Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    17,539
    BG Level
    9

    Returned money after purchase?

    I used paypal to purchase a $200 headphone amp/dac for my laptop and ipod. When I first purchased it, it showed the money being taken out of my account and left me w/ my available balance. I just went to check my statement today and that $200 is back and my statement shows no sign of it ever being taken out in the first place.

    Needless to say, this is leaving me rather confused. If the guy sends me a PM on the headphone forums with the issue, I'd be more than happy to pay again, provided he still doesn't have his money and there was a glitch of some sort, but at the same time, if he noticed $200 disappear, I'm sure the first thing he'd do is PM me, so I don't want to be the one to bring it up, as the obvious response would be "yea, I didn't get any money"

  2. #2
    I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    17,539
    BG Level
    9

    I made three purchases last week, after double checking my statement, the one rom Ebay is gone, too. I bought a USB hub for my laptop as well, but that charge remained. It was also from the headphone forums.

    So we have

    Dac/amp: Money is back
    LOD from ebay: Money is back
    USB Hub: Money is charged

    2 headphone forums, 1 ebay, all 3 Paypal

  3. #3
    YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,453
    BG Level
    7
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

    Back when I bought my PS3 there was a security deposit on it (it was a special edition) that would be refunded after the purchase cleared; thing is, the deposit was in the same charge amount as the purchase itself. To this day I could swear they refunded the full price of the purchase, I can't find it on my statements anywhere.

    Doesn't really help you, just figure I'd add that I've seen similar (though not from paypal). I don't really lose sleep over it unless the seller cries about it lol

  4. #4
    I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    17,539
    BG Level
    9

    Yea if he says anything for sure, I wouldn't have a problem fixing it, but till then, he's gotta keep up on his own finances.

  5. #5
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    5,360
    BG Level
    8
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

    Sounds like your bank probably reversed the charge because it appeared fraudulent for whatever reason. What do the transaction details for these in your paypal account say?

  6. #6
    I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    17,539
    BG Level
    9

    Original Transaction
    Date Type Status Details Amount
    Apr 4, 2010 Payment To Ben Completed ... -$200.00 USD

    Related Transaction
    Date Type Status Details Amount
    Apr 4, 2010 Charge From Credit Card Completed Details $200.00 USD

    Sent to:
    Ben
    Email:
    @yahoo.com
    Amount sent:
    -$200.00 USD
    Fee amount:
    $0.00 USD
    Net amount:
    -$200.00 USD

    Date:
    Apr 4, 2010
    Time:
    20:39:32 PDT
    Status:
    Completed

  7. #7
    YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,453
    BG Level
    7
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

    What did you end up buying btw? There's not a lot of comparative info on head-fi and I've been thinking about some new phones and an amp.

  8. #8
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    5,360
    BG Level
    8
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

    When did the money reappear in your account? If the bank reversed the charge they would credit you immediately (or atleast BoA does), but it would take them a few days to get the money back from paypal, than for paypal to respond by making your account negative.

  9. #9
    I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    17,539
    BG Level
    9

    I ended up getting the Ibasso d4 mamba dac/amp combo

  10. #10
    I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    17,539
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    When did the money reappear in your account? If the bank reversed the charge they would credit you immediately (or atleast BoA does), but it would take them a few days to get the money back from paypal, than for paypal to respond by making your account negative.
    I have no clue, I hate low money so I am always scared to check my shit lol to see just how low I am. I was going to make another purchase today, so I kinda had to check in order to make sure i didn't go over my limit and i noticed i went from $80ish to $300ish and the only purchase I made that took me from amount B to amount A was the amp, which no longer shows up in the statement.

  11. #11
    netz
    Guest

    Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    Original Transaction
    Date Type Status Details Amount
    Apr 4, 2010 Payment To Ben Completed ... -$200.00 USD

    Related Transaction
    Date Type Status Details Amount
    Apr 4, 2010 Charge From Credit Card Completed Details $200.00 USD
    Umm... do you have a credit card linked to your PayPal account? Without any other knowledge, I'm guessing that $200 is just being taken from your card to restore your PayPal account to its pre-purchase balance.

  12. #12
    I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    17,539
    BG Level
    9

    I pay my paypal w/ a debit card, but I don't have one directly linked, no.

  13. #13
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    5,360
    BG Level
    8
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

    Quote Originally Posted by netz View Post
    Umm... do you have a credit card linked to your PayPal account? Without any other knowledge, I'm guessing that $200 is just being taken from your card to restore your PayPal account to its pre-purchase balance.
    That's the money being used to pay for the actual purchase.

    Guess the only thing you can do is keep checking your paypal, and hope for

    http://twentydollars.files.wordpress...your_favor.jpg

  14. #14
    I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    17,539
    BG Level
    9

    Out of the three purchases the one is still charged and accounted for in my statement. Bought them all within the span of a day of each other.

  15. #15
    netz
    Guest

    Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    That's the money being used to pay for the actual purchase.
    Gotcha. Haven't used PayPal in a million years.

  16. #16
    I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    17,539
    BG Level
    9

    The thing is though I've never had anything disappear and reappear before. Once it's shown it'll say money is not yet taken, but in case it does go through my available balance is ____

    Now it doesn't even show that and my available balance is the same as it was before I made the purchase (and after the purchase I had a new available balance which was lower, but now gone)

  17. #17
    I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    17,539
    BG Level
    9

    A few people gave possibility of it being the weekend so the bank not being update.

    While that may be a possibility, I paid for this last Sunday (the 4th)

    And checking my statement

    Purchases:
    4-2
    4-5
    4-6
    4-7
    4-8

    So things i purchased before the 4th are there and things I purchased after the 4th are there, but the 4th is missing.

  18. #18
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    5,360
    BG Level
    8
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

    Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    The thing is though I've never had anything disappear and reappear before. Once it's shown it'll say money is not yet taken, but in case it does go through my available balance is ____

    Now it doesn't even show that and my available balance is the same as it was before I made the purchase (and after the purchase I had a new available balance which was lower, but now gone)
    With BoA for me, an automatically reversed payment won't show up in the history. Like I reactivated a FFXI account recently and bought mini-expansions on it at the same time, got LM-21ed like a week later, and the money was back and the charges were all just gone from my statement.

  19. #19
    I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    17,539
    BG Level
    9

    So far, so good. Monday, hour from noon. Still nothing showing up in bank statement. Someone said it could just be because it was the weekend that the bank hadn't been able to update yet. I may walk free with this! yay

  20. #20
    New Merits
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    226
    BG Level
    4

    do you have boa? I had a similar thing happen to me on a $1000 purchase but then showed back up about a week later

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tax return money: How will you spend it?
    By Norelco in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 169
    Last Post: 2008-02-10, 21:51
  2. after much improvement its time to brag again
    By Veritas in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 2004-10-30, 03:43
  3. Need help on money making methods
    By in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2004-09-16, 21:57