You're on a gameshow, "Let's Make a Deal". There are three doors, Door 1, Door 2, and Door 3. Behind two doors are goats and behind one door is a car. We're assuming that you want the car, and that the host knows where everything is.
You pick door 1. The host, Monty Hall, says, "Let's make a deal. I'm going to show you what's behind Door 2." He does. It's a goat. Then he says, "Now you have a choice. You can either stay with door number 1, or you can switch to door number three, and take whatever's behind whichever door you pick."
So, do you stay, do you switch, and does it matter either way?
A friend keeps bugging me with this stupid ass question (he also typed it) and says that the chance that you get the car *after* you switch is doubled; my argument is that it isn't, it'll stay 50/50, here's why I argue that (yeah I realize I'm probably wrong, but math can kiss my ass lately):
So, you have a 1/3 chance of getting the car initially, after he shows you a goat and you switch, you're supposedly supposed to have a 2/3 chance of getting the car. I don't think so, because if you pick a goat, he'll show you the other one, if you pick the other goat he shows you that, 2 chance for the car; now, if you pick the car, he can show you *either* of the two goats, meaning 4 total scenarios (assuming he'll pick at random, instead of always picking the same goat if you were to pick the car) meaning 2 chances to get the car out of 4 total = 50% chance.
So what do you think, I'm sure I'm wrong (as every website contends it is in fact 2/3) but eh, I don't like mathematicians >=(
XI Wiki

