Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,178
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

    FFXI Bump Mapping: Yea or Nay?

    What are people's thoughts on keeping bump mapping enabled for FFXI? Does it really add much in terms of graphical quality or is it just not worth the performance hit. Campaign is starting to stress my system (Athalon 3500+, 2GB RAM, ATi X1600 512 MB) so I'm looking at more ways to stretch my system to keep up 20 fps during campaign if at all possible.

  2. #2
    Black Belt
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,720
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Re: FFXI Bump Mapping: Yea or Nay?

    get a new cpu

  3. #3
    An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,178
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

    Re: FFXI Bump Mapping: Yea or Nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zigma
    get a new cpu
    Well as much as I would like a new CPU/mobo I do enjoy eating for a month too so it's a bit of a toss-up. Sarcasm aside, I know I need to replace it and it's definitely the next upgrade to come.

  4. #4
    Cerberus
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    433
    BG Level
    4
    FFXIV Character
    Windred Sayna
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

    Re: FFXI Bump Mapping: Yea or Nay?

    Bumb Mapping should be done via the GPU, so it shouldn't be a performance hit at all..... but you never know with FFXI. They could be emulating pixel shaders.

  5. #5
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,184
    BG Level
    7

    Re: FFXI Bump Mapping: Yea or Nay?

    Yeah, FFXI is pretty CPU intensive and doesn't really utilize the GPU much.
    Poorly programmed game overall.

  6. #6
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    806
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

    Re: FFXI Bump Mapping: Yea or Nay?

    Should be able to run ffxi fine with it on, that being said I have it on but am not sure if it makes any sort of graphical impact.

  7. #7
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    731
    BG Level
    5

    Re: FFXI Bump Mapping: Yea or Nay?

    There's a comparison pic on the site that shall not be named.

    http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Graphics#Bump_Mapping

  8. #8
    An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,178
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

    Re: FFXI Bump Mapping: Yea or Nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gere
    There's a comparison pic on the site that shall not be named.

    http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Graphics#Bump_Mapping
    Thanks for the link. I ran around the WotG zones and found that the lighting was rather screwy with bump mapping turned off - really didn't look quite as good. FFXI + RotZ zones don't see much different but I think including and after CoP the zone environmental textures and lighting starts to use bump mapping to a more noticeable effect.

  9. #9
    ٩๏̯͡๏)۶

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    12,248
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

    Re: FFXI Bump Mapping: Yea or Nay?

    I can't live without my backlighting in my dungeon! So long as backlighting doesn't work whislt bump mapped, i'll keep bump mapping off.

    Btw that SS doesn't provide justice, the best comparison is when you look at snow with bump mapping on, or the sand in Kuftal tunnel.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2009-04-08, 06:34