Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Newish golfer     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #1
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,198
    BG Level
    7

    Newish golfer

    I’m looking to get back into golf. I messed around with it in high school and some wedding party rounds post that, but haven’t seriously played in quite a few years. Two friends and myself decided to take up a deal and purchase season passes to a local 9 hole course. I’m looking for advice on what I should look for in beginner equipment and any other advice for a beginner golfer.

    My budget is fairly strict as I have a sea of college debt to deal with. I’m looking for a decent set of beginner clubs that costs $50-200. Should I go for used or new? I’m hoping to stay inside a $500 budget while a $300 season pass takes up most of it. Any recommendations on clubs and a bag would be great.

    Should I be looking for a specific length of club? I’m not sure how much of a difference it makes. I’m average height of 5’10”-5’11”. I’m not looking for anything fancy, just a starter set of clubs. The ones I have access to and have used in the past are old with real wood woods; the set is ancient and missing a quite a few clubs.

    Any advice for a beginner golfer is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,954
    BG Level
    7

    I'd recommend going to Dick's sporting goods if you have one near you.

    They usually have golf club sales, you could probably find clubs for around 200-300, and they will work with you to find an appropriate club length for you. They usually have a tee with a net you can hit into as well so you can "test drive" the clubs so to speak.

    My friend got a set for like $100 online somewhere and he seems to do pretty well with them. When he gets in I'll ask him what he got and where he got them so perhaps you can do the same.

  3. #3
    TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,972
    BG Level
    7

    ugh, just like, play an mmo like a normal person.

  4. #4
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,083
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

    Quote Originally Posted by guartz View Post
    ugh, just like, play an mmo like a normal person.
    Normal person?

  5. #5
    Cerberus
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    399
    BG Level
    4

    I have an old irons set that one of my friends gave me when he got new clubs. They're in decent shape but the grips are a little worn. My putter, wedges and woods are all mismatched that I've picked up over the years. I have a really good Big Bertha pitching wedge that I found just off the 18th green of a course.

    EVERY year around this time I always talk about dropping $4-500 on a new set. Then I realize that I only go golfing about 5 times a year and decide to waste my money on other stuff I don't really need.


    My advise: go cheap. Ebay has good deals sometimes. Look on craigs list and goto garage sales. If you do goto to some sort of Golf Emporium, just find a cheap set (50-200 probably about right) that feel comfortable, don't get suckered into the $500 clubs that will "improve" your game.

    Down the line when you get better, and the clubs you use actually make a difference, then spend a few hundred on a good set.

  6. #6
    Black Belt
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,930
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Quote Originally Posted by Suited Aces View Post
    IMy advise: go cheap. Ebay has good deals sometimes. Look on craigs list and goto garage sales. If you do goto to some sort of Golf Emporium, just find a cheap set (50-200 probably about right) that feel comfortable, don't get suckered into the $500 clubs that will "improve" your game. Down the line when you get better, and the clubs you use actually make a difference, then spend a few hundred on a good set.
    I would agree with the majority of the advice here. Find a set you feel comfortable with to start off, then worry about upgrading much later once you know you're going to stick with the game. Right now, a good set of clubs won't be much different from a crappy set when you're starting off and trying to break 120. Plenty of new golfers also turn out to hate the game and find it an exercise in frustration,

    I wouldn't buy a set off eBay or Craigslist, though, just because you're going to want to feel the clubs in your hands before you use them, or maybe you won't like the weight distribution of graphite clubs. You might not like the texture of the grip, or the size of the handle, which you won't know until you get the clubs in your hands. If you buy a cheap set off eBay and end up hating the way it feels, you're going to regret it.

    If you can find a Used Sporting Goods store somewhere in your area, that's a good place to start as well. Depending on their size, you can usually pick from a couple of complete sets.

  7. #7
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    764
    BG Level
    5

    If you're a bigger guy go with Steel clubs.

  8. #8
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    893
    BG Level
    5

    I'm 6'4 and bought a new set a year ago. I had to extend the shafts so I wasn't squatting when I hit. For someone around 5'11 you should be ok with the standard length. Steel shafts are probably best since graphite is probably too weak if you can swing fast.

    If you are looking for $200 clubs I'd suggest craigslist or going to Dicks/Sports Authority since they should have used clubs on sale. I play about once a week (taking golf as my PE for the third time lol) and still don't have a full set. I figure I can spend my $ on better things that getting a 3 wood I'll rarely hit.

  9. #9
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,165
    BG Level
    10

    At your height most typical clubs are going to be about the perfect length for you anyway, so that won't be too much of a concern.


    Look into used stuff as much as you can.


    If that doesn't work out, I'd strongly suggest spending $250-350 on a new set.


    Seriously, a $200 set of new clubs is going to be unbelievable trash unless you get extremely lucky on a clearance or whatever. Find a $350ish set and try to find the best deal/on sale/negotiate it down closer to your price range.

Similar Threads

  1. Newb golfer
    By Thefonz in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 2010-09-28, 19:40
  2. A question for any serious golfers
    By sirdude in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2008-08-14, 15:00
  3. Newish KH2? Pics
    By Kuya in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 2007-03-19, 21:15