+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Mass Effect: Andromeda (PC/Mac/PS4/XB1)

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/biowar...f-mass-effect/
    Michael Gamble, producer on the Mass Effect franchise at BioWare, has shared a new image of him playing what appears to be the next Mass Effect game. Gamble also teased its followers as he claimed that the next chapter of the Mass Effect series is upon us. A lot of speculation arose from that comment and even though BioWare has not revealed anything official as of yet, we can expect to hear more about this new Mass Effect title in due time.

From what we know so far, the new Mass Effect will not feature Shepard and will be powered by DICE’s Frostbite 3 engine.

Apart from that, little is known about this new Mass Effect title. Will it be a sequel or a prequel? Will it be a cross-platform title? Will it focus on action or will it offer more RPG elements? And will it feature significantly bigger maps than its predecessors?

Let’s hope that BioWare will answer these questions sooner than later.

http://www.dsogaming.com/wp-content/...XrIcAALzgd.jpg

[UPDATE]

The official Frostbite Twitter account claimed that we should get ready for some gorgeous futuristic eye candy as the next Mass Effect is now on Frostbite. YaN7ck Roy, studio Director for BioWare in Montreal, has also released a new image from what seems to be a new character from the next part of the Mass Effect series.

http://www.dsogaming.com/wp-content/...mPCQAAfbK5.jpg

[UPDATE2]

It’s now Gary Stewart’s turn, level designer at BioWare Montreal. Stewart has shared an image from what seems to be an environment from the new Mass Effect game.

http://www.dsogaming.com/wp-content/...RuCMAAHYe5.jpg

[UPDATE 3]

Manveer Heir, gameplay designer at BioWare on the next Mass Effect game, has shared another image – and perhaps the last one – from the new Mass Effect title that is powered by Frostbite 3.
    http://www.dsogaming.com/wp-content/...gkCIAIukTS.jpg

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

please include the Yahg kthx

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

frostbite 3 mass effect game? holy shit yes please.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Dragon Age and Mass Effect are both rocking the Frostbite engine going forward.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Honestly if it is ME I hope it's either a sequel or a game that takes place at the same time as the ME series. I really don't want a prequel. I've never been a huge fan of prequels.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

I don't mind prequels but I've got to agree on this one. I think a sequel/simultaneous would be best. Especially if you can import your color.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    Honestly if it is ME I hope it's either a sequel or a game that takes place at the same time as the ME series. I really don't want a prequel. I've never been a huge fan of prequels.
    The only problem I can see with a sequel would mean it'd have to establish a canon ending for 3, and I can't see that going down without some massive backlash from some group of people.

I'm in the same boat as you though, I'd much rather see a sequel, since any sort of prequel would basically just end in "lol you got destroyed by the reapers, gj".

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    The only problem I can see with a sequel would mean it'd have to establish a canon ending for 3, and I can't see that going down without some massive backlash from some group of people.

I'm in the same boat as you though, I'd much rather see a sequel, since any sort of prequel would basically just end in "lol you got destroyed by the reapers, gj".
    It wouldn't have to be canon though. Just do what they did at the beginning of ME2 if you didn't play through ME1. Have a random Q&A portion to start the game to go over what choices you made. The ending would have been canon for your particular game. It's an easy way for them to avoid having to man up and actually announce what the real canon ending was. All I know is that if Vega is the main protagonist I'm out lol. Truth be told I may not pick it up at all. Yes fuck you all, I'm still bitter lol.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

at least you can play RE6

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Totally forgot yesterday was N7 day, missed my chance to play multiplayer with the devs and troll them directly

Ridill
    BG Level

Play as Saren, first mission: kill shepard

go

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    It wouldn't have to be canon though. Just do what they did at the beginning of ME2 if you didn't play through ME1. Have a random Q&A portion to start the game to go over what choices you made. The ending would have been canon for your particular game. It's an easy way for them to avoid having to man up and actually announce what the real canon ending was. All I know is that if Vega is the main protagonist I'm out lol. Truth be told I may not pick it up at all. Yes fuck you all, I'm still bitter lol.
    i feel ya.

as for a little Q&A session, all they have to do is ask if you like red, blue, or green.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Not sure if I need to spoiler this about the endings, but just in case:
    Spoiler: show
    Wouldn't the Destroy ending naturally be canon? It's kind of what the entire trilogy was going for the whole time--destroy the Reapers.

Both control and synthesis alters the universe in such a way that makes sequels hard to execute on various levels (e.g. control--having reapers on your side, synthesis--no more conflict). Unless they undermine the whole idea of control or synthesis, but then that'd cheapen the entire original trilogy.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Anakron View Post
    Not sure if I need to spoiler this about the endings, but just in case:
    Spoiler: show
    Wouldn't the Destroy ending naturally be canon? It's kind of what the entire trilogy was going for the whole time--destroy the Reapers.

Both control and synthesis alters the universe in such a way that makes sequels hard to execute on various levels (e.g. control--having reapers on your side, synthesis--no more conflict). Unless they undermine the whole idea of control or synthesis, but then that'd cheapen the entire original trilogy.
    I would be inclined to agree with you. Sadly Bioware will never outright say what they think is the canon ending. It's up left up to your own interpretation.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

kind of funny that as much as most of us hated the lack of actual impact of our choices throughout the series we also want to know the canon ending lol

The canon ending was Bioware making some deposits in their bank account and that community rep quitting(I think she quit?), everything else is up in the air!

Wondering what it would be like if its a sequel. With the reapers "gone" then who is the omnipresent bad guy? Cool thing about the reapers was just how impossible to kill they were and how utterly hopeless the situation was.

That said, game better have Tali and Liara in it. I dont give a shit how, it just better. I need my waifus

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    at least you can play RE6
    never gets old

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I imagine they will make a Mass Effect version of the Dragon Age Keep to straighten things out.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

problem with using a q&a thing for the sequel is that the variables that would be present in a sequel would be a lot more drastic than the ones found in me1 and me2. the variables in me1 & me2 were more "localized" and personal to shepard... particular individuals dead, particular people promoted, etc.

the variables in me3 have far more far-reaching galactic consequences. we're talking potentially entire races potentially extinct. so whereas in me2 and me3 you simply swapped ashley for kaidan, wreav for wrex, padok for mordin etc. with little trouble, in the sequel you'd have to be able to swap the entire geth race for the entire quarian race... and then you have to take into account the possibility of both races being dead, if you chose the geth over the quarians during the story and then chose the "destroy" option at the end. krogans would likely have to have a very minimal role since you may have killed off the entire race in me3, but that would make no sense if you did cure the genophage, since their survival should mean that they would play a huge role in galactic politics going forward.

yeah we potentially killed off a race in me1 (the rachni). but they worked around that by having the reapers create an a.i. construct of the queen. so what, they're going to have a.i. constructs of every race that was potentially killed off in me3 as a possible option? i doubt that would fly.

and then yeah what anakron said. but then if we go with "destroy" as the canon ending, then no more geth. and c'mon who didn't fall in love with those flashlight heads during me3?

so yeah i can't imagine how they could possibly make a sequel without choosing a canon ending, unless they're seriously willing to program essentially 2-3 or more entirely different storylines into one package... which wouldn't be such a bad thing at all actually.

on a side, somewhat unrelated note, i think it's a horrible idea that they're planning to make me1 into a movie. to put a 40 hour story into a max 3.5 hour movie sounds ridiculous. i guess the idea is that they would focus on the central story, but even that would be a stretch. and really for me a big part of the fun of me1 was exploring the new universe and learning the mythology of it all. if they only focus on the story and completely skip the exploration, the story would be missing crucial context and feel like a really empty experience, especially for those of us who played the trilogy. not to mention the characters would just feel wrong and stupid with different actors playing them. plus then the movie would be establishing some canon decisions: ashley or kaidan, rachni queen, wrex lives or dies, etc. it's not like they can poll the audience as the movie is rolling or something.

so my idea is that the mass effect movie should be a prequel trilogy, maybe covering the first contact war or the discovery of the mars archives or something like that. through the course of the trilogy they introduce the new races and talk about some of the history of the universe, and thereby establish the context for the universe. then the original mass effect fans are happy as we get a whole new story rather than an overly compressed version of one we already played that messes with the decisions we made while playing it, new mass effect fans are happy because they are slowly introduced to the universe rather than rushed through a complicated story, and bioware/ea is happy because now they have a whole new generation of people who are introduced to the mass effect universe and will now buy the trilogy cos they want to see what happens after the story in the movie. win-win-win.

so the movies should be prequels, and the new game should be a sequel if and only if they're seriously willing to devote the time necessary to take into account every possible variable, no matter how big, that took place during the trilogy. if not, then leave the endings alone and make a side story. but no matter what i'd be against their choosing a canon ending.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

actually, after a little thought, i realized something that might work for a sequel without imposing a canon ending. there were plenty of races that didn't have a prominent role in the trilogy that could step up and fill in the shoes of any races that might be dead. for example, if your game ended with both the quarians and geth dead, a race like the drell could step up and fill their roles. if the quarians and/or geth survived, then they assume their usual role and the drell remain a fringe "referenced" race, as in the trilogy.

or the flip side, the quarians and geth are relegated to fringe roles off the bat, with the explanation that they are busy rebuilding rannoch, and therefore cannot contribute to whatever new danger the new storyline is about. and if they're dead, then because they were relegated to fringe roles anyway, no great loss to the overall story.

similarly if the krogan are dead, the yahg could step up and fill that void. if the krogan are alive, the yahg are still trapped on their world. it would still require some stretches and liberal use of alternate storylines; quarians and geth do not exactly replace each other in the universe, and races like the drell, as cool as they are, certainly don't fulfill anywhere near the same function as those guys. so for the races to be done justice, the storyline would still need the flexibility of potentially going in fairly drastic different directions based on which races are spotlighted. but still, it's an option, if bioware is willing to put in that work.

the downside to this of course is that you can't have it all. for those of us who were able to save all the races it would be great to have a new story in which the krogan, quarians, geth, drell, and yahg and the numerous other races are all a big part of it. and if the quarians, geth, and krogan remain the "default" races, then those of us who saved everyone couldn't experience the story that includes the other races that step up. perhaps if all the races survived, then over the course of the new story they will give us options of which races we want to work with, which races should take those prominent roles, without killing or alienating the other races?

i think i'm putting way too much thought into this. time to sleep.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast