Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Playstation 5 - Do you want fries with that? - November 12, 2020 - $399/$499

It's A Necessity
    Kenichiro Yoshida told the Financial Times that "it's necessary to have a next-generation hardware".

However, he declined to say whether the successor would be branded the PlayStation 5, the newspaper added.

The announcement comes at a time when Sony and other tech firms have been experimenting with streaming games from remote servers as an alternative.

The Japanese company allows titles on its cloud-based PlayStation Now service to be played via PCs, and at one time also provided access to some TVs and Blu-ray players.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45801953
    https://www.ft.com/content/25f9a068-...f-ee390057b8c9

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

First Party has Begun Focusing on Developing for PS5
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/son...#post-17271817

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I'll look for the link, but I read that there will be two versions of PS5 and XBOXNext; one version will be $100 and will stream the games and then a $600 version that is disc/digital (like they are now). I'm not against this since it allows for options. Pipedream: they are completely backwards compatible with no issues and come out in 2019 (October-December). Sony will obviously rock the 4k disc and those players do play all discs, but the PS5 would need the software to render the PS4 code.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

I would pay $600 for a PS5 that could push ps4 games @4k/60... but anyone who is paying $100 for a game console is probably connecting it through wifi. The whole idea seems silly/half baked..

I just think we're stuck in a weird time in tech. 4k tv displays are becoming normal, but gpus that can drive them still seem out of reach for the average person. And on the flip side, streaming content is becoming normal, but streaming video games still seems out of reach for the person who's connecting their console through wifi

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
    I would pay $600 for a PS5 that could push ps4 games @4k/60... but anyone who is paying $100 for a game console is probably connecting it through wifi. The whole idea seems silly/half baked..

I just think we're stuck in a weird time in tech. 4k tv displays are becoming normal, but gpus that can drive them still seem out of reach for the average person. And on the flip side, streaming content is becoming normal, but streaming video games still seems out of reach for the person who's connecting their console through wifi
    Nividia shield works great, it optimizes the settings for your connection and uses Nvidia PC's to power so they look great.

With most ISPs having data caps in the US, I don't see game streaming being attainable for most of the real gaming population.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I see the streaming device (if it even exists) as the casual option. Someone who would play a handful of games at most. More competitive players would get the higher priced version. Just like PCs. LoL casual would have a cheap laptop whereas the hardcore would probably have a gnarly desktop (overkill even).

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

In this generation streaming version would be more of a beta test. There are obvious limitations but from apps to microsoft’s business suite, everything is fast-moving towards subscription/cloud model. It is very beneficial for the successful companies as they have a much stronger control over the finances through the subscriptions. The other way around for firms without a strong ecosystem though.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Think you guys underestimate what a $100 next gen console would do for gaming in general. That's as cheap as it gets, as low of a barrier to entry that you're going to have. Even if people want to later upgrade to the box for something, getting a $100 console at launch is not a big ask. The immediate install base will be massive, more games sold, higher margins, I didnt think they'd tried to mainstream it but the infrastructure is there and growing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Streaming sounds cool, but try aiming in fortnite with a $100 brobox streaming at 480p over wifi..

Kids could realistically get better image quality and controls playing on their iphone

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Very few consumers ACTUALLY think like this. Also, if it IS a kid, parent probably bought it for them. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I had to tell hundreds of parents that Mario is Nintendo only. Or Minecraft was only PC, then only PC or Xbox, then finally on everything.

"Do you have the newest Mario?"
    *hands them Wii U title*
    "Do you have it for PS4?"

These are not trolls. These are legit parents trying to get something their kid asked for (which they probably asked because every other kid at school has it). I'm sure those $100 consoles sell like crazy, only to find that they don't play digital games, just stream them. Try returning a new, opened item. WE, as informed adults, understand that the infrastructure to support this is not entirely in place (the Fortnite like stuff). Would this be more than sufficient for single players games? Probably sufficient enough. It'll be far more infuriating when you play against them while you have the top PS with a wired connection and they snipe/close range you with their choppy wifi.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Yup. This isnt for "real" gamers, a $100 stream box is absolutely for the larger group of casual gamers who dont need the prohibitively expensive box that will be required to render next gen games on current-ish tech.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Playstation 5

I feel like PS4 was the last console I’ve probably invested in for the foreseeable future. PC gaming has come such a long ass way since the SNES/Genesis days. I myself seem to be more interested in the $100 streaming version of the console versus the physical because I’d hardly touch it anyways.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    I feel like PS4 was the last console I’ve probably invested in for the foreseeable future. PC gaming has come such a long ass way since the SNES/Genesis days. I myself seem to be more interested in the $100 streaming version of the console versus the physical because I’d hardly touch it anyways.
    I really dont know how I feel. I'll probably get the stream box first until some great 4k/HDR games come out and then upgrade, unless they can really do something like stream 4k games.

Honestly the balls in their court. If they make this happen and it plays worth a damn I'm all in.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I know people make a lot of noise about backwards compatibility, some for fair reason. I honestly have barely sold any of my PS4 games cause they're mostly exclusives. The others just aren't worth selling.

Microsoft revealed stats on how many people use it and it's debatable if it was worth it. Though, this was a few years ago. I think more recently it has increased significantly.

Anyway, if the PS5 is not backwards compat with PS4, I think Sony has made an egregious error on their behalf. There is literally no reason. PS3, I kinda get because of a different dev. structure, but shit, MS said it wasn't possible at first and now they have practically every game from og xbox and 360 on their system. If Sony wants to make it work, they can get it to work.

The ONLY reason I could see them not including BC is because they might lose potential sales from PS4 systems. I could see them doing that. However, saying it isn't possible, is a complete crock as pretty much all games are developed on PC's now. They would only be helping themselves if they included it.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Looking at upcoming games like Anthem crippling a 2080ti @1440p; I don't see how the PS5 will run anything substantially taxing at 4k/60. If it could run PS4 games at native 4k and consistent 60fps, i'd call that alone a win. Anything past that would be amazing.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Sonys arrogance over the past couple of years has made me expect a total disaster next gen. I'm gonna put money down right now that ps5 has no backwards compatibility and the next xbox is like fully compatible with all previous xbox consoles. Also Phil Spencer gets up on stage and savagely mocks Sony for not having it ala Sony 2013.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    This is me. Even tho I'm running a pretty low end GPU setup right now (Sapphire R9 390x2) I still would rather play on my PC and I'll do PS4 for the exclusives. Only non exclusives I have purchased was recently and it was Watch Dogs 2 + Resident Evil 7 for $20 before tax (Target B1 G1) and The Evil Within 2 for $10 before tax (local supermarket).

I am not a "consoles are for losers pc master race only!" type. If console gaming works better for some, cool. But when I can run a some games at a constant 1440P over 100 FPS (recently got a new monitor and DOOM at 1440P 144 fps is the shit) or a steady 50-60 fps I'm going to do that every time. Not to mention having the modding community come up with things that can extend a games life for hours (Elder Scrolls, Fallout, etc).

I'd only consider the $100 option if the more expensive one didn't make sense at all. Shoot, may not bother because the backlog is so big anyways.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comment...reddit-android

[Quote]Sony patents a new system of backward compatibility of PS5 with PS4, PS3, PS2, and PSX.[/CODE]

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Also regarding streaming the shield is around $100 and streams 1080p/60 PC games over WiFi without issue and really solid across Ethernet. Good enough to play games like Monster Hunter and not die. I imagine this is what the future looks like and being able to so 1080/60 will be more than enough for most people for a $100 box.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag