Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: WiiKey     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #1
    Cerberus
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    406
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

    WiiKey

    Does anyone know of any site you can buy a Wii with this already installed? I have absolutely no idea how to and would most likely kill myself trying to do it.

    Any replies appreciated.

  2. #2
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,176
    BG Level
    8

    Re: WiiKey

    Just doing a quick search, other than some Classified sites like Sell.com (which i would hesitate to go through) i didn't find anything. There are WiiKey installation places though, most of which seem to be in Australia or the UK. I imagine at this point, with some sites getting shutdown indefinitely lately, it is going to get more difficult to find a premodded Wii.

  3. #3
    Cerberus
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    406
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

    Re: WiiKey

    Someone in my college class told me one; (inc. big link)

    http://www.konsolenprofis.com/shop/en/W ... p::53.html

    For those interested.

    Thanks anyway

  4. #4
    Love-God among men.
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,580
    BG Level
    7

    Re: WiiKey

    Definitely interested in doing this, but I'm at college so pirating games is near impossible

  5. #5
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,410
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Rui Seiken
    FFXIV Server
    Jenova
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Re: WiiKey

    Anyone know if it's a hard soldering job? I've never soldered anything before, and I'm betting this would be a bad choice to start on, yes?

  6. #6
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,176
    BG Level
    8

    Re: WiiKey

    My understanding is that is is a pretty painless install... if you are comfortable doing that kind of mod. The WiiKey is soldered directly onto a portion of the motherboard, no wires or anything like that. It just sits "on top". Check this page out for some instructions:

    Install Page

    Still not something i am comfortable doing, especially since the Wii is the Mega Boss's and she would kick my ass if i messed it up =)

  7. #7
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,410
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Rui Seiken
    FFXIV Server
    Jenova
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Re: WiiKey

    I always heard the quicksolder points were shitty and usually not lined up right?

  8. #8
    The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,765
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

    Re: WiiKey

    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20372

    The Wiikey is a fucking difficult install. A few things you should need to know. If you buy a new Wii, it will most likely have the chip that has to be dremilled. The top of the chip has to be grinded off and the wires have to be installed to the contacts inside the chip. This is definately a professional only install unless you want to buy a used one that was bought before may of this year. Those should have the old chipset.

    Next thing is updates for the wiikey. As of right now, some gamecube games audio is fucked because the fix for the gamecube streaming audio is crappy. Fortunately, the Wiikey crew is supposed to release the update in a few days, however, it has been leaked (the new update) on blackcats and you can get the update now if you have a BC account.

    Also, I'll sell my perfectly working Wii with the newly updated chip, 2 wiimotes and 2 nunchuks, and all my games, which is about 10 or so, for $300 (or trade for a 360). My chip (the 2nd one) was professionally installed by the folks at modawii.com. Includes new metroid, new madden, new tiger woods, elebits, super paper mario, mario pary 8, etc etc.

  9. #9
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,410
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Rui Seiken
    FFXIV Server
    Jenova
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Re: WiiKey

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyche
    http://bluegartr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20372

    The Wiikey is a fucking difficult install. A few things you should need to know. If you buy a new Wii, it will most likely have the chip that has to be dremilled. The top of the chip has to be grinded off and the wires have to be installed to the contacts inside the chip. This is definately a professional only install unless you want to buy a used one that was bought before may of this year. Those should have the old chipset.

    Next thing is updates for the wiikey. As of right now, some gamecube games audio is fucked because the fix for the gamecube streaming audio is crappy. Fortunately, the Wiikey crew is supposed to release the update in a few days, however, it has been leaked (the new update) on blackcats and you can get the update now if you have a BC account.

    Also, I'll sell my perfectly working Wii with the newly updated chip, 2 wiimotes and 2 nunchuks, and all my games, which is about 10 or so, for $300 (or trade for a 360). My chip (the 2nd one) was professionally installed by the folks at modawii.com. Includes new metroid, new madden, new tiger woods, elebits, super paper mario, mario pary 8, etc etc.
    I got my Wii at launch, so no big deal there. But man, $300 is a fucking steal. Too bad I already have one. D:

  10. #10
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    11,977
    BG Level
    9

    Re: WiiKey

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyche
    Also, I'll sell my perfectly working Wii with the newly updated chip, 2 wiimotes and 2 nunchuks, and all my games, which is about 10 or so, for $300 (or trade for a 360). My chip (the 2nd one) was professionally installed by the folks at modawii.com. Includes new metroid, new madden, new tiger woods, elebits, super paper mario, mario pary 8, etc etc.
    A few questions:

    1. Do you have to buy a modchip yourself and then send it to the guys at modawii?

    2. Do you have to prevent the wii to go online like a modded xbox 360?

    3. Have you upgraded the firmware since modding the wii?

    4. Do all games work?

    I already have a wii (got it on launch day), so modding it is pretty tempting....

  11. #11
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,410
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Rui Seiken
    FFXIV Server
    Jenova
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Re: WiiKey

    Quote Originally Posted by octopus

    A few questions:

    1. Do you have to buy a modchip yourself and then send it to the guys at modawii?

    2. Do you have to prevent the wii to go online like a modded xbox 360?

    3. Have you upgraded the firmware since modding the wii?

    4. Do all games work?

    I already have a wii (got it on launch day), so modding it is pretty tempting....
    What confuses me the most is that on modawii.com, it says they don't do modchip installations. What gives? >_>

  12. #12
    The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,765
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

    Re: WiiKey

    Quote Originally Posted by octopus
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyche
    Also, I'll sell my perfectly working Wii with the newly updated chip, 2 wiimotes and 2 nunchuks, and all my games, which is about 10 or so, for $300 (or trade for a 360). My chip (the 2nd one) was professionally installed by the folks at modawii.com. Includes new metroid, new madden, new tiger woods, elebits, super paper mario, mario pary 8, etc etc.
    A few questions:

    1. Do you have to buy a modchip yourself and then send it to the guys at modawii?

    2. Do you have to prevent the wii to go online like a modded xbox 360?

    3. Have you upgraded the firmware since modding the wii?

    4. Do all games work?

    I already have a wii (got it on launch day), so modding it is pretty tempting....
    1. Yes, and I had a co-worker attempt the install, which failed. I then sent the Wii and chip to the guy at modawii.com and the modchip didnt work (was burned up during failed install), so I had to order a 2nd modchip and have it shipped directly to him.

    2. No. I go online, play games like Strikers, Madden, etc etc.

    3. Yes, latest firmware, works fine. You have to be careful though, some games have firmware upgrades built in when you burn them, like super paper mario. If you were to burn a copy of the PAL super paper mario and put it in an NTSC Wii, and then it upgrades the firmware to a PAL upgrade, it bricks your Wii. This is easily preventable by always updating firmware online through the Wii console, and not through a game.

    4. All GC games, no. No modchip offers 100% compatibility with 100% of GC games. I don't really know why. Theres a list of games that will not work somewhere, but the site eludes me. All the Wii games, PAL and NTSC that I have burned work fine. I haven't burned any GC games.

    Re: That stipulation was never at modawii.com when I sent my Wii there. Recently, the government has cracked down on modchip installers. team modders was recently shut down I think as well, so it wouldn't surprise me if modawii.com has recently changed their services. Something you may also try is pulling the DVD drive from the Wii yourself (requires a special tool), and taking it to a radio repair shop or an electrical shop with professional solderers. Just lie to them and tell them it's a PC drive that you fucked up when you tried to install it in your PC.

  13. #13
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    11,977
    BG Level
    9

    Re: WiiKey

    Thanks for the replies :D

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyche
    4. All GC games, no. No modchip offers 100% compatibility with 100% of GC games. I don't really know why. Theres a list of games that will not work somewhere, but the site eludes me. All the Wii games, PAL and NTSC that I have burned work fine. I haven't burned any GC games.
    Frankly, I don't care about GC games. As long as all Wii games work I'm happy :D