-interview? I have shit for a resume, due to the fact that I've done nothing with my life since dropping out of college. How might I be able to sell that I'm still more intelligent and capable than the majority of other people they'd find for a position? Or do I truly have to go back to college to get a degree completely unrelated to my job to "prove" I'm intelligent to employers?

  10. #10
    Sandworm Swallows
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,185
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglestrike View Post
    Mostly decent tips so far, thanks for that.

    How about pre-interview? I have shit for a resume, due to the fact that I've done nothing with my life since dropping out of college. How might I be able to sell that I'm still more intelligent and capable than the majority of other people they'd find for a position? Or do I truly have to go back to college to get a degree completely unrelated to my job to "prove" I'm intelligent to employers?
    Counts on what kind of job you are going for. Check for any spelling/grammar errors, all it takes is one and most people will trash them. Try to stay away from the templates in Word also, they are good to start out but don't use them 100%. My spelling and grammar suck balls but when it comes to resume i have mult people check before i send them out.

    Edit: As far as the confidence/arrogance everything was said about two posts up, but one thing you should never do. If you are trying to show confidence never look away, keep eye contact. I'm not saying stare at the person you are interviewing, but while you are talking do not avert your eyes every 5 secs.

  11. #11
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,210
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Quote Originally Posted by Quixon View Post
    I believe the way people come off as arrogant is more in body language than anything else.
    I would say it's the other way around, that confidence is in your body language, and arrogance is whether your walk can match your talk.

    If you say you can do all these things and that it's no problem, but your body language betrays you as nervous or insincere, then it might come off as arrogant.

    But if you act calm, collected, confident, and professional, then it'll back up the things you say.

    Alternatively, if you do indeed act confident and talk the big talk and act like you're the biggest thing since sliced bread, then that could be considered arrogant, too. But if you're truly confident, you won't need to talk yourself up so much. You'll just give an aura of capability.

  12. #12
    Zeh
    Zeh is offline
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    319
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

    Act somewhere between the combined personalities of Jay Z and Kanye West, the extremes of Confidence and Arrogance respectively.

Similar Threads

  1. Job Advice! (Resume related)
    By aduidarnenye in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2011-02-26, 17:28
  2. Anyone that has a programming related job
    By Furtwangler in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2009-10-16, 14:24